Chiropractic / Musculoskeletal / Joint pain Q & A...

Page 5 of 10 First ... 34567 ... Last
  1. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15%

Thanks for the info Doc. I'll check them out. I was wondering if any of the other photos were from after the surgery. It looks like the did a superb job if they all were.

btw - F.F. 550 XD was the bomb!

Quote Originally Posted by ScottyDoc View Post
    I had my surgery done at Thomas Cosmetic Surgery Center somewhere off of Jimmy Carter Blvd, I think that is in Atlanta, or right on the outskirts of the city near I-85 & I-285. Here is their email address... I hope this helps bro, I think they did a fantastic job to be honest with you, they went in by making their incision around the outer edge of my nipples and yes I can see a scar, but only because I know it is there, others do not see or notice it at all, it blends in with my nipple line almost perfectly... I mean you tell me, can you see it in any of my other pictures, look in my picture gallery??? All the pictures of me in my picture gallery were after the surgery!

2. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'2"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.73%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by tromcom View Post
    Thanks for the info Doc. I'll check them out. I was wondering if any of the other photos were from after the surgery. It looks like the did a superb job if they all were.

btw - F.F. 550 XD was the bomb!
    No... I don't have any other post surgery picts, I mean not immediately after if that is what you are referring to. I was heavier then and wasn't really taking pictures with my shirt off, LoL, if you know what I mean. But later when I got lean, which was like 1.5yrs later, I have tons of picts and it is so hard to notice, I mean you have to know it is there and be really looking for it, I'm in no way insecure about it, because I forget the scars are even there and they blend into my areola's so well you really have to be examining my nipples to really see them. They did a damn good job, could not have been more pleased with the results!
    Dr. Albert Scott Representative for FINAFLEX
    www.finaflex.com
    Redefine Yourself..... REDEFINE EVERYTHING!
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15%

I had meant when I saw your surgery pics, I wondered if any of the other pics in your profile were post surgery. The fact that they all are means they did a great job. I couldn't see any sign of scarring. Sorry for the confusion. I wonder if you can answer another question. After the glandular tissue is removed, is there any chance of it returning.

No... I don't have any other post surgery picts, I mean not immediately after if that is what you are referring to. I was heavier then and wasn't really taking pictures with my shirt off, LoL, if you know what I mean. But later when I got lean, which was like 1.5yrs later, I have tons of picts and it is so hard to notice, I mean you have to know it is there and be really looking for it, I'm in no way insecure about it, because I forget the scars are even there and they blend into my areola's so well you really have to be examining my nipples to really see them. They did a damn good job, could not have been more pleased with the results!
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  257 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70%

I have a question if you do not mind after your done responding to tromcom. I have been working seated calf raises for about 3 months 2x a week (switched from standing Calf raises). About two weeks ago after my workout I noticed that my left ankle now pops every time I walk down a set of stairs. Also happens a lot if I shift weight from right to left foot if I extend my toes much. Gets worse and easier to start the pop when my joints and muscles are cool (exception being right after a calf workout session its easier to pop then also). It does not hurt in the slightest but I am kinda concerned to hear a releatively loud pop every step down stairs.

Should I be concerned or just change excercise for a while?
  5. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.5%

I've got another question for you too Scotty when you have time. Friday I did some straight bar curls. Everytime I do these on the inside of my elbow joint I feel a pop. It's not in the actual bone part of the joint but in the ligaments/tendons. It feels really awkward and afterwards is a bit sore which I know can't be good. I have tried them with thumbs on and thumbs off grip and that doesn't make a difference. I have also tried varying my grip width to no avail. So I am wondering what the heck is wrong with my anatomy that I can't do this basic exercise? Thanks in advance.
  6. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'2"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.73%

Quote Originally Posted by tromcom View Post
    I had meant when I saw your surgery pics, I wondered if any of the other pics in your profile were post surgery. The fact that they all are means they did a great job. I couldn't see any sign of scarring. Sorry for the confusion. I wonder if you can answer another question. After the glandular tissue is removed, is there any chance of it returning.
    Yes, my surgeon warned me that it is almost impossible to remove 100% of the mammillary glands, therefore if something were to cause them to grow out of control like that again (continued hormone use) then yes it could happen again. He told me that he had worked on a few professional wrestlers that had to come back and get repeat surgery like a year or two later!
    www.finaflex.com
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15%

Thanks again. I really appreciate it!

