Chiropractic / Musculoskeletal / Joint pain Q & A...

Page 4 of 10 First ... 234569 ... Last
  1. Registered User
    bezoe's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  218 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,229
    Answers
    0


    Still sounds like bicipital tendonitis. Remember what i said about the biceps tendon becoming impinged and inflammed under the acromium.. During chin ups, the biceps brachii contracts vigorously.
    Suffer now.. and live like a champion later.

  2. Registered User
    bezoe's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  218 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,229
    Answers
    0


    You may have someone do some ART (active release technique) to break up any scar tissue, or some MFR (myofascial release) to loosen up those tissues around the area. You can possibly do these but would have to reach across the body and it would be difficult to relax.
    Suffer now.. and live like a champion later.
  3. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    EasyEJL's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    46
    Posts
    31,867
    Answers
    0


    Hmm yeah, that makes sense. I guess I have to give it time to lower the inflammation
    This space for rent

    Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    ScottyDoc's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,765
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    Hmm yeah, that makes sense. I guess I have to give it time to lower the inflammation
    That is definitely a good idea, ICE it brotha, to reduce the inflammation! Bezoe is right, some deep tissue to the area would most definitely do it some good, definitely some inflammation going on in there, not to mention all the great advice we are giving you... The massage therapist, assuming they are good, will locate your problem and should be able to give you an even better diagnosis of exactly what & where your problem is and from there you, with your knowledge, should be able to figure out why it is happening... over-use, etc.
    Dr. Albert Scott Representative for FINAFLEX
    www.finaflex.com
    Redefine Yourself..... REDEFINE EVERYTHING!
  5. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    EasyEJL's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    46
    Posts
    31,867
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by bezoe View Post
    You may have someone do some ART (active release technique) to break up any scar tissue, or some MFR (myofascial release) to loosen up those tissues around the area. You can possibly do these but would have to reach across the body and it would be difficult to relax.
    I suppose that would be a tennis ball spot rather than foam roller? I need to get back in the habit of using my foam roller, I keep slacking

    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyDoc View Post
    should be able to figure out why it is happening... over-use, etc.
    I think its mostly getting old
    This space for rent

    Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  6. Registered User
    ScottyDoc's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,765
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    I think its mostly getting old
    Bull$hit Bro, never too old, listen to your body and take care of your body and you can do this for many, many years to come!

    Also, what I meant by the Massage Therapist being able to locate your problem more accurately is because he/she will actually have their hands on you, and nothing compares to some good hands-on when diagnosing something like a sprain/strain musculoskeletal injury, no X-Ray or even an MRI can diagnose a problem better than hands-on, unless it is a break, fracture of the bone or a tear/rupture of the muscle, which from what you are saying is extremely doubtful!
    Dr. Albert Scott Representative for FINAFLEX
    www.finaflex.com
    Redefine Yourself..... REDEFINE EVERYTHING!
  7. Registered User
    ScottyDoc's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,765
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyDoc View Post
    Bull$hit Bro, never too old, listen to your body and take care of your body and you can do this for many, many years to come!

    Also, what I meant by the Massage Therapist being able to locate your problem more accurately is because he/she will actually have their hands on you, and nothing compares to some good hands-on when diagnosing something like a sprain/strain musculoskeletal injury, no X-Ray or even an MRI can diagnose a problem better than hands-on, unless it is a break, fracture of the bone or a tear/rupture of the muscle, which from what you are saying is extremely doubtful!
    Unfortunately, that is what makes some of what Bezoe and I are trying to do on this thread so difficult, we are both very good at what we do, but what we do on a daily basis is hands-on with our patients. Just had to throw that in there!
    Dr. Albert Scott Representative for FINAFLEX
    www.finaflex.com
    Redefine Yourself..... REDEFINE EVERYTHING!
  8. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    EasyEJL's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    46
    Posts
    31,867
    Answers
    0


    Hmm yeah, it looks like I have a chiropractor who does ART within about 3 miles. I guess I ought to check the cost and get an appointment.
    This space for rent

    Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  9. Registered User
    -2z-'s Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    42
    Posts
    736
    Answers
    0


    Great info here. I'll have to come back and read this from the beginning.
  10. Registered User
    bezoe's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  218 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,229
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    I suppose that would be a tennis ball spot rather than foam roller? I need to get back in the habit of using my foam roller, I keep slacking
    A foam roller will work just fine


    Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    I think its mostly getting old
    LOL i was gonna say arthritis
    Suffer now.. and live like a champion later.
  11. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    EasyEJL's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    46
    Posts
    31,867
    Answers
    0


    going to a chiro today. Couldn't find a local ART practicioner who takes my insurance, but found one who does Miyodac at least, which is related but tool oriented. We'll see how it goes.
    This space for rent

    Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  12. Registered User
    ScottyDoc's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,765
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    going to a chiro today. Couldn't find a local ART practicioner who takes my insurance, but found one who does Miyodac at least, which is related but tool oriented. We'll see how it goes.
    Keep us posted how that goes, please?
    Dr. Albert Scott Representative for FINAFLEX
    www.finaflex.com
    Redefine Yourself..... REDEFINE EVERYTHING!
  13. Registered User
    ScottyDoc's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,765
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    going to a chiro today. Couldn't find a local ART practicioner who takes my insurance, but found one who does Miyodac at least, which is related but tool oriented. We'll see how it goes.
    I just wanted to post this so anyone visiting this THREAD can see exactly what you are talking about when you say Miyodac technique... http://www.miyodac.com/
    Dr. Albert Scott Representative for FINAFLEX
    www.finaflex.com
    Redefine Yourself..... REDEFINE EVERYTHING!
  14. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    EasyEJL's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    46
    Posts
    31,867
    Answers
    0


    I went, he did some graston technique, it hurts like hell. We'll see how it goes.
    This space for rent

    Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  15. Registered User
    ScottyDoc's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,765
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    I went, he did some graston technique, it hurts like hell. We'll see how it goes.
    I know this should probably be a question for me, but considering I only know of these two techniques and do not personally use them in my practice (why I have a Massage Therapist on payroll), what is the difference between Graston & MiyDac techniques? From what I see and have read, they are basically the same thing, just slightly different stainless steal tools, but both accomplishing the same ultimate goal in almost the exact same fashion!

    http://www.grastontechnique.com/FAQs.html
    Dr. Albert Scott Representative for FINAFLEX
    www.finaflex.com
    Redefine Yourself..... REDEFINE EVERYTHING!
  16. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    EasyEJL's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    46
    Posts
    31,867
    Answers
    0


    they do seem the same, looks like miyodac tools are cheaper, and don't require the specialized training graston does.
    This space for rent

    Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  17. Registered User
    ScottyDoc's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,765
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    they do seem the same, looks like miyodac tools are cheaper, and don't require the specialized training graston does.
    I guess it just goes to show that everyone wants their fair cut of the $-PIE-$. I say good for them as long as it works and is beneficial to the patient!
    Dr. Albert Scott Representative for FINAFLEX
    www.finaflex.com
    Redefine Yourself..... REDEFINE EVERYTHING!
  18. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    EasyEJL's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    46
    Posts
    31,867
    Answers
    0


    for sure. He kinesiology taped me too, i'm banking this will hurt even worse in the morning
    This space for rent

    Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  19. Registered User
    ScottyDoc's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,765
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    for sure. He kinesiology taped me too, i'm banking this will hurt even worse in the morning
    "No Pain... No Gain!" Unfortunately... when breaking up Scar Tissue, this is 100% TRUE!

    Here's a little Inspiration for your PAIN!

