Where are the motorcycle enthusiasts?

Musclehead69

Awards
I've been considering purchasing a motorcycle and joining an MC, or motorcycle club for those of you who don't know, for several months now. I'd prefer an older and cheaper motorcycle first, so that I can better determine whether I like to ride and if I'd like to invest further funds for a more expensive bike if I do choose to join an MC and make riding a lifestyle for myself. I'd prefer a Harley-Davidson since most MC's prefer that their members - even prospects - own a Harley but I have a few different MC's in mind.

If there are any other AM members who ride and could shed some light on the subject for me then I would appreciate it.

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ooookey dokey...

Well, first thing's first. Don't know if there are any MC's in here or not, but I'm really going to have to speak out against it. The concept of a MC is "outlaw", or "1%'er", which does often involve illegal activity. If that's your thing, hey go for it. Just be really aware that what you are thinking here is flawed. You don't join a MC. You are picked, then you are a prospect, and then maybe you become a member. It's not nearly as easy as buying a bike, slapping a patch on, and calling it a day...not unless you want a SERIOUS arse beating mixed inbetween there on more than one occasion.

MCs are not something to mess with unless you really know what you are doing. So far, I'm gonna have to say that you don't. Sure, there may be smaller MCs in your area that are nice and friendly, but keep in mind that there are only a few true MCs, and those which are smaller and not recognized by the big ones are subject to being overtaken, beaten up, made to pay tribute, or worse. It's a dangerous world, man.

How do I know? I've done my homework... and one of my titles is "President - Laurel Highlands Vulcan Riders Association, Chapter 1-17". I am the founder and current Pres of an AMA-recognized riding club - a RC. Big differences here, man. MC's earn their patches, RC's buy 'em. The Vulcan Riders Association, VRA, is an owners club that's internationally recognized, like Harley Owners Group (HOG) or the Goldwing Riders. Yeah, we're more or less the weekend warriors of the motorcycling community, but we know what it's all about - the ride.

Our organization is family friendly and the focus is on the ride and having fun. If you're looking for that from a MC, then that might not be the focus of them. If you're looking to get out and ride, look for a RC in your area. If there isn't one, you can actually start one. Best bet is to contact HOG if you buy a Harley and go from there.

As for bikes, that one is VERY much up to you. Learn to ride, buy something that fits you, and go from there. I could recommend a Kawasaki Vulcan because I have the experience with them - reliable, long-running, and the 1600 engine in my Mean Streak is bulletproof. Nowadays, most ALL manufacturers make great bikes. Hondas are sporty, as are a lot of the Suzuki and Star (Yamaha) bikes. Victories are really B.A., and they're made in America just like Harleys (even more so, actually). Those are just the bigger brands. Ultimately it's up to you to find something you like and go from there. Honestly, don't buy it for a brand name. That's just being fashionable, and unfortunately, that seems to be where most HD owners fall nowadays. But hey, if you want to ride a "real bike" wearing your penny loafers, go for it! As for me, my Meanie's seen many miles in the rain and performed beautifully last Monday when I left for work... at 15 degrees outside.

Buy a bike that fits. Buy one you like. Trick it out as you see fit. First and foremost, GET OUT AND RIDE!!! There's no experience quite like it. If you have any questions from a club aspect, fire away. I'll help as much as I can.

Oh, and I'd be remiss if I didn't throw up a pic of my baby, just to gloat... he he he...

bakerderek0

bakerderek0

Awards
  • Established
MC's are life long commitments. if you have a family or a high view of the law, i'd stay away. it's been a dream of mine to be a 1%er, but i had kids and did what is best for them.

HondaV65

HondaV65

Awards
  • Established
I am HondaV65 ...

Hear me roar ...

It's a 1984 Honda V65 Magna. This was the fastest production bike on the market when it went live in 1983. My V65 is now 26 years old and it purrs like a kitten. Babe will still pull 145mph without complaining. I have to do my own maintenance on this kitten - which has included sometimes modifying systems due to lack of available parts.

My other ride ...

It's a 2002 Road King Classic and I bought it in Hawaii. It's a great ride for me and Mrs. Honda (who is too scared to ride the V65) ... still, I would like to trade it for a Honda VFR1200.

