Alcohol

Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last
  1. Alcohol

Has anyone here had huge alcohol problems in the past but are now better? I have a problem with alcohol and I need to stop.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Delboss731 View Post
    Has anyone here had huge alcohol problems in the past but are now better? I have a problem with alcohol and I need to stop.
    Not alcohol problems, but meth problems.. was addicted for about 5 years.. been clean about 20months now. I'm no expert on addiction or drinking, but cognitive behavioral therapy style recovery programs helped me the most. That and finally going to treatment in a place that allowed me to become more integrated back into the community as well as supportive housing after treatment.. got a job and made myself find something social I used to like to do like playing magic the gathering or dnd with nerd friends one day a week.. also hitting the gym with consistency.. once you rebuild a new structure in your daily life it gets easier and easier.. also being around people who don't do what you are trying to stop doing kinda rubs off on you.. I know with drinking there are some medications you could consider taking like antabuse or campral.. they say antabuse is dangerous because it makes you fairly sick when you drink while on it, but in most cases it's not life threatening and honestly it's the closest thing to how the principles of behavior modification outline to reduce the frequency of a given behavior because the consequence immediately follows the behavior you want to change.. the other option is to continue until you lose everything and wake up in a jail.. typically that's the same idea, but is much worse than just getting ill as a consequence.. both are in ways an aversion type conditioning..
    •   

3. Just stop. Easier said then done. You can do it

4. What kind of problem? Drinking too often, during the day, at work, etc? Or more like binge drinking?

5. Quote Originally Posted by artb View Post
    Just stop. Easier said then done. You can do it
    That's pretty much the dumbest over simplification of a seriously difficult challenge for someone ever.. please gtfo if you don't want to help.. dude reached out.. respect him for that..
    •   

6. Quote Originally Posted by artb View Post
    Just stop. Easier said then done. You can do it
    Much advice. Very wow. What is your next gem? If you want to bench press 500 pounds just lift more?
    Performax Labs Online Rep.
    Facebook.com/pmaxlabs
    www.PerformaxLabs.com
  7. Alcohol

Quote Originally Posted by muscleupcrohn View Post
    Much advice. Very wow. What is your next gem? If you want to bench press 500 pounds just lift more?
    Really though, just have to quit you’ll go through heavy ass withdrawals but it’s about the only way to kick an addiction. Just take it out all at once because when you get to the “just one more” stage there will always be just one more. I’ve been through it and it sucks but it was the only way I could quit.

8. I had a problem with alcohol as well as pain pills, Xanax, and coke.

I didn’t see it as a problem ever. I got to a point in my life where I wanted a change. I was finally woken. I realized how I was destroying everything. I fought and fought my self to give everything up. I had times I stopped then I would get a craving and do it again. Or have an excuse why I needed to numb myself. Enough was enough. My way was just telling myself it’s all in my head and I don’t need anything.

I dealt with bad withdrawals to the point where I felt like giving up. I couldn’t give up though. I needed to do this for my family(wife and kids)

It’s now been over 5 years being clean. Wish I would have done it sooner.

It is hard but you can do it. Believe in yourself and find all the best things in your life to give you more reasons to do it. Last thing you want to do is wait till it’s too late.

9. Quote Originally Posted by New2this40 View Post
    Really though, just have to quit you’ll go through heavy ass withdrawals but it’s about the only way to kick an addiction. Just take it out all at once because when you get to the “just one more” stage there will always be just one more. I’ve been through it and it sucks but it was the only way I could quit.
    Yes, you do have to “just do it,” but there’s a reason why things like AA work so well for a lot of people; having some form of community of people who have going through the same thing can help, as can having some, any, plan to evaluate your life and try to address the root causes and triggers and how to eliminate, reduce, and/or avoid them in the future. Yes, you have to “just do it,” but sometimes it’s wise to just do it with some help and a gameplan. Not everyone can just decide “I’m going to quit, all on my own, no help.” If you did, good for you, but not everyone can.

