Poll: HOW DID YOU GET YOUR BIG ARMS?

BIG ARMS are cool...How did you get them?

Page 3 of 5 First 12345 Last
  1. Registered User

Get strong. Heavy bench work, heavy lockout work. Triceps are such a huge part of the arm and neglected often by those that maintain they aren't powerlifters/etc. Everyone needs bigger triceps, it's the right thing to do. Mine are about 19-1/4" cold and relaxed.

2. Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Chance1253 View Post
    Get strong. Heavy bench work, heavy lockout work. Triceps are such a huge part of the arm and neglected often by those that maintain they aren't powerlifters/etc. Everyone needs bigger triceps, it's the right thing to do. Mine are about 19-1/4" cold and relaxed.
    nice bro. yea bigger tri's make the arm so much bigger than trying to focus on growing biceps. Plus you are right. I've starting doing alot more compound work like deads, squats, (cant flat bench becuase it doesnt get along with my joints), but shrugs, incline bench etc. I've noticed its the best way to get strong as ****, and to build overall mass. I mean thats the only way the arms will grow. Its good to isolate them a bit to, but you cant get them to grow disproportionately to the rest of your body by isolating them.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  176 lbs.

Blast Your Brachialis For Arm Mass
    Bob Myhal
    The brachialis is an upper arm muscle that runs from humerus to the ulna . . . the majority of the brachialis is therefore under the biceps. This is significant because intelligent training and the subsequent growth of the brachialis will not only add mass to the arms, but also will actually push the biceps peak higher.

This isn’t to say that just training the brachialis will result in the big guns you’re looking for, as some would have you believe. As usual, the truth is a bit more complex than that.

You see, the brachialis is a relatively small muscle. The biceps is certainly bigger; therefore, in some respects it’s the overall shape and size of the biceps themselves that gives you that awesome front upper arm look that most everyone in the gym is after.

Some of this has to do with intelligent training and not overtraining (which is easy to do with arms), some with genetics—certain bodybuilders are just born with the potential to develop the high peak shape of the biceps that most of us are after.

But if you’re neglecting the brachialis in your training, you’re likely not getting nearly the type of arm development you should be.

I like to do some targeted brachialis training either with or immediately following my direct biceps work. I generally alternate between my three favorite brachialis exercises—standing hammer curls; seated, incline hammer curls; and low-pulley hammer curls with the rope—from one upper arm workout to the next.

As you can probably tell, I’m a big fan of hammer curls—I absolutely love the movement, and when performed properly it can add mass and shape to the upper arms like nothing else. Reverse grip curls also hit the brachialis . . . though I tend to feel the bulk of the stress with reverse grip curls in the forearms and usually save them for my forearm training. [Note: Reverse grip curls can put a lot of stress on your wrists, so I don’t suggest them for anyone who’s had a wrist injury or any significant wrist pain].

Here’s some brief detail on the three hammer curl movements that make up the bulk of my brachialis training:

Standing Dumbbell Hammer Curls

I do these a little differently than most to really maximize the stress on the brachialis. In a standing position, grasp moderate weight dumbbells in each hand. Begin with your arms extended down in front of your body, palms facing in towards your thighs. Perform the movement by alternating arms. Curl your right arm up across your body. Keep your palm facing your body at all times. At the top of the motion your right arm should be directly in front of your left shoulder (for added emphasis, you can supinate your wrist by turning your palm up towards the ceiling in the top position). Now lower your right arm slowly to the starting position and perform the movement with your left arm.

I generally work in the 6-10 rep range for each arm, and I prefer to use moderate weights on this exercise and really do the movement slowly, concentrating on form throughout.

Seated, Incline Hammer Curls

Sit on an incline bench with about a 45° angle with dumbbells in each arm and arms fully extended at the side. Keep your palms facing in towards the bench. Make sure you keep your upper arms as still as possible while you curl the dumbbells straight up. Your wrists should remain locked in position with the palms facing in towards each other. Remember, this is not your standard dumbbell curl where you actually want to supinate the wrists extensively—keep your palms locked in the hammer position here.

