Chiropractic / Musculoskeletal / Joint pain Q & A...

Page 3 of 13 First 12345 ... Last

1. The wife and I were just talking about getting massages...we are both well past due for one. Thanks doc for the insight.

2. Doctor Scott, this is really generous of you. Iíve been perusing AM for several months now and became a member a couple months ago but have never posted. Up until your offer I was just content soaking up all the info and learning as much as I can.

Anyhow, maybe you might be able to help me with a minor issue I have with my shoulders. I first noticed it a few years ago when swimming under water. I feel and hear a crepitus-like sensation in both shoulders when Iím swimming under water. Up until recently this wasnít noticeable other than in the pool. And It is becoming more intense and annoying as time goes by. Now I can put my hand over my shoulder while I rotate the joint and feel some minor crackling and little popping. Thereís usually no pain and I canít hear anything. Itís only a sensation at this point. However I do have a habit of hurting one of my shoulders in the gym on occasion. It heals in a few days with rest. The shoulder injuries appear to correlate to intense shoulder isolation exercises either before or after inadequate rest between other upper body core workouts.

Thanks so much for any suggestions or thoughts. Appreciated.
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by chunkymon View Post
    Doctor Scott, this is really generous of you. Iíve been perusing AM for several months now and became a member a couple months ago but have never posted. Up until your offer I was just content soaking up all the info and learning as much as I can.

Anyhow, maybe you might be able to help me with a minor issue I have with my shoulders. I first noticed it a few years ago when swimming under water. I feel and hear a crepitus-like sensation in both shoulders when Iím swimming under water. Up until recently this wasnít noticeable other than in the pool. And It is becoming more intense and annoying as time goes by. Now I can put my hand over my shoulder while I rotate the joint and feel some minor crackling and little popping. Thereís usually no pain and I canít hear anything. Itís only a sensation at this point. However I do have a habit of hurting one of my shoulders in the gym on occasion. It heals in a few days with rest. The shoulder injuries appear to correlate to intense shoulder isolation exercises either before or after inadequate rest between other upper body core workouts.

Thanks so much for any suggestions or thoughts. Appreciated.
    OK, just so you know you are not in front of me, I can't exactly get a full history, definitely can't see any x-rays or perform any necessary orthopedics tests, but I will do my best from what you are telling me.

I need some more past history about sports you may have played, anything upper body intensive to explain what sounds to me like scar tissue that has built up in your shoulders. Almost all weight lifters, football players, baseball players, and other upper body dominant athletes that have been doing what they do for any extensive length of time (approx. 5-10yrs).

If it is not causing any pain I would not be so worried that it is making a sound or that there is scar tissue in there (most common reason for crepitus sounds in a joint). I would just know that there has been some wear & tear in that area of your body and you need to warm it up properly, even before swimming, stretch it once it is warm, do strengthening exercises for your rotator cuff muscles, and if there is any soreness or you believe it has been sprained/strained then you want to ice immediately after.

Answer my above Q (more about past history) and let me know if you are still feeling the crepitus as well as hearing it even after warming up properly, not during warm-up, will probably always hear it then (only surgery can get rid of scar tissue, which is what I believe it is).
    Dr. Albert Scott Representative for FINAFLEX
    www.finaflex.com
    Redefine Yourself..... REDEFINE EVERYTHING!

4. Chunkymon,

Hey bro, check out this other thread I had started a few months back it was specifically about shoulder injuries, the thread has kind of died, but there is quite a bit of information that is right up your alley if you read through it... Shoulder Injuries?
    www.finaflex.com

5. Thanks Dr. Scott. And I completely understand the limitations of this communication in regards to anything along the lines of diagnosis or treatment. What you have given is great and much appreciated.

In regards to my hx. I have been involved in athletics most of my life but this involvement was primarily lower body movements and nothing really upper body intensive. I played soccer for about 25 years continuously and did things like long distant running. I did play a lot of basketball and a year of football but that was all in my teens. And I golf and will play any sport I have a chance to do like racquetball or water polo. I just like sports but Iíve never really done anything upper body intensive, just mess around. Iím 36 now. My intuition tells me this shoulder ďweirdnessĒ is related to lifting which I began seriously about ten years ago albeit I went through significant periods without visiting the gym d/t school, fam, life stuff. But I have been hitting the gym hard for the last 8 months and this seems to correlate.