Yes, my surgeon warned me that it is almost impossible to remove 100% of the mammillary glands, therefore if something were to cause them to grow out of control like that again (continued hormone use) then yes it could happen again. He told me that he had worked on a few professional wrestlers that had to come back and get repeat surgery like a year or two later!
  8. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'2"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.73%

Quote Originally Posted by SEAJ View Post
    I have a question if you do not mind after your done responding to tromcom. I have been working seated calf raises for about 3 months 2x a week (switched from standing Calf raises). About two weeks ago after my workout I noticed that my left ankle now pops every time I walk down a set of stairs. Also happens a lot if I shift weight from right to left foot if I extend my toes much. Gets worse and easier to start the pop when my joints and muscles are cool (exception being right after a calf workout session its easier to pop then also). It does not hurt in the slightest but I am kinda concerned to hear a releatively loud pop every step down stairs.

Should I be concerned or just change excercise for a while?
    That is odd, I would get that checked out! I mean if there is no PAIN, I would lose sleep over it, but I would definitely get it checked out either by a Chiropractor or an Orthopedic, just to play it safe and it not get worse and lead to early Osteoarthritis or possible ligament damage later due to instability! Always better safe than sorry, hope this helps, sorry I could not be of more assistance!
    www.finaflex.com
  9. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'2"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.73%

Quote Originally Posted by sapentia View Post
    I've got another question for you too Scotty when you have time. Friday I did some straight bar curls. Everytime I do these on the inside of my elbow joint I feel a pop. It's not in the actual bone part of the joint but in the ligaments/tendons. It feels really awkward and afterwards is a bit sore which I know can't be good. I have tried them with thumbs on and thumbs off grip and that doesn't make a difference. I have also tried varying my grip width to no avail. So I am wondering what the heck is wrong with my anatomy that I can't do this basic exercise? Thanks in advance.
    OK, I too have trouble when doing straight bar curls, I get the same thing! I don't know if it is something with our anatomy, lack of ROM (range of motion) either in our wrists or rotation in our forearms affecting our elbow, or even a lack of flexibility in the rotator, flexors, & extensors in our forearms putting extra pressure at the elbow joint. There are so many things it can be, I have just found that I don't get that pain when use the french-curl bar, so I personally just avoid straight-bar curls and stick with dumbbells and french-curl bar curls. This might actually be a really good question for BEZOE... You out there Bro, wanna add some insight?
    www.finaflex.com
  10. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  257 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70%

That is odd, I would get that checked out! I mean if there is no PAIN, I would lose sleep over it, but I would definitely get it checked out either by a Chiropractor or an Orthopedic, just to play it safe and it not get worse and lead to early Osteoarthritis or possible ligament damage later due to instability! Always better safe than sorry, hope this helps, sorry I could not be of more assistance!
    Thanks. I will get it checked out.
  11. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.5%

OK, I too have trouble when doing straight bar curls, I get the same thing! I don't know if it is something with our anatomy, lack of ROM (range of motion) either in our wrists or rotation in our forearms affecting our elbow, or even a lack of flexibility in the rotator, flexors, & extensors in our forearms putting extra pressure at the elbow joint. There are so many things it can be, I have just found that I don't get that pain when use the french-curl bar, so I personally just avoid straight-bar curls and stick with dumbbells and french-curl bar curls. This might actually be a really good question for BEZOE... You out there Bro, wanna add some insight?
    At least I'm not alone! Bummer though, I was hoping you might have some insight. My bis really lag in development and just don't respond well. I typically use the french-curl bar too or dumbbells. I think I'm right that the french curl bar works the brachialis much more than straight bar which is why I wanted to use the straight bar to focus more on the bi itself. Oh well, work with what you got and make the best of it! I would be really curious to know what the heck is going on in our joints though.
  12. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'2"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.73%

Quote Originally Posted by sapentia View Post
    At least I'm not alone! Bummer though, I was hoping you might have some insight. My bis really lag in development and just don't respond well. I typically use the french-curl bar too or dumbbells. I think I'm right that the french curl bar works the brachialis much more than straight bar which is why I wanted to use the straight bar to focus more on the bi itself. Oh well, work with what you got and make the best of it! I would be really curious to know what the heck is going on in our joints though.
    Ahhh, I have somewhat of a solution for you, I don't have a solution for you to start using the straight bar, but I do have a solution to help you develop your bicep better. I do these at least every other workout, when you do your french curls especially when you are doing preachers and really isolating them, curl with your wrists in the extended position throughout the entire movement, takes all the emphasis off of your forearm flexors and onto your bicep, completely isolates the bicep, works awesome!!!
    www.finaflex.com
  13. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  218 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.71%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Well there is a muscle called the supinator. It supinates the forearm (imagine that) and when the palm is up (supinated) this muslce is shortened across the medial aspect of the elbow joint. Its tendons may possibly be "snapping" across different bony prominences during the straight bar curls. The soreness is due to them being very mildly frayed. Like if you pulled a tightened piece of string over a rock... it will slowly fray and wear.