    Dr. Albert Scott Representative for FINAFLEX
    www.finaflex.com
    Redefine Yourself..... REDEFINE EVERYTHING!
  20. Registered User
    celc5's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Age
    34
    Posts
    3,211
    Answers
    0


    I'm gonna do my best to be an objective observer here. But my gut is uneasy with purposely instigating inflammation with blunt instruments.
  21. Registered User
    ScottyDoc's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,765
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by celc5 View Post
    I'm gonna do my best to be an objective observer here. But my gut is uneasy with purposely instigating inflammation with blunt instruments.
    I agree with that statement, but the purpose of what we have been talking about is breaking up scar-tissue and muscle adhesions, the cause of the inflammation itself, could it cause an inflammatory response, yes & probably, but a little ice, drinking the hell out of some water and that will be flushed away with the cause of the inflammation gone, less likely to return. For a lack of better words, "A Means to an End!"
    Dr. Albert Scott Representative for FINAFLEX
    www.finaflex.com
    Redefine Yourself..... REDEFINE EVERYTHING!
  22. Registered User
    bezoe's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  218 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,229
    Answers
    0


    Agreed^^^. The breaking up of scar tissue promotes rehealing. You just have to move the joint around afterwards to assure that the tissues heal in a fashioin that allows joint mobility.

    And do gradual strengthening to reestablish the stability. I have never heard of either of these techniques, but it all works the same i suppose- as manual physical agents. Laser therapy would be completely different approach.
    Suffer now.. and live like a champion later.
  23. Registered User
    sapentia's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    137
    Answers
    0


    Scotty,

    I don't have a specific problem that I need an answer to, but I would like your feedback on the following. About a year and a half ago I started doing heavier lifting in my squats, deads, RDL's etc. where before I was always overly precautious in not wanting to risk injuring myself. Since then my strength has gone up considerably in those lifts but I feel much tighter than I used too with it being most obvious in my lower back and hamstrings. Following a heavy squat or deads day I may feel some minor achiness in my low back the next day for example. To help with flexibility I have begun doing some short yoga sessions again to help regain some of that looseness.

    I guess what I would like to hear from you is should a chiropractic visit be a part of my efforts to counteract stiffening etc. from heavy lifting? I know some chiropractors are very much against squatting as they feel it is bad for the spine. I wouldn't want to have to justify weightlifting which is one reason I am reluctant to consider a chiropractor. Thanks in advance.
  24. Registered User
    ScottyDoc's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,765
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by sapentia View Post
    Scotty,

    I don't have a specific problem that I need an answer to, but I would like your feedback on the following. About a year and a half ago I started doing heavier lifting in my squats, deads, RDL's etc. where before I was always overly precautious in not wanting to risk injuring myself. Since then my strength has gone up considerably in those lifts but I feel much tighter than I used too with it being most obvious in my lower back and hamstrings. Following a heavy squat or deads day I may feel some minor achiness in my low back the next day for example. To help with flexibility I have begun doing some short yoga sessions again to help regain some of that looseness.

    I guess what I would like to hear from you is should a chiropractic visit be a part of my efforts to counteract stiffening etc. from heavy lifting? I know some chiropractors are very much against squatting as they feel it is bad for the spine. I wouldn't want to have to justify weightlifting which is one reason I am reluctant to consider a chiropractor. Thanks in advance.
    OK, honestly, I think anyone that participates in sports should see their Chiropractor on a fairly regular basis, depending on the activity like a Football player (hitting and getting hit, similar to a daily car accident) should go at least 1 x per week, but your average athlete 1 x month is just fine.

    Now with that being said, your problem sounds to me like it is a lack of flexibility in your hamstrings, which when they get tight will pull directly on your low back making it get sore, stretch out the Hammies daily and work on increasing their flexibility and that problem should go away!
    Dr. Albert Scott Representative for FINAFLEX
    www.finaflex.com
    Redefine Yourself..... REDEFINE EVERYTHING!
  25. Registered User
    sapentia's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    137
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyDoc View Post
    OK, honestly, I think anyone that participates in sports should see their Chiropractor on a fairly regular basis, depending on the activity like a Football player (hitting and getting hit, similar to a daily car accident) should go at least 1 x per week, but your average athlete 1 x month is just fine.