Also, as I’ve explained, it’s just such silly advice. Why not give suggestions as to how to do it? Saying just do it is the same thing as you telling me you want to become a Pro bodybuilder and me telling you just do it, and then strutting around like I actually have you legitimate advice instead of just useless drivel.
    Facebook.com/pmaxlabs
    www.PerformaxLabs.com

10. Thank you guys all so much for all the responses. l am glad I can have people to support me. Bought some kudzu root and took it for the first time today. Will continue to take everyday for possibly forever as long as it can aid in my quitting alcohol. I know it will take time and a lot of mental strength but I will do it. I have no choice. Otherwise it will be to late. Thank you all again.

11. Quote Originally Posted by Delboss731 View Post
    Longtime alcoholic- 3 yrs clean now. Please go see a doctor and tell them the truth. Depending on the severity of your alcoholism quitting can be very dangerous medically to do on your own. No shame involved. If you are sick- go to the doctor. Be well. You are not alone and you can stop with help

12. Thank you very much.

13. Kudzu is what antabuse comes from if I'm not mistaken

14. Quote Originally Posted by Delboss731 View Post
    Asking for help is the best first step for any addiction. I was a smoker a few years back and I've lost count really but it was terrible. I asked for help, and got quite a bit of it in the way of suggestions. I'm not sure how it translates to drinking really, if at all.

I do know it was a ritualistic and triggered effect, so coping mechanisms were involved along with the physical and timing of the ritual.

I believe breaking an addiction that is psychological and physiological require a few angles of attack. I didn't want drugs like Chantix because they scared me. (Sides) I told myself the stink and all the negatives that go with smoking were robbing me of some great and meaningful moments.

- Emotional Support
    - Talk Therapy
    - Some kind of replacement therapy
    - Maybe even chemical substitution (I used vaping, which was my gateway to just quitting)

I'm not being glib or pretending to be scientific, as this is off the top of my head.
    I do know AA is important for anyone struggling with alcohol.

I hope my words help a little.
    I don't think of smoking, and when stressed that usually triggered the desire, now I just enlist a coping mechanism. It's automatic.

-M
    BLACK LION RESEARCH
    Follidrone 2.0 | Vector | Letrone | Rebirth | Exotherm | Nootrol | Viron | Prolactrone +
    15% code: MARK15 Want to know more?

15. Bah chantix sides aren't even half what people want you to think they are.. I get vivid weird dreams from it and that's it.. with the root he picked up, or antabuse it works more like aversion therapy..

16. You guys are the best! Yes I will take 1.5 grams of kudzu root per day!

17. Nice dude. I used to hang out with my cousins every weekend. From 18-23 I would get hammered every weekend. Sometimes multiple times a week. I am now 24 soon 25 this October. Unfortunately some of those bad habits of years of alcohol abuse stuck with me. Really trying to get rid of it once and for all.

18. Quote Originally Posted by Delboss731 View Post
    4 years sober. Alcohol and fitness don't mix. I say fuk alcohol. Get some kratom or something if you wanna have some fun/relax/be sociable

19. Quote Originally Posted by Bintherduntht View Post
    4 years sober. Alcohol and fitness don't mix. I say fuk alcohol. Get some kratom or something if you wanna have some fun/relax/be sociable
    I don't know if I'd recommend kratom right off the bat for someone that appears to have issues with addiction. Sure, it's likely preferable to alcohol, but for someone trying to get clean, I'd stay away from everything for now, and figure out what to try later, you know?
    Facebook.com/pmaxlabs
    www.PerformaxLabs.com

20. Quote Originally Posted by muscleupcrohn View Post
    I don't know if I'd recommend kratom right off the bat for someone that appears to have issues with addiction. Sure, it's likely preferable to alcohol, but for someone trying to get clean, I'd stay away from everything for now, and figure out what to try later, you know?
    No Kratom is proven to HELP with addiction. It helped me get off alcohol. People use it to get off other stuff, it's not addicting.

