BIG ARMS are cool...How did you get them?

HOW DID YOU GET YOUR BIG ARMS?

• More Frequent Training

Votes: 135 63.7%
  • Less Frequent Training

Votes: 77 36.3%

• Total voters

pudzian2

Banned
Awards
  • Established
SO....who doesnt want big arms?

how did you get yours?

-infrequent training
-more frequent training
-how many sets per bi's or tri's
-what other muscles do you train them with vs. training them together
-training intensity
-volume
-weight (heavy or lighter)

Travis

Travis

Banned
Awards
  • Established
More frequent + IGF seems to work better than anything for me. Still ever adjusting though.

pudzian2

Banned
Awards
  • Established
yea...my arms are stubborn...they dont like to get bigger, but I dont care what they like....they will get bigger

beebab

beebab

Awards
  • Established
yea...my arms are stubborn...they dont like to get bigger, but I dont care what they like....they will get bigger
they be big now pudz. hahaha. but they'll grow even more over time. just keep training with the same intensity you've been training with. maybe vary your rep ranges a little more and alternate between high volume/ low volume lifts. just a thought.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I change up my training every 6-8 weeks. I try and keep them at about 3-5 sets and 2-4 exercises per muscle. Reps vary depending on goal and whether or not they are tied into another muscle group that day.

pudzian2

Banned
Awards
  • Established
they be big now pudz. hahaha. but they'll grow even more over time. just keep training with the same intensity you've been training with. maybe vary your rep ranges a little more and alternate between high volume/ low volume lifts. just a thought.
ohhhhh da beebab......yea man. Im going to do this:

1-Im going to train quads with triceps and
2-Hams with biceps.
(the compound movement for the larger muscle first)...the more muscle fiber I activate the more growth. Arms grow proportionally, so I need to put on weight and size to get them to grow. I will use my slin 3x per week after each of those workouts and also after my chest workout.

I think training a lagging part with a large muscle group will help stimulate growth

beebab

beebab

Awards
  • Established
ohhhhh da beebab......yea man. Im going to do this:

1-Im going to train quads with triceps and
2-Hams with biceps.
(the compound movement for the larger muscle first)...the more muscle fiber I activate the more growth. Arms grow proportionally, so I need to put on weight and size to get them to grow. I will use my slin 3x per week after each of those workouts and also after my chest workout.

I think training a lagging part with a large muscle group will help stimulate growth
follow good ole joe's advice....a weight gain of 10 lbs adds another inch to the arms. hahaha. after working quads though, you don't think you'll be thoroughly burned out for tri's?

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Injecting prop into the bi's has a nice swelling effect.lol I used to get the best gains in arm size by haveing one arm day every 5 days and hitting them for an 1hr straigtht. I'd start with heavy 5-8 reps for the first exercise and then do lighter weight higher reps as the workout progressed. I can't remeber exactley how I did it because its been along time since I trained like that. I will say regular westside training does not increase arm size like when I used to train the other way although its not designed to. I have been thinking about trying to mass up the arms so i'm going to do some extra bicep work and see if I can pull it off without messing up my wsb template.

pudzian2

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Injecting prop into the bi's has a nice swelling effect.lol I used to get the best gains in arm size by haveing one arm day every 5 days and hitting them for an 1hr straigtht. I'd start with heavy 5-8 reps for the first exercise and then do lighter weight higher reps as the workout progressed. I can't remeber exactley how I did it because its been along time since I trained like that. I will say regular westside training does not increase arm size like when I used to train the other way although its not designed to. I have been thinking about trying to mass up the arms so i'm going to do some extra bicep work and see if I can pull it off without messing up my wsb template.
sounds interesting...Its just a system of trial and error really...everyone is different

AM07

Awards
  • Established
Arms are something that doesn't grow on me as well. If someone is doing a simple FB routine M,W,F, would it be okay to throw in an arm day on the weekend?

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
Arms are something that doesn't grow on me as well. If someone is doing a simple FB routine M,W,F, would it be okay to throw in an arm day on the weekend?
Work your shoulders. Deads, overhead presses, incline presses, chins, and my personal fave, the clean and push press. They sort of set the limit as to how big your arms (bis/tris) will get.

X

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
sounds interesting...Its just a system of trial and error really...everyone is different
Yeah it seems so. It appears most do well with way less volume. Some lucky bastards do barley any direct work for arms and are huge. I tried the less is more approach and it didn't work well for my arms. Now If I could get my forearms swole I'd be happy.