    Now with that being said, your problem sounds to me like it is a lack of flexibility in your hamstrings, which when they get tight will pull directly on your low back making it get sore, stretch out the Hammies daily and work on increasing their flexibility and that problem should go away!
    Thanks for the quick feedback Scotty!
  26. Registered User
    warhammer44's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  255 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    7
    Answers
    0


    Dr. Scott,

    Very cool thread! I am a chiropractic student at Logan College of Chiropractic in St. Louis. Im in my 2nd trimester. Ive been a chiropractic patient my whole life through high school and collegiate football and track and field. I am very excited to be a doctor soon. Any tips, tricks or just conversations you would like to have, I am all ears! Thanks
  27. Registered User
    Rahl's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Age
    39
    Posts
    2,383
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyDoc View Post
    OK, honestly, I think anyone that participates in sports should see their Chiropractor on a fairly regular basis, depending on the activity like a Football player (hitting and getting hit, similar to a daily car accident) should go at least 1 x per week, but your average athlete 1 x month is just fine.

    Now with that being said, your problem sounds to me like it is a lack of flexibility in your hamstrings, which when they get tight will pull directly on your low back making it get sore, stretch out the Hammies daily and work on increasing their flexibility and that problem should go away!
    This right here. ^^ I've had that issue and getting more flexibility in my hammies made all of the difference in the world.
  28. Registered User
    ScottyDoc's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,765
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by warhammer44 View Post
    Dr. Scott,

    Very cool thread! I am a chiropractic student at Logan College of Chiropractic in St. Louis. Im in my 2nd trimester. Ive been a chiropractic patient my whole life through high school and collegiate football and track and field. I am very excited to be a doctor soon. Any tips, tricks or just conversations you would like to have, I am all ears! Thanks
    Chiropractic is AWESOME, just realize it is a hard way to make a living in this day and age and economy! If you don't already know, there is no $-Money-$ in working for another doctor, the money is in owning and running your own practice which is hard to start in this economy, but well worth the efforts! So with that being said, make sure you are not just limited to Chiropractic, most successful Chiro's incorporate something else into the mix to guarantee their success! For example one friend has an MD working in his office and does all different sorts of Bioidentical and Hormone Replacement therapies as well as a bunch of different vitamins, nutrients and therapies for the Adrenals. Another friend of mine is also a certified Trainer & Massage Therapist with his Bachelors in Sports Medicine, he incorporates all that and mainly treats athletes (high school, college, & Pro's). I myself am in the part-time Nursing program at a local college and once I achieve my bachelors I will further it to my DNP (Doctor of Nurse Practitioner) That way I will pretty much be able to do anything a general practitioner MD can do and I would like to work along side a Orthopedic Surgeon or Group and incorporate all I know to that office or group! That is my advice, Good Luck to you my friend!


    Dr. Albert Scott Representative for FINAFLEX
    www.finaflex.com
    Redefine Yourself..... REDEFINE EVERYTHING!
  29. Registered User
    tromcom's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4
    Answers
    0

    ScottyDoc


    Thanks for the thread. I'm also in the ATL. I saw your gyno surgery photo and was wondering if you could advise where you had it done?
    Thanks
  30. Registered User
    warhammer44's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  255 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    7
    Answers
    0


    Thanks Doc! I plan on getting a Masters in Nutrition and I also want to get certified in acupuncture. I plan on getting in with a Dr. that is getting ready to retire, or start up a clinic with several other docs. And yes chiropractic is awesome!
  31. Registered User
    newman897's Avatar
    Stats
    6'7"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    187
    Answers
    0

    subluxations


    hey doc i recently went to the chiropractor after being in pain for about 1 1/2 years. I always thought I pulled a muscle because the pain would come and go. its always the worst in the morning when get out of bed. Turns out i have some subluxations in my upper back on my right side right under my shoulder blade is where the pain is. The doctor i saw sad my bad posture in my neck was causing it. Anyway i get my back and neck cracked 3 times a week for the next 3 months and i was wondering if there were any stretches i could preform on my own time to help increase the mobility of the area ?