I should say that I never lift cold and always do cardio until I have a good sweat going which is anywhere between 30 and 40 minutes and I try to involve upper body movement during this warm up period. I love to row for example. Then Iíll lift for about 40 minutes and cool down in steam room. But I hadnít thought to warm up before swimming. My swimming usually involves taking my little daughter to various hot springs pools around where I live so Iíve never really thought about warming up since Iím just soaking or playing with kid.

After warmup. I wonít visit the gym again until tomorrow but Iíve decided to take a week off of upper body movements to rest up before a new training program. Iíll just be doing cardio. But from recollection, the crepitus and sensation is still present after warm up.

I just noticed your other post with the link. Iíll check it out now. Just wanted to respond to your info and question. Thanks again for your time.
    •   

6. Quote Originally Posted by chunkymon View Post
    Thanks Dr. Scott. And I completely understand the limitations of this communication in regards to anything along the lines of diagnosis or treatment. What you have given is great and much appreciated.
    Anytime Bro, this is why I posted this to help people the best way I can. I can't heal/fix people's problems from my laptop, but I can definitely give sound, non-biased advice that can help individuals on their way to recovery. Besides, helping others is what I love to do, it makes me happy and I'm good at it (not conceited, just saying it is easy to be good at something you love and are passionate about). My passion is knowledge on the human body and using that knowledge to help people!
    www.finaflex.com

7. Quote Originally Posted by ScottyDoc View Post
    helping others is what I love to do, it makes me happy and I'm good at it (not conceited, just saying it is easy to be good at something you love and are passionate about). My passion is knowledge on the human body and using that knowledge to help people!
    I understand completely. You get instant gratification every day. Most jobs aren't like that.

8. Wakey... wakey... Hands off the Snakey!!! Where are my Questions?
    www.finaflex.com

9. Haha! Thanks for bumping this!

rib subluxation- any tips on getting these ****ers back into place on your own? The ribs near my shoulder blade pop out of place all the time and for the most part I can just roll on a dumbbell and they pop back in. Some times I need to go see my chiropractor... This last time I had to go see my chiro and he got good adjustment but as soon as I got home they popped out.

10. Quote Originally Posted by StakedCop View Post
    Haha! Thanks for bumping this!

rib subluxation- any tips on getting these ****ers back into place on your own? The ribs near my shoulder blade pop out of place all the time and for the most part I can just roll on a dumbbell and they pop back in. Some times I need to go see my chiropractor... This last time I had to go see my chiro and he got good adjustment but as soon as I got home they popped out.
    That is a good question, hard to answer though! See the adjustment is like 2nd nature to me, so easy, but not something I could really explain over the computer. My personal suggestion is to continue seeing your chiro, safest bet. If you are desperate to not continue using your chiro, there are some pretty good how to videos on YouTube, type in "rib adjustment" just remember it looks easier to do than it really is when you are not use to doing them.
    www.finaflex.com

11. Quote Originally Posted by ScottyDoc View Post
    That is a good question, hard to answer though! See the adjustment is like 2nd nature to me, so easy, but not something I could really explain over the computer. My personal suggestion is to continue seeing your chiro, safest bet. If you are desperate to not continue using your chiro, there are some pretty good how to videos on YouTube, type in "rib adjustment" just remember it looks easier to do than it really is when you are not use to doing them.
    My chiro showed me some moves and they ALMOST always work. Last week I swear I must have popped out every rib on my right side. Went for an adjustment since the pain was so god awful and like I said he fixed me up but the popped right back out.

I'll check out the YouTube vids though

My shoulders crack... I mean they crack loud and a lot. I'm sure this is common among weight litters but is there any exercises / stretches I can do so I'm not completely fuc*ed as I get older (23 now) or is the damage done? I take joint support and 10 grams fish oil a day. So far the fish oil is the only supp that seemed to help.

12. Quote Originally Posted by StakedCop View Post
    My chiro showed me some moves and they ALMOST always work. Last week I swear I must have popped out every rib on my right side. Went for an adjustment since the pain was so god awful and like I said he fixed me up but the popped right back out.

I'll check out the YouTube vids though

My shoulders crack... I mean they crack loud and a lot. I'm sure this is common among weight litters but is there any exercises / stretches I can do so I'm not completely fuc*ed as I get older (23 now) or is the damage done? I take joint support and 10 grams fish oil a day. So far the fish oil is the only supp that seemed to help.
    Go see my other post on Shoulder injuries, read through this and you will see all kinds of help to different shoulder problems including many different exercises, etc.