I would absolutely recommend it.

I have been taking it for years, not one side effect.

21. Quote Originally Posted by Delboss731 View Post
    Try Kratom brother it will help.

I was a total drunk(liquor everyday) for years. DUIS, jail, family issues. AA meetings. I know ALL about alcohol and it's abuse.

First step really is putting the bottle down.

Try marijuana or Kratom.

I highly recommend Kratom, no side effects. It actually aids in digestion and has a host of other health benefits

22. Quote Originally Posted by D3x View Post
    Not alcohol problems, but meth problems.. was addicted for about 5 years.. been clean about 20months now. I'm no expert on addiction or drinking, but cognitive behavioral therapy style recovery programs helped me the most. That and finally going to treatment in a place that allowed me to become more integrated back into the community as well as supportive housing after treatment.. got a job and made myself find something social I used to like to do like playing magic the gathering or dnd with nerd friends one day a week.. also hitting the gym with consistency.. once you rebuild a new structure in your daily life it gets easier and easier.. also being around people who don't do what you are trying to stop doing kinda rubs off on you.. I know with drinking there are some medications you could consider taking like antabuse or campral.. they say antabuse is dangerous because it makes you fairly sick when you drink while on it, but in most cases it's not life threatening and honestly it's the closest thing to how the principles of behavior modification outline to reduce the frequency of a given behavior because the consequence immediately follows the behavior you want to change.. the other option is to continue until you lose everything and wake up in a jail.. typically that's the same idea, but is much worse than just getting ill as a consequence.. both are in ways an aversion type conditioning..
    I have continued until I lost everything.

I know the ins and outs of addiction. It runs in my family so it really is a struggle to stay clean.

Alcohol, benzos, weed, pills, cocaine, speed you name it.

Getting sober really is UP TO YOU.

Even if your around sober people(which I found out in AA is a lie, half of them are still drinking/drugging) it is ultimately UP TO YOU.
    You have to get to a point where enough is enough.

It's not up to others, it's up to you. I stopped because I was ruining my life and health. I chose to stop after hitting rock bottom.

23. Quote Originally Posted by D3x View Post
    That's pretty much the dumbest over simplification of a seriously difficult challenge for someone ever.. please gtfo if you don't want to help.. dude reached out.. respect him for that..
    It actually is that simple. Just stop.

I did it. You shouldn't need someone else to tell you to stop. It's called will power. Sure you can ask for help, but it's ultimately up to you.

I quit cold turkey. It's all in the mind.

24. Quote Originally Posted by New2this40 View Post
    EXACTLY.

IT is as simple as just stopping.
    Man up, go through withdrawals, and live a better life.

The time frame of withdrawals is tiny compared to how much damage your doing.

25. Quote Originally Posted by muscleupcrohn View Post
    Yes, you do have to “just do it,” but there’s a reason why things like AA work so well for a lot of people; having some form of community of people who have going through the same thing can help, as can having some, any, plan to evaluate your life and try to address the root causes and triggers and how to eliminate, reduce, and/or avoid them in the future. Yes, you have to “just do it,” but sometimes it’s wise to just do it with some help and a gameplan. Not everyone can just decide “I’m going to quit, all on my own, no help.” If you did, good for you, but not everyone can.

Also, as I’ve explained, it’s just such silly advice. Why not give suggestions as to how to do it? Saying just do it is the same thing as you telling me you want to become a Pro bodybuilder and me telling you just do it, and then strutting around like I actually have you legitimate advice instead of just useless drivel.
    Have you ever been to AA? I did for 2 years. Half if not more people there are still drinking and on drugs. I would literally see guys show up high as a kite.

It is up to the individual. Plain and simple.

AA did nothing to help me. I did it myself. It's called will power
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Eat any sugar alcohol lately?
    By Draven in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-29-2007, 09:33 PM
  2. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-15-2003, 07:56 AM
  3. alcohol and UA
    By dr.mattdogg in forum Supplements
    Replies: 2