Breaking Up Scar Tissue - Gaston \ ART \ Deep Tissue Massage

Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. Quote Originally Posted by John Smeton View Post
    Greenmachine I recommend a shoulder horn and rotator exercises before every workout where you use the rotators
    I'm not even working out anymore. Just doing physical therapy. What's a shoulder horn?

2. I had a couple serious injuries to both my shoulders and lower back a few years back and have been dealing with these issues since.

Treatments that worked for me: ART, deep tissue, graston but as others have said these get pricey over time (although you can save some money using Groupon, medical insurance etc).

I have also had success with at home therapy using foam rollers (especially the ones with ridges), lacrosse ball, Gua Sha tool, cupping, PVC pipe and some others. There are ways of recreating the effects of ART using lacrosse balls at trigger points while the muscle is contacted and then extend while holding the ball in place.
    •   

3. Also, try to Google "self myofascial release for shoulder" or any other body part.

4. Quote Originally Posted by GreenMachineX View Post
    I'm not even working out anymore. Just doing physical therapy. What's a shoulder horn?
    I believe it's similar in function to a graston or Gua sha tool. Helps break up scar tissue and increase blood flow.

5. Quote Originally Posted by GreenMachineX View Post
    http://www.shoulderhorn.com/
    Millennium Sport Technologies Representative
    Mind and Muscle Code AM10
    Classic Physique competitor, Facebook- Great Physique Fitness, Online coaching
    •   

6. Well damn.. I was way off. I was thinking of something completely different.

7. Quote Originally Posted by max silver View Post
    Congrats on the successful treatment. Definitely stick with it, the treatments should get less painful over time as there is less scar tissue to break up.
    Agreed, The key is to develop a rapport with your provider. It can get expensive so offer to recruit new patients and and even be in a video for them & offer to buy a 'plan' or # of visits from them. Most chiros I have met have patients who are babies and cannot take the BRIEF pain or even heavy pressure graston. My guy in the east Tampa 'burbs used me as a teaching model for chiro students. He said he never had anyone who could take his 100% on the IT band.
    Back to the subject- I agree that one needs to go until the problem is very much under control. Then keep going as maintenance. Nothing makes 'gains' like consistent effort and progress that is unimpeded.

8. Quote Originally Posted by GreenMachineX View Post
    It's weird though; as of today I've lost the ROM I gained the other day and it hurts quite a bit. I don't know if that's normal or
    or part of the healing process.
    So I've had 3 appointments now with the chiro, and I can now lift my arm to the side up to 90 degrees! Still have a long way to go for complete healing and full ROM (still gets 'caught' on something in there at some places) but apparently I really only had severe impingement and only a minor tear of at all or just tendinosis. 2 orthos and 3 physical therapists all missed this.
    The chiro is ordering an MRI to confirm it all though.

9. Quote Originally Posted by GreenMachineX View Post
    So I've had 3 appointments now with the chiro, and I can now lift my arm to the side up to 90 degrees! Still have a long way to go for complete healing and full ROM (still gets 'caught' on something in there at some places) but apparently I really only had severe impingement and only a minor tear of at all or just tendinosis. 2 orthos and 3 physical therapists all missed this.
    The chiro is ordering an MRI to confirm it all though.
    This stretch may be of use to you, I've used it successfully in the past when dealing with shoulder issues.

http://workoutlabs.com/exercise-guid...stick-stretch/

You'll find that over time your range of motion in the stretch will improve, it makes a great addition to soft tissue treatment.

10. Quote Originally Posted by max silver View Post
    This stretch may be of use to you, I've used it successfully in the past when dealing with shoulder issues.

http://workoutlabs.com/exercise-guid...stick-stretch/

You'll find that over time your range of motion in the stretch will improve, it makes a great addition to soft tissue treatment.
    At the moment, that's the range of motion I don't have. Can't lift my arm at that 45 degree angle from my body when palm faces down.

11. Quote Originally Posted by CCV3 View Post
    So has anyone tried any of these?
    I try to mash things out on my own, but I was wondering if anyone uses tools or has gone to a "certified" practitioner.
    Was it worth it?
    I am a Chiropractor, and I use Graston on nearly all my patient's. It is a process though, and many practioner's do it differently. In my clinical experience, sometimes Graston is too aggressive to use right away, and must be built up to it. I personally believe when using Graston, the site of pain should not be the main focus, but rather entire fascial lines need to be addressed. Usually when people present with an issue, the site of pain is not the culprit, so when the local problem is the focus people do not get well and have chronic injuries. When entire fascial lines are addressed, people get much better results.
    Another thing that needs to be remembered is consistency of care. If a person only goes once or twice, they probably wont get better. People should be seen multiple times a week for a few weeks, and then care can be decreased. Hope this helps

12. Quote Originally Posted by cck131 View Post
    I am a Chiropractor, and I use Graston on nearly all my patient's. It is a process though, and many practioner's do it differently. In my clinical experience, sometimes Graston is too aggressive to use right away, and must be built up to it. I personally believe when using Graston, the site of pain should not be the main focus, but rather entire fascial lines need to be addressed. Usually when people present with an issue, the site of pain is not the culprit, so when the local problem is the focus people do not get well and have chronic injuries. When entire fascial lines are addressed, people get much better results.
    Another thing that needs to be remembered is consistency of care. If a person only goes once or twice, they probably wont get better. People should be seen multiple times a week for a few weeks, and then care can be decreased. Hope this helps
    What is your preference as far as intensity of treatment? I've seen practitioners that fall on both ends of the spectrum, one which uses such little force that I don't feel it's doing much, and one that goes so hard that I have bruising for close to a week.

13. I love Graston so much that I bought some tools for self / home use. Great stuff.

Nothing beats some handlebar action on the lats!!

I love the mobility star as well. Such a great tool for self treatment.

14. Quote Originally Posted by max silver View Post
    What is your preference as far as intensity of treatment? I've seen practitioners that fall on both ends of the spectrum, one which uses such little force that I don't feel it's doing much, and one that goes so hard that I have bruising for close to a week.
    That's a tough one, but I always go to patient tolerance. If the injury is acute, I usually start out a little lighter and go up to the point where the patient starts to try to "run away." Once the injury is out of the acute phase, that's when I get pretty aggressive. Some bruising is okay, but the patient should not be turning purple and black. In my experience, that causes more harm than good. Also, after about the 4-5 treatments, the pain diminishes quite a bit, and using the same aggressive pressure hurts a lot less, or doesn't hurt at all
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Deep Tissue Massage Therapy and Plateaus
    By Aaron.Cole in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-01-2016, 01:25 PM
  2. Deep tissue massage
    By halljo in forum Natural Bodybuilding
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 03-27-2016, 03:47 PM
  3. Break up letter...
    By refrieddreams in forum General Chat
    Replies: 182
    Last Post: 05-05-2006, 05:16 PM
  4. on the flip side...best break up songs
    By gqsuperman in forum General Chat
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 08-20-2005, 10:42 PM
  5. Breaking up a large meal... beneficial?
    By hypo in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-28-2005, 12:48 AM