    if it matters im 25 years old 6'7 225
  32. Registered User
    ScottyDoc's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,765
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by newman897 View Post
    hey doc i recently went to the chiropractor after being in pain for about 1 1/2 years. I always thought I pulled a muscle because the pain would come and go. its always the worst in the morning when get out of bed. Turns out i have some subluxations in my upper back on my right side right under my shoulder blade is where the pain is. The doctor i saw sad my bad posture in my neck was causing it. Anyway i get my back and neck cracked 3 times a week for the next 3 months and i was wondering if there were any stretches i could preform on my own time to help increase the mobility of the area ?


    if it matters im 25 years old 6'7 225
    My first suggestion is to run that exact question by your CHIRO, he is the one treating you and I really don't want to step on anyone's toes here. But I will tell you a neck stretch that should help you out a lot, again run this advice by him first, as he might have a different plan in mind for you. Anyway, I recommend you do this stretch every single day... 3 x's a day for 5 minutes each time. It may make your neck sore at first, but will help re-balance the natural cervical curve in your neck, which from what you are telling me I am pretty sure is your problem. Lay on your back on your bed with your head handing off the bed and just relax and let gravity do the work for 5 mins at a time. Kind of like when you were young and maybe laid on the couch watching tv upside down, also, while doing this put a pillow under your knees to keep them propped up in the air a little, knees not your feet, and this will help keep any unnecessary pressure off your low back as well. If you are not sure what I am talking about just ask and I'll try to explain it better.
    Dr. Albert Scott Representative for FINAFLEX
    www.finaflex.com
    Redefine Yourself..... REDEFINE EVERYTHING!
  33. Registered User
    ScottyDoc's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,765
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by tromcom View Post
    Thanks for the thread. I'm also in the ATL. I saw your gyno surgery photo and was wondering if you could advise where you had it done?
    Thanks
    I had my surgery done at Thomas Cosmetic Surgery Center somewhere off of Jimmy Carter Blvd, I think that is in Atlanta, or right on the outskirts of the city near I-85 & I-285. Here is their email address... thomascenter@hotmail.com I hope this helps bro, I think they did a fantastic job to be honest with you, they went in by making their incision around the outer edge of my nipples and yes I can see a scar, but only because I know it is there, others do not see or notice it at all, it blends in with my nipple line almost perfectly... I mean you tell me, can you see it in any of my other pictures, look in my picture gallery??? All the pictures of me in my picture gallery were after the surgery!
    Dr. Albert Scott Representative for FINAFLEX
    www.finaflex.com
    Redefine Yourself..... REDEFINE EVERYTHING!
  34. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    EasyEJL's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    46
    Posts
    31,867
    Answers
    0


    so far the art/graston is helping. it has reduced the normal day to day irritation (it wasn't constant pain, but just moving certain ways used to cause more pain) and has increased what i'd call my "pain endurance" during workouts. not how much pain I get and can handle, but how long into the workout it is before pain starts. I'm back to where I can work chest hard enough to get DOMS, which is sort of nice
    This space for rent

    Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  35. Registered User
    ScottyDoc's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,765
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    so far the art/graston is helping. it has reduced the normal day to day irritation (it wasn't constant pain, but just moving certain ways used to cause more pain) and has increased what i'd call my "pain endurance" during workouts. not how much pain I get and can handle, but how long into the workout it is before pain starts. I'm back to where I can work chest hard enough to get DOMS, which is sort of nice
    Awesome Bro, sounds like it is working, just keep it up, I am happy for you Bro!!!
    Dr. Albert Scott Representative for FINAFLEX
    www.finaflex.com
    Redefine Yourself..... REDEFINE EVERYTHING!
  36. Registered User
    newman897's Avatar
    Stats
    6'7"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    187
    Answers
    0


