Gun Talk: 10mm

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
What do you guys think of 10mm, specifically for defense? 10mm is the only reason I want a Glock, since it's the only decent 10mm for the price range. It's just too bad CZ doesn't make a 10mm and keep it in production.

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
Are you set on a 10mm? I've never shot one mainly because I'm cheap. :)

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If carrying one is needed as part of your job then I see the need for a 10mm. For average joe self defense then 9mm is fine. That is what I think about 10mm.
More than a few years ago it was 10mm vs. .40. Unknown who would come out as the more popular. We now know it is .40 so 10mm is not as common as you found. I think FBI used 10mm for a few years in the early90s before changing. SW made a 10mm for the FBI then.

Hey I love the old 1930s Browning Hi-Power(my fav although I was not trained on it) so you go with what you like. Like that Jingle from J.G. Wentworth, its your gun, get it when you need it.

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
If carrying one is needed as part of your job then I see the need for a 10mm. For average joe self defense then 9mm is fine. That is what I think about 10mm.
More than a few years ago it was 10mm vs. .40. Unknown who would come out as the more popular. We now know it is .40 so 10mm is not as common as you found. I think FBI used 10mm for a few years in the early90s before changing. SW made a 10mm for the FBI then.

Hey I love the old 1930s Browning Hi-Power(my fav although I was not trained on it) so you go with what you like. Like that Jingle from J.G. Wentworth, its your gun, get it when you need it.
Technically the 9mm won, since the FBI dumped the 40. :)

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Love the 10mm, and (big IMO here) especially in a 1911 platform. But not for a defensive round. I've CC'd just about everything, 38, 357, 44, 380,40 and 45. I've got a S&W Model 60 that I seem to carry 75% of the time. Not a fan of Glocks, but again, just my opinion.

dds

dds

Awards
  • Established
I have used a 10mm glock to dear hunt before with a 6" lone wolf barrel....it did the job real well

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Technically the 9mm won, since the FBI dumped the 40. :)
I missed that announcement entirely. Easier for little hands/people to handle as well I mean as regards the FBI choice. You know women.

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Love the 10mm, and (big IMO here) especially in a 1911 platform. But not for a defensive round. I've CC'd just about everything, 38, 357, 44, 380,40 and 45. I've got a S&W Model 60 that I seem to carry 75% of the time. Not a fan of Glocks, but again, just my opinion.
Wait, a 44 is way more powerful than a 10mm. I'm not a fan of Glocks either, but a 10mm with a lower bore axis for $500 is hard to beat. It's either a 10mm or a 45(probably in a Baby Eagle compact) with 185 grain +P ammo. That'll put the ballistics up to a low end 10mm round, actually slightly more powerful.
Edit: Magnum Research e-mailed me and told me not to use +p ammo, so 10mm it is.

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm going to look at more reviews on the 10mm EAA Witness. If it only has feed issue on hot ammo, I might just buy a heavier spring and when I want to shoot hot ammo swap between springs. It shouldn't be that much of an issue. Edit: Read they have cracked slide issues.

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have used a 10mm glock to dear hunt before with a 6" lone wolf barrel....it did the job real well
Did you have any feeding issues when going from lower spec ammo to higher spec? That seems like a common issue with 10mm. Even for a Glock, the Glock 40 looks pretty. There is just something about long slides.

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If only the Bren Ten was still around...*sigh*

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I know it's easier said than done, but you should start reloading. Then you can load ammo to what each gun shoots best. And, you end up shooting more often. My skills improved the most after I started reloading. Almost turned into a hobby of its own. Only downside is that I've been known to spend more time policing brass than shooting. Hard to leave that stuff just lay there.

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I want one that goes to 11.