RisingAgainst

RisingAgainst

Banned
Awards
  • Established
man... I dunno bros... arms seem to be pretty hard... :wave:

SteelEntity

SteelEntity

Awards
  • Established
I was doing arms once a week just like everything else and they weren't doing ****. So one day I woke up looked at them and said "**** you" and worked them 2-3 a week, I absolutely devastated them.. they were like "whats going on!!" and the bastards grew on me. I am going to try this with shoulders next.

pudzian2

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I was doing arms once a week just like everything else and they weren't doing ****. So one day I woke up looked at them and said "**** you" and worked them 2-3 a week, I absolutely devastated them.. they were like "whats going on!!" and the bastards grew on me. I am going to try this with shoulders next.
damn, well congrats and figuring it out. Im still tryin to find what works for me.

Blake100

Awards
I have arm size issue:)
Yes..they won't grow. I mean, they do grow, but not as i'd like them too. Not like other body parts.
So far, i had biggest success with high frequency system on arms.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well im hitting a stopping point again. Torso and legs grow but arms....they want to stay put! When i was doing DC training I noticed a big jump in strength for my tris and bis with some mass too. Im still trying to figure out what the deal is tho. I think Xodus might have a good point tho about shoulders....idk. How about you big gun guys out there, care to share?

pudzian2

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Well im hitting a stopping point again. Torso and legs grow but arms....they want to stay put! When i was doing DC training I noticed a big jump in strength for my tris and bis with some mass too. Im still trying to figure out what the deal is tho. I think Xodus might have a good point tho about shoulders....idk. How about you big gun guys out there, care to share?
yea pleaaaaase share...

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
What are considered 'big'?

X

SteelEntity

SteelEntity

Awards
  • Established
My triceps are a good size. What caused them to grow was super setting very light weight cable push downs with heavy close grip incline BP. I would reverse the order in which I did them every few weeks.

pudzian2

Banned
Awards
  • Established
What are considered 'big'?

X
well...what do you consider big? I'm not talking size so much as overall quality. I mean anyone can obtain thick fat arms....but cut, large, and developed arms.....

and the variable being discussed here is what people have had most success with when getting them to grow in size, when the other few attributes were assumed to be in place.

ITHURTZ

ITHURTZ

Awards
  • Established
3-4 sets 5 reps barbell, dumbell curls, then dumbell hammers. Took me from 14's to 18's. Now they are stubborn, I think I can get 1/2" more on tris. Forearms love back and no straps!

pudzian2

Banned
Awards
  • Established
3-4 sets 5 reps barbell, dumbell curls, then dumbell hammers. Took me from 14's to 18's. Now they are stubborn, I think I can get 1/2" more on tris. Forearms love back and no straps!
that's pretty much the workout I use and vary up...the soreness I get from those three exercises is great. most other exercises leave me with just...eh

SteelEntity

SteelEntity

Awards
  • Established
Even though many people say preachers are ****, they are the staple of my arm routine. I use the EZ bar with a wide grip and supinate my hands so that my pinky finger is above the rest of my hand. Pretty much the reverse of a classic EZ grip. This tends to place more overload on the bicep and not the brachialis. There was an article someone posted about this once, i'll try to dig it up.

pudzian2

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Even though many people say preachers are ****, they are the staple of my arm routine. I use the EZ bar with a wide grip and supinate my hands so that my pinky finger is above the rest of my hand. Pretty much the reverse of a classic EZ grip. This tends to place more overload on the bicep and not the brachialis. There was an article someone posted about this once, i'll try to dig it up.
i tried this. I feel it like crazy right in the biceps. Its hard on the wrists so I use very light weigh and end up not being sore.....

SteelEntity

SteelEntity

Awards
  • Established

pudzian2

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i haven't done preachers in a while. I will try the supinated grip preacher.

ohiostate2827

ohiostate2827

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i weighted dips 10x3 and i do bb curls 10x3. went from 14 to 16 so far.

warbird01

warbird01

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Cell Tech

No, but really. My arms havnt really grown in the last 1.5 years :( im stuck at 15.5, so gay. I mean i keep getting strong (hammer curl 80x6 DBs) but ****, they wont grow. My bis are getting better tho, but my tris are severly lacking...

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
well...what do you consider big? I'm not talking size so much as overall quality. I mean anyone can obtain thick fat arms....but cut, large, and developed arms.....

and the variable being discussed here is what people have had most success with when getting them to grow in size, when the other few attributes were assumed to be in place.
So giggly grandma arms don't count?

:toofunny:

Unless you are going to pump yourself full of synthol a'la Greg Vantentino, you just gotta get bigger.

I think this about sums it up:

Big Arms, Big Physique

Q: Is it true you have to gain a bunch of muscular body weight overall in order to get big arms?

A: Typically, you have to gain 15 pounds of overall body weight to add an inch to your upper arm measurements. Now, if you want to go from 21 to 22-inch arms, which is enormous, it'll be more like a 25 pound gain.

Weider writers claimed that Arnold used to have a 22 inch arm COLD. Arthur Jones said they were full of ****. Arthur Jones was right: The Weider camp was full of ****. For Arnold to have a legitimate 22 inch arm, he would've had to weigh 308.

