BIG ARMS are cool...How did you get them? - AnabolicMinds.com - Page 4

Poll: HOW DID YOU GET YOUR BIG ARMS?

BIG ARMS are cool...How did you get them?

Page 4 of 5 First ... 2345 Last
  1. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

i have tried it all......including deadlifts and squats........

the only time my arms got bigger was when i was on......

I may need a special program suited for my slackin ass arms.

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'6"   lbs.

I have an arm size issue too, no matter how hard I try, the third one always seems like it could be bigger, even though it's huge and my gf says if it got any bigger she'd be afraid of it.
  3. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwanderer View Post
    I have an arm size issue too, no matter how hard I try, the third one always seems like it could be bigger, even though it's huge and my gf says if it got any bigger she'd be afraid of it.
    wheres my wuby,

sounds like story time again........lol
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by pudzian2 View Post
    hahahah nice!.

situation:

so your chillin somewhere and theres this hot girl. she is instincutally turned on my your alpha-male-ness and you just wanna release some of your 1000mg per week of injected testosterone. so you figure its best to ask her to lunch first. to us there is no lunch. its like, hey....wanna hook up for some meal 3 today? and then she goes and hooks up with the skinny starbucks drinking tight ass abercrombie ***got wearing perfume.
    LMFAO! Damn *grabs sides in pain* I laughed so hard at this post that I almost ended up with coffee all over my desk and computer...oh man, that's funny.

"What do you want for dinner honey?"

"Dinner? What's that? I'm on meal 5 right now, make me some steak and sweet potatoes!"

*picks up weights and starts screaming like a wild man*
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  256 lbs.

hit the tris hard - i mean hard. then make sure you are getting a balance between inner and outer bicep by using both wide and close grip curls. i'm not one for concentrated curls - i try to hit the whole muscle from different angles.

start your reps clean always and only cheat if you have to near the end of the set. but when i say cheat - only enough so that you can control the weight.

and lastly - i do both bi's and tri's together on arm days. i don't break each with another body part. seems to work great for me.
  6. Advanced Member

if anyone has not tried doing tri - bis supersets then go for it. It is probably the best way to get your arms to grow.
  7. New Member

My arms used to be one of my weaker body parts, but I have been able to bring them up quite a bit. I change my arm routine about every other workout ( I do both bis and tris on the same day), switching between different types of concentration curls, and mass movements.

But i think the one thing that really made my arms grow was at the end of each workout I would do about 4-5 sets with high rep, low weight. The goal is to get the biggest pump possible at the end of the workout. I would do something like preacher curls with about 15-20 reps each set (or to failure, sometimes I would get as high as 25 reps). Then for my tris I would do over head cable extensions, same # of reps and sets. It felt awesome, and i think really helped my arms grow to be one of my better body parts now.
  8. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'5"  225 lbs.

For mass gains in any muscle group: heavy weight-less reps. Also don't forget that your muscles grow when you rest, not when you push for that last set in a 2 hour arm workout, that's when definition is developed. give your bi's and tri's 3-4 days off after a day of heavy weight, and don't do both muscle groups on the same day. Bi's and hammies on tues, bi's and back on fri. tri's and chest on mon. tri's and quad's on thurs. for example.
  9. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  178 lbs.

Forget about how heavy you lift to get big arms. Train them once per week and do sets of 10-12 reps. Make them burn. Vary the exercises every week too.
  10. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'5"  225 lbs.

THE LONG HEAD OF THE TRICEPS AND THE PEAK OF THE BICEPS ARE COMPOSED OF FAST TWITCH MUSCLE FIBERS, THESE ARE THE PRIMARY "SIZE" MUSCLE GROUPS OF THESE AREAS.

Everyone who's familiar with fiber type training knows that fast-twitch muscle fibers require heavy weight and low reps. What a lot of trainees fail to do, however, is employ multiple sets of these low reps. Two to three sets of 4-6 reps just doesn't incur much growth, but the next ten sets of 4-6 reps sure does the trick.

