Gain .5" on your arms in 1 second?

Justlooking5

Justlooking5

Awards
Funny, so I have been using the same tape measure for like 4+ years. It's older, but I figured it was still reasonably accurate. Until I got curious and measured it against the inches on my bodyfat caliper... well the tape measure inches were like 1/4" longer than the caliper's!

So my arms have been measuring about 16.25-16.5" cold, and I'm lamenting the fact that years ago when I was ~215 (I'm about 217 now) my arms were 17 inches cold (granted I was on gear back then).

So I order a new tape measure and get it from the mailbox today. It measures my arms at 17" cold. The whole time I'm wondering why my arms aren't bigger for my weight and bodyfat and it's probably the tape measure. I am assuming the new one is the accurate one as it is new and seems higher quality.

The old tape measure was a cheap one I bought at Rite Aid or something and I think it has been stretched over the years, as apparently happens. But pretty big difference, > 1/2" in arm measurement just based on getting a new tape measure. So check the accuracy of your tape measures against a ruler or something solid.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
it probably stretched or warped from being used for years. Glad you found an accurate one

Justlooking5

Justlooking5

Awards
Yeah and I read that cheap tape measures may not even be accurate to start with (and they can stretch). So a good idea to compare it to a ruler or online ruler you can google. A 1/2" difference for arms is pretty significant in terms of how much progress you're making.