If you're going from a 14 inch arm to 16, then 30 pounds will do it. But going from 18 to 20 inches will require more like a 50 pound gain.

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established

pudzian2

Banned
Awards
  • Established
So giggly grandma arms don't count?

:toofunny:

Unless you are going to pump yourself full of synthol a'la Greg Vantentino, you just gotta get bigger.

I think this about sums it up:

Big Arms, Big Physique

Q: Is it true you have to gain a bunch of muscular body weight overall in order to get big arms?

A: Typically, you have to gain 15 pounds of overall body weight to add an inch to your upper arm measurements. Now, if you want to go from 21 to 22-inch arms, which is enormous, it'll be more like a 25 pound gain.

Weider writers claimed that Arnold used to have a 22 inch arm COLD. Arthur Jones said they were full of ****. Arthur Jones was right: The Weider camp was full of ****. For Arnold to have a legitimate 22 inch arm, he would've had to weigh 308.

If you're going from a 14 inch arm to 16, then 30 pounds will do it. But going from 18 to 20 inches will require more like a 50 pound gain.

yea i do agree. However I think there may be few exceptions where some genetically gifted (however i think "genetics" are overrated excuses for people not to work hard to achieve their goals). I think some people can have naturally disproportionate growth in the arms, but for the most part its all BS that if you go to the gym and do bicep curls 3x per week and nothing else that you can make 23 inch arms and a stick figure physique other wise.

i heard it was more like 10lbs per inch on the arms.....oh well. I want 20+inch arms so 40+lbs gain it is!

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
yea i do agree. However I think there may be few exceptions where some genetically gifted (however i think "genetics" are overrated excuses for people not to work hard to achieve their goals). I think some people can have naturally disproportionate growth in the arms, but for the most part its all BS that if you go to the gym and do bicep curls 3x per week and nothing else that you can make 23 inch arms and a stick figure physique other wise.

i heard it was more like 10lbs per inch on the arms.....oh well. I want 20+inch arms so 40+lbs gain it is!
Yeah the 'genetics' excuse is a pretty poor one. My genetics gave me a large frame, which makes it tougher to 'fill out' vs. someone a foot shorter than me, but it certainly won't limit what I can do with time and persistence.

If curling 3x / week gave you 'big guns', there would be a lot of 165# dudes walking around with howitzers sticking out of their sleeves...

20"? damn.

I would be happy to get to 19" and change, shirts are hard enough to buy now.

pudzian2

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Yeah the 'genetics' excuse is a pretty poor one. My genetics gave me a large frame, which makes it tougher to 'fill out' vs. someone a foot shorter than me, but it certainly won't limit what I can do with time and persistence.

If curling 3x / week gave you 'big guns', there would be a lot of 165# dudes walking around with howitzers sticking out of their sleeves...

20"? damn.

I would be happy to get to 19" and change, shirts are hard enough to buy now.
yea true. 19 and change wouldnt be too bad as either haha...but when someone says how big are your arms? and your like...well about as big as your pussy ass right leg. I just think thats funny.

Jet

Awards
  • Established
yea true. 19 and change wouldnt be too bad as either haha...but when someone says how big are your arms? and your like...well about as big as your pussy ass right leg. I just think thats funny.
:rofl:

warbird01

warbird01

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
i want 16s :(

I got small joints so atleast it makes my arms look bigger...

pudzian2

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i want 16s :(

I got small joints so atleast it makes my arms look bigger...
i've got kinda thick joints and bones. sorta like how jay cutler has to be 300lbs whereas someone else can look similar (less bulky of course) at a lesser weight.

SteelEntity

SteelEntity

Awards
  • Established
Mine are 18.5 cold, but I am about to cut so they will shrink a little. But a nicely defined upper arm is more attractive then a big ball of mass so I am looking forward to it.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
I'm stuck at 16's. At my peak bulk they were 17s, but when I leaned back down they also went back down to 16s. Shlt.

pudzian2

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Mine are 18.5 cold, but I am about to cut so they will shrink a little. But a nicely defined upper arm is more attractive then a big ball of mass so I am looking forward to it.
yea i agree. there needs to be depth and cuts. then it looks even bigger than just one molded together lump of steak and potatoes hahha....thats my next goal there.

beebab

beebab

Awards
  • Established
yea i agree. there needs to be depth and cuts. then it looks even bigger than just one molded together lump of steak and potatoes hahha....thats my next goal there.
hahahahaha. now im in the mood for sum steak n taters :hammer:

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
hahahahaha. now im in the mood for sum steak n taters :hammer:
I just finished an 8oz Delmonico and Large Sweet Potato! Yum.

ohiostate2827

ohiostate2827

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i have made gains by goin very slow. 5 secs down 5 secs up for 10 reps. i dont use much weight at all