Chiropractic / Musculoskeletal / Joint pain Q & A...

Page 5 of 16 First ... 34567 ... Last

1. Brinks, I dont know my man. Nothing really stands out for me in your answers except the broken elbow, which wouldnt cause the contralateral side to develop symptoms.

It may be some arthritic anomaly.. perhaps hereditary.

Only other thing I can think of is that your joints, elbows specifically, could be hypermobile, and have consequently developed arthritis.

My advice would be to walk into a PT clinic and get a free consultation. Get them to look at your elbows and see what they recommend.
    Suffer now.. and live like a champion later.

2. Quote Originally Posted by TheKanezzi View Post
    Hey doc-

I have always had elbows that get upset at me easily. I get pain on the medial aspect of both my elbows, and normally when I have elbow pain, my brachialis muscle shares in this pain. The pain is sharp, continuous, and only occurs after i overdo some sort of elbow flexion, and when I am at rest (in bed) it is the worst and gets a throbbing quality to it. When the pain occurs, so does a very eerie weakness in both my grip, brachialis and elbow extension/flexion. I take 10g fish oil daily as well as 2g cissus. I rode motorcycles for 14 years and have trained for about the same time. This most recent insult involved taking an atlas stone from ground to shoulder.

Any ideas or advice?

Regards
    Sounds to me like nerve involvement strictly because of the "sharp" description and the fact that weakness accompanies it. Possibly the musculocutaneous peripheral nerve, or, taking into account your recent incident, a C6 or C7 nerve root injury.

Picking up a boulder would possibly push your head into a forceful lateral tilt and cause damage to the nerve roots in the cervical region.

Not much I can recommend you do (several measures would need to be taken to alleviate this- IF its the problem). These are just my assumptions given your info provided.
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by bezoe View Post
    Easy my man! Welcome bra!

Sounds like supraspinatus impingement. NEVER abduct and internally rotate your shoulder (dont raise your arm out to the side with your thumb down). This causes the small, fragile supraspinatus tendon to slide over the greater tubercle and under the acromium and can become frayed from doing so. The biceps long head can also be caught up this way.

You may have some inflammation of the supraspinatus tendon, OR worst case, it may be kind of "chewed" up from years of overhead activity. My recommendation, without performing several tests in person, is to do some internal and external rotations with theraband, with your elbow against your side. This strengthens the other 3 rotator cuff muscles, which assist in "inferior translation" of the humeral head during shoulder abduction and flexion- keeps the supraspinatus tendon from being smashed between the two bones.
    Ok so if I don't have therabands, but do have powerblocks dbs so adjustable dbs from 2.5-95lbs would it be ok to do these same exercises as laying down on the floor or bed and do the rotations vertically instead? Like

and

4. Quote Originally Posted by GoHardOrGoHme View Post
    subb'd for info!
    Welcome, we are here to HELP!!! Like I said before, we have a really good team here!!!
    Dr. Albert Scott Representative for FINAFLEX
    www.finaflex.com
    Redefine Yourself..... REDEFINE EVERYTHING!

5. Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    Ok so if I don't have therabands, but do have powerblocks dbs so adjustable dbs from 2.5-95lbs would it be ok to do these same exercises as laying down on the floor or bed and do the rotations vertically instead? Like

and

Yes, but extremely light... I still like therabands and water better because of the constant and smooth resistance, also why I added to Bezoe's recommendation and added the whole while in the pool idea, smooth consistent resistance!
    www.finaflex.com
    •   

6. Yeah, I can do the water once a week maybe, but the therabands i'll have to buy somewhere. I may go check out walmart, seem to recall them having something similar (probably some really crappy knockoff)

7. Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    Yeah, I can do the water once a week maybe, but the therabands i'll have to buy somewhere. I may go check out walmart, seem to recall them having something similar (probably some really crappy knockoff)
    Maybe not, I mean surgical tubing is surgical tubing! I've even seen some at surgical tubing, no handles of course, being sold at HomeDepot or as I like to call it The Ho-Po! You can always just buy so many feet of it and use multiple bands if it is too weak with a single band, but if it is sold at Walmart with handles I'm sure it will both be cheap enough and sufficient for therapy, not like you are trying to use it to get a total workout or anything!
    www.finaflex.com

8. Quote Originally Posted by ScottyDoc View Post
    Maybe not, I mean surgical tubing is surgical tubing!
    this one is in stock locally, and under $7 so worth the risk

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gold-s-Gym...ndingMethod=rr

9. Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    this one is in stock locally, and under $7 so worth the risk

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gold-s-Gym...ndingMethod=rr
    Hey... Looks good to me Bro!
    www.finaflex.com

10. Thanks guys for the help. I can normally beat it by not using my arms much, lol, but I was hoping that there was an exercise that I could do to strengthen and prevent these occurances from happening.

The list of things that could have damaged that region of my body are numerous so i hope that there isnt some sort of long standing, permenant damage to them. Im only 26!!

Regards

11. Quote Originally Posted by ScottyDoc View Post
    Maybe not, I mean surgical tubing is surgical tubing! I've even seen some at surgical tubing, no handles of course, being sold at HomeDepot or as I like to call it The Ho-Po! You can always just buy so many feet of it and use multiple bands if it is too weak with a single band, but if it is sold at Walmart with handles I'm sure it will both be cheap enough and sufficient for therapy, not like you are trying to use it to get a total workout or anything!
    agreed

Quote Originally Posted by TheKanezzi View Post
    Thanks guys for the help. I can normally beat it by not using my arms much, lol, but I was hoping that there was an exercise that I could do to strengthen and prevent these occurances from happening.

The list of things that could have damaged that region of my body are numerous so i hope that there isnt some sort of long standing, permenant damage to them. Im only 26!!

Regards
    I hope they arent either bra. Since it sounds intermittent, I wouldnt think it would be any permanent damage. You may just need some stretching of the scalenes or some realignement of your cervical vertebrae. Again, I cant come to a conclusion without running alot more diagnostics.

Nerves are pretty resiliant.. the peripheral nervous system can regenerate if the nerve cell body is intact. Maybe try a few nerve glides:

12. thanks bezoe, ya i kow that assessment is more art than science and it wont translate over the internet, lol. Ha, i tried those two movements and felt some bonafide fatigue with maybe 60-70% ROM.

Yikes

13. Quote Originally Posted by TheKanezzi View Post
    thanks bezoe, ya i kow that assessment is more art than science and it wont translate over the internet, lol. Ha, i tried those two movements and felt some bonafide fatigue with maybe 60-70% ROM.

Yikes
    http://www.hy-q.com/cooper/pdf/NCS%2...ology%2007.pdf

Nerve gliding (or mobilization) is a self-directed technique of breathing, positions, and movements to improve the mobility and decrease symptoms of an injured peripheral nerve?O Peripheral nerves are longer than (by up to several centimeters) the distance between any two points along the limb.4 All nerves glide to some degree to accommodate the change in length during joint motion in order to ensure that the nerve remains tension-free at all times.',20 Several factors can limit the ability of a nerve to glide such as trauma, surgery, posture, bone or soft tissue changes or anomalies, or adhesions. As is true with most other physical therapy interventions, patient instruction and education are key to obtain optimal results in the shortest time frame. The patient is instructed to prevent provoking the symptoms of numbness, tingling, or pain during the glide technique. The nerve glide is halted when resistance is first encountered prior to the production of symptoms. Caution is advised to prevent nerve irritability, when the nerve is quick to flare up and is slow to recover from symptoms. It is also important to advise on home care and daily activities that can mimic over-tension nerve gliding and produce irritability.

So basically, you wanna avoid reproducing the symptoms. If a certain movement or position causes the pain and weakness to occur, abstain from doing it.