And yes some people have different anatomy.. tendons and ligaments are more or less lax in some individuals. You may just wanna find an alternative if it gives you trouble. OR stretch these medial elbow muscles by straigtening your elbow, turning your palm up, and extending (bending backward) your wrist with overpressure.
    Suffer now.. and live like a champion later.
  14. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  218 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.71%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Scratch the supinator muscle premise. It originates on the humerus and inserts on the radius. More likely the popping is wrist flexor muscle tendons on the medial aspect of the elbow being "snapped" across the medial epicondyle of the humerus. Stretch them the same way I described in the previous post.
  15. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.5%

Ahhh, I have somewhat of a solution for you, I don't have a solution for you to start using the straight bar, but I do have a solution to help you develop your bicep better. I do these at least every other workout, when you do your french curls especially when you are doing preachers and really isolating them, curl with your wrists in the extended position throughout the entire movement, takes all the emphasis off of your forearm flexors and onto your bicep, completely isolates the bicep, works awesome!!!
    Thanks for the tip! I will try that later today with my workout.
  16. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.5%

Quote Originally Posted by bezoe View Post
    Scratch the supinator muscle premise. It originates on the humerus and inserts on the radius. More likely the popping is wrist flexor muscle tendons on the medial aspect of the elbow being "snapped" across the medial epicondyle of the humerus. Stretch them the same way I described in the previous post.
    Thanks for the advice Bezoe; I will stretch as you describe and see if it makes any difference.
  17. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'2"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.73%

Wait, I'm confused at what you are saying?

I know there are supinating and pronating muscles within the forearm which supinate and pronate the hand...

I'm just a confused right now, LoL! Bare with me!
    www.finaflex.com
  18. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  218 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.71%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Wait, I'm confused at what you are saying?

I know there are supinating and pronating muscles within the forearm which supinate and pronate the hand...

I'm just a confused right now, LoL! Bare with me!
    LOL yea the "supinator" and the "pronator teres". Supination occurs at the wrist AND elbow. Its essentially just the radius rotating. The ulna doesnt move. I was thinking the "supinator" was on the medial aspect of the elbow which wouldnt be logical at all.. i was very sleepy last night so it took me reading my post after I posted it to realize lol.
  19. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85%

Would anyone happen to know some ways to ease knee pain? I had a rod placed in my femur a few years ago and have been steadily bringing the strength back, but my job requires me to be on my feet on concrete in steel toe boots 50-60 hours a week and its takin a toll on my knees when I try to train. I have insoles in my boots, take osteo-biflex, and ibuprofen. I dont know what else to do.
  20. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'7"  171 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.86%

Quote Originally Posted by bomcgraw View Post
    Would anyone happen to know some ways to ease knee pain? I had a rod placed in my femur a few years ago and have been steadily bringing the strength back, but my job requires me to be on my feet on concrete in steel toe boots 50-60 hours a week and its takin a toll on my knees when I try to train. I have insoles in my boots, take osteo-biflex, and ibuprofen. I dont know what else to do.
    See a foot doctor, you may require orthopedic boots.
    Taste the rainbow.
  21. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'2"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.73%

Quote Originally Posted by bluehealer View Post
    See a foot doctor, you may require orthopedic boots.
    I agree, they are called orthotics, it could definitely help! Another thing that I have seen help lots of people with chronic foot, knee and low back problems are... Vibram FiveFingers : Barefoot Sports Shoes : Toe Shoes & Minimalist Shoes to be worn when not in your boots. In order to walk in these correctly you must walk on your toes and not heel strike when you walk, this builds up the gastroc muscles and the soleus muscles as well as limiting the amount of impact when you walk and strengthen all the muscles ligaments and tendons in your feet and legs, it is worth a shot, I have a pair and I love them!

