New Car for my Wife

Chad

Chad

Banned
Awards
  • Established
My wife is going to be getting a new car and i wanted ask you guys what you think.

these are the cars she is looking at and why.

-Cadillac CTS
she likes the way it looks, the HP and that is comes in a 6 speed manual. ( i like it too. plus its a GM. )

-Lexus IS 250 RWD Manual
she thinks its " pretty ". she also likes the HP.
( i like it too but it costs a lot to get them fully loaded)

-Mercedes C300 Sport
she likes the name. she like the way it looks and that it has a 6 speed manual.
( i dont really like it )

ok so what do ya`ll think? bottom line is that she wants a 4 door, manual and it looks pretty.

billm311

billm311

Awards
  • Established
Out of those listed, I like the caddy the best. I was looking into a CTS, and the infiniti g35 (great car) before going with my 5.

great looking car, plenty of power, compnay that is really doing a lot to make a resurgence in the market with their sleek "fighter jet" design styles. Also being an american car makes it easy to repair.

Lexus is very nice as well, known as a quiet car, I assume its the IS? very sporty looking, I think best of the lexus line. Not sure what amenities it includes. Also very good customer service, easily repaired as a japanese make.

I am not a fan of mercedes at all, I think they are overpriced, I've had poor experiences with customer service at local dealer. Though they often look nice and will attract attention, the price tag makes me turn away. Repairs are costly.

Although, I am a big fan of german engineering. BMW is a great car. I have a 530, and would never trade it for anything (except maybe a newer 5). Audi is also a fun car.

nice to see your wife likes the sporty manual sedans. I hope I am lucky enough to have a wife who feels the same. Definately go with rearwheel drive if not goin for an allwheel drive system. They have better sports handling and agility, and lack torque steer, providing a different feel than a front drive car can. Though rears are a little tougher to handle in poor weather (sliding turns in snow).

The biggest thing is to do what feels right.Get a deal and definately test drive, you might end up finding that a certain shifter/clutch combo just doesn't feel as smooth or sporty as you would like. That is something that could play a big role. Compromise is usually part of the deal, but if you are unhappy with a particular aspect of your ride, chances are it will bother you for quite a while.

macedaddy

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
i LOVE the CTS, it is going to be MY next car!

billm311

billm311

Awards
  • Established
oh baby that twin turbo 5 makes me drool.....:food:

that might be my next, good thing i got some time with this one.

But seriously, check out the infiniti. Might be a great addition to the list. otherwise CTS

Chad

Chad

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Out of those listed, I like the caddy the best. I was looking into a CTS, and the infiniti g35 (great car) before going with my 5.

great looking car, plenty of power, compnay that is really doing a lot to make a resurgence in the market with their sleek "fighter jet" design styles. Also being an american car makes it easy to repair.

Lexus is very nice as well, known as a quiet car, I assume its the IS? very sporty looking, I think best of the lexus line. Not sure what amenities it includes. Also very good customer service, easily repaired as a japanese make.

I am not a fan of mercedes at all, I think they are overpriced, I've had poor experiences with customer service at local dealer. Though they often look nice and will attract attention, the price tag makes me turn away. Repairs are costly.

Although, I am a big fan of german engineering. BMW is a great car. I have a 530, and would never trade it for anything (except maybe a newer 5). Audi is also a fun car.

nice to see your wife likes the sporty manual sedans. I hope I am lucky enough to have a wife who feels the same. Definately go with rearwheel drive if not goin for an allwheel drive system. They have better sports handling and agility, and lack torque steer, providing a different feel than a front drive car can. Though rears are a little tougher to handle in poor weather (sliding turns in snow).

The biggest thing is to do what feels right.Get a deal and definately test drive, you might end up finding that a certain shifter/clutch combo just doesn't feel as smooth or sporty as you would like. That is something that could play a big role. Compromise is usually part of the deal, but if you are unhappy with a particular aspect of your ride, chances are it will bother you for quite a while.
yeah the Lexus was an IS.
I really do like the CTS also. i would LOVE to get the CTS-V but thats not going to happen:sad:
i have a 2001 Camaro SS M6. so i`m all about fast RWD cars. my next car is going to be the new Camaro when ever it comes out with a SS package.
i wanted her to look at Audi but there isn`t a dealer within 100 miles. i also told her she might want to look at the BMW 335 but she thinks its "too sporty" :frustrate

anyways thanks for giving me that info.

Zero Tolerance

Awards
  • Established
Go for the CTS.. It's roomy, handles amazingly (very fun to drive) and has plenty of power. The V6 is good on gas as well..

