At what point does one start updating the resume?

Gtarzan81

Gtarzan81

Awards
  • Established
Today might be the proverbial straw that broke the camels back. I've been with a supplement store in an assistant manager position for nearly the past year. I've done well, and the district manager a few months back said they want me as a store manager. Fine and dandy, right?

Two new stores in the district opened, and I was passed over for both. One store I understand, as the logistics would not have worked, and the guy who got the store was there already. The other store is close by, and new. I compare as well as the guy who did get the store. Let's also keep in mind I do have an undergrad degree, which is nice, but not required for a SM position.

There has been very little clarity on the whole process, as far as when anything is going to happen, just this vague "we want you to manage a store for us."

A category manager position at HQ has been open for an area that I'm knowledgable in, and I've done a little of that type of thing before. Granted it was for a start up, rather than a decent sized company. Last week, I talk to my district manager about it, and he asks me if I was willing to move, and I said "yes." He told me to get him an updated copy of my resume.

Forward to today. The DM has talked to the regional manager, and he says to me " We take candidates for that from store managers, so just continue on the current track your on.":jaw:

So, I'm not happy about this in the least, but at the time I dont respond at all, and later talk to my boss about it.

Bottom line is am I just being unreasonable and antsy, or is it time to go shopping the resume(newly updated I might add) despite the lovely economy?

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
It's retail chief, they'll do as little as they can for you and still keep you there as an employee.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Give em an ultimatum.
Probably not the best idea in the current economy. If you don't want to do this for me, there is someone who's been unemployed long enough that will...for less.

Gtarzan81

Gtarzan81

Awards
  • Established
I might just file this incident away in the back of my mind, and wait 'till they make me a store manager. After a bit, THEN I jump ship and find a real job? Ideas anyone?.......... Buhler?

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
i would get the DM to clarify on why you were passed up for the manager position before making a decision.

Delta Force

Delta Force

PES Rep
Awards
  • Established
you should update your resume every 6-12 months and add all new responsibilities and accomplishments you have done in that period so that you dont forget to write them down, you can always remove them as more important accomplishments get added.
its much easier to update your resume often verses trying to get all in at one shot. Good luck getting that store manager position!

Gtarzan81

Gtarzan81

Awards
  • Established
i would get the DM to clarify on why you were passed up for the manager position before making a decision.
This is what I talked to my boss about today. I may have some clarity on it early next week, but I'm not holding my breath.:frustrate

P.S. I did update the resume over the weekend to reflect what I've done in the past year.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
wait for a week, then start sending your resume's out there :)