Also, a protein shake of at least 35 grams of protein needs to be consumed within 30 minutes of a workout. diet is of the utmost importance in strength training, 2 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight per day is needed for big muscle gains. sorry bout the capital letters, I wasn't trying to make a bold statement, my caps lock was on and I dont look at the screen when i type cause I suck at typing, but not at giving advice, thank you.
  11. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  255 lbs.

Guys, the truest thing I ve ever heard and put into practice, is that if you want arm growth pick up heavy stuff- plain and simple.
    You certainly always see the the guy who does nothing but curls and has no arm growth.....
  12. Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by timmmah View Post
    For mass gains in any muscle group: heavy weight-less reps. Also don't forget that your muscles grow when you rest, not when you push for that last set in a 2 hour arm workout, that's when definition is developed. give your bi's and tri's 3-4 days off after a day of heavy weight, and don't do both muscle groups on the same day. Bi's and hammies on tues, bi's and back on fri. tri's and chest on mon. tri's and quad's on thurs. for example.
    Timmah, don't ever talk like you are 100% sure about anything, because no one is. My arms blew up doing the exact opposite of what you have said. Everyone has there own opinion and everyone reacts vastly different to forms of exercise.

For example, that split you mentioned would not work for me at all, I have tried something similar. For my neighbor it may do wonders.
  13. Advanced Member

THE LONG HEAD OF THE TRICEPS AND THE PEAK OF THE BICEPS ARE COMPOSED OF FAST TWITCH MUSCLE FIBERS, THESE ARE THE PRIMARY "SIZE" MUSCLE GROUPS OF THESE AREAS.

Everyone who's familiar with fiber type training knows that fast-twitch muscle fibers require heavy weight and low reps. What a lot of trainees fail to do, however, is employ multiple sets of these low reps. Two to three sets of 4-6 reps just doesn't incur much growth, but the next ten sets of 4-6 reps sure does the trick.

Also, a protein shake of at least 35 grams of protein needs to be consumed within 30 minutes of a workout. diet is of the utmost importance in strength training, 2 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight per day is needed for big muscle gains. sorry bout the capital letters, I wasn't trying to make a bold statement, my caps lock was on and I dont look at the screen when i type cause I suck at typing, but not at giving advice, thank you.

again 2g of protein per lb is not needed... it is what ppl think they need. Need and bodybuilding should never be in the same sentence. I am not trying to cut you down here its just you come off as if what you say is written in stone.
  14. Banned

I don't know if this was mentioned before but, I have always wanted bigger arms (we all do) and I have tried it ALL over the course of the last ten years of training. I wont go into great detail about different training principles cause I'm sure ( I hope) we're all fairly versed in these things.
    What I will say is this: variety is absolutely necessary to force continued progress in training any muscle but especially the upper arm.
    With that said I have never had problems "growing" my arms using that simple principal. Most routines will work unless it's just some outlandish program so try them ALL to see what works best for you individually. I will ad that the two best mass building movements for arms "for me" have been weighted close hand pull-ups for bi's and for tri's weighted dips or close grip bench.
    I also have enjoyed good growth using the "heavy/light" method in my arm training for cycles of 4-6weeks. The title is pretty self explanatory but I'll give a brief overview here. First move would be along the lines of Barbell curls at 85%1 repp max performed for 6-8 repps and 4 sets followed by something like dumbbell supps at 70%1repp max performed for 15repps at 4 sets. Then another Heavy set this one (I usually have to go a little lighter than 85% because by now fatigue starts to set in) for 3 sets and another light exercise for 3 sets. Results garanted
  15. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'5"  225 lbs.

I totally agree with you brother, keep the muscles guessing. My earlier statements aren't my opinion either, it's a matter of science for the best muscle growth. kinda like growing plants, mold or animals: there is always one recipe that proves results, the one that is looked up to in the highest regard; and more than likely, that one is derived from extensive research. I didn't mean to come off as if what I said was written in stone, but it is however, typed on the pages of textbooks
  16. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  175 lbs.