This movement can be done by alternating arms—as with standing hammer curls—but with the seated, incline version I prefer to work both arms simultaneously in a nice, steady rhythm.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Hank Vangut View Post
    Blast Your Brachialis For Arm Mass
    Bob Myhal
    That's a good read.

I like to train back and forearms... ie EZ reverse curls and DB hammers (elbow flexion exercises where biceps is less of a focus)

then I have a seperate day for lats and bis... ie BB curls and incline OR preacher curls.
  5. Registered User

Wink

I do the classic tri's with chest and bi's with back but throw in an arm day. for the bi's i do 2-4 lifts depending on how the tendons feel. 1-2 high rep low wieght after 1-2 low rep high wieght.

for low rep/high wieght:
    flat bar curls 3 sets 8 reps
    hammer curls 3 sets 6 reps

for high rep/low wieght:
    cable curls (using pull down rope) 4 sets 15 reps then til failure on the last set

concentration curls (with dumbbell) 4 sets 12 reps or failure

i'm not that good of testiment to size seeing as how i started college at 6'1'' 155lb and am now only 200lbs 4 years later but my arms are right at 17" where i seem to be stuck. hopefully the superdrol i'm on now helps that tho
  6. Registered User

Thumbs up Vince Gironda Drag Curl

Vince Gironda Drag Curl

7. Registered User

I don't see the benefit of that style, I imagine it involves more forearm work.
  8. Registered User

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by SteelEntity View Post
    I don't see the benefit of that style, I imagine it involves more forearm work.
    If you do them palms down it hits the forearm.

The benefit is that all of the work is done by the bicep proper. The shoulders (which to some extent come into play on normal curls no matter how strict you make the movement) are not activated and at the top of the movement at the contraction the biceps are under stress because the elbows remain back (again unlike normal curls).

The reason you don't see more people doing them is that you must use a bit less weight then traditional curls. Also the negative portion should be sloooow which really fatigues those biceps...most guys don't like the pain.

It is difficult to visualize what a great exercise this is until you have tried them...then you understand.

I posted this because I was thinking back to a time many years ago when my biceps where stalled at just under 18 inches and I made no progress no matter what I did despite the fact that I was making great gains everywhere else. It was very frustrating...in fact my triceps where growing so my biceps must have actually been shrinking!

Fortunately I discovered Vince Gironda and tried out both his "perfect curl" and the "drag curl" and man did they work, especially the drag curl. My biceps began to grow again and thanks to Vince they hit 19 inches (no cheat just flexed and measured straight around) w/ single digit bodyfat!
  9. Banned

i once say a youtube video of charles glass training big gunter schlierkamp prior to a show. He had G lay chest down on an incline bench with arms hanging. He would then hold on to a bar (EZ or straight) and curl with the arms hanging down like that. I have tried it. It requires using much less weight, but its ALL BICEP.
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"   lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by datBtrue View Post
    If you do them palms down it hits the forearm.

The benefit is that all of the work is done by the bicep proper. The shoulders (which to some extent come into play on normal curls no matter how strict you make the movement) are not activated and at the top of the movement at the contraction the biceps are under stress because the elbows remain back (again unlike normal curls).

The reason you don't see more people doing them is that you must use a bit less weight then traditional curls. Also the negative portion should be sloooow which really fatigues those biceps...most guys don't like the pain.

It is difficult to visualize what a great exercise this is until you have tried them...then you understand.

I posted this because I was thinking back to a time many years ago when my biceps where stalled at just under 18 inches and I made no progress no matter what I did despite the fact that I was making great gains everywhere else. It was very frustrating...in fact my triceps where growing so my biceps must have actually been shrinking!

