Shift Workers

GymRat5972

GymRat5972

Awards
Whats Up People?
I am wandering if anyone else here works shft work. My schedule is crazy. I work 12 hr shifts. 4 days off 7, 4 nights off 3, 3 days off 1, 3 nights off 3. The i start back over. My shifts are from 4 pm to 4 pm or 4 am to 4am. I have to say it is hard as hell to keep my mind and body right for eatign and sleeeping. Granted I only work 14 days a month but the rotating is killing me.

MuscleGuyinNY

MuscleGuyinNY

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I've worked at Salerno Plastics Corp. and Georgia-Pacific Corp. Salerno's shifts are from 8a-8p and 8p-8a. GP's shifts are from 6a-6p and 6p-6a. The money is great and the benefits are outstanding, but it sure does get stressful and tiring. It's nice only having to work a few days a week, then having several days off, but I don't like working for 12 hours, sleeping for about 6, running errands, etc., and before you know it, it's already time to go back to work. It's also hard for me to go to sleep at sunrise, after working all night. Even if I hang quilts over my windows, or pull the blankets over my head. I just don't feel right. The only time that I can ever go to bed at sunrise, is when I've been out partying all night.

GymRat5972

GymRat5972

Awards
Well thats my problem too. I have been doing this for about 18 years and I think I am ready for a change. I have 2 more years and my son graduates. Im trying to make it until he is out of school and in college. You are right it is very stressfull and the rest is not much when you are working. I work 4 to 4 and by time i get home get to the gym its 6 out of the gym at 7 home eat clean up and back to bed up at 2:45 to go do it it all over again. When im on nights i get to sleep around 6am and wake around 12, to the gym again. Im just trying to see what is out there as far as money wise. My wife has awsome benefits and we will be using hers when i do make a change.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
My job is from 8am-4:30pm, but I travel frequently.

My friend is a registered nurse and he works 3 times a week, for 12 hrs each day. This only totals up to 36 hrs of work each week which is less than what most ppl work (40 hrs/week)

Despite having 4 days off and working less hours, he just started 4 weeks ago and he hates it because the days he has off he is tired and just recovers all day, and the days he works he is always piss tired.

GymRat5972

GymRat5972

Awards
You definately have to be motivated to do it. I hate it and im ready for a change. it is hard on the body

MuscleGuyinNY

MuscleGuyinNY

Banned
Awards
  • Established
It's hard to beat the pay and benefits, but it's just way too stressful on the body. I prefer normal 8-hour shifts, whether it's 6a-2p, 2p-10p, or 10p-6a. I got my score from the Department of Civil Service yesterday and I kicked so much ass on the Corrections exam. I'm on the list, so I can go into the DOC in August, when I turn 21. But I'm trying to get in federal with the US Postal Service. I did some work for the Postal Service last year. The pay was $11/HR, but is now about $19/HR to start. The benefits are absolutely amazing, especially the federal health insurance. I understand that money is money and a job is a job, but I get picky, which I shouldn't at times, but pay, especially benefits, mean an awful lot to me.

sogone2day

sogone2day

Awards
  • Established
I work 12 days on and maybe get 2 days off and have been doing this for the last 10months it is draining. But it paid student loans off and most of my car. We put in PE gas lines for ATCO gas here in canada. Working out after the day is very hard and days off u just want to sleep.

MuscleGuyinNY

MuscleGuyinNY

Banned
Awards
  • Established
When I was working for the US Postal Service, not to mention during the holiday season, I probably had one actual full day off within about 2-3 months. Everytime I had the day off, they'd end up calling me into work, which eventually led to them holding onto me for some overtime. The money was very sweet, but it's nice to have a day off once in a while, even if it's just a day or two.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
My friend is a registered nurse and he works 3 times a week, for 12 hrs each day. This only totals up to 36 hrs of work each week which is less than what most ppl work (40 hrs/week)

Despite having 4 days off and working less hours, he just started 4 weeks ago and he hates it because the days he has off he is tired and just recovers all day, and the days he works he is always piss tired.
I have the same shift split as your friend. I currently work 10am-10pm, 3x a week for a total of 36 hours. I couldn't even begin to fathom working 5 days a week anymore. Working in the e.r. we self schedule, so basically we work when we want to.....does it get any better than that! :) Planning for trips or time off is a breeze and a complete virtue of the system. This split/system is personally why i love nursing. I LOVE my 4 days off a week!

sogone2day

sogone2day

Awards
  • Established
i'm only at where i work for the living daily allowance $145 a day and i drive home to sleep so it's all banked and tax free or it wouldn't be worth it. I want one of those 30days of 30 days off jobs.

MuscleGuyinNY

MuscleGuyinNY

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i'm only at where i work for the living daily allowance $145 a day and i drive home to sleep so it's all banked and tax free or it wouldn't be worth it. I want one of those 30days of 30 days off jobs.
Canada's an amazing place, isn't it? :)

sogone2day

sogone2day

Awards
  • Established
Well most place offer living allowance if your away from home or put u up in camp. I wish it was just warm here year round. We had a cold snap here in alberta last week it dipped down to -47 way to cold.

