Should I take this job?

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
I'm not sure what to do in this situation. The other day I met my wife's uncle that lives a couple of hours away from us. He apparently is a big boss with some power company. When he saw me and saw that I am in good shape, he started talking to me about lifting weights and how he used to do it in high school. After that, we got talking about hunting and and treestands. I told him about how I use a climber stand and whatnot. Anyway, he started asking me if I like to climb trees and working in the outdoors and I told him I love working in the outdoors. He said "I could probably get you a job with me as a lineman, climbing and working maintenance on electrical polls for the power company. They would pay you around $33.25 per hour". I told him that sounded nice and he said to send him a Resume if I am interested. This sounds really good and it's more money than I am making now. Right now I'm only getting $28.86 and only making about $70,000 a year with overtime. I like being in the outdoors and I love climbing treestands and stuff, but there is a downside. My job as an RN will be here if the country gets worse, and I think lineman jobs could go downhill fairly easily. I think I would enjoy being a lineman more and it's more money, but my wife is also an RN, so it's not like I'm in desperate need for money.

Pros: more money, funner job, I'll enjoy doing it more, will get to know my wife's uncle better
Cons: not as economy proof, I enjoy working with my current nurses, and I love my 4 day rotation schedule

What would you do?

diggyboo

diggyboo

Awards
Man RN is a pretty good job. It's stable. $28.00 is pretty good money.

Jordinator

Awards
  • Established
I think an RN is a way more respectable job. Both not bad by any means. I know it's also a very hard job, physically and emotionally draining. However the lineman job I've heard is quite dangerous so there are those trade offs.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ultimately do what makes you happiest, whether it is the work itself or stability or what not. I'm sure as an RN you know you can pick up critical skill sets and earn more pay etc. Ever thought about NP, PA, CNRA?

mich29

mich29

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
in this current environment I would go with the job that is more stable

rsnake21

rsnake21

Awards
  • Established
Screw the money bro don't let that weigh in your decision if your not hurting which it doesn't sound like. I took alot less money but I enjoy my job and my quality of life is so much better now. Is a job really a job if you enjoy doing it?

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
Screw the money bro don't let that weigh in your decision if your not hurting which it doesn't sound like. I took alot less money but I enjoy my job and my quality of life is so much better now. Is a job really a job if you enjoy doing it?
Good point.

Ultimately do what makes you happiest, whether it is the work itself or stability or what not. I'm sure as an RN you know you can pick up critical skill sets and earn more pay etc. Ever thought about NP, PA, CNRA?
You're definitely right about that. I have indeed thought about both NP and PA. When I first enrolled in college it was to become a PA, then I decided to go with RN because I thought it'd only be two years, and then I found out it'd be four years or more and I still stuck with it in the end.

I was taking exercise physiology aiming for my associates so I could possibly start my own gym and I ended up only going 1 semester lol. I might consider going to PA school later on in life, but right now I enjoy doing things I love to do on my four days off.

This is really a tough decision.....I've always wanted to wear a hard hat and steel toes to work. I really love my easy, laid back job. When I get off work at the hospital I go to the gym and still have loads of energy, but lineman work would probably cause me to be tired a lot and I would only get two days off....

I might stay where I am.

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If you took the linemen job and didn't like it, I think you know you would always be able to get back into nursing.