Atkins was fat (o/t)

Number 5

Awards
o/t, but related to food & i found this piece sort of amusing. it's from:
http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/156947p-137839c.html

edit: i should add that i didn't find what the mayor said amusing. it's obviously in bad taste to say bad things about a respected old doctor who recently passed away. i just found it amusing that the mayor made a dumbass of himself.

Hizzoner's diatribe
at Atkins diet tribe

Julia, Rene & Demi may follow him, but
Mike has different view of weight-loss guru

By DAVID SALTONSTALL
DAILY NEWS CITY HALL BUREAU CHIEF

Mayor Bloomberg puts down the late diet guru while chowing down at Brooklyn firehouse.

Mayor Mike obviously thought the other mike in the room was turned off.
In a rare moment of candor, picked up by a New York 1 News camera, Mayor Bloomberg yesterday described the slip-and-fall death of Dr. Robert Atkins last April as "bull----" - and called the diet guru "fat."

While chowing down on bow-tied pasta and chicken at a Brooklyn firehouse yesterday, Hizzoner opined, "Atkins is dead. I don't believe that bull---- that he dropped dead slipping on a sidewalk. Yeah, right."

"I actually went to his house out in Southampton for a Pataki fund-raiser two years ago," Bloomberg added. "The guy was fat — big guy — but heavy. And the food was inedible. I took one appetizer and I had to spit it into my napkin. It was just terrible."

Atkins, the cardiologist who devised a controversial diet that favors steak and eggs over pasta and other carbohydrates, died at age 72 last year after slipping on the sidewalk outside his E. 55th St. office during a snowstorm.

Bloomberg apparently believed the microphones were turned off yesterday when cameras were let into the dining area of Engine 282, Ladder 148 in Borough Park for what was billed as a photo opportunity.

"It was a joke told at an off-the-record photo op," said Bloomberg spokesman Jordan Barowitz. "We congratulate New York 1 for their willingness to dispense with journalistic ethics in order to run a cheap story."

"The event was on the record," countered New York 1 News Political Director Bob Hardt.

The mayor's comments infuriated Atkins disciples. "We are all baffled and dismayed and would like to believe that this is a joke gone bad," said Dr. Stuart Trager, chairman of the Atkins Physicians Council.

Last edited:

Number 5

Awards
also this from: http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20040118/us_nm/health_atkins_dc_2

NYT: Atkins Advises Dieters to Eat Smaller Steaks
Sun Jan 18, 4:19 PM ET Add U.S. National - Reuters to My Yahoo!

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Promoters of the popular low-carbohydrate, high-fat Atkins diet are saying that people should limit their intake of saturated fat by cutting back on Atkins staples such as meat, cheese and butter, The New York Times reported on Sunday.

Responding to criticism from scientists that Atkins could lead to heart disease and other health problems, the director of research and education for Atkins Nutritionals, Colette Heimowitz, is telling health professionals that only 20 percent of a dieter's calories should come from saturated fat, the paper said.

Beef, pork, lamb and butter were on the list of "foods you may eat liberally" in diet founder Dr. Robert C. Atkins' book "Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution," first published in 1992. Atkins, who died last year, always maintained that people should eat other food besides red meat, but had trouble getting that message out, the paper said.

Sheesh

Awards
  • Established
Few things.

1. The mayor is a total jack-ass. If any other 72 year old man slipped, fell and was knocked into a coma would you expect him to live? Give me a break mayor and shut the **** up. The mayor revoked his words a few days later because of all the bad publicity.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/HEALTH/01/24/atkins.bloomberg.ap/index.html

2. That New York Times article is incorrect. The diet never changed. http://atkins.com/Archive/2004/1/20-407355.html

3. The diet works. Skeptics should get over their lack of willpower to stay on the diet and stop criticizing it.

derekmac

Awards
thanks for the correction. i assumed the new york times was pretty accurate but i guess you can't trust anyone these days...

LMAO

The Times being accurate? Ever hear of David Blair? Not to be an ass, but their objectivity has been in doubt for some time.

Sheesh

Awards
  • Established
LMAO

The Times being accurate? Ever hear of David Blair? Not to be an ass, but their objectivity has been in doubt for some time.
David Blair? Do you mean David Blaine the magician, or Jason Blair the ex-times employee who fabriacated articles? :D

Jag

Jag

Awards
  • Established
i hear so many people knocking the Atkins Diet and but i do agree that it's not for everyone.

for a guy (or girl) who is a huge eater and fits the obese category then i think this is the ideal diet for them. i've seen a guy at my work who has tried EVERYTHING to drop weight and just given up.

he was 150+ kilos last year and i suggested the Atknis Diet to him and he now loves it. he's around 115 kg now and he started the diet last August. his doctor told him to "just keep what your doing" because of his results.

the reason why so many obese people fail on diets is because they are trying to survive on 1500-2000 calories a day because that's what their severely misinformed nutritionist has told them. or the regular womens magazine has said.

anyway, i'm glad it's not a popular diet as i did read that in England the price of eggs has soared because of the popularity of the Atkins Diet. it wouldn't be long before meat, fish & poultry prices rise as well.............if they haven't already.

my 2 cents :D

Jag

Bean

Bean

Ectomorph man
Awards
  • Established
the Atkins commercials are really starting to bug me; everyone seems to have low carb alternatives now... HEY the SKINNY GUY WANTS HIS CARBS!!!