If you decide to go with a GM - and this goes for anybody here - contact me and I can get you $100.00 over book value..

I can also get you a CTS-V for probably a lot less than you ever imagined... I'm heavily involved in the automotive industry...

Mrs. Gimpy!

Mrs. Gimpy!

Awards
  • Established
what a nice hubby you are.......

get the cadillac ....i've been eyeing it as a graduation gift to myself.....
the audi tt is way nicer i think, but its alittle more costly (at least it was the last time i checked)

Chad

Chad

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Go for the CTS.. It's roomy, handles amazingly (very fun to drive) and has plenty of power. The V6 is good on gas as well..

If you decide to go with a GM - and this goes for anybody here - contact me and I can get you $100.00 over book value..

I can also get you a CTS-V for probably a lot less than you ever imagined... I'm heavily involved in the automotive industry...
wow. thanks for the offer. ill def contact you if we go with the CTS.

Chad

Chad

Banned
Awards
  • Established
what a nice hubby you are.......

get the cadillac ....i've been eyeing it as a graduation gift to myself.....
the audi tt is way nicer i think, but its alittle more costly (at least it was the last time i checked)
i am a nice hubby. but my wife just got a big raise at work and is getting another one in 3 months so this new car is a gift to herself.

warnerve

Awards
  • Established
from what i've read, lexus will probably be the most reliable. Then again, these cars are about 35-40k out of my price range

FamilyMan69

Awards
i think cadillac would be a good choice:hammer:

billm311

billm311

Awards
  • Established
If thats the deal than take a more serious look at the CTS, a very critical look. If Tolerance can hook you up, it might be the best option. I couldn't get a good deal on one, so I had to pass.

Let me know how the clutch feels on that thing. I never got around to shifting that car.

That funny that she thinks bimmers are too sporty. I would probable agree if you were looking at 3 series, they are fairly small cars with a very driver oriented interior. I like the 5 much better, but cost becomes a concern.

Sorry, I love BMW, (and Nissan, 300zx first car) so I am a little partial.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
I can't say much, I've got a fairly new Accord - but damn, them's some expensive cars?

(That'll just end up getting dinged/wrecked.)

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
I cant say between the lexus(read: toyota) or the cadi, but definetly not the merc, my dad had a 98 c200 and it was a pain to drive especially for a 2 litre, big steering wheel, VERY slow throttle response, mercs are great if you want the most reliable cars and plan to keep it for 10-20 years. Personally I would go with the lexus.

gdbear65

gdbear65

Awards
  • Established
I love the CTS-V. My second choice would be an Infiniti G35 coupe - but it also comes in sedan :woohoo:

G35 Sedan

Chad

Chad

Banned
Awards
  • Established
If thats the deal than take a more serious look at the CTS, a very critical look. If Tolerance can hook you up, it might be the best option. I couldn't get a good deal on one, so I had to pass.

Let me know how the clutch feels on that thing. I never got around to shifting that car.

That funny that she thinks bimmers are too sporty. I would probable agree if you were looking at 3 series, they are fairly small cars with a very driver oriented interior. I like the 5 much better, but cost becomes a concern.

Sorry, I love BMW, (and Nissan, 300zx first car) so I am a little partial.

we`ll prob head up to the Caddy dealer next weekend. the guy said they didnt have any manuals in stock but to check back. ill let you know how it shifts.

Chad

Chad

Banned
Awards
  • Established
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ykd0OXbg-pw"]YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.[/nomedia]

will smith seems to like the Caddy

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Car payment $500-700/m
Insurance $125-200/m
Gas $300-400/m

Monthy Cost $925-1300/m for TRANSPORTATION!?!?!

That's a mortgage payment. I must be doing something wrong. :think:

Chad

Chad

Banned
Awards
  • Established
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md8lEXT9AbM"]YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.[/nomedia]

the Caddy really seems to be the best car if you`re getting shot at.

sdmf45

sdmf45

Awards
  • Established
no if your getting shot at u have to drive that camaro from the marine. 250lb guy gettin sprayed with bullets and they all missed. classic lol

Chad

Chad

Banned
Awards
  • Established
no if your getting shot at u have to drive that camaro from the marine. 250lb guy gettin sprayed with bullets and they all missed. classic lol
thats the same car i have. but mine is all white. plus i used to be in the Marines so it was pretty cool to see that. too bad the movie SUCKED!!!

Chad

Chad

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Car payment $500-700/m
Insurance $125-200/m
Gas $300-400/m

well we`ll be putting at least $5,000 down and she only fills up on gas once a week and we can get full cov for the CTS for $120 a month. so all in all it should be a bit less than your est.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Not too sure.