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Wait, a 44 is way more powerful than a 10mm. I'm not a fan of Glocks either, but a 10mm with a lower bore axis for $500 is hard to beat.
Indeed it is! I had a 629-3 Mountain in 44 mag that was almost enjoyable to shoot. Sold it one day in a moment of weakness. Picked up a Charter Arms pug that carried like a dream. Ended up selling it as well, partial funding for a Ruger Blackhawk Hunter with a Bisley grip. As far as carrying, I've finally come to the point where I carry appropriate for the area I'm going to, and most places I don't need a cannon anymore. My next purchase will be another 10mm. Dan Wesson Silverback, which I walked away from a few months back because I didn't want my wife to de-nut me over another gun purchase. But spring (and bonus time) is just around the corner.

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I know it's easier said than done, but you should start reloading. Then you can load ammo to what each gun shoots best. And, you end up shooting more often. My skills improved the most after I started reloading. Almost turned into a hobby of its own. Only downside is that I've been known to spend more time policing brass than shooting. Hard to leave that stuff just lay there.
Not enough room for that. I live with family and I live in a town house. That would have to wait until after college.

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
I missed that announcement entirely. Easier for little hands/people to handle as well I mean as regards the FBI choice. You know women.
That's why leo trade in 40's are around $300 and you can get a box of 40 for $10-12 now.

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
How are the Glock sights? it seems like the factor sights suck.

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
How are the Glock sights? it seems like the factor sights suck.
I've shot one lots of times and was fine with it. Besides you don't need sights for home defense. lol I should say I never shot the regular but the compact. I was just as accurate and more so of other compacts.

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
You can get different sights. My used glock came with older 3 dot night sights. I've never shot the u shaped sights. Maybe see if you can find a 10mm with different sights than usual stock ones.

Nope

Awards
Man, you guys are blessed! Here in Australia our gun laws are rather restrictive. They pretty much wont the average joe have s**t!

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Webleys and Enfields all gone?
Lol!!

I almost bought a Webley Mark I at a gun show one time just for shyts and giggles. I probably would have been too scared to shoot it, honestly. Thing was interesting for sure.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have four., one each .455 into .45acp; .455, two each .38.

I would only shoot wadcutters through the .45acp conversion. Already at the top end in terms of pressure

dds

dds

Awards
  • Established
I have four., one each .455 into .45acp; .455, two each .38.

I would only shoot wadcutters through the .45acp conversion. Already at the top end in terms of pressure
Reload and down load the rounds

FRITZBLITZ

FRITZBLITZ

Banned
Awards
'm surprised no body wanted to vote on the FN 5seven??? That gun with a 24 round mag is a do it all. I have a Springfield SDM45 with 5.5 inch threaded barrel and suppressor. I wish I stuck with a 9mm though.

In hollow pt, shreader, counter pt, rounds the 9 mm is almost as destructive. the only diff is the distance is way off the 45 has 2x distance of lethality.
I also had a 357mg auto that was fun but just more bang than I needed.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Reload and down load the rounds
There is a 750FPS 45ACP. I believe it is about 16000psi. Right in Webley's proofed range. Have it bookmarked. Sadly have not gone shooting in a few years. Bro. is away out of country the past few years. It is a family thing we did.

FRITZBLITZ

FRITZBLITZ

Banned
Awards
There is a 750FPS 45ACP. I believe it is about 16000psi. Right in Webley's proofed range. Have it bookmarked. Sadly have not gone shooting in a few years. Bro. is away out of country the past few years. It is a family thing we did.
Yah the 45acp is a versitile round, I guess I should have said I want another 9mm. I love my 45 with a 5" BCS suppresor I can kill the robber and his family without waking anyone. I love that gun.

THOR 70

THOR 70

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
'm surprised no body wanted to vote on the FN 5seven??? That gun with a 24 round mag is a do it all. I have a Springfield SDM45 with 5.5 inch threaded barrel and suppressor. I wish I stuck with a 9mm though.

