Poll: Best excercise for overall chest mass?

Best Overall Chest Development Excercise

Page 2 of 5 First 1234 ... Last
  1. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.15%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Me too.

2. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.57%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Weighted Dips. Although I'm a big sucka for low-incline flys.
    Sage
  3. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.36%

I once saw a list of exercises.. and a rating of the amount of muscle fibers they recruit and how much hypertrophy comes from each one. I don't know how accurate it was.

But decline barbell bench press was the highest for chest
    •   

4. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    37.12%

I'm a sucka for the flat barbell.....I don't think you can go wrong with some incline dumbell presses though
  5. Ectomorph man
    Stats
    6'2"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    49.19%

weighted dips and decline barbell press

and i concur with its chest-focus... the decline hits my pecs like you wouldnt believe... i get off a volume group of declines, hit the military presses and then dips and i am WASTED...
  6. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    62.12%

FLAT BARBELL BENCH PRESSES HERE! For some reason people are scared to admit they use this exercise WTF?? Its not a part of the big three lifts for no reason.
    Last edited by COLOSSUS; 06-02-2004 at 09:54 PM.
  7. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  197 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.94%

Like most here DIPS!
  8. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'11"  251 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.47%

Push ups own all lol
  9. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.43%

i do mix of exercises.............

6 sets of flat bech
    6 sets of incline bench
    6 sets of deline bench
    3 sets of incline dumbels
    and finaly cross cabel cheast flys
  10. Ron Paul... phuck yeah!
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    87.12%

10setx12rep decline pushups w/stands. Feet elevated 20"-30"
  11. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.55%

Dumb newbie question: Most of you guys seem to prefer incline dbs. I usually start of with the flat bb presses and then move to incline and decline db presses. Is that okay?
  12. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.59%

god bless the hammer strength dip machine..god i love that piece of equipment..althought the nautilus is great too
  13. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.66%

I wish decline dumbell was an option...
  14. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.27%

My favorite chest movements are pretty simple:

Dumbbell flyes(flat/incline)
    Dumbbell press(flat/incline)
    Dips, no added weight until failure
  15. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    62.12%

Quote Originally Posted by bigpetefox
    My favorite chest movements are pretty simple:

Dumbbell flyes(flat/incline)
    Dumbbell press(flat/incline)
    Dips, no added weight until failure
    definitely agree on the flat bench db flyes... nothing gets the inside of my chest like those
  16. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    14.55%

I find changing my grip on the bench works as well, I used to powerlift, and some habits do die hard, now I still have the muscle to lift more weights than your average girl But bench press,
  17. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.45%

I was surprised to see inclined dumbbell on top. I do flat dumbbell and voted inclined barbell,but guessed inclined barbell was voted #1,because of the heavier weight used.
  18. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.59%

u guys that like flyes should try this.try using one arm at a time and bringing ur arm across ur chest little over the middle then back it off then begin ur other arm towards the middle of ur chest and a little over(this would work good with cables) this takes a little practice but will def feel a much bigger contraction which is what u really want imo
  19. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.27%

Just use heavy-ass dumbbells like I do..
  20. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89%

I have never realu understood how incline presses can work your chest as effectively.

Everyone knows that the higher the incline the more you utilise your shoulders.
    So what does thie mean?

Flat presse ( primarly chest)
    Incline ( priomarly shoulders and chest)
    Now seeing as you are incorportaing another major muscle, the weight on inclines should go up stubstantialy, should it not?

it should , unless the emphasis is being taken off the chest. That is the problem with inclines. I remember reading a study ( i am sory not to quote it ) that talked about chest effort on flat/incline/decline.
    It talked about incline havily taking the effort off the chest and I think flat press gave something like 30 - 40% more stimualtion ( how they quantify this is anyones guess).

Everyone thinks it puts more effort on the upper chest and in away this is true, but its realy just taking the effort of the lower chest.
    So flat presses were best for upper and lower chest, while Inclines were better for shoulders, equal fopr upper chest and worse for lower chest.