Fortunately I discovered Vince Gironda and tried out both his "perfect curl" and the "drag curl" and man did they work, especially the drag curl. My biceps began to grow again and thanks to Vince they hit 19 inches (no cheat just flexed and measured straight around) w/ single digit bodyfat!
    I love Gironda's stuff. He had some wacky ideas, but damn if it doesn't work. He was ahead of his time and was the 'go to' guy for lots of people.
  11. Registered User

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Xodus View Post
    I love Gironda's stuff. He had some wacky ideas, but damn if it doesn't work. He was ahead of his time and was the 'go to' guy for lots of people.
    Even his diet built muscle..."eat eggs your body needs the cholesterol to build muscle" he'd preach throughout the 60's, 70's, 80's...

Today studies show he was spot on:

Researchers out of Kent State University investigated the effects of a high (2.6mg/lb) and low (1.6mg/lb) cholesterol diet during a 12 week weight-training program. After 12 weeks the subjects consuming the higher cholesterol diet increased muscle mass by an average of about 5 pounds and increased strength by almost 90 percent, while the lower cholestrol group did not show any increases in muscle mass and gained only about 35 percent in strength. - from: Riechman SE, Dietary and Blood Cholesterol and Statins Increase Hypertrophy with Resistance Training, FASEB Journal 2005 19 A1571
  12. Banned

Even his diet built muscle..."eat eggs your body needs the cholesterol to build muscle" he'd preach throughout the 60's, 70's, 80's...

Researchers out of Kent State University investigated the effects of a high (2.6mg/lb) and low (1.6mg/lb) cholesterol diet during a 12 week weight-training program. After 12 weeks the subjects consuming the higher cholesterol diet increased muscle mass by an average of about 5 pounds and increased strength by almost 90 percent, while the lower cholestrol group did not show any increases in muscle mass and gained only about 35 percent in strength. - from: Riechman SE, Dietary and Blood Cholesterol and Statins Increase Hypertrophy with Resistance Training, FASEB Journal 2005 19 A1571
    very interesting... steak and eggs baby!
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"   lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by pudzian2 View Post
    very interesting... steak and eggs baby!
    Hell yeah. I always love the looks you get when you order a hamburger steak and 8-10 fried eggs.

There was a time when I was eating over a dozen eggs a day for WEEKS at a time.
  14. Registered User

Hell yeah. I always love the looks you get when you order a hamburger steak and 8-10 fried eggs.

There was a time when I was eating over a dozen eggs a day for WEEKS at a time.
    Eggs are cheap so I eat lots of em to. Usually 8 a day.

Getting back to arms. Doing reverse grip tricep push downs using a flat bar has added some really nice definition to my arms. It's a good idea to wrap your wrists while doing them though since it is kind of awkward.
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

That's disgusting
    NSCA - CSCS
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by pudzian2 View Post
    SO....who doesnt want big arms?

how did you get yours?

-infrequent training
    -more frequent training
    -how many sets per bi's or tri's
    -what other muscles do you train them with vs. training them together
    -training intensity
    -volume
    -weight (heavy or lighter)
    When I first started it was high volume (15+ sets) and I worked bi's with back and tri's with chest.

I made decent gains then plateau'd

My arms EXPLODED when I started supersetting bi's and tri's.

My workout:

Preacher curls
    Superset<
    (3 sets each) Close grip bench

Alternate curls
    Superset<
    (3 sets each) Overhead 2 hand DB tri xtn

Concentration curls
    Superset<
    (3 sets each) Tricep pushdown (one or two handed)

For biceps, if I could get MORE than 6 reps on the last set of any given excercise...it's too light. Raise weights next workout. Concentration curls you can go a little higher...perhaps 8-12 reps. Make sure you squeeze the $H!t out of each rep though.

For triceps if you can get more than 10 reps on the first two exercises its too light. For pushdowns I like to do no more than 15 but no less than 10-12. For the one handed version I like alternating each rep protonated and supinated grip. That'll give you a pump you wouldn't believe.