In hollow pt, shreader, counter pt, rounds the 9 mm is almost as destructive. the only diff is the distance is way off the 45 has 2x distance of lethality.
Dude the FN 5.7 is such a cool gun/round! On my dream list right after my sig x five

FRITZBLITZ

FRITZBLITZ

Banned
Awards
Dude the FN 5.7 is such a cool gun/round! On my dream list right after my sig x five
Its on my list but I think its reduntant to have more than 2 guns in each catagory and I have 2 handguns: my 45 and a H&K 9mm.

But check out Nimo arms recon rifle. I'm saving for that with a suppresor and a predator 2 scope. I shot one of the Nimo 300mags and it kicks like less that a AR-15 it's insane how you can stay scoped in. I hope to go on a rampage shooting from a clock tower soon ;)

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

Personally, IMO, the 5.7 is an overrated round and in the case of the FN, far too expensive of a handgun for what you're getting. I think there are far better choices when it comes to a home / self defense handgun. If you want one just because you want one, go for it. But I'd take a pass if it's going to be for defensive purposes. Again, IMO.

THOR 70

THOR 70

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Personally, IMO, the 5.7 is an overrated round and in the case of the FN, far too expensive of a handgun for what you're getting. I think there are far better choices when it comes to a home / self defense handgun. If you want one just because you want one, go for it. But I'd take a pass if it's going to be for defensive purposes. Again, IMO.
I agree it’s expensive but I would say the round is underrated due to its velocity, capacity ability, and penetration capabilities. I think it would be a blast to shoot with low recoil and fast follow up shots. But I can’t afford the ammo right now so I’m saving for the sig x five as I want to get into 3 gun competitions. My saving was severely set back when I purchased this last weekend on a whim IMG_1997.jpg

THOR 70

THOR 70

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Its on my list but I think its reduntant to have more than 2 guns in each catagory and I have 2 handguns: my 45 and a H&K 9mm.

But check out Nimo arms recon rifle. I'm saving for that with a suppresor and a predator 2 scope. I shot one of the Nimo 300mags and it kicks like less that a AR-15 it's insane how you can stay scoped in. I hope to go on a rampage shooting from a clock tower soon ;)
I’m afraid to look as I just picked up a 6.5 creedmore and don’t want to fall in love again just yet haha. It kicks like a .243 and I hit a coyote size steel target at 620 years and 400 yards was too easy haha

THOR 70

THOR 70

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Couldn’t help it I looked. Glad that is a gas gun and 4 times the cost of my new 6.5 lol gives me something to dream in my dreams about lol

FRITZBLITZ

FRITZBLITZ

Banned
Awards
Couldn’t help it I looked. Glad that is a gas gun and 4 times the cost of my new 6.5 lol gives me something to dream in my dreams about lol
with the suppressor and scope it's 7k so it will be the most expensive purchase that doesn't have a motor or a mortgage but you with the Predator 2 scope it instantly calculates windage, drop, and fade making it possible to stay scoped in and punch through 1/2" steele targets at 1000 yards with about 3 sconds between shots. It's the most effective killing machine I have seen since I fired a mini-gun :)

THOR 70

THOR 70

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
with the suppressor and scope it's 7k so it will be the most expensive purchase that doesn't have a motor or a mortgage but you with the Predator 2 scope it instantly calculates windage, drop, and fade making it possible to stay scoped in and punch through 1/2" steele targets at 1000 yards with about 3 sconds between shots. It's the most effective killing machine I have seen since I fired a mini-gun :)
Sound like a blast!

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I know I started the thread about 10mm, but once my handgun license clears, I have my eye on a S&W M&P 2.0 in 40. They're only $425-$485 at my local shop. The guy told me the more expensive ones come with better sights. I'm going to get the more expensive one and opt for a manual safety. I am going to just stock up on Winchester 155 grain hollow points. If I remember correctly, they have a muzzle energy of 512 pounds and a speed about 1150 FPS. A box of 20 cost $15. I might get some Winchester FMJ 165 grain at Walmart. $55 for a box of 200. I just really like the M&P and for the price it's very hard to beat.