MgoBlue

MgoBlue

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I've worked at Salerno Plastics Corp. and Georgia-Pacific Corp. Salerno's shifts are from 8a-8p and 8p-8a. GP's shifts are from 6a-6p and 6p-6a. The money is great and the benefits are outstanding, but it sure does get stressful and tiring. It's nice only having to work a few days a week, then having several days off, but I don't like working for 12 hours, sleeping for about 6, running errands, etc., and before you know it, it's already time to go back to work. It's also hard for me to go to sleep at sunrise, after working all night. Even if I hang quilts over my windows, or pull the blankets over my head. I just don't feel right. The only time that I can ever go to bed at sunrise, is when I've been out partying all night.

I start @ GP next week as an operator!! I've been in the self-employed delivery business for the past 18 months, & that sucked! Always on call, & never had a solid schedule. I'd get to the gym @ 5am & get a call for a delivery 30 minutes later!
I hope I can deal w/ the schedule. I have no idea how I'm going to get myself to sleep when I work nights. I already run on an average of 5 hours of sleep a night!

MuscleGuyinNY

MuscleGuyinNY

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I start @ GP next week as an operator!! I've been in the self-employed delivery business for the past 18 months, & that sucked! Always on call, & never had a solid schedule. I'd get to the gym @ 5am & get a call for a delivery 30 minutes later!
I hope I can deal w/ the schedule. I have no idea how I'm going to get myself to sleep when I work nights. I already run on an average of 5 hours of sleep a night!
Where do you live? I know that GP has facilities all over the world and that their corporate headquartes is in Georgia (hence the name, I know), but I'm just wondering as to what GP you'll be working at.

The shift work definitely takes some getting used to. I was a machine operator as well. GP seems to only hire for operators, but they rarely hire. It definitely is a great opportunity. The starting pay and the benefits are great. The work isn't hard either. You get licensed to drive a forklift/towmotor. The machines do all of the work. You pretty much just have to babysit the machines and make sure they're running smoothly. You do quality checks every once in a while, of course. It's nice only working 3 or 4 days per week, and then have 2-3 days off. It definitely does stress your body out, though. I prefer 8-hour shifts of 12-hour shifts.

MgoBlue

MgoBlue

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I'll be working @ the Port Hudson (north of Baton Rouge) plant. I heard they hired 30 of us. I guess a bunch of their workers split after Katrina & headed down to New Orleans to try to make that fast cash.
I was told I'll be starting @ $14.change per hour, but when I fill in for someone who makes more than that, I'll make what he makes.

I can't complain. Being self employed, I had zero benefits or retirement.

MuscleGuyinNY

MuscleGuyinNY

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I'll be working @ the Port Hudson (north of Baton Rouge) plant. I heard they hired 30 of us. I guess a bunch of their workers split after Katrina & headed down to New Orleans to try to make that fast cash.
I was told I'll be starting @ $14.change per hour, but when I fill in for someone who makes more than that, I'll make what he makes.

I can't complain. Being self employed, I had zero benefits or retirement.
From what I hear, it's more expensive to live down in the south than in the north, so that's why jobs supposively pay more down south. The pay and benefits are great. I do regret leaving there, but I had my reasons for doing so. I quit, but I'm sure that they would take me back. They've taken back several people who've repeatedly failed drug tests, so I shouldn't have a problem getting back in there. After 960 hours, or 5-6 months, the pay went to almost $14. $13 something. We instantly had health insurance when we were hired, which was very nice. Empire, which is the best.

I'm currently trying to get my job back with the US Postal Service. But instead of temporary employment this time, I'm seeking permanent employment with them. I'd be set for life. I've spoken with the postmaster and manager, and just spoke with the supervisor last night. They all want me back, but the headquarters down in Albany needs to authorize things. They're very busy down there, but they also slack a bit. They're getting paid so much per hour, so they just take their time.

GymRat5972

GymRat5972

Awards
MGBlue. What is GP and where is it?? Im an operator in a chemical plant here in Deer Park Texas and we have a plant there in louisiana as well. We start our operators off at$23.00 or $24.00 hr i think. I think it is the shell Norco plant. the pay is awsome and the benefits are great as well. but after 15 years im getting burned out on shift work....

MgoBlue

MgoBlue

Banned
Awards
  • Established
MGBlue. What is GP and where is it?? Im an operator in a chemical plant here in Deer Park Texas and we have a plant there in louisiana as well. We start our operators off at$23.00 or $24.00 hr i think. I think it is the shell Norco plant. the pay is awsome and the benefits are great as well. but after 15 years im getting burned out on shift work....
HA, I was a hot shot delivery driver & made many trips to Shell (Motiva) Norco.. I actually used to be a firefighter @ the Motiva Convent, LA plant. Believe me, I'd love to get on w/ one of those plants, but then again, so would everyone else out here. Norco's just a little to far, but the Convent plant I tested for but was not called back for an interview..:whiner:

GymRat5972

GymRat5972

Awards
Damn bro that sucks. Hit me with a private messege and i will give you the link to our company. we are always looking. Seems like there is always opening for the plant i work for. If you like ill keep a heads up. Let me know.

Late

bigt405

bigt405

Awards
I have been working twelve hours shifts at a chemical plant for almost seventeen years too. It did not bother me at all when I was younger, but the older I get the more my body needs sleep, and as far as time off we average around six hundred hours of overtime. So we do not get much time off either, but like everyone has said the pay and benefits are hard to beat. I have put my wife through college and I am in the process of putting my daughter through college right now.

One thing is for sure though nothing that is healthy tastes good at three in the morning!:D