Best Overall Chest Development Excercise - AnabolicMinds.com - Page 4

Poll: Best excercise for overall chest mass?

Best Overall Chest Development Excercise

Page 4 of 5 First ... 2345 Last
  1. New Member

I didnt see decline press?? I feel this is the best overall chest exercise. The angle alone takes a lot of shoulder out of it and places the stress on the chest.

2. Registered User

Incline Dumbbell presses are excellent, pullovers are good as well i don't see that on there. And parallel bar dips aggrivate my one shoulder so i never got a good crack at them, i do use the hammer strength seated dip machine though and it's great for tri's. I've never seen the v-bar for dips though. Also flat dumbbell presses on a stability ball are KILLER, just started these lately and they give you and a larger range of motion, plus your abs get hit hard as well. You'll be pressing a little less than normal though.
  3. New Member

incline dumbell, and moderately heavy flyes.. are what i do for my chest workout. i refuse to use BB anymore. unless i need to change up my workout, and then i just do it for about two weeks or so... i find my shoulder give out, way too early with incline BB... plus i'm a solitary Bodybuilder... i can go heavy with dumbells and not worry about the bar falling on me..
    cheers,
    darkpoet3113
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  210 lbs.

decline dumbell shows the highest EMG rating of muscle involvement. something like 93% flat barbell was 90, i think. all these guys saying incline, its the lowest chest muscle fibre recruiter.
  5. Registered User

I do agree that decline will build your chest fast but i find that it can give your chest that droopy look if your not careful.
  6. New Member

Quick question....I read about 3 weeks ago that for the first 6 years of arnolds training he hit chest every 48 hours....my chest has always been so small compared to everything else I started just doing incline db 100lb x 8 reps for 4 sets then incline BB for 3 sets then fit in light flat bench for 3 sets finishing with a fly routine...my chest was getting great pumps for a few weeks and was actually starting to grow a little when I was hitting chest every 48 hours but now I'm getting worried because my chest isnt getting sore anymore and I feel that my chest is just used to this routine and expects what I'm about to do to it....I dont want to stop doing incline though because I have absolutely no upper chest....maybe I'm over training...I just want to have that sore feeling again like I actually wripped some muscle....any advise? what could I do to shock my muscles? Also what do people think about wide grip vs. narrow grib when benching...which grip builds the chest the best??? Thanks!
  7. Board Sponsor

Most people say a wide grip is better for hitting the chest because the closer your hands are, the more the movement involves the triceps.
  8. O.G. Appnut

Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by somewhatgifted
    decline dumbell shows the highest EMG rating of muscle involvement. something like 93% flat barbell was 90, i think. all these guys saying incline, its the lowest chest muscle fibre recruiter.

Gifted,

Where can I find further info about these EMG ratings?
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  210 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanbane
    Gifted,

Where can I find further info about these EMG ratings?
    Ill look around, im sure it was a study i read about im MD.
  10. Registered User

Weighted Dips
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  210 lbs.

TeenBodybuilding.com - Mark Raineri - EMG Studies Show Best Exercises!

Heres a link to some EMG results, turns out i was only half right about my previous statement, decline dumbell is the best but incline was surprisingly second when using dumbells. Glad ive rectified this for my own usage as well, some other good EMG info for other body parts too.
  12. New Member

incline dumbells always works too much shoulders for me? Maybe its technique?
  13. Banned
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.

incline db press and flyes, then flat barbell
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  210 lbs.

Training Article of the Week

-Electromyographical Research and Maximum Muscle Fiber Stimulation
    (Eric Knight B.A. Hon. Kinesiology, CPT)

Electromyographical (EMG) Research is an essential research tool allowing
    physiologists to determine the role of muscles during specific movements. EMG is
    a scientific method of measuring the level of excitation. This is done by
    placing electrodes over your body and recording the level of muscle activity
    induced by an exercise. A study was conducted to find which exercises cause the
    greatest amount of activity within each muscle group and, as a consequence,
    determine which exercises will produce the greatest gains in mass and strength.
    This study was conducted by Tudor O. Bompa, PhD & Lorenzo J. Cornacchia. Both
    men and women were used in the sudy and all subjects had at least two years
    experience with resistance training.