    I totally understand what your saying thanks for the advice. Ill tell him CHRIO tomorrow about it. That is what my problem is my head sits to far forward and my neck isnt curved right.
  37. Registered User
    ScottyDoc's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,765
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by newman897 View Post
    I totally understand what your saying thanks for the advice. Ill tell him CHRIO tomorrow about it. That is what my problem is my head sits to far forward and my neck isnt curved right.
    Good Plan Bro, remember structure affects function and function affects structure... they go hand-in-hand, get them both right and you are GOLDEN!!!
    Dr. Albert Scott Representative for FINAFLEX
    www.finaflex.com
    Redefine Yourself..... REDEFINE EVERYTHING!
  38. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    EasyEJL's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    46
    Posts
    31,867
    Answers
    0


    so my chirpractor told me something interesting during today's ART/graston torture session. He said that if I can avoid it, I should never do overhead shoulder presses or any other overhead move to where my elbows raise higher than my shoulder. He explained how the delt easily starts to overpower the rotator muscles which would normally keep it in place, and when the arm starts to go above parallel to the floor is when the humerus is pulling out of the rotator cuff the hardest. I just wanted to check in and see what y'all thought.
    This space for rent

    Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  39. Registered User
    sapentia's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    137
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    so my chirpractor told me something interesting during today's ART/graston torture session. He said that if I can avoid it, I should never do overhead shoulder presses or any other overhead move to where my elbows raise higher than my shoulder. He explained how the delt easily starts to overpower the rotator muscles which would normally keep it in place, and when the arm starts to go above parallel to the floor is when the humerus is pulling out of the rotator cuff the hardest. I just wanted to check in and see what y'all thought.
    That would make it difficult to work shoulders, but I am interested in feedback on this too. It seems to me like proper alignment in the lift technique might address some of this but I have no scientific basis for that. But if the weight is on proper line with the body it should put less strain on the rotator cuffs, however, the more the weight is located eccentrically forward or back it would seem that it would proportionally strain the rotator cuff.

    I've got heavy seated DB shoulder presses today too!
  40. Registered User
    ScottyDoc's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,765
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    so my chirpractor told me something interesting during today's ART/graston torture session. He said that if I can avoid it, I should never do overhead shoulder presses or any other overhead move to where my elbows raise higher than my shoulder. He explained how the delt easily starts to overpower the rotator muscles which would normally keep it in place, and when the arm starts to go above parallel to the floor is when the humerus is pulling out of the rotator cuff the hardest. I just wanted to check in and see what y'all thought.
    OK... I want to word this properly... He is right, but that is not a very practical answer to the problem and in my opinion a tad extreme! What I mean by him being right is what Easy described him saying is accurate, the delt does start to overpower the rotator cuff muscles and when you do a military press the humerus is pulling on the rotator cuffs the hardest, but our bodies were designed to lift overhead, therefore I believe if you take the right precautions knowing this fact (as in work just as hard to strengthen the rotator cuff muscles as you do to work the delts) you can counteract future problems. I mean my shoulders have a tendency to be rolled forward and when I was in Chiropractic school many moons ago, I asked one of my professors what I could do and he said never workout my chest or biceps and concentrate on my triceps and and back and after a year or two it would correct itself, I did not listen, but heard him, so I started doing chest and biceps light and for high reps, while I continued to train my back and triceps heavy and sure enough after about 3yrs it did correct itself. So with that being said, maybe if one is experiencing shoulder pain, workout your rotator cuffs light weight high reps twice a week and only do heavy military presses every other week, to let one catch up to the other. Well that is my take on it anyway!
    Dr. Albert Scott Representative for FINAFLEX
    www.finaflex.com
    Redefine Yourself..... REDEFINE EVERYTHING!
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. b12 and joint pain
    By Mad_Scientist in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-08-2010, 04:29 PM
  2. Joint Pain
    By wesb2387 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-15-2009, 12:57 PM
  3. Joint pain E2?
    By rfish1966 in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 05-25-2007, 12:44 PM
  4. GVT and Joint Pain
    By ironviking in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-07-2003, 10:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in