EDIT: I'll also add - I'm not a member of a club. And yeah - I'll ride my Harley in my Chuck Taylor All Stars because I'm not out to conform to anyone's idea of a "bad boy". I ride bikes for the thrill and freedom of riding them, and because they are technological wonders - and that means, to me, I don't need all the leather badass. I've seen the leather crowd ... most of 'em can't do a valve adjustment or rebuild a starter clutch. They're not jedi's.

ThER6KinG

ThER6KinG

Awards
  • Established
I have an Yamaha R6 and love it I like just cruising with a friend or two or by myself not really into clubs

bakerderek0

bakerderek0

Awards
  • Established
My 2007 yamaha r1 was sick. 186mph was amazing the one time I hit it. But one little old lady turned out in front of me one day and it was totaled & I had a broken femur, multiple wounds ( which required skin grafts) and a torn scrotum. Enjoy your new motorcycle. ;)

ThER6KinG

ThER6KinG

Awards
  • Established
My 2007 yamaha r1 was sick. 186mph was amazing the one time I hit it. But one little old lady turned out in front of me one day and it was totaled & I had a broken femur, multiple wounds ( which required skin grafts) and a torn scrotum. Enjoy your new motorcycle. ;)
jesus dude thats rough dude at least your ok now, and yea I dont do anything crazy just cruise haha my friend totaled his bike last year trying to do a wheelie but he failed...terribly

how do i post a picture?

bakerderek0

bakerderek0

Awards
  • Established
You have to host it then put the link into img brackets or click on the button that looks like a yellow mountain picture and inserts link into provided bracket.

ThER6KinG

ThER6KinG

Awards
  • Established
o damn haha ok wish i was better with computers

bakerderek0

bakerderek0

Awards
  • Established
Its cool. I wish I was better with women :lmao:

ThER6KinG

ThER6KinG

Awards
  • Established
:beerchug: agreed haha

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm gonna keep my post simple and just comment on one thing that I have been seeing in this thread. Not all MC's are 1%ers. For example the Booze Fighters are large (world wide) and were there at Hollister. They are one of the oldest MC's and have never been 1% or an outlaw MC. It's true that many are, but it's not really that fair to jump to that conclusion.

bakerderek0

bakerderek0

Awards
  • Established
That's why 1% are called that. 99% of all mc's are law abiding groups. Then there are the 1%ers.

airram479

Awards
  • Established
I worked with this dude a long time ago that was a prospect for the Outlawz, after one week he was done.

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm gonna keep my post simple and just comment on one thing that I have been seeing in this thread. Not all MC's are 1%ers. For example the Booze Fighters are large (world wide) and were there at Hollister. They are one of the oldest MC's and have never been 1% or an outlaw MC. It's true that many are, but it's not really that fair to jump to that conclusion.
That's why 1% are called that. 99% of all mc's are law abiding groups. Then there are the 1%ers.
Cat is right in that not MCs are 1%'ers. However, the distinction between a RC and MC, as I mentioned above, is worth noting. When you are a MC, you're recognized as such, and those few 1%ers MAY approach you about it. As a RC, one of the things that we learn first is the distinction and what to do if approached. I've been approached, and I've been circled, and eyeballed in a crowd. It's not a comfortable feeling. Not saying that it scares me, as so far I've been much bigger than just about every biker I've ever come across, but I have no plans of getting into any problems because someone thinks I'm wearing "colors". My chapter elected to not wear a back patch because of this. Instead, we wear a 4" round VRA national patch up front and whatever tame we want out back. Some guys have their eagle or whiskey skulls. Me? I just went original - had a patch made of the cartoon skull version of MYSELF!!! Yup...vanity. :D

I've come across members of the Blue Knights (state cops), but also had conversations from a member of the Pagans while he was out on a bit of a "hunt" for some posers. As a chapter President, I speak on behalf of my members, and should anything get to heavy for me, I pass it to the National President. Other chapters have had run-ins and been asked to join the CoC (Council of Clubs), which puts them in the fold with other MCs and 1%ers. For us, those enthusiasts who just want to ride together under a unified organization, we don't want mixed up with that.

