BLOODWORK RESULTS (thyroid help)

bigbeef

bigbeef

Awards
  • Established
ok long story short about three years ago I ran into some health problems put on 50lbs over night, while still eating healthy and working out. Doc determined my thyroid had issues with blood work and started me on 50mcg synthroid. He has never changed my dose even after testing every six months. I have been on for 2 years now. weight still wont come off even though I eat and train like a freak. I went by today and picked up my lab results and wondered if anyone has any experience with this or has an opinion.
total testosterone was 491
prolactin 11
thyroglobulin ab screen <1.8
thyroperoxidase ab 6.1
thyroxine (t4) 5.5
tsh 1.7
ferritin 28
IRON STUDIES
transferrin 325
iron 56
TIBC 484
% saturation 12
My doctor said he saw no concern with any of these numbers but some were flagged from the lab. I told him about weight loss being a real issue and being tired a lot but he did not react. Is he right or should I check another doctor out? Also I was on 200mg cyp a week when this test was taken

bigbeef

bigbeef

Awards
  • Established
from previous blood panels on 7/18/08 tsh 2.36
t4 8.1
t3 uptske 30
free thyroxine index 2.4

on 1/13/09
tsh 1.69
t4 9
t3 uptake 28
free thyroxine index 2.5

punxweb

Awards
Please post the reference intervals for the lab values. If you were on 200mg cyp a week and only had 491 as a total test, that seems pretty low given the dosage. Adrenals would be a good thing to check. Do a 4 part saliva cortisol test. To really get a good idea about your thyroid you need better testing. Free T3 & T4 and also total T3 & T4 and possibly RT3. I would get a second opinion if your doc is not listening to your concerns.

Philec48

Awards
  • Established
Punxweb is right. You really need Free and Total T3, that is the active thyroid hormone. Insist on those blood tests. Total T4 looks somewhat low. I'm surprised that 200mg T-cyp only has you at 491 total T. If T3 is low, ask to supplement with Cytomel, or ask for Cytomel mono-therapy if RT3 (reverse T3) is high.

Are you doing your T-cyp shot once a week? If so, you may be too high some days and low-mid-range right before your next shot. You should consider splitting the dose to two or three shots per week to have more even levels.

bigbeef

bigbeef

Awards
  • Established
maybe ghrp6 could restore all problem....
where are getting the assumption ghrp6 would take care of this? I have used it in the past, but have not read about those properties of it. I would like to read up on it if you can shoot me a link

bigbeef

bigbeef

Awards
  • Established
I have been taking temperature and it is running 97-97.5 I went back to Doc yesterday and shared my concerns and they took more blood. Waiting on results

spinn

Awards
  • Established
I have been taking temperature and it is running 97-97.5 I went back to Doc yesterday and shared my concerns and they took more blood. Waiting on results
take a look at the link I posted, you can tell by your temp variations if it is more likely thyroid or adrenal.

Reginald has been pushing that ghrp6 like its heroine, for some strange reason.

bigbeef

bigbeef

Awards
  • Established
take a look at the link I posted, you can tell by your temp variations if it is more likely thyroid or adrenal.

Reginald has been pushing that ghrp6 like its heroine, for some strange reason.
I checked it out. It was very good. Answered lots of questions and helped me to know what kind of things to ask and tell my doctor. I did not get the best vibe from him though while talking to him, but he is very hard to read sometimes. Should know something this afternoon or tomorrow. If he doesnt make any changes I will look for another doctor. Low temp, low energy, cant lose weight so I gotta fix something. I would not be so pushy with him to fix it, but I know for the last eight months I have been very strict in diet and cardio and seen virtually no results. I am getting stronger and more muscle, but you cant flex fat. I told him that if it cant be fixed I was going to get lipo, and he was opposed to that, but he should know just how serious I am about it

MetalMX

MetalMX

Awards
  • Established
Have a look at this site it will give you the best information regarding Thyroid/Adrenal Issues.

www.stopthethyroidmadness.com

Also T4 only isn't adequate treatment not to mention 50mcg is not a replacement dose. I am on 4 grains of ERFA thyroid which is 150mcg of T4 and 40mcg of T3 and i add 10mcg of T3 a day also. I am also on 10mg of HC for adrenal fatigue due to fluctuating and low temperatures.

You will only get better once you get on natural thyroid and find your optimal dose. I was in your situation 2 years ago bodybuilding for 2 years eating clean and training hard but just getting blatently fat and puffy something was definitely wrong. Turns out i had hashimoto's. Do you have hypothyroidism or hashimoto's thyroiditis? I would ask your doctor to check thyroid antibodies to rule out hashis.