I totally agree with you brother, keep the muscles guessing. My earlier statements aren't my opinion either, it's a matter of science for the best muscle growth. kinda like growing plants, mold or animals: there is always one recipe that proves results, the one that is looked up to in the highest regard; and more than likely, that one is derived from extensive research. I didn't mean to come off as if what I said was written in stone, but it is however, typed on the pages of textbooks
    I dunno bro, Markus Ruhl and Branch Warren both disagree with your statement.

In an MD article they both agreed that for optimal arm growth one should hit the high rep ranges. Leave the ego at the door, lower reps are more so for strength.

It's worked for me, but to each his own.
  17. Elite Member

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Remember that triceps are two thirds (2/3) of your arm.
  18. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Condition1 View Post

In an MD article they both agreed that for optimal arm growth one should hit the high rep ranges. Leave the ego at the door, lower reps are more so for strength.

While certain muscles are known for being higher in a certain type of muscle fiber composition, genetic variability can breed the opposite. This actually allows everyone to be right.

High reps never did anything for my arms. Heavy weights in the 4-6 range made my arms explode. My arms actually went from 13" to 20" over the course of about 3 years using only this range. BUT, that just means my muscle fiber composition is opposite of yours.

Lesson learned? Know your body and what works for you!
  19. Advanced Member

Well then if its typed in text books then it MUST be right...bro don't be so naive. If there was a guaranteed recipe for building muscle that was proven then why the **** would we even be on this body building forum.

I can use my self as an example. I have many routines out there, really I have. GVT, DC, Max-OT, HIT... and it keeps going.
    When I say try I actually mean I gave it a solid 8 weeks of effort with a great diet. My conclusion is that different muscle require vastly different training regiments. My arms grow from high reps with relatively low weight, my calves need to be destroyed for an hour straight to get them to grow(GVT). My back needs very heavy weight with low reps range(max-ot). I train my chest and shoulders with drop sets and super sets. My quads are trained using HIT principles.

I am not disputing science, but every individual is unique and if there was indisputable evidence that a certain diet/routine would produce optimal results then the body building industry (ie. magazines and supps) would not be the multi billion dollar business it is today.

There are many facts that science has proven, but how each of us achieve those proven facts is whats makes us unique. This principle applies to a wide variety of things in society. How redundant would life be if we knew everything?
  20. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'5"  225 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelEntity View Post
    Well then if its typed in text books then it MUST be right...bro don't be so naive. If there was a guaranteed recipe for building muscle that was proven then why the **** would we even be on this body building forum.

I can use my self as an example. I have many routines out there, really I have. GVT, DC, Max-OT, HIT... and it keeps going.
    When I say try I actually mean I gave it a solid 8 weeks of effort with a great diet. My conclusion is that different muscle require vastly different training regiments. My arms grow from high reps with relatively low weight, my calves need to be destroyed for an hour straight to get them to grow(GVT). My back needs very heavy weight with low reps range(max-ot). I train my chest and shoulders with drop sets and super sets. My quads are trained using HIT principles.

I am not disputing science, but every individual is unique and if there was indisputable evidence that a certain diet/routine would produce optimal results then the body building industry (ie. magazines and supps) would not be the multi billion dollar business it is today.

There are many facts that science has proven, but how each of us achieve those proven facts is whats makes us unique. This principle applies to a wide variety of things in society. How redundant would life be if we knew everything?
    Touche' my freind, Touche'
  21. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Thixotrope View Post
    While certain muscles are known for being higher in a certain type of muscle fiber composition, genetic variability can breed the opposite. This actually allows everyone to be right.

High reps never did anything for my arms. Heavy weights in the 4-6 range made my arms explode. My arms actually went from 13" to 20" over the course of about 3 years using only this range. BUT, that just means my muscle fiber composition is opposite of yours.