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Man what pisses me off is that he's clowning about a 72 year old man who fell and died. This mayor is obviously ignorant. My grandma slipped, broke her hip, and has not walked since, she's like in her late 80's. She was a very healthy woman and has now developed heart problem and circulation problems from diabetis after she was disabled by her fall.

Moral of the story is fall's are a great concern for elderly and are not funny IMO. They can ruin the life of an elderly person due to the consequences.

The diet works BTW.

Number 5

Awards
okay, here's another article. it says that atkins weighed 258 lbs at the time of his death (at 6 foot) so he was obese. i'm not saying his diet doesn't work, but i thought this would be an interesting o/t read.

Paper: Diet guru Atkins qualified as obese
Tuesday, February 10, 2004 Posted: 11:38 AM EST (1638 GMT)

from: http://www.cnn.com/2004/HEALTH/02/10/atkins.widow.ap/index.html

NEW YORK (AP) -- Dr. Robert Atkins, whose popular diet stresses protein-rich meat and cheese over carbohydrates, weighed 258 pounds at his death and had a history of heart disease, a newspaper reported Tuesday.

Atkins died last April at age 72 after being injured in a fall on an icy street.

Before his death, he had suffered a heart attack, congestive heart failure and hypertension, The Wall Street Journal reported, citing a report by the city medical examiner.

At 258 pounds, the 6-foot-tall Atkins would have qualified as obese, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's body-mass index calculator.

Diet is one potential factor in heart disease, but infections also can contribute to it.

Stuart Trager, chairman of the Atkins Physicians Council in New York, told the Journal that Atkins' heart disease stemmed from cardiomyopathy, a condition thought to result from a viral infection.

Trager said the weight was added between his accident and his death, and in fact Atkins weighed less than 200 pounds at the time he was injured.

"During his coma, as he deteriorated and his major organs failed, fluid retention and bloating dramatically distorted his body and left him at 258 pounds at the time of his death, a documented weight gain of over 60 pounds," the doctor said in a written statement. "How and why the Journal reported that he was obese, remains the only unanswered question in this pathetic situation."

Atkins widow outraged
The medical examiner's report was given to the Journal by the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine, a group that advocates vegetarianism. The medical examiner's office told the Journal that the report had been sent to the group in error.

Ellen Borakove, spokeswoman for the New York City office of the chief medical examiner, said the records would not be released to anyone else, but they clearly indicate that Atkins died from the head injury.

The diet guru's widow, Veronica Atkins, was outraged that the report had been made public and called those who gave the medical examiner's report to the newspaper "extremists."

"I have been assured by my husband's physicians that my husband's health problems late in life were completely unrelated to his diet or any diet," she told the Journal.

Last month, Veronica Atkins demanded an apology from Mayor Michael Bloomberg after Bloomberg called her late husband "fat."

In April 2002, Atkins issued a statement saying he was recovering from cardiac arrest related to a heart infection he had suffered from "for a few years." He said it was "in no way related to diet."

tatortodd

Awards
  • Established
"During his coma, as he deteriorated and his major organs failed, fluid retention and bloating dramatically distorted his body and left him at 258 pounds at the time of his death, a documented weight gain of over 60 pounds," the doctor said in a written statement. "How and why the Journal reported that he was obese, remains the only unanswered question in this pathetic situation."
I saw an interview with Neil Cavuto (sp?) on the Fox News channel the other day and he grilled an anti-Atkins activist pretty good who was spouting this Atkins was fat stuff. Apparently, when he was admitted to the hospital after his slip and fall he was 195 lbs, and by the time he died and was autopsied was 60+ lbs heavier.

I've had the unpleasant experience of watching a family member's internal organs shutdown while hospitalized. Needless to say the person's appearance changed drastically (severe bloat from kidney failure) over the course of the days leading up to death, and I'm certain there was a significant body weight change.

~Todd

size

Awards
  • Established
NY Times is biased. This fat idea is being pushed by organizations that are anti-atkins, such as vegans, vegetarians, etc.

Number 5

Awards
Apparently, when he was admitted to the hospital after his slip and fall he was 195 lbs, and by the time he died and was autopsied was 60+ lbs heavier.
so basically they pumped 60 lbs of fluids into his body while he was dying and didn't drain? that must suck, no wonder he didn't make it.

zloy

Awards
I do not get it...He is measured 60 pounds heavier after his death where did all this matter came from?

hamper19

hamper19

The True Warrior is one who conquers oneself
Awards
  • Established
I think he forgot PCT..

h19