• Flat barbell

Votes: 248 23.8%
  • Weighted Dips

Votes: 104 10.0%

• Total voters

sane1

Banned
Awards
I voted for the Incline Barbell but was wondering why flys were not included in the poll. Flys are awsome for the chest. I may have had a harder choice if that was included in the poll.

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
Agreed Weighted dips

Storm

Awards
weighted dips leaning forward keeping elbows out to isolate pecs and incline db presses w/ bench slightly inclined at various angles....add some cable crossovers at end of routine and modified flyes for a nice pec stretch..voila. :)

Storm

perfect270

Awards
I like Heavy dumbell flat press. If you keep your range of motion narrow on one set and slightly wider on another set you can pound your chest.

Magickk

Magickk

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I like Heavy dumbell flat press. If you keep your range of motion narrow on one set and slightly wider on another set you can pound your chest.
I did that today actually on the Hammer strength machines....

incline Db
wide chest hammer strength
and flat bench hammer strength
followed by decline
and weighted dips w/ 2 45s...

Chest is still pumped, I feel like I got a good workout in :)

chainsaw

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
In the book beyond brawn the author says that Dips are superior to the flat bb bench. I also read that Dorian Yates used incline dumbells as a staple chest exercise because he said it uses the bulk of the pec muscle.

nightfly71

nightfly71

Awards
  • Established
I like the Hammer Strength iso-lateral incline bench a lot. You use bi-lateral power to push actual weight plates. Even better, your hands almost toch at the top, so you get an awesome contraction. I love Hammer Strength for almost anything.

CrAzyOttER

Banned
Awards
i think cable flys should have been up there. i love em! and they love me too!

darkswan

Awards
Lately chest day is

2 set Incline BB 6-8 rep
2 set Incline DB 8-10 rep
2 set Dip 10-12 rep
2 set flat fly 10-12 rep

8 sets of fiber ripping love.

davisville64

Awards
While its not one of my top 3 favorite lifts for chest, decline dumbell can be VERY usefull IMO.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
That's a very good link..Most of the knock on BB Bench is the lack of contraction, but the technique Milos uses the contraction is definitely there as well as the maximum range of the stretch..BB Bench

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
In the old days pre 1970's dip were called the upper body squat by many trainees. Arthur Jones used to have his trainees do it.

phasar

Awards
  • Established
By the way, was about halfway through my workout yesterday when these two skinny abercrombie brothers come struttin in and immediately proceed to begin cable crossovers with 40's per side... you should add this excellent mass builder Pjorstad, by no means should it ever be overlooked :rolleyes:

(I'd probably ex the poll and just ask for people's suggestions)
hehehe. don't u just wish you could teach them a lesson.... if they say there's 2 of 'em and just one of you, just show them your guns and say "actually more like 3 of me and 2 of you". bwahahahaha

NiteHawk

Awards
I didnt see decline press?? I feel this is the best overall chest exercise. The angle alone takes a lot of shoulder out of it and places the stress on the chest.

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
Incline Dumbbell presses are excellent, pullovers are good as well i don't see that on there. And parallel bar dips aggrivate my one shoulder so i never got a good crack at them, i do use the hammer strength seated dip machine though and it's great for tri's. I've never seen the v-bar for dips though. Also flat dumbbell presses on a stability ball are KILLER, just started these lately and they give you and a larger range of motion, plus your abs get hit hard as well. You'll be pressing a little less than normal though.

darkpoet3113

Awards
incline dumbell, and moderately heavy flyes.. are what i do for my chest workout. i refuse to use BB anymore. unless i need to change up my workout, and then i just do it for about two weeks or so... i find my shoulder give out, way too early with incline BB... plus i'm a solitary Bodybuilder... i can go heavy with dumbells and not worry about the bar falling on me..
cheers,
darkpoet3113

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
decline dumbell shows the highest EMG rating of muscle involvement. something like 93% flat barbell was 90, i think. all these guys saying incline, its the lowest chest muscle fibre recruiter.

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
I do agree that decline will build your chest fast but i find that it can give your chest that droopy look if your not careful.

musclesinmotion

Awards
Quick question....I read about 3 weeks ago that for the first 6 years of arnolds training he hit chest every 48 hours....my chest has always been so small compared to everything else I started just doing incline db 100lb x 8 reps for 4 sets then incline BB for 3 sets then fit in light flat bench for 3 sets finishing with a fly routine...my chest was getting great pumps for a few weeks and was actually starting to grow a little when I was hitting chest every 48 hours but now I'm getting worried because my chest isnt getting sore anymore and I feel that my chest is just used to this routine and expects what I'm about to do to it....I dont want to stop doing incline though because I have absolutely no upper chest....maybe I'm over training...I just want to have that sore feeling again like I actually wripped some muscle....any advise? what could I do to shock my muscles? Also what do people think about wide grip vs. narrow grib when benching...which grip builds the chest the best??? Thanks!

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Most people say a wide grip is better for hitting the chest because the closer your hands are, the more the movement involves the triceps.

Vitruvian

Vitruvian

O.G. Appnut
Awards
  • Established
decline dumbell shows the highest EMG rating of muscle involvement. something like 93% flat barbell was 90, i think. all these guys saying incline, its the lowest chest muscle fibre recruiter.

