Gym or Social Club

tatortodd

Awards
  • Established
Today, I was driving past a gym that one of my friends belong to and noticed a huge sign on it, "Monday Night Football, all you can eat buffet $5, and beer $1." I'm sure the buffet revolves around things that taste good with beer or things that go well with Monday Night Football.

IMO, pretty sad commentary on how gyms are turning into social clubs.

~Todd

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
well that is not our gym.. you come in train. then you might sit around at the front counter with some of the staff.. me and a few others and shoot the ****...but it mainly about contests, supplements, etc

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Sad but true Tater. That's why I switched gyms. Many people go to the gym for fun. They also find it rude if you don't stop your workout to talk with them. The only way I'm stopping my work out is if Carmen Electra asks me about my weekend

tatortodd

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, my gym is by no means hard core, but at least we don't serve beer and nachos. Iron Warrior's gym sounds a lot like mine, and I'm sure I'm considered rude about stopping talking when my 60 seconds between sets is up. From the sounds of it, I wish my gym was more like MD's gym.

~Todd

msclbldrguy

Awards
  • Established
fortunately my gym doesnt have any room for a social club area. its not hardcore by any means, but at least most who workout there are serious and stay pretty consistent, even if they dont do squats and deads much...i cant imagine a gym having a mnf event like that....sounds like they are way too interested in $$ and not promoting good health.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
From the sounds of it, I wish my gym was more like MD's gym.

~Todd
There are many, just look around kinda like when you shop for a car. Unfortunately, there were only 2 gyms which I decided would be convenient for me, but they're 22 and 16 miles away from where I live. And traffic is a bitch in San Jose, so that can translate to a 35-40 min. commute if you're unlucky

tatortodd

Awards
  • Established
I hear you about traffic. I live in the Greater Los Angeles area, and one of the biggest factors in my gym choice was accessibility. I workout at a chain (LA Fitness) and there is one by the office, one by my home, and one by where I have to go frequently on business (nice to kill 2 birds w/ one stone - workout and avoid rush hour traffic).

~Todd

tatortodd

Awards
  • Established
Wouldn't know. I can PM you their physical address if you're interested. :D

~Todd

db682

Awards
  • Established
So how was the buffet and beer?
Thats what I wanta know. Beer I can do without, especially with this methyl in my blood but buffets Im cool with. My gym knows better then to offer all you can eat meals to people like me and my gymrat crew. Ive got a college football team (that I normally train with)and 2 high school football teams who are always doing stuff there (My spotter/friend is the Place kicker for Buthane Cookman College, head coach for the soccer and football team at one high school and substitute P.E. teacher at another.) Then theres all these adult basketball, volleyball and football leagues. Boxing and karate classes. You get the drift. Alot of people that would eat alot of food. They do throw a huge party on the beach once a year at the beginning of summer for all members and give out awards for different **** though. I like my gym and since Im affilated with Daytona international Speedway I only pay $100 a year. :D And they just remodeled at the beginning of the year and got all new freeweights, benches, smith machines, squat racks and all new Nautilus Nitro machines (which are actually pretty nice for machines,almost comparable to hammer strength,almost)

db

Sorry guys, I love bragging.;)

labrad

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, the Nautilus Nitro machines are very good. 2nd only to Hammer Strength.