Lesson learned? Know your body and what works for you!

fwiw, i am trying this method now. I will stick to it for awhile.
  22. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'3"  255 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Condition1 View Post

You do know they do not write thier own articles.
  23. Banned
    Stats
    5'9"  226 lbs.

I have a complete lack of tricept muscles... zero...

I did 100lb dumbells for 12 reps today on incline bench but don't have a lick of tricept muscle... **** compound movements working!
  24. Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by justreading View Post
    I have a complete lack of tricept muscles... zero...

I did 100lb dumbells for 12 reps today on incline bench but don't have a lick of tricept muscle... **** compound movements working!
    You probably have a nice chest though right? You have most likely just naturally taken your triceps out of most pressing movements. I know it is hard to think that is possible, and they must be getting some stimulation but not to the extent needed for them to grow.

You need to leave your ego at the door and focus on feeling your tricep every step of the way through the movement and really squeezing the **** out of them at the negative point. Do pushdowns and just contract the muscle for a good 2-3 at the end of the movement, just really feel it. My arms did not grow until I put this into practice. Bent over rowing 275lbs for 10 reps and weighted chins did not make my biceps grow. But preachers with moderate weight and really focusing on squeezing the muscle got them growing.

Body building is just ****ed man, really all i can say. But yet I love it.
  25. Senior Member

....Also, a protein shake of at least 35 grams of protein needs to be consumed within 30 minutes of a workout.
    No not really. Switch to whole foods and you will see. You don't NEED a protein shake PWO.

2 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight per day is needed for big muscle gains.
    No not really. In fact if you have a decent amount of fats in your diet you can grow on half of that...

...irregardless 2g/lb of protein is not NEEDED for big muscle gains.

... I suck at typing, but not at giving advice, thank you.
    I'll be the judge of that...yep you kinda suck at both.

It was a joke bro.
  26. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  191 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

My tri's dwarf every other muscle in my upper body. Finishing on any pressing movement is not an issue for me to say the least. When I straighten my arms out and make a "T" shape with my body, my tricep dip is about as pronounced as my bicep peak, maybe a little more.

In fact I can close grip bench about as much as I can regular bench.

I think its from high school football weight training. For myself it seems low-volume heavy weights is best for my growth and thats what we did all the time. We also benched with a very narrow grip, more emphasis on triceps.

With that said my chest is very under developed with the rest of my body. My bi's are also not on par with my tri's, stupid me has ignored that fact that my tri's grow well with heavy weight low reps and have been doing everything under the sun for bi's until late and it seems to be working very well.

Big arms=heavy weight & low-volume (for me )
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
  27. Advanced Member

yeah timmmah, you really dont NEED 2g of protein/lbs of body weight, but if you have no problem in doing that then go for it. But really, a lot of pro bbers dont even take in 2g/lb of bw.
    i go for 1.25-1.5
  28. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'5"  225 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by datBtrue View Post
    No not really. Switch to whole foods and you will see. You don't NEED a protein shake PWO.

No not really. In fact if you have a decent amount of fats in your diet you can grow on half of that...

...irregardless 2g/lb of protein is not NEEDED for big muscle gains.

I'll be the judge of that...yep you kinda suck at both.

It was a joke bro.

Quote Originally Posted by madds87 View Post
    Im not to fond of taking serm's for long periods of time....
  29. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'5"  225 lbs.

yeah timmmah, you really dont NEED 2g of protein/lbs of body weight, but if you have no problem in doing that then go for it. But really, a lot of pro bbers dont even take in 2g/lb of bw.
    i go for 1.25-1.5
    Yeah, you said that in may, when I posted it, thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by madds87 View Post
    Im not to fond of taking serm's for long periods of time....
  30. Advanced Member

Yeah, you said that in may, when I posted it, thanks.
    Jay edit: Leave the insults out...
  31. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'11"  183 lbs.