14. Quote Originally Posted by bezoe View Post
    Brinks, I dont know my man. Nothing really stands out for me in your answers except the broken elbow, which wouldnt cause the contralateral side to develop symptoms.

It may be some arthritic anomaly.. perhaps hereditary.

Only other thing I can think of is that your joints, elbows specifically, could be hypermobile, and have consequently developed arthritis.

My advice would be to walk into a PT clinic and get a free consultation. Get them to look at your elbows and see what they recommend.
    Thanks again.
    I was raised on meat&potatoes, played in the dirt, got smacked when I missbehaved, School started in assembly(Drill), adressed teachers as Sir/Mr & Maam/Mrs/Miss, didnt knw wtf a Happy Meal was or reliable public transport-and I truned out just fine

15. The band has been helping, trying to do it more or less daily. But I noticed a new oddity in my shoulder issues today. Although the pain has been less on shoulder + chest days, it was pretty painful today in that same spot doing chinups. Any ideas as to why?

16. Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    The band has been helping, trying to do it more or less daily. But I noticed a new oddity in my shoulder issues today. Although the pain has been less on shoulder + chest days, it was pretty painful today in that same spot doing chinups. Any ideas as to why?
    can you refresh my memory bro. Where exactly is the spot?

17. Quote Originally Posted by bezoe View Post
    can you refresh my memory bro. Where exactly is the spot?
    I guess its more an area, but its at the shoulder joint slightly below the center of the joint on the front side.

18. On the outside of the arm, under the armpit, front of arm? Is it somewhere you can palpate and reproduce pain?

19. Quote Originally Posted by bezoe View Post
    On the outside of the arm, under the armpit, front of arm? Is it somewhere you can palpate and reproduce pain?
    From what I remembered him saying it was more in the superior/anterior aspect of his shoulder, but based on the location, I'm surprised it didn't hurt before doing pull-ups (I forget did you say under-handed pull-ups or just close-grip pull-ups?). OK, I see you just said Chin-Ups, well what was your hand position? I think of chin-ups as under-handed & close grip!
    www.finaflex.com

20. thats pretty close, maybe slightly above inside of armpit level. Its hard to get good pressure on it because its covered with the front delt + subscapularis, but is somewhat sensitive to touch

21. Still sounds like bicipital tendonitis. Remember what i said about the biceps tendon becoming impinged and inflammed under the acromium.. During chin ups, the biceps brachii contracts vigorously.

22. You may have someone do some ART (active release technique) to break up any scar tissue, or some MFR (myofascial release) to loosen up those tissues around the area. You can possibly do these but would have to reach across the body and it would be difficult to relax.

23. Hmm yeah, that makes sense. I guess I have to give it time to lower the inflammation

24. Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    Hmm yeah, that makes sense. I guess I have to give it time to lower the inflammation
    That is definitely a good idea, ICE it brotha, to reduce the inflammation! Bezoe is right, some deep tissue to the area would most definitely do it some good, definitely some inflammation going on in there, not to mention all the great advice we are giving you... The massage therapist, assuming they are good, will locate your problem and should be able to give you an even better diagnosis of exactly what & where your problem is and from there you, with your knowledge, should be able to figure out why it is happening... over-use, etc.
    www.finaflex.com

25. Quote Originally Posted by bezoe View Post
    You may have someone do some ART (active release technique) to break up any scar tissue, or some MFR (myofascial release) to loosen up those tissues around the area. You can possibly do these but would have to reach across the body and it would be difficult to relax.
    I suppose that would be a tennis ball spot rather than foam roller? I need to get back in the habit of using my foam roller, I keep slacking

Quote Originally Posted by ScottyDoc View Post
    should be able to figure out why it is happening... over-use, etc.
    I think its mostly getting old
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. b12 and joint pain
    By Mad_Scientist in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-08-2010, 06:29 PM
  2. Joint Pain
    By wesb2387 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-15-2009, 02:57 PM
  3. Joint pain E2?