www.finaflex.com
  22. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'7"  171 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.86%

Hey doc, I have this tendon, I assume, running horizontal across the outside of my kneecap.
    It's about 1/8" in diameter. It is very tendor/sore to the touch and when I bend my knee under a load (waking down stairs) my knee hurts.
    Taste the rainbow.
  23. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'2"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.73%

Hey doc, I have this tendon, I assume, running horizontal across the outside of my kneecap.
    It's about 1/8" in diameter. It is very tendor/sore to the touch and when I bend my knee under a load (waking down stairs) my knee hurts.
    Besides the anatomy, a little mobilization and a little rehab, I'm not the best with knees! I usually refer those patients out to a friend who refers his elbow and shoulder patients to me, where I am more proficient! Based on the anatomy, it sounds like your LCL (lateral collateral ligament), besides the basics of R.I.C.E. (Rest, Ice, Compression, & Elevation), I can't be of much help to you, but I bet BEZOE can, YO BEZOE... What do you think, some input!!!
    www.finaflex.com
  24. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  218 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.71%
    Achievements Posting Pro

I wanna bang your avitar while Im eating a bag of skittles.

When you say the outside of your kneecap, it makes me think of the area just laterally to the kneecap- not the side of your leg at the knee. Pain in this area, especially when weight bearing and moving the joint, indicates lateral meniscus damage.

I cant be sure of that online, as I would need to do some special knee tests on you in person. That and imaging are the only ways to really diagnose such an issue.
  25. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85%

[QUOTE=ScottyDoc;2900455]I agree, they are called orthotics, it could definitely help! Another thing that I have seen help lots of people with chronic foot, knee and low back problems are... to be worn when not in your boots. In order to walk in these correctly you must walk on your toes and not heel strike when you walk, this builds up the gastroc muscles and the soleus muscles as well as limiting the amount of impact when you walk and strengthen all the muscles ligaments and tendons in your feet and legs, it is worth a shot, I have a pair and I love them!QUOTE]

I never even thought about those. Thanks for the help!
  26. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'2"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.73%

When you say the outside of your kneecap, it makes me think of the area just laterally to the kneecap- not the side of your leg at the knee. Pain in this area, especially when weight bearing and moving the joint, indicates lateral meniscus damage.

I cant be sure of that online, as I would need to do some special knee tests on you in person. That and imaging are the only ways to really diagnose such an issue.
    Yo.. not disagreeing with you, but I always thought the meniscus (lateral or medial) were not painful? As in people can tear them and not even know they have done so, or am I thinking about something else, or is that only possible and not always the case, help me understand what I'm thinking of?
    www.finaflex.com
  27. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  218 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.71%
    Achievements Posting Pro

I agree, they are called orthotics, it could definitely help! Another thing that I have seen help lots of people with chronic foot, knee and low back problems are... Vibram FiveFingers : Barefoot Sports Shoes : Toe Shoes & Minimalist Shoes to be worn when not in your boots. In order to walk in these correctly you must walk on your toes and not heel strike when you walk, this builds up the gastroc muscles and the soleus muscles as well as limiting the amount of impact when you walk and strengthen all the muscles ligaments and tendons in your feet and legs, it is worth a shot, I have a pair and I love them!

Hell Yes! I have a pair as well Doc!

I actually did a bunch of research and conducted an inservice on these "barefoot/minimalist" shoes. The few studies done since their conception show three main positive benefits in wearing them:

1. Increases the intrinsic muscle strength of the feet

2. Increases lower extremity proprioception- thus increasing balance, by allowing the foot to feel everything under it

3. Decreases impact on ankle, knee, and hip joints by promoting the "shock setting mechanism" (the body's way of altering gait mechanics to decrease amount of force placed on lower extremity joints). Basically this means when you are wearing these shoes and have little cushion under the heel, it causes you to walk moreso on your forefoot to decrease impact. This, in turn places less stress on your knee and hip joints over time.

HOWEVER, one should not jump right into these shoes! If youve been wearing high arch, stability shoes for years, your plantar aponeurosis is not acclimated to the amount of stress you will be putting on it by wearing these. Plantar fascsitis is a bitch. The studies I looked at recommended a 10% a week transition to these shoes.
  28. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  218 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.71%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Yo.. not disagreeing with you, but I always thought the meniscus (lateral or medial) were not painful? As in people can tear them and not even know they have done so, or am I thinking about something else, or is that only possible and not always the case, help me understand what I'm thinking of?
    Ummm I know there can be pain with meniscal tears.. but im not sure there can be asymptomatic damage. It is very well possible though. Come to think of it, I believe I have heard of cases of just decreased ROM where the knee cannot terminally extend because of cartilage pinched between the condyles and tibial plateaus.