Here are the results of that study:
    (100% would signify maximum muscle fiber stimulation)

Pectoralis Major
    Decline dumbbell bench press ----------------93%
    Decline bench press, Olympic bar(OB)---------89
    Push-ups between benches --------------------88
    Flat dumbbell bench press -------------------87
    Flat bench press (OB) -----------------------85
    Flat dumbbell flyes --------------------------84

Pectoralis Minor
    Incline dumbbell bench press ----------------91%
    Incline bench press (OB) --------------------85
    Incline dumbbell flyes -----------------------83
    Incline bench press (smith machine) ---------81
  15. New Member

so Decline movements are the best?
  16. Professional Member

Hit the muscle from every angle, decline, incline and flat. End with some fly's and everyone is happy
  17. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  210 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by jminis
    Hit the muscle from every angle, decline, incline and flat. End with some fly's and everyone is happy
    This is my training philosophy exactly, This information is crucial in justifying max chest strength with minimal assistance campared to other planes of movement. I start with flat/decline but if upper chest was my weakness id prioritize the lacking area. Makes more sense to fatigue the target muscle more than the supporting cast.
  18. board observer

Interesting though that flyes are about the same as flat olympic bar bench. Wish they would've tried chest dips. I love dips.
  19. New Member

Keeping your chest routinue fresh is what works best. I've gone through periods where the declined barbell press was the best but now find I get the best results from the inclined barbell press.

I use a two week period were the first week I would do inclined barbell followed by flat dumbell and then maybe some flies. Week two I would do declined barbell followed by inclined dumbell etc and go from there. I just never found flat barbell to do anything for me.
  20. Lift Heavy
    Stats
    6'2"  241 lbs.

There is no single best chest developement exercise. Thats rediculous to even try to answer what it would be. Your chest is made up of several different muscles that are directly stimulated by several different exercises. When all those exercises are effectively intertwined, with PERFECT FORM, that is your best chest developer.
  21. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  210 lbs.

To each his own, in some cases with improper development or genetic muscle imbalances, there are certain movenments that are more beneficial than others however this changes with consistency and needs to be recognized.
  22. Registered User

Look at exrx.net
    Incline is mainly for the upper pecs and anterior delts.
    I dont know how this can possibly be the best chest excercise? your shoulders will lag you.
    Decline bench is a simular angle to dips, except it isolates the chest more.

Personally I think replacing any direct anterior delt work such as front raises, aswell as taking out flat bench and instead replacing them with both with Incline and decline bb/db press would be better then what most people do wich is military press and flat bench press, then doing lateral delts directly.
    Otherwise just weighted dips if your into good compounds.
  23. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by bLacKjAck. View Post
    There is no single best chest developement exercise. Thats rediculous to even try to answer what it would be. Your chest is made up of several different muscles that are directly stimulated by several different exercises. When all those exercises are effectively intertwined, with PERFECT FORM, that is your best chest developer.
    There is the pectoralis major and pectoralis minor, of which the former is the one we think of as "pecs". Its one muscle.

But, there is some non-sense talk about any exercise with one given muscle working out the whole muscle. There is a clear indication you can focus on different portions of a muscle by altering the exercise, so you're right that good form and a variety of chest exercises being a sure bet to a well developed chest.
  24. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by somewhatgifted View Post
    Training Article of the Week

-Electromyographical Research and Maximum Muscle Fiber Stimulation
    (Eric Knight B.A. Hon. Kinesiology, CPT)
    Good post
  25. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'7"  230 lbs.

Holy bumpage batman!

I take it this post gets bumped once a year for posterity?

:P

Amor Est Vitae Essentia,

Neoborn
  26. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by YellowJacket View Post
    I like dips for mass, I dont see those anywhere.....

I'll definately 2nd this.... GREAT GREAT GREAT mass builder... especially when using a weight belt! Slap a 45 on and pump some of those out!

OOORAH!!!
  27. New Member

I think that the best exercise for full chest mass development is the Heavy db press on the exercise ball. If you have never tried it you will be impressed on how much this hammers your chest. Also good to use the ball for wide and deep db fly.
  28. Board Sponsor

This thread is 5 years old lol. I like flat/incline/decline/then flyes.
  29. Advanced Member

You know what has really added mass to my inner chest and getting that deep muscle cut between the pecs.. peck deck, just really focus on squeezing at the end of the movement and mentally focus on targeting that area. I love them. Flys and peck deck seems to add more mass to my chest then presses.
  30. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  192 lbs.