Have checked:

Free T3
Free T4
Total T3
Total T4
Reverse T3

Regarding adrenals you can do blood tests such as:

Cortisol
ACTH
Renin
Aldosterone

But a Adrenal hormone profile saliva test which measures your DHEA levels and cortisol levels at 4 points throughout the day gives you a better idea of your adrenal status. Because what is not known is that low and high cortisol can cause thyroid hormone resistance because thyroid hormone isn't working at the cellular level.

bigbeef

bigbeef

Awards
  • Established
MetalMX thanks for the link. Labs came back today, I did not see them but doc called and is putting me on compounded thyroid armour. Going to pick up the labs friday so I can see what my numbers were. He just said TSH had gotten realy high

MetalMX

MetalMX

Awards
  • Established
MetalMX thanks for the link. Labs came back today, I did not see them but doc called and is putting me on compounded thyroid armour. Going to pick up the labs friday so I can see what my numbers were. He just said TSH had gotten realy high
Once your on thyroid keep checking your temperatures 3 times over the course of the day. If it is fluctuating by more that .2 .3 or large fluctuations you need adrenal support. Hydrocortisone...

Good luck :)

bigbeef

bigbeef

Awards
  • Established
Once your on thyroid keep checking your temperatures 3 times over the course of the day. If it is fluctuating by more that .2 .3 or large fluctuations you need adrenal support. Hydrocortisone...

Good luck :)
is there anything over the counter I should be taking that can also help adrenals? I am kinda in a small town with not a lot of options when it comes to Dr's but my doc will listen so I may be asking you for more advice.

bigbeef

bigbeef

Awards
  • Established
I'vent a link...but Torino and Ferrara hospital (endocrynology division) told me ,they dont want using ghrp6 in order to restore hgh in patients with hgh deficit,'cause ghrp6 will increase also all others hormones from pituitary gland...they use ghrp6 only in anorexia patients...they're wrong.....I think,they should use it also in gh deficiency
You should get off your ghrp6 kick. You troll post on every topic that it is the answer to everything, it is not, I have used it for quite some time. Might use it again if it was given to me but have no intentions of buying it. If you like it so much buy some, it is easy to get for research purposes and then let us know how it works for you

MetalMX

MetalMX

Awards
  • Established
Once you get Thyroid up your whole body will start to work. Adrenals will be your only challenge since you need good adrenals/adequate cortisol meaning not too high or too low to transport thyroid hormone from the blood to the cells.

If you happen to start thyroid meds and notice bad reactions and its not working then its adrenals. Then your SHBG goes up, your free T goes low, igf-1 lowers since the cortisol imbalance isn't allowing the thyroid to work properly. I had low cortisol levels during the day and high at night. So i was tired and exhausted during the day and wired at night and couldn't sleep and was waking up hungry during the night, adrenal problems aren't fun.

Once thyroid is up, testosterone signaling will increase. I was low testosterone before i started thyroid for my hashimoto's now my T levels are double what they we're! Growth hormone signaling will increase leading to higher IGF-1 levels.

I was on 4 grains of thyroid with hydrocortisone and still felt like ****, cold hands, low temps, muscle weakness, no motivation etc... now on 15mg of HC temps are finally more stable and higher but still low so will need more HC. As with anything you do in life things take time this is especially true for treating the adrenals and thyroid. It takes time to get over your adrenal exhaustion (If you have the condition) and it also takes time to get the level of thyroid hormones in the cellular level up to where they should be if you've been hypo for a long time.

Regarding thyroid medications I wouldn't touch T4 only meds. Go with a dessicated thyroid product which contains T4. T3, T2, T1 and calcitonin. and you can add a little bit of plain T3 to this to lower Reverse thats all you need. In the end your temperatures will tell the tale.

Regarding Reverse T3 if this is high some doctors will try to sell you the whole "T3 only" crap to lower reverse which is never the issue. RT3 is high due to something else wrong in the body for example cortisol imbalances, infections, heavy metals and other Diseases these all increase RT3. Why do you think people who have cancer lose their appetites? It is simply a survival mechanism.

bigbeef

bigbeef

Awards
  • Established
I am starting a compounded version of Armour

bigbeef

bigbeef

Awards
  • Established
on 45mg desicated thyroid. I am going to print out some of the literature I read and send it to my doc. He started me on 45 mg and told me to come back for bloodwork in 6 weeks. Most places say to bump up dosage after two weeks. I just have a six week supply and no refils so I can not try to adjust amounts myself or I will run out. He got kind of pissy when he found out I had been bumping up my dose on synthroid on my own and I guess he is making sure I am limited on my supply so I cannot not do it with this stuff. It might just be in my head but after two days I feel a little different. I can actually take a really deep breathe and feel like I am getting air and actually woke up early this morning after going to bed late and did not feel like death warmed over. I guess time will tell