Shoulder Injuries?
    www.finaflex.com

13. I don't know if you're a fan of foam rolling to loosen muscles. *But maybe you could answer this

Should foam rolling be done before or after lifting, if I only have time to do it once? *I'm doing squats today and my hips and hams are tight so I was gonna do some rolling before the gym

14. Good info in here. I'm battling back problems right now and the chiropractor is working on me. Sucks big time and I go through this about once per year
    Recoverbro Elite
    "This is what we've been working on"

15. Quote Originally Posted by StakedCop View Post
    I don't know if you're a fan of foam rolling to loosen muscles. *But maybe you could answer this

Should foam rolling be done before or after lifting, if I only have time to do it once? *I'm doing squats today and my hips and hams are tight so I was gonna do some rolling before the gym
    First off, excellent question, foam rolling for tight and/or cramping muscles is awesome! I personally think that foam rolling serves it purpose best as a post workout therapy to loosen tight muscles. Pre-workout therapies would be some type of physical activity to raise the body's core temperature and specifically pump more blood to the area/body part preparing to exercise!
    www.finaflex.com

16. Quote Originally Posted by ScottyDoc View Post
    First off, excellent question, foam rolling for tight and/or cramping muscles is awesome! I personally think that foam rolling serves it purpose best as a post workout therapy to loosen tight muscles. Pre-workout therapies would be some type of physical activity to raise the body's core temperature and specifically pump more blood to the area/body part preparing to exercise!
    Great advice, as always!

I normally do 5-10 min warm up on stationary bike but yesterday my hams and hips were so tight I decided to a few mins of foam rolling. I was worried the tightness was going to ruin my leg workout and I wanted to insure a good workout. because we all live for leg day, right?!!! Lol anyway, had a good workout and didn't feel as tight but I got 2 reps less on most my squats... Do you think the loss of strength is directly related to the pre workout foam rolling?

My personal chiro says do NOT stretch immediately before lifting. Would you agree? And if so why?

17. Quote Originally Posted by StakedCop View Post
    Great advice, as always!

I normally do 5-10 min warm up on stationary bike but yesterday my hams and hips were so tight I decided to a few mins of foam rolling. I was worried the tightness was going to ruin my leg workout and I wanted to insure a good workout. because we all live for leg day, right?!!! Lol anyway, had a good workout and didn't feel as tight but I got 2 reps less on most my squats... Do you think the loss of strength is directly related to the pre workout foam rolling?

My personal chiro says do NOT stretch immediately before lifting. Would you agree? And if so why?
    It is possible, but I would blame it on your unusual tightness and/or whatever may have caused you to be abnormally tight to begin with.

Ahaaa... Ahaaa!!!
    www.finaflex.com

18. Quote Originally Posted by ScottyDoc View Post
    It is possible, but I would blame it on your unusual tightness and/or whatever may have caused you to be abnormally tight to begin with.
    Holy fast response batman!!

My hams are always tight I just learned about foam rolling and I'm addicted to it! It has loosened up my hams a good amount but they get tight again just as fast. Since I started my SI joint hasn't bothered me nearly as much. I just have to stay on top of this...

19. Quote Originally Posted by ScottyDoc View Post
    Completely agree here^^^

20. Quote Originally Posted by ryansm View Post
    Completely agree here^^^
    Thank you sir... You are both a gentleman and a scholar, LOL!
    www.finaflex.com

21. Quote Originally Posted by StakedCop View Post
    Holy fast response batman!!

My hams are always tight I just learned about foam rolling and I'm addicted to it! It has loosened up my hams a good amount but they get tight again just as fast. Since I started my SI joint hasn't bothered me nearly as much. I just have to stay on top of this...
    Definitely a good idea to stay on top of it, but like I said previously, I would look at warming it up differently (sauna/mild cardio for a few mins) and foam roll it after/post workout. For your warm up, just do something that gets you to a point where you are prespiring and you are doing something to actively bring blood to the Hams!
    www.finaflex.com

22. Alright Scott bud? "the great brit here" long time, just popped in to see if you have any advice for my elbows, they crick and crack in every direction, occationaly I have to wingle them just to straighten. It seems to me I have tennis elbow AND golf elbow, they not painfull but just very sticky and a little crunchy, when I try to lock the elbow sometimes I cant because they jam up a little.

Ive stopped lifting weights for 2 months now, I already do:

