Anyone know anyone who died due to the effects of supplements or using PEDs?

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
An acquaintance passed the other day. Big built guy. Used HGH. developed lung cancer which spread. Gone in a year. Dr. says it was related to the HGH use.

About 40 years of age. On the stuff for about a decade.

Godstrength

Godstrength

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I heard the same thing about hgh and even there are studies that suggest mk677 can rapidly increase cancer growth as well

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
A lot of research in cancer right now is looking at how different growth factors and pathways help cancer cells proliferate and survive so well. The idea is to create drugs to inhibit those pathways, where HGH could accelerate the situation. So even if things like HGH don't "cause" cancer, they're likely to increase your chances of it escalating a lot quicker. You might have been caught at stage I and you now catch it at a stage IV (aka get your affairs in order).

I'm working on a project right now in lung cancer and have spoken to about 15 survivors, only two of which ever smoked. It's heartbreaking and I'm so very sorry for your loss.

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Cancer cannot survive in an alkaline environment, so I think using ketosis cycling on occasion could offset any cancer growth. Additionally, anti-oxidative diets can help.

The only studies I have found with HGH are related to colorectal cancer only, and no other indications with other types of cancer.

Does growth hormone cause cancer?
Abstract
The ability of GH, via its mediator peptide IGF-1, to influence regulation of cellular growth has been the focus of much interest in recent years. In this review, we will explore the association between GH and cancer. Available experimental data support the suggestion that GH/IGF-1 status may influence neoplastic tissue growth. Extensive epidemiological data exist that also support a link between GH/IGF-1 status and cancer risk. Epidemiological studies of patients with acromegaly indicate an increased risk of colorectal cancer, although risk of other cancers is unproven, and a long-term follow-up study of children deficient in GH treated with pituitary-derived GH has indicated an increased risk of colorectal cancer. Conversely, extensive studies of the outcome of GH replacement in childhood cancer survivors show no evidence of an excess of de novo cancers, and more recent surveillance of children and adults treated with GH has revealed no increase in observed cancer risk. However, given the experimental evidence that indicates GH/IGF-1 provides an anti-apoptotic environment that may favour survival of genetically damaged cells, longer-term surveillance is necessary; over many years, even a subtle alteration in the environmental milieu in this direction, although not inducing cancer, could result in acceleration of carcinogenesis. Finally, even if GH/IGF-1 therapy does result in a small increase in cancer risk compared to untreated patients with GH deficiency, it is likely that the eventual risk will be the same as the general population. Such a restoration to normality will need to be balanced against the known morbidity of untreated GH deficiency.
Source:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16430706

Estrogen, Estrogen Receptor and Lung Cancer.
Abstract
Estrogen has been postulated as a contributor for lung cancer development and progression. We reviewed the current knowledge about the expression and prognostic implications of the estrogen receptors (ER) in lung cancer, the effect and signaling pathway of estrogen on lung cancer, the hormone replacement therapy and lung cancer risk and survival, the mechanistic relationship between the ER and the epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR), and the relevant clinical trials combining the ER antagonist and the EGFR antagonist, to investigate the role of estrogen in lung cancer. Estrogen and its receptor have the potential to become a prognosticator and a therapeutic target in lung cancer. On the other hand, tobacco smoking aggravates the effect of estrogen and endocrine disruptive chemicals from the environment targeting ER may well contribute to the lung carcinogenesis. They have gradually become important issues in the course of preventive medicine.
Source:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28783064

Very sorry for the loss of your friend.

bosskardo

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Cancer cannot survive in an alkaline environment, so I think using ketosis cycling on occasion could offset any cancer growth. Additionally, anti-oxidative diets can help.

The only studies I have found with HGH are related to colorectal cancer only, and no other indications with other types of cancer.

Does growth hormone cause cancer?

Source:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16430706

Estrogen, Estrogen Receptor and Lung Cancer.

Source:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28783064

Very sorry for the loss of your friend.
Any idea how long 1 should be on ketogenic diet to get alkaline? I personally only do 2-3 days on keto diet so don't get into real ketosis.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
No cell (cancerous or not) in your body can survive in a too alkaline environment. There is no diet possible that will alter your body's pH enough to make a difference. You can alter the pH of your urine, but you're not going to be able to alter the overall pH of your body or even the microenvironment at the site of the cancer to cause an effect.

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
No cell (cancerous or not) in your body can survive in a too alkaline environment. There is no diet possible that will alter your body's pH enough to make a difference. You can alter the pH of your urine, but you're not going to be able to alter the overall pH of your body or even the microenvironment at the site of the cancer to cause an effect.
I was thinking more out loud and with regard to ketogenics used in cancer treatment. I realize we alter our Ph too much we die, but thinking more about the glucose dependency of the cancer cells makes more sense.

Some of the clinical results include a case report of two female pediatric patients, with advanced stage malignant astrocytoma who demonstrated a 21.8% decrease in tumor SUV when these patients were fed a ketogenic diet, as determined by uptake of 2-deoxy-2[18F]fluoro-d-glucose (FDG) using positron emission tomography (PET) [42]. A more recent case report showed improvement in a 65 year old female patient with glioblastoma multiforme treated with calorie-restricted ketogenic diet together with standard treatment [43]. Importantly, a quality of life study in patients with advanced cancer found that a ketogenic diet had no severe adverse effects, improved emotional functioning, and reduced insomnia [44].
Source:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4215472/

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I was thinking more out loud and with regard to ketogenics used in cancer treatment. I realize we alter our Ph too much we die, but thinking more about the glucose dependency of the cancer cells makes more sense.

Source:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4215472/
Yeah, sorry, didn't mean to come off as attacking. I just see FB posts on a daily basis about how people can cure cancer by drinking lemon water while jumping on one foot or something equally insane. If a ketogenic diet could give somebody even a fraction of a percent better chance at survival, then it's worth trying. I just haven't seen anything that strongly shows that to be the case.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Saw a very good documentary about 15 years ago, following 5 terminal cancer patients over a year. All did different alternative approaches. Only one survived this year. She did a ultra low calorie- low protein diet, living in a supportive group who cooked their weird meals together, mainly algae and whatnot, cancer got into remission completely. 3 years later she returned home, changed diet to normal and died. In the remaining low protein group ALL were still alive after 3 years. All with different cancers.
Needless to say, all survivors felt like sh1t and looked like the living dead on this diet -but lived.

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I keep seeing stories about people eating hedge apples (seed pods from the Osage orange tree) to cure their cancer. Unfortunately, it seems that a lot of these articles are full of misspelled words and references to other "cures", like the importance of a vegan diet so your body can detox itself to the correct ph level.

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Yeah, sorry, didn't mean to come off as attacking. I just see FB posts on a daily basis about how people can cure cancer by drinking lemon water while jumping on one foot or something equally insane. If a ketogenic diet could give somebody even a fraction of a percent better chance at survival, then it's worth trying. I just haven't seen anything that strongly shows that to be the case.
Oh no. I didn't take it that way at all and appreciate your thoughts.

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
How many of the pumping iron bbers are alive today? (RIP Serge Nubret) High protein diets and PED's making up a significant portion of their lives.

THOR 70

THOR 70

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I think the only way you could attribute a death to a supplement or PED is if it was acute. Like and overdose/LD50 situation. Or a lethal combo that caused a drug/drug interaction. In regards to the HGH, it just speeds up the cancerous cell growth, doesn't create cancerous cells. I could be wrong tho.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I think the only way you could attribute a death to a supplement or PED is if it was acute. Like and overdose/LD50 situation. Or a lethal combo that caused a drug/drug interaction. In regards to the HGH, it just speeds up the cancerous cell growth, doesn't create cancerous cells. I could be wrong tho.
that is what I read years ago regarding HGH when deciding to do or not. oddly enough heavy lifting has amped up, (and should for all of us as well), my IGF1 only not to the level where it causes concern.

Max.1

Awards
It's really difficult to say these days which things influence cancer and which don't... seems like opinions about it change almost every day. I'm beginning to feel scared about eating anything at al! :(

THOR 70

THOR 70

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
It's really difficult to say these days which things influence cancer and which don't... seems like opinions about it change almost every day. I'm beginning to feel scared about eating anything at al! :(
Not a bad approach. Fasting has shown to increase longevity