Anybody know...Cuffs, any other police officers?

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
If car registration is under vin # or just name. I have this problem. The state I live in won't renew my tags, and want about $12,000. About five years ago I ran into some money problems and my insurance lapsed and they wanted $3200 to renew my tags, so since I did not have the money I registered my car in another state. But now I want to buy a new car and I am worried that when they try to process my reg. papers their alarms will go off. Since the incident I have renewed my liciense with no problems so I am thinking that it's attached to the vin # and not my name. But if it is under my name then I am screwed. Anyone know...

lil-show

Awards
It is definitely attached to the vin number of that vehicle. You will not get your car titled if there was a lapse in your isurance and you owe the money. You will have to contact Insurance compliance at MVA and pay the difference. If you go to purchase a new car- You will NOT get a title for it, they will process everything at the dealership and you will get the car, but then you will eventually get a letter from the dealership telling you that they could not get your title for you and your vehicle could not be registered. You could pay the difference and then get the title or depending on your state, a copy of your title to register the new vehicle, or you will end up having a new car that is not reginstered, even though you will have tags from your other one. Then you will have to take the chance of not getting pulled over and the police running your tags and finding out that you are a non registered driver. My best bet would be to start paying that back, it is nothing to mess with, especially since you plan on getting a new car again soon. Hope that helps.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
Attached. You'll have to pay those other fees when buying a new car.

TheChosen1

TheChosen1

Awards
I used to work in auto theft and I remembered that the "NI" flag is usually on the vehicle (both VIN and plate). There may also be a possibility that it'll be on your D.L. but I can't be too sure. I believe it is in Louisiana.