$30k*/60m/$500m thats without interest.
25gallons/$3g/$75w/$300m for gas
$125 insurance

* let me know how many are on the lot that cheap :lol:

You're still taking about over $900/m minimum for transportation.

Hey, 24yo with a family and you can swing that payment for transportation...more power to you :thumbsup:

Chad

Chad

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Not too sure.

$30k*/60m/$500m thats without interest.
25gallons/$3g/$75w/$300m for gas
$125 insurance

* let me know how many are on the lot that cheap :lol:

You're still taking about over $900/m minimum for transportation.

Hey, 24yo with a family and you can swing that payment for transportation...more power to you :thumbsup:
yeah its a bit much but she really wants it and she is the one who got the big raise. cost of living is REALLY low in west TX so that helps a lot too.
my car is $319 a month and $68 for insurance. ( i haven`t been pulled over in over 3 years) knock on wood.
so with all of that we can swing it.

base for a CTS is about 31K - the 5K down + taxes should come out to 30K ish.

tattoopierced1

idk your financial situation, but i'd try and find something a bit more economical... even if you have the money now, you never know in the future, and everyone could always use money for something in the future (house upgrade, etc...)

I just got my wife a new 2007 Jeep Compass 4x4. Gets 26mpg city and 29mpg hwy. Myself, I drive a 2004 Honda Civic which gets similar gas mileage. I flip out when I put $30 into my Honda, I cannot imagine putting any more money into transportation now. Heck, if things continue, I'm looking at something even more economical in the near future and trading in the civic.

Both cars listed above were under $20k each.

Zero Tolerance

Awards
  • Established
Hey. Don't feel so bad. Between my wife and I, my car payments are almost $1800.00 a month, plus insurance, plus gas.. Although we don't do much driving - so that saves us big time.. Gas is like $4.00 a gallon here in South Florida...

But you're right. It's really a whole lot of stinking B.S. We're paying home mortgages to drive automobiles and selling our souls to live in homes...

Car payment $500-700/m
Insurance $125-200/m
Gas $300-400/m

Zero Tolerance

Awards
  • Established
Just an FYI, Chad.. I'm not sure if you CARE - but you should know.. Everything changes in 2008...

http://www.cadillac.com/allnewcts/

yeah its a bit much but she really wants it and she is the one who got the big raise. cost of living is REALLY low in west TX so that helps a lot too.
my car is $319 a month and $68 for insurance. ( i haven`t been pulled over in over 3 years) knock on wood.
so with all of that we can swing it.

base for a CTS is about 31K - the 5K down + taxes should come out to 30K ish.

Zero Tolerance

Awards
  • Established
Anyone considering a new car in the next few years should pay close attention to Hyundai. That may sound funny to you but if you go and test drive the Azera and research the Genesis and Equus - you won't come back laughing... When you think of the Equus, think of every feature available in the Mercedes S550 and Lexus LS460 (including automatic parking), 400+ horsepower and RWD for $45k, fully-loaded, 10 year warranty...

Last edited:

Zero Tolerance

Awards
  • Established
wow it seems to be a much better car next year. i think she would hold off it the Fall for a 300hp V6. i just hope the price wont shoot up too high.
thanks for the link bro.
Any time.. It IS a big difference.. The interior is going to be VERY luxurious compared to the current model - and then again, the added horsepower will be nice as well.. Plus, there will be an exclusivity to having the "new" model.

Still, if you decide on settling for the 2007 - you'll get a GREAT price being that they'll be trying to move them off the lots - and you're still getting a really cool, hot-looking and fun car to drive. I've had a few as loaners and even the base model comes with a great stereo system and pretty-much everything you need...

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
Chad, I don't feel like reading this thread...

Just make the woman get a 3-series...

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
I'm getting the newest 330xi as soon as I pay off my 325xi... :thumbsup:

Mega NRG Man

Mega NRG Man

Awards
1. Chad has a wife?! shock

2. Buy her a Nissan 350z.

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
If she didnt want the beema then she wont want the 350z thats another sporty car, although it is a pretty sexy car.

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
NRG...please do not post another pic of a automatic tranny...

:thumbsup:

Mega NRG Man

Mega NRG Man

Awards
very nice but i have to remember Pearl Harbor and go with the GM.
In that case, stick with the Caddy. Mercedes is from Germany, Lexus is a Japanese marque as well. :type: Even though the CTS is richly decked out, I personally lean towards the STS.