One major thing to remember is this, and it goes for everyone out there, not just us riders... Treat MCs and 1%ers as if they are everywhere, because they are. The guy walking the dog, the mailman, the lady behind the bar, the dude running coal truck... If you're out and about talking to someone about MCs, be respectful because you never know when a member or affiliate is listening in. Saw the wrong thing in front of the wrong person, and that Hollywood crap CAN AND WILL come to life right up in your face.

airram479

Awards
  • Established
All i know is that any 1% er wearing a full patch--i would def stay away from!

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
All i know is that any 1% er wearing a full patch--i would def stay away from!
Elaboration: 3-piece patch = 1%er. Includes main page, top rocker and bottom rocker. Sometimes supplemented with the "duh" patch that says "MC" in either a square or a diamond.

2-piece patch - club in transition. MC that has been recognized by the MC community but transitioning to a 1% organization. Often as incorporated as a "chapter", or to become part of the larger 3-piece MC.

1-piece patch - Generally speaking, a RC, not a MC. OR... MC incognito. OR... some guy who bought a Harley.

Word to the wise, no matter who you are or what you ride... If you're going to patch your vest and are NOT part of a MC, keep it to a single patch, no rockers. Go beyond that and get spotted by the wrong person, you just may learn first-hand how serious they are when they say they've "earned" theirs.

:cheers:

airram479

Awards
  • Established
Elaboration: 3-piece patch = 1%er. Includes main page, top rocker and bottom rocker. Sometimes supplemented with the "duh" patch that says "MC" in either a square or a diamond.

2-piece patch - club in transition. MC that has been recognized by the MC community but transitioning to a 1% organization. Often as incorporated as a "chapter", or to become part of the larger 3-piece MC.

1-piece patch - Generally speaking, a RC, not a MC. OR... MC incognito. OR... some guy who bought a Harley.

Word to the wise, no matter who you are or what you ride... If you're going to patch your vest and are NOT part of a MC, keep it to a single patch, no rockers. Go beyond that and get spotted by the wrong person, you just may learn first-hand how serious they are when they say they've "earned" theirs.

No doubt! I ran into some Outlaws once in Chicago, fully patched, these dudes were some mean looking hombres' up to no good, i put my head down, and walked right pass them, and i could feel there eyes right on me as i passed by them.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i love the fact we can hit 105 in first

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Just gonna point out the Booze Fighters again as wearing all 3 and not being 1%. Though, their bottom rocker is not the traditional territory patch, but rather "Est. 1946"... being non territorial and not considered an Outlaw MC.

I've always known the patches and the number worn to be:
• A one-piece patch normally signifies a family club or Social motorcycle club when it's done with respect to the area clubs.
• A two-piece patch can have many different meanings as long as it's done with respect to the area clubs.
• A three-piece patch normally means that the club is a Traditional MC club. With the top rocker being the club name, the middle being their patch and the bottom being the territory they exist in.

:D

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Just gonna point out the Booze Fighters again as wearing all 3 and not being 1%. Though, their bottom rocker is not the traditional territory patch, but rather "Est. 1946"... being non territorial and not considered an Outlaw MC.

I've always known the patches and the number worn to be:
• A one-piece patch normally signifies a family club or Social motorcycle club when it's done with respect to the area clubs.
• A two-piece patch can have many different meanings as long as it's done with respect to the area clubs.
• A three-piece patch normally means that the club is a Traditional MC club. With the top rocker being the club name, the middle being their patch and the bottom being the territory they exist in.

:D
Either/or... I'm not gonna argue with ya! You could be a member, in which case, all due respect being paid! :cheers:

A good reference for anyone interested: http://www.rcvsmc.net/index.html

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
Mongols MC 1%er here, Virginia Beach chapter.