Most of the cases Ive seen have included symptoms of pain though Doc.
  29. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'2"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.73%

Ummm I know there can be pain with meniscal tears.. but im not sure there can be asymptomatic damage. It is very well possible though. Come to think of it, I believe I have heard of cases of just decreased ROM where the knee cannot terminally extend because of cartilage pinched between the condyles and tibial plateaus.

Most of the cases Ive seen have included symptoms of pain though Doc.
    OK, was just asking, just thought I remembered something like that from school, as I said previously, Knees are not my forte, only familiar with the anatomy really!
    www.finaflex.com
  30. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  218 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.71%
    Achievements Posting Pro

No problem bro! I just try to throw in the little bit I know when you call on me!
  31. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'7"  171 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.86%

When I say outside of kneecap, I mean between the skin and the cap, not under as in the joint area. If you were looking at my knee, it would be just below the horizontal centerline of my kneecap, running left to right. I can move the "ligament" up and down by rubbing my finger on my knee. If I kneel down on it, it hurts like a bi_ch. A sharp pain.
    Taste the rainbow.
  32. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'2"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.73%

When I say outside of kneecap, I mean between the skin and the cap, not under as in the joint area. If you were looking at my knee, it would be just below the horizontal centerline of my kneecap, running left to right. I can move the "ligament" up and down by rubbing my finger on my knee. If I kneel down on it, it hurts like a bi_ch. A sharp pain.
    As soon as I read that I thought of the Patellar Tendon and here is what I found on it:

Patellar Tendonitis:

The patellar tendon connects the kneecap (the patella) to the shin bone. This is part of the 'extensor mechanism' of the knee, and together with the quadriceps muscle and the quadriceps tendon, these structures allow your knee to straighten out, and provide strength for this motion. The patellar tendon, like other tendons, is made of tough string-like bands. These bands are surrounded by a vascular tissue lining that provides nutrition to the tendon.

What causes patellar tendonitis?
    Patellar tendonitis is the condition that arises when the tendon and the tissues that surround it, become inflamed and irritated. This is usually due to overuse, especially from jumping activities. This is the reason patellar tendonitis is often called "jumper's knee."

When overuse is the cause of patellar tendonitis, patients are usually active participants of jumping-types of sports such as basketball or volleyball. Patellar tendonitis may also be seen with sports such as running and soccer. Also, some patients develop patellar tendonitis after sustaining an acute injury to the tendon, and not allowing adequate healing. This type of traumatic patellar tendonitis is much less common than overuse syndromes.

What are the symptoms of patellar tendonitis?
    Patellar tendonitis usually causes pain directly over the patellar tendon. Your doctor should be able to recreate your symptoms by placing pressure directly on the inflamed tendon. The other common symptom of patellar tendonitis is pain with activities, especially jumping or kneeling. Less common, but not unusual, is swelling around the tendon itself.

X-ray tests are usually performed to confirm there is no problem with the bones around the knee. Occasionally, a bone spur is seen that can be related to patellar tendonitis. A MRI is useful in patients with chronic patellar tendonitis to look for areas of degenerative tendon.

Reference: http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/pate...llartendon.htm
    www.finaflex.com
  33. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'7"  171 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.86%

As soon as I read that I thought of the Patellar Tendon and here is what I found on it:

Patellar Tendonitis:

The patellar tendon connects the kneecap (the patella) to the shin bone. This is part of the 'extensor mechanism' of the knee, and together with the quadriceps muscle and the quadriceps tendon, these structures allow your knee to straighten out, and provide strength for this motion. The patellar tendon, like other tendons, is made of tough string-like bands. These bands are surrounded by a vascular tissue lining that provides nutrition to the tendon.

What causes patellar tendonitis?
    Patellar tendonitis is the condition that arises when the tendon and the tissues that surround it, become inflamed and irritated. This is usually due to overuse, especially from jumping activities. This is the reason patellar tendonitis is often called "jumper's knee."