Only reason i would use Incline as a primary mover is if my lower chest was overly developed or i realy wanted to work on shoulders.
  21. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.45%

Every time you work chest,whether flat incline decline,your weaker triceps are more likely to give out before your chest. When i want to give a muscle full stimulation,i will use an exhaustion set right before my work set. Pec or flys for chest,pullups or machine pulldowns for biceps,tricep pushdowns for yup triceps. It works great
  22. Ruthless.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    90.95%

"Dumbbell flyes(incline)"

My favorite.
  23. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.14%

What I found to work awesome is doing incline movements on 1 day and flat movements about 4 days later. I have been doing that for about 4 weeks now and my chest is getting bigger and bigger, never had a problem with chest though
    (best body part). Granted I'm taking a ****load of anabolics my bench has been sky rocketing lately and I'm loving this new routine!
  24. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.14%

Quote Originally Posted by Juiceman
    What I found to work awesome is doing incline movements on 1 day and flat movements about 4 days later. I have been doing that for about 4 weeks now and my chest is getting bigger and bigger, never had a problem with chest though
    (best body part). Granted I'm taking a ****load of anabolics my bench has been sky rocketing lately and I'm loving this new routine!

I could never get my incline close to my flat bench and this has been helping a bit. For instance I could never incline more than 250 for 8, now I'm doing 300 for 6 which is pretty decent, still not where I want it by any means but I think this split has definately helped me out!
  25. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.97%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Incline dumbells do it for me, that's for sure. I was a barbell-aholic, but recently I've just been doing one heavy working set of both flat and inclide barbell, then I go to moderate range (5-8) of really slow, really disciplined, and really deep dumbbell presses. I think it's an awesome routine for me. I get to overload my muscle and keep my bench high by doing 3-4 (w/ assist on last ones) of heavy weight and then switch it up to a better chest developing exercise. I'm actually expecting to see strength gains soon. My stabilizers are improving drastically!! That should hopefully help me overcome my sticking-point.
  26. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    52.5%

IMO when i notice a part of my chest falling behind, then i train that area first. For example I am personally not happy with my upper and inner chest area, this sems like a difficult area for me to build mass. So I begine my routine with incline BB presses, then do incline DB presses, flat bench then fly's. I Have never done decline presses because the flat bench and fly's hit the lower chest as well. So in short if you have a lagging area, work it first before any other chest area. I have no opinion on which builds the chest better, your routine is built around you, so genetics, and personal preference and comfort are what build chest, tailored to your body not someone elses.
  27. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99%

i never used to do much pressing with db's. i just thougth you should do the exercises with which you can use the most weight like flat bench bb and incline bb.

since i first read this thread a couple months ago i've started using db inclines and i really love them. i've noticed more hypertrophy in my chest overall as well as strength improvement in the flat bench bb and military press, for which i am also doing db presses now.
  28. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    97.7%

I've found that in my experience, ALL are great variations and ALL actually rank higher or lower for effectiveness depending upon (and this is an important aspect) what ones have been used recently. Simply, if I've been working heavy incline BB presses for a strength cycle, switching over to flat BB or DB movements for the next will surely show improvement on those lifts in that my anterior delts have had more asked of them from the incline cycle. After a cycle of flat chest work, I'll focus on a cycle of heavy weighted dips to recruit more tricep (indirect) in that chest movement. A short cycle of decline presses (major tri involvement) next will allow to have the recent improvment in tricep muscular and neural function put into place in a pressing movement. So, in my quest to improve my chest's overall development, ALL of the exercises and their variations play a major role in the success of the ones to follow.

EDIT: This variety is great however, one must train with purpose, not just mix things up for the sake of doing it either. Like I said, each exercise I select has a purpose, mainly, it is part of a much larger macrocycle really lasting months.
  29. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.86%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Heavy incline (30%) dumbbell presses.
  30. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.72%

DIPSET DIPSET DIPSET !!
  31. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89%

bench cable press. horizontal adduction all the way --> resistance all the way+ multiaxial loading--> more hypertrophy
  32. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70.2%

Supinated cable flies. Almost pulls the delts out of the move completely. Almost all pecs, and a nearly constant resistance (cables).
  33. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    5.94%

