Low testosterone?

evolution83

evolution83

Awards
hey guys,

new member here and wanted to see if i could get some insight to the blood work I had done a month ago.

I'm on my way to 31 years old and just a month ago had some blood work done as requested by my doctor. For years I have always believed to have low testosterone due to depression, anxiety, low / non-existent libido, irritable, always tired, no interest in anything, etc.

The results for testosterone caught both of our attention. Here's a rundown:

test.png

Total testosterone seems great, but while not extremely low, free test is a bit on the lower end. If you look just below that result, testosterone itself is 283ng/dl out of 853. SHBG is also a bit higher than it should be, although I'm not sure if that number is ideal..

I just want to confirm that my doctors decision to put me on HRT is the right move (I'm not objecting to it lol), and what everyone thinks of my results?

Given the numbers in the lab work, how will it affect my body's ability to build muscle? Will I have a harder time because of this?

For anyone currently on HRT, how has it been for you? What are the pros / cons you've experienced? Anything specifically I should stay away from?

Thanks!

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Do not get onto TRT based on this. Total test is actually high and your free is low, so that means it is bound. You first test is only the beginning and this isn't really telling you anything as you need a full hormone panel (including e2) and evaluate lifestyle ie. diet, stress, sleep, etc.

You can absolutely still build muscle with low test. Is it harder, yes. Can it be done, yes.

Mr.TT

Awards
  • Established
Your attachment shows two Total testosterone numbers, 849 (great), and 283(not so great). Which one is correct???
You need E2 levels and LH.

evolution83

evolution83

Awards
Do not get onto TRT based on this. Total test is actually high and your free is low, so that means it is bound. You first test is only the beginning and this isn't really telling you anything as you need a full hormone panel (including e2) and evaluate lifestyle ie. diet, stress, sleep, etc.

You can absolutely still build muscle with low test. Is it harder, yes. Can it be done, yes.
I had a lipid profile done, which has cholesterol and whatnot, but not a hormone panel. not sure if that will help. i had worked out for the last 6 months with a clean diet (3500cals, 40/40/20 split of macros), but found putting on muscle was quite difficult. my doctor does want me to lose 40lbs tho since I have around 20/25% body fat.

Your attachment shows two Total testosterone numbers, 849 (great), and 283(not so great). Which one is correct???
You need E2 levels and LH.
yeah, that's what we both didn't understand. 849 is great but we don't know what the 283 is. the lab wouldn't tell me over the phone, they can only tell the doctor which i think is stupid.

he wants me to get tested again for more numbers.