Didn't bother to read through all this thread, but I'll give you a little insight as to what you may be considering. First and foremost, gotta get a bike. That in itself will decide what kinda club you're looking at or for. Next, if you decide the 1%er route is for you, you have to consider the possible ramifications. Illegal activity - not forced or encouraged, never announced even amongst the club, or ever would it be considered a club activity. They were first asking me about joining and I made it full well known that I would not be participating in any illegal activity and they accepted that proclamation and as of current, I have never been a part of any such act nor am I aware of any acts that have taken place. I joined for a few reasons, but none of them were to be a drug running, gun toting wannabe gangster. The 1% patch isn't all about that, despite what Gangland may tell you. It's pretty much all about respect. It's demanded. The reputation that precedes most of these clubs, whether good or bad, is worn with honor and they will fight (or worse) to maintain that. After exiting the Marine Corps, I realized I missed that tight knit brotherhood that I had developed. Not surprisingly, most of my Mongol brothers are former military and it's actually a pretty common feeling. It can be a lot of fun, but it also has a lot of drawbacks that I didn't anticipate. As follows:

1) Cops, feds, etc. Without any rhyme or reason, you will be listed as an outlaw. I first got this wake up call when I rode up to Wildwood, NJ for the Pagan nationals. Feds were everywhere snapping pics, I wasn't even a full patched Mongol yet but to them I was. Nothing happened up there, thankfully. But not long afterwards back in Richmond, VA a fight broke out, and all of us were assumed guilty whether there or not and wouldn't you know it all of those pics that were taken in Jersey suddenly made their way into Richmond and I was then branded bad news. I soon afterwards lost my bar job as the cops were pressing on them really hard that I was in a biker club (they insist on calling it a gang), and the bar caved. That was a big hit to my income for something that totally didn't relate to me, just because I was a member.

2) Friends - most of them will disassociate quickly. Again, the reputation precedes you. Your closest friends will end up being in the club as you can't trust anyone else, and your former friends will feel the same about you.

3) Other MC's - friend or foe, you never know. Clubs go back and forth as to who they're friendly with. Sometimes you won't know until the **** hits the fan. You become paranoid, suspicious of every bike you see and every person you meet. What's their agenda? Mostly paranoia, or is it?

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
I can type for days on the matter, but in any case just think it through before you decide. It will change your life, for better or worse can't be predicted.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
oh, and i think i read somewhere else in here, but i'll correct it - it's not a lifelong commitment to the club unless you choose it to be. No blood in, blood out ****. Most MC's have a certain timeframe of commitment, which if you complete you are allowed to retain your colors. If you cannot meet that timeframe, you will automatically be disassociated with the club and affiliates and labeled "out bad". Now, there may be different methods of that from club to club, but again it's not a gang. Friggin gangland bs.

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
No arguments, just discussing :)
Nope! Besides, I think good ol' Beezle's posts up there speak volumes.

I really do find the whole biker community fascinating. I'm new to it all, despite people being convinced that I've been a biker for the past 10 years. (Hell, even my own homies thought I'd been riding WAY longer than I have...guess that's not a bad thing!!) But from all the stuff on TV, from documentaries to Sons of Anarchy, to word of mouth stories that I've heard from folks, to me it's all just fascinating. I definitely see the draw, but am MUCH more interested in the ride than the lifestyle. To each their own. As long as you have the wheels, you know what I'm talking about. "Cagers" often fail to realize what we see in it, and it's just a matter of gettin on a bike and going for a good ride on a nice day with good friends. There really isn't anything else like it.

And yes, I will say this... A really good ride is as good as really good sex...just with less complaining in the end. :cheers:

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
as long as you're on 2 wheels, you're good to go.

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
as long as you're on 2 wheels, you're good to go.
Amen!! Just took mine to work this morning! 40 out right now, which is MUCH better than the last time I rode it to work last week - 15 degrees. Yeah... I am truly insane, but I'm smiling!! :D

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
lmao, i rode at 28 degrees about 2 months ago with a half shell covering my grape at 80mph. Jaws were clinched so tight they hurt for a week.

Noted for next winter: thicker gloves and a face mask. can't bring myself to use a full face, i'd never hear the end of it.

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
lmao, i rode at 28 degrees about 2 months ago with a half shell covering my grape at 80mph. Jaws were clinched so tight they hurt for a week.

Noted for next winter: thicker gloves and a face mask. can't bring myself to use a full face, i'd never hear the end of it.
HA!! That's cold, man!! I did bundle up that day, but without lined gloves, doing 80 at that temp was absolutely BRUTAL. I do have a FF - ICON sportbike helmet - and not ashamed to use it. When it's cold or rainy, I'll take the advantage. Otherwise, non-DOT bucket does the trick of keeping the wife off my back!