Quote Originally Posted by ZackMurphy
    Supinated cable flies. Almost pulls the delts out of the move completely. Almost all pecs, and a nearly constant resistance (cables).
    if you love youre subacromial bursa and your shoulder as a whole you'll lose this one, as it puts the shoulder in a very unhealthy position (max internal rotation + abduction) unless you are VERY flexible i your shoulder. and I mean VERY

also, when you start internaly rotated you start with a shorter pectoralis.
  34. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70.2%

Quote Originally Posted by judge-mental
    if you love youre subacromial bursa and your shoulder as a whole you'll lose this one, as it puts the shoulder in a very unhealthy position (max internal rotation + abduction) unless you are VERY flexible i your shoulder. and I mean VERY

That's interesting. I had thought about the advantage/disadvantage of each of the related muscles (in trying to TRULY isolate the pecs), but didn't think much of joint and bursal sac issues. Hmm.
  35. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    5.94%

That's interesting. I had thought about the advantage/disadvantage of each of the related muscles (in trying to TRULY isolate the pecs), but didn't think much of joint and bursal sac issues. Hmm.
    I see no point in isolation unless for rehab/prehab or perturbed motor patterns. you wan to recruit the chest? load more weight. triceps/delts fatigue first? flys/pullovers, wide 1 and quarter bench etc are the answer.
  36. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70.2%

I see no point in isolation unless for rehab/prehab or perturbed motor patterns. you wan to recruit the chest? load more weight. triceps/delts fatigue first? flys/pullovers, wide 1 and quarter bench etc are the answer.
    Well, ignoring the injury issue for the time being, the point of pec isolation was quite simply to hit the pecs without letting the anterior and medial delts or triceps weasel in on the action.

I love compound movements, but I also like isolation to pre-exhaust or for a general change of pace. And since all other pec movements heavily recruit anterior delts (at least) and most recruit some medial delt and/or tris, the supinated flys serve a purpose.

I appreciate your input.
  37. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89%

Well, ignoring the injury issue for the time being, the point of pec isolation was quite simply to hit the pecs without letting the anterior and medial delts or triceps weasel in on the action.

I love compound movements, but I also like isolation to pre-exhaust or for a general change of pace. And since all other pec movements heavily recruit anterior delts (at least) and most recruit some medial delt and/or tris, the supinated flys serve a purpose.

I appreciate your input.
    pullover/decline fly= no delts. try it.
  38. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70.2%

Quote Originally Posted by vafla
    pullover/decline fly= no delts. try it.
    Well, you're right about no delts, but pull overs recruit some triceps, and some lats. And the decline fly - yeah, that's more iso than most. I don't have a decline at home, but you're right about the movement itself. Probably a small amount of anterior delt, but less than a flat fly, bench press, or any other arm adduction.
  39. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    5.94%

Well, you're right about no delts, but pull overs recruit some triceps, and some lats. And the decline fly - yeah, that's more iso than most. I don't have a decline at home, but you're right about the movement itself. Probably a small amount of anterior delt, but less than a flat fly, bench press, or any other arm adduction.
    pullover = no tricpes (pronated grip)
    decline fly= absolutley no delts, unless youre skeleton and muscualature is not human.

nice thing about pullover is it aslo brings up you intercostals, pretty muscle IMO
  40. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70.2%

Sorry for the delay - haven't been online much. I was going to come back to this faster but got sidetracked.

I don't know much about the bursa and the fluid sac there - is that what you're suggesting would take a beating from this movement? Why? Except for the supination, it's not different from any pec fly.

The way I'm doing this move, I start fully abducted, supinated grip, and I keep the grip supinated. No elbow bend. So there's no real internal rotation. At least not the way I'm picturing it.

And I agree you'd start with a shorter pectoralis major if you began the movement internally rotated, but you're not - your arms are out like a regular fly, just supinated. If anything, the supination should lengthen the pectoral slightly.

You know? Enlighten me. Thanks.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Which is best for shoulder development?
    By WILL DA BEAST in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-10-2008, 04:57 PM
  2. Weird chest development
    By Distilled Water in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-29-2008, 06:16 PM
  3. Best Books for developing training programs?
    By Mr.50 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-28-2006, 07:23 PM
  4. Replies: 52
    Last Post: 08-31-2006, 11:25 AM
  5. What is the best, overall back exercise.
    By stuart harlin in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 10-22-2004, 10:09 PM