When overuse is the cause of patellar tendonitis, patients are usually active participants of jumping-types of sports such as basketball or volleyball. Patellar tendonitis may also be seen with sports such as running and soccer. Also, some patients develop patellar tendonitis after sustaining an acute injury to the tendon, and not allowing adequate healing. This type of traumatic patellar tendonitis is much less common than overuse syndromes.

What are the symptoms of patellar tendonitis?
    Patellar tendonitis usually causes pain directly over the patellar tendon. Your doctor should be able to recreate your symptoms by placing pressure directly on the inflamed tendon. The other common symptom of patellar tendonitis is pain with activities, especially jumping or kneeling. Less common, but not unusual, is swelling around the tendon itself.

X-ray tests are usually performed to confirm there is no problem with the bones around the knee. Occasionally, a bone spur is seen that can be related to patellar tendonitis. A MRI is useful in patients with chronic patellar tendonitis to look for areas of degenerative tendon.

Reference: http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/pate...llartendon.htm
    You da man doc. Probably due to leg extensions. Doesn't sound too serious but will def see a doctor about it just to be sure..
    Taste the rainbow.
  34. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'2"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.73%

You da man doc. Probably due to leg extensions. Doesn't sound too serious but will def see a doctor about it just to be sure..
    Whenever possible, seeing a professional in person is always your best bet! If you have the resources, I would ask around and see if you can make an appointment with someone who specializes in knees and works with athletes, athletic specialists are usually the best because it is their job to advise the Athletes get them to or as close to 100% as possible, as their careers and sometimes millions of dollars are on the line! Trust me, word gets around as to who is best in your area, you could probably even Google it! I'm just saying I wouldn't just go to anyone, for example, if you came to me, I would probably only be able to identify what is injured and not give you the best advice on what to do/rehab etc. This is why I refer out, but some will just try anyway to make the $-Money-$, while not getting you any better than when you started because of their lack of knowledge in that area... (Blood-Sucking-A$$holes). So be careful, there are a lot of those out there!
    www.finaflex.com
  35. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  218 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.71%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Yup. Patellar tendonitis. I have a chronic case in my left knee.

If you were an adolescent, we would have to consider Osgood Schlatter's and Patellofemoral syndrome as well but I doubt you are still growing, so those can be ruled out.

EMG studies prove that open chain quadriceps exercises such as leg extensions place more strain on the patellar tendon than closed chained movements such as squats... UNLESS the open chain movement is performed with extremely heavy weight without completing terminal extension or with extremely light weight, and reaching terminal ext. if desired.

There was a nice article on T-nation about it.. i will try to find it.
  36. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  218 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.71%
    Achievements Posting Pro

From your subjective statements, I can pretty much guarantee its some tendonitis. Ice it after workouts, warm it up good before working legs, and dont go to terminal (full) extension on leg extensions.

There could always be a possibility of medial or lateral shifting of the patella due to increased or decreased Q angle- which would cause pain, but thats an entirely different beast.

And whats up with the flowery looing colors they gave us?? Does everybody else have a bright colored screen now?

Here it is: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...81-mcd02.hydra
  37. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    49.73%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity RoyaltyActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

just FYI, i'm going to go get my shoulder MRI'd on friday, just so we can see for sure if there is anything seriously damaged.
  38. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  218 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.71%
    Achievements Posting Pro

That'll be interesting to see. I hope everything looks ok of course. Then again, im sure it would be nice to see some conclusive indication of why you are having issues.
  39. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'7"  171 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.86%

From your subjective statements, I can pretty much guarantee its some tendonitis. Ice it after workouts, warm it up good before working legs, and dont go to terminal (full) extension on leg extensions.

There could always be a possibility of medial or lateral shifting of the patella due to increased or decreased Q angle- which would cause pain, but thats an entirely different beast.

And whats up with the flowery looing colors they gave us?? Does everybody else have a bright colored screen now?

Here it is: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...81-mcd02.hydra
    lol, ok thanks for the link but there are some big words in there. Basically what I got out of it was, do not do leg extensions. Lunges a better alternative?
    Taste the rainbow.
  40. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85%

I took A&P last year but my prof was horrible and I got lazy too so I failed the class. Any recommendations on where to look to help prepare for the A&P needed for Personal Trainer degree?

Similar Forum Threads

1. b12 and joint pain
    By Mad_Scientist in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-08-2010, 06:29 PM
  2. Joint Pain
    By wesb2387 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-15-2009, 02:57 PM
  3. Joint pain E2?
    By rfish1966 in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 17