If FSH is low...what do you do???

spinn

Awards
  • Established
If you have low FSH...how can you raise it?

I think it is more complicated than that because I believe it is a pituitary issue.

Am I right about that?

Also......what are the symptoms of low FSH?

wildfox

Awards
  • Established
Yes, it is the pituitary that secretes FSH. It is the hypothalamus that tells the pituitary to do that. So, you have to find out the reason for that if that's the case.

I don't know that low FSH would cause apparent symptoms, but I think you'd have a lower than normal sperm count.

virginpose

Awards
I'm in the same situation here too. FSH levels are low, along with low test levels.

Everything I've read says the pituitary is to blame, so I'm waiting for my health insurance to ok the MRI.

Low sperm count / volume is the main symptom.

Not sure how to increase FSH, but I hope someone else has some suggestions.

BigAk

Awards
  • Established
I'm in the same situation here too. FSH levels are low, along with low test levels.

Everything I've read says the pituitary is to blame, so I'm waiting for my health insurance to ok the MRI.

Low sperm count / volume is the main symptom.

Not sure how to increase FSH, but I hope someone else has some suggestions.
A cycle of Nolvadex will increase FSH output along with LH. That's given that there's nothing wrong with your pituitary.

virginpose

Awards
FSH 2.5 (1.4 - 18.1)
Total Test 373 (241 - 827)
Free Test 12.1 (9.3 - 26.5)
Estradiol 30 (0 -53)
LH 4.1 (1.5 - 9.3)
Prolactin 8.8 (2.1 - 17.7)
TSH 2.88 (0.35 - 5.5)

Those are my stats from 12.12.06 before starting compounded test cream. My Dr. only ordered total test lab work, but I went online and ordered the others after reading Dr. John's TRT paper. I wanted to know my baseline stats.

My interpretation of the results is that I likely have secondary hypogonadism. I would like to get an MRI done asap, but I am having major insurance problems with Anthem. Also thought about testing vitamin D, total estrogen, SHBG, and iron levels.
I have been on the compounded test for 2 weeks now and don't like the thought of shrinking testicles at my age. I asked my Dr. for HCG and he was clueless and told me there was no need.

Thanks for all the replies and it is comforting to know others are going thru similar struggles, this board has been a great source of info.
Any suggestions Dr. John?

virginpose

Awards
umm...how far are you from Lansing? lol
Point taken. Unfortunately, I'm in Kentucky. Any plans to visit the Bluegrass soon, lol. Keeneland will open in a few months.

Seriously though, I'd love to visit your practice but it doesn't seem realistic for me in the short term.

Thanks again.