Notice total volumes:

Biceps-9 total sets per week
    Triceps-9 total sets per week

Sets are taken to extreme failure since volume is low. Trust me, if you think its too heavy you're probably being a wuss. I actually used to get nauseous doing this. As the weight is very heavy use good form and listen to your body because elbows aren't known for being the most stable joint in the human body.

I went from 13" arms to 19" arms in about 2 years doing this routine (all natural I might add).

All this being said, diet is important as well as recovery but you probably already knew that.

Happy training!
  17. Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Thixotrope View Post
    When I first started it was high volume (15+ sets) and I worked bi's with back and tri's with chest.

My workout:

Preacher curls
    Superset<

Alternate curls
    Superset<

Concentration curls
    Superset<

For biceps, if I could get MORE than 6 reps on the last set of any given excercise...it's too light. Raise weights next workout. Concentration curls you can go a little higher...perhaps 8-12 reps. Make sure you squeeze the $H!t out of each rep though.

For triceps if you can get more than 10 reps on the first two exercises its too light. For pushdowns I like to do no more than 15 but no less than 10-12. For the one handed version I like alternating each rep protonated and supinated grip. That'll give you a pump you wouldn't believe.

Notice total volumes:

Sets are taken to extreme failure since volume is low. Trust me, if you think its too heavy you're probably being a wuss. I actually used to get nauseous doing this. As the weight is very heavy use good form and listen to your body because elbows aren't known for being the most stable joint in the human body.

I went from 13" arms to 19" arms in about 2 years doing this routine (all natural I might add).

All this being said, diet is important as well as recovery but you probably already knew that.

Happy training!
    supersets are definitely where it's at for arms
  18. -Dalla Hunga-
    Somewhere between a 4x12 stack and a power rack...

Spider curls are great for really nailing the biceps...kicked me out of a really PITA plateau
  19. Registered User

At my biggest, my arms were about 21". It's surely genetics but I trained infrequently and most of my mass came from (believe it or not) concentration curls. So, yes - I'm more than likely just genetically lucky.. I don't do ANY barbell curls (due to injury). These days, I do more alternating dumbell curls than anything.
  20. Registered User

well I have 19 1/2 arms and I have to say that I train arms like twice a week lots of super sets and negatives.
  21. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.

Did HST for 8 weeks, never trained them directly and the really, REALLY filled out.
  22. Registered User

yeah doing hammer preachers really gave me a nice a peak.
  23. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

I cant vote... my choice is genetics

My arms are my least worked body part and still stand out more then anything else....
  24. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by poopypants View Post

My arms are my least worked body part and still stand out more then anything else....
    x2.
  25. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by poopypants View Post

Maybe you over work everything else :P
  26. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelEntity View Post
    Maybe you over work everything else :P
    no always had good sized well defined peaks on my arms that have continued to stay ahead of everything else. I def dont over work others, cause I still make good gains for them in strength and size.... its just a matter of genetics... used to be annoying till everything else started to catch up, not so bad now.
  27. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Thixotrope View Post

My workout:

Preacher curls
    Superset<

Alternate curls
    Superset<

Concentration curls
    Superset<

Notice total volumes:

Happy training!

You do this once or twice a week?
  28. Registered User

Do you have the link to that article? I just wanna read the entire thing, it interests me....
  29. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"   lbs.

My Boy says he can eat 50 eggs...

30. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by tl77 View Post
    You do this once or twice a week?
    Just once
  31. Registered User

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by MakaveliThaDon View Post
    Do you have the link to that article? I just wanna read the entire thing, it interests me....
    Just the abstract...but someone posted a great article Manipulating Dietary Cholesterol for Optimum Muscle Growth by Dharkam, originally posted on Meso which incorporates two of Riechman's studies in the discussion. http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...erol-more.html

Its a good quick read.
  32. Registered User

My Boy says he can eat 50 eggs...