I rarely seem to do biceps. I do tris on my chest days. When i do a day of biceps and hit them hard they just seem to explode in size for the next day or so. Where as when i don't do them my gf tells me they look a lot smaller

i seem to be getting a few stretch marks on my left bicep. So i don't think i'll be hitting my bis hard till i get my Java lather soap

Also, when i do my biceps i'd do them once a week and no more.
    “We are what we repeatedly do. Therefore, excellence is not an act, but a habit.”
  32. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  189 lbs.

I think the biggest thing that helped me was supersetting for 4 weeks then cutting back to single and compound exerices. Basically doing just a bicep (supersetting) and tricep day then switching 4 weeks in to doin back and biceps basically compound and single movements.
  33. Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chub View Post
    I rarely seem to do biceps. I do tris on my chest days. When i do a day of biceps and hit them hard they just seem to explode in size for the next day or so. Where as when i don't do them my gf tells me they look a lot smaller

i seem to be getting a few stretch marks on my left bicep. So i don't think i'll be hitting my bis hard till i get my Java lather soap

Also, when i do my biceps i'd do them once a week and no more.
    java soap didnt do a damn thing for me.
  34. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'11"  183 lbs.

java soap didnt do a damn thing for me.
    I was going to buy the flawless cream stuff aswell but it was out of stock My gf has some oil stuff she used to use and said it worked well for scaring and stretch marks so i might give that a try along with the java soap. really don't want to get anymore stretch marks!
    “We are what we repeatedly do. Therefore, excellence is not an act, but a habit.”
  35. Advanced Member

Yeah get Bio Oil, its like $14 at shoppers and its working a little for me so far. I read some article on it and it is suppose to be a "break through" for reducing scars. My buddy works at shoppers and many pregnant women say great things about it and it is constantly out of stock which is a good thing. The java soap bars... the big one may last 2 weeks max... they dissolve quickly and are expensive.
  36. Banned
    Stats
    5'9"  226 lbs.

those drag curls are legit! i almost think i might have an arm muscle ha
  37. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  203 lbs.

I have tried a pretty intense arms program, and it felt like my arms were going to explode...here it is.

all exercises: 4 sets of 8 - 12

Straight Bar Curls supersetted w/ Laying Triceps extension
    Dumbbell Hammers w/ Cable Tri Pushdowns
    Seated Incline DB curls w/ Kneeling Cable Extension
    Concentration Curls w/ 1 Hand DB Overhead Tri Extension

I got really good results with it, and i'd definitely recommend it to anyone looking to change up their routine for 3 - 4 weeks and wants bigger arms

when i did this, i was taking NO Explode, so that may account for some of the size gains, but regardless, with or without supps, this is a solid workoout
  38. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by pudzian2 View Post
    SO....who doesnt want big arms?

how did you get yours?

-infrequent training
    -more frequent training
    -how many sets per bi's or tri's
    -what other muscles do you train them with vs. training them together
    -training intensity
    -volume
    -weight (heavy or lighter)
    C) genetics

I used to not even train em directly to let the rest of my body catch up and still had guys askin what I did to get em so big.... now its about getting them both symmetrical... rights bout 1/2 inch bigger...
  39. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by poopypants View Post
    C) genetics

I used to not even train em directly to let the rest of my body catch up and still had guys askin what I did to get em so big.... now its about getting them both symmetrical... rights bout 1/2 inch bigger...
    bastard
  40. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  164 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by poopypants View Post
    C) genetics

Same here. It looks very bad. My right arm is more vascular, stronger, and bigger than my left by a long shot.

What are you doing to work on symmetry?
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. How did you get on with Anabolic designs shredabull?
    By Icemansoldier in forum Supplements
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-04-2010, 06:13 PM
  2. how far did you get naturally
    By UnrealMachine in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 07-10-2010, 11:33 AM
  3. How did you guys get more test from your doctors?
    By LiveNDie in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-04-2010, 05:12 PM
  4. How did you get on with universal storm?
    By Icemansoldier in forum Supplements
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-31-2009, 10:33 AM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-08-2003, 01:48 PM