My chest preference is:
    flat bench BB 3x8,
    incline bench BB 3x8,
    Dips 3/8,7,5
    Push ups 3xfailure
  31. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.

http://www.thefitshow.com/week3/milos_chest_med.htm

I know this has been posted here a couple times in random, old threads, but some of the tips in that video are really helpful..

The main things he's advocating in that vid -- dropping the weight down, really strict form, pausing, mind-muscle connection and all that noise -- really helped me out when my chest was stalled.. so I figured I would just call a little attention to it for whoever may be interested..
  32. New Member

Gotta go with DB incline for this one. Flat DB would have to be second for me. Probably Dips after that.
  33. New Member

usually i have to do normal bench which for me is alot of triceps. then at the end of a work out i do wide grip to finish my pec workout off. It really depends on the grip for me with flat barbell bench.
  34. New Member
    Stats
    6'4"  215 lbs.

None of the traditional exercises really did much for me and my pecs, so I just totally went by feel and concocted a homeade recipe that worked for me (like Really worked!)

I alternate between 3 exercises, 2 of which I seem to have invented. I do something I call "pec crunches" where I hold a barbell just above my upper pecs near my neck and do a crunch movement just a few inches up (really works the peak contraction angle). Then instead of regular flyes with arms to the side I just put my arms down toward my hips, and just raise the dumbells from the floor to just past my hips and down again (while keeping my back flat on the bench, no arching). Then I do a bunch of "power twister" flexes (the thing with the big coil spring in the middle and two handles). The one comon theme among these is they all really emphasize the "peak contraction", the one principle I find most effective. I also do the conventional stuff quite often, but these are my 3 favorite that seem to work the best. Isometric Flexing also works good, again all about the peak contraction thing with me.

And one other thing, You can't ignore your front delts! Make sure you INCLUDE front delt work when you work on delts. Your body is only as strong as your weakest link and weak front delts will greatly inhibit your ability to develop your pecs.
  35. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  171 lbs.

for me i do heavy flat bench obviosely and dumbell flys after that i do light weight bench and dumbell flys
  36. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  218 lbs.

I love this one trully. and don't get to do it enough. incline seated cable fly's. hooked on the bottom of the cable machines. with a pause @ the closing rep. superset that with some close grip pushups. Burn baby burn.
  37. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by Bravoboy View Post
    I love this one trully. and don't get to do it enough. incline seated cable fly's. hooked on the bottom of the cable machines. with a pause @ the closing rep. superset that with some close grip pushups. Burn baby burn.

I do these now as well, but try holding and contracting on each rep hehe. I now have striations between my pecs / upper chest when I never had them before. Closegrip pushups are awesome too, I contract with rep as well and hold the contraction. It's bringing in some nice definition.
  38. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sortabuffdude View Post

And one other thing, You can't ignore your front delts! Make sure you INCLUDE front delt work when you work on delts. Your body is only as strong as your weakest link and weak front delts will greatly inhibit your ability to develop your pecs.

I have problems with my front delts, they are too big lol. I personally don't need to hit them ever with isolation work, they get worked on heavy chest days. Trying to even out my chest to the size of those front delts is a tough task for me lol. My shoulder days only consist of side lateral raises, rear delt work and clean + press / standing military press, occasionally upright rows, but they are by far the largest/most developed muscles on my body.

My main problem is trying not to utilize front delts while working chest, this will hinder chest growth.

Right now I'm straying away from BB press, and just doing incline DB press supersetted with flies, then repeated on flat and decline. Then I move onto cable flies and closegrip pushpress and my pecs are screaming at me the next day.
  39. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  218 lbs.

oh yeah, good stuff.
  40. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Which is best for shoulder development?
    By WILL DA BEAST in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-10-2008, 02:57 PM
  2. Weird chest development
    By Distilled Water in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-29-2008, 04:16 PM
  3. Best Books for developing training programs?
    By Mr.50 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-28-2006, 05:23 PM
  4. Replies: 52
    Last Post: 08-31-2006, 09:25 AM
  5. What is the best, overall back exercise.
    By stuart harlin in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 10-22-2004, 08:09 PM