As a prelude to the film's memorable, comic egg-eating contest scene, Dragline bets on his boy Luke: "He can eat busted bottles and rusty nails, any damned thing." Luke boldly wagers that he can eat fifty hard-boiled eggs in one hour. [The number 50 becomes significant - since there are 50 prisoners' souls and 50 eggs, Luke's ingesting of the eggs parallels Christ's taking upon himself the sins of the world and bringing about a rebirth. Eggs, the celebration of Easter, and the resurrection are symbolically tied together.] The men exuberantly bet against him, disbelieving that he can perform the miracle without throwing up: "Fifty eggs gotta weigh a good six pounds...A man's gut can't hold that. They'll swell up and bust him open....They're gonna kill him." Remarkably, Luke takes the challenge - it's raining and the activity will pass the time: "It be somethin' to do." After a period of preparatory training, stretching his stomach's skin to make room for the eggs ("What we gotta do is stretch that little ol' belly of yours. Get all this stuff out of the way. Them eggs are coming down!"), and eating speed tests, Luke is about ready. He sits on his top bunk with a towel draped over his head [another Christ image].

Dragline readies the crowd for the contest: "All right. Stand back you pedestrians, this ain't no automobile accident." As Luke's trainer, he peels the eggs before they are eaten, arguing that Luke doesn't have to peel his own eggs within the hour limit: "When it comes to the law, nothin' is understood...I'm his official egg-peeler. That's the law!" The big event begins with Luke's entrance, the removal of his shirt, and his kneeling down in front of the men who surround a table in front of him. One of the convicts observes how quickly Luke pops each egg in his mouth: "He's gonna lose a finger eatin' eggs like that." After 32 eggs, Luke's bloated stomach bows out: "Just like a ripe watermelon that's about to bust itself open." Some of the men bet against him as Luke anoints his forehead with water. Dragline, with Luke in cahoots with him, encourages everyone to wager everything against Luke: "I wanna hear from some big money men. Where's all the high rollers?" Society Red (J.D. Cannon) replies that everything has been bet: "I believe you've got it all, Dragline. Every cent in camp is riding."

As time is running out, and Luke approaches the elusive goal of 50 eggs, Dragline coaxes him on: "Just nine more between you and everlastin' glory...Just little ol' eggs. They pigeon eggs, that's all." The men mimic his chewing action. Up until the last second, it is uncertain whether he has swallowed the last egg. After his winning victory, Luke is laid out on a table strewn with egg shells. The men quickly forget about him and abandon him after using him for their own amusement. Luke is left alone - from an overhead shot, his arms are outstretched, his legs are crossed at the ankle, his eyes are closed, and his head is tilted toward the left - [a symbolic Christ-like crucifixion pose]. An enigmatic grin crosses his face.
  33. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"   lbs.

As a prelude to the film's memorable, comic egg-eating contest scene, Dragline bets on his boy Luke: "He can eat busted bottles and rusty nails, any damned thing." Luke boldly wagers that he can eat fifty hard-boiled eggs in one hour. [The number 50 becomes significant - since there are 50 prisoners' souls and 50 eggs, Luke's ingesting of the eggs parallels Christ's taking upon himself the sins of the world and bringing about a rebirth. Eggs, the celebration of Easter, and the resurrection are symbolically tied together.] The men exuberantly bet against him, disbelieving that he can perform the miracle without throwing up: "Fifty eggs gotta weigh a good six pounds...A man's gut can't hold that. They'll swell up and bust him open....They're gonna kill him." Remarkably, Luke takes the challenge - it's raining and the activity will pass the time: "It be somethin' to do." After a period of preparatory training, stretching his stomach's skin to make room for the eggs ("What we gotta do is stretch that little ol' belly of yours. Get all this stuff out of the way. Them eggs are coming down!"), and eating speed tests, Luke is about ready. He sits on his top bunk with a towel draped over his head [another Christ image].