Gifted,

Where can I find further info about these EMG ratings?

littlemack

Awards
incline dumbells always works too much shoulders for me? Maybe its technique?

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
Training Article of the Week

-Electromyographical Research and Maximum Muscle Fiber Stimulation
(Eric Knight B.A. Hon. Kinesiology, CPT)

Electromyographical (EMG) Research is an essential research tool allowing
physiologists to determine the role of muscles during specific movements. EMG is
a scientific method of measuring the level of excitation. This is done by
placing electrodes over your body and recording the level of muscle activity
induced by an exercise. A study was conducted to find which exercises cause the
greatest amount of activity within each muscle group and, as a consequence,
determine which exercises will produce the greatest gains in mass and strength.
This study was conducted by Tudor O. Bompa, PhD & Lorenzo J. Cornacchia. Both
men and women were used in the sudy and all subjects had at least two years
experience with resistance training.

Here are the results of that study:
(100% would signify maximum muscle fiber stimulation)

Pectoralis Major
Decline dumbbell bench press ----------------93%
Decline bench press, Olympic bar(OB)---------89
Push-ups between benches --------------------88
Flat dumbbell bench press -------------------87
Flat bench press (OB) -----------------------85
Flat dumbbell flyes --------------------------84

Pectoralis Minor
Incline dumbbell bench press ----------------91%
Incline bench press (OB) --------------------85
Incline dumbbell flyes -----------------------83
Incline bench press (smith machine) ---------81

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
Hit the muscle from every angle, decline, incline and flat. End with some fly's and everyone is happy:D

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
Hit the muscle from every angle, decline, incline and flat. End with some fly's and everyone is happy:D
This is my training philosophy exactly, This information is crucial in justifying max chest strength with minimal assistance campared to other planes of movement. I start with flat/decline but if upper chest was my weakness id prioritize the lacking area. Makes more sense to fatigue the target muscle more than the supporting cast.

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
Interesting though that flyes are about the same as flat olympic bar bench. Wish they would've tried chest dips. I love dips.

Toon Army

Awards
Keeping your chest routinue fresh is what works best. I've gone through periods where the declined barbell press was the best but now find I get the best results from the inclined barbell press.

I use a two week period were the first week I would do inclined barbell followed by flat dumbell and then maybe some flies. Week two I would do declined barbell followed by inclined dumbell etc and go from there. I just never found flat barbell to do anything for me.

bLacKjAck.

bLacKjAck.

Lift Heavy
Awards
  • Established
There is no single best chest developement exercise. Thats rediculous to even try to answer what it would be. Your chest is made up of several different muscles that are directly stimulated by several different exercises. When all those exercises are effectively intertwined, with PERFECT FORM, that is your best chest developer. :thumbsup:

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
To each his own, in some cases with improper development or genetic muscle imbalances, there are certain movenments that are more beneficial than others however this changes with consistency and needs to be recognized.

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
Look at exrx.net
Incline is mainly for the upper pecs and anterior delts.
I dont know how this can possibly be the best chest excercise? your shoulders will lag you.
Decline bench is a simular angle to dips, except it isolates the chest more.

Personally I think replacing any direct anterior delt work such as front raises, aswell as taking out flat bench and instead replacing them with both with Incline and decline bb/db press would be better then what most people do wich is military press and flat bench press, then doing lateral delts directly.
Otherwise just weighted dips if your into good compounds.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
There is no single best chest developement exercise. Thats rediculous to even try to answer what it would be. Your chest is made up of several different muscles that are directly stimulated by several different exercises. When all those exercises are effectively intertwined, with PERFECT FORM, that is your best chest developer. :thumbsup:
There is the pectoralis major and pectoralis minor, of which the former is the one we think of as "pecs". Its one muscle.

But, there is some non-sense talk about any exercise with one given muscle working out the whole muscle. There is a clear indication you can focus on different portions of a muscle by altering the exercise, so you're right that good form and a variety of chest exercises being a sure bet to a well developed chest.

neoborn

neoborn

Awards
  • Established
Holy bumpage batman!

I take it this post gets bumped once a year for posterity?

:p

Amor Est Vitae Essentia,

Neoborn

Insidious1

Awards
  • Established
I like dips for mass, I dont see those anywhere.....

I'll definately 2nd this.... GREAT GREAT GREAT mass builder... especially when using a weight belt! Slap a 45 on and pump some of those out!

OOORAH!!!

NP HUlK

NP HUlK

Awards
I think that the best exercise for full chest mass development is the Heavy db press on the exercise ball. If you have never tried it you will be impressed on how much this hammers your chest. Also good to use the ball for wide and deep db fly.

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
This thread is 5 years old lol. I like flat/incline/decline/then flyes.

SteelEntity

SteelEntity

Awards
  • Established
You know what has really added mass to my inner chest and getting that deep muscle cut between the pecs.. peck deck, just really focus on squeezing at the end of the movement and mentally focus on targeting that area. I love them. Flys and peck deck seems to add more mass to my chest then presses.

glaze1353

glaze1353

Awards
My chest preference is:
flat bench BB 3x8,
incline bench BB 3x8,
Dips 3/8,7,5
Push ups 3xfailure