Dragline readies the crowd for the contest: "All right. Stand back you pedestrians, this ain't no automobile accident." As Luke's trainer, he peels the eggs before they are eaten, arguing that Luke doesn't have to peel his own eggs within the hour limit: "When it comes to the law, nothin' is understood...I'm his official egg-peeler. That's the law!" The big event begins with Luke's entrance, the removal of his shirt, and his kneeling down in front of the men who surround a table in front of him. One of the convicts observes how quickly Luke pops each egg in his mouth: "He's gonna lose a finger eatin' eggs like that." After 32 eggs, Luke's bloated stomach bows out: "Just like a ripe watermelon that's about to bust itself open." Some of the men bet against him as Luke anoints his forehead with water. Dragline, with Luke in cahoots with him, encourages everyone to wager everything against Luke: "I wanna hear from some big money men. Where's all the high rollers?" Society Red (J.D. Cannon) replies that everything has been bet: "I believe you've got it all, Dragline. Every cent in camp is riding."

As time is running out, and Luke approaches the elusive goal of 50 eggs, Dragline coaxes him on: "Just nine more between you and everlastin' glory...Just little ol' eggs. They pigeon eggs, that's all." The men mimic his chewing action. Up until the last second, it is uncertain whether he has swallowed the last egg. After his winning victory, Luke is laid out on a table strewn with egg shells. The men quickly forget about him and abandon him after using him for their own amusement. Luke is left alone - from an overhead shot, his arms are outstretched, his legs are crossed at the ankle, his eyes are closed, and his head is tilted toward the left - [a symbolic Christ-like crucifixion pose]. An enigmatic grin crosses his face.

Still one of the greatest movies EVER!
  34. Registered User

Still one of the greatest movies EVER!
    Yeah I love this movie too.

Captain: What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Some men, you just can't reach.

So you get what we had here last week -- which is the way he wants it.

Well, he gets it.

And I don't like it anymore than you men.
  35. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"   lbs.

Yeah I love this movie too.

Captain: What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Some men, you just can't reach.

So you get what we had here last week -- which is the way he wants it.

Well, he gets it.

And I don't like it anymore than you men.

Shakin' the tree boss, shakin' the tree...
  36. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

For me - genetics give me the peak on my biceps that makes them look bigger than they are (measurement-wise).

Other than that - I split out biceps and triceps on their own day (away from combining with chest/back).

I think that (along with Bobo's training routine) has really helped.
  37. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by warbird01 View Post
    i want 16s

I got small joints so atleast it makes my arms look bigger...

I am with you there. My wrists are like a womans. Sad actually.

i think i measured like 6.5" diameter. sad.........
  38. Registered User

Get the right parents. I have big biceps and I always thought they were the product of not working them a lot and so they were recovering. I then realized both my parents have big arms and they never work out with weights (not overweight either). Now my 8 year old daughter has big arms as well and she is lean from soccer.
  39. NutraPlanet Fanatic
    Board Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis RR View Post
    Get the right parents. I have big biceps and I always thought they were the product of not working them a lot and so they were recovering. I then realized both my parents have big arms and they never work out with weights (not overweight either). Now my 8 year old daughter has big arms as well and she is lean from soccer.
    Very helpful. So how does one go about getting the right parents when they are, say, 24 years old?
    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    BPS - Where Body meets Performance
    Flawless Skin Couture - We give you the tools to make you Flawless
  40. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis RR View Post

dumbass above
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. How did you get on with Anabolic designs shredabull?
    By Icemansoldier in forum Supplements
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-04-2010, 06:13 PM
  2. how far did you get naturally
    By UnrealMachine in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 07-10-2010, 11:33 AM
  3. How did you guys get more test from your doctors?
    By LiveNDie in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-04-2010, 05:12 PM
  4. How did you get on with universal storm?
    By Icemansoldier in forum Supplements
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-31-2009, 10:33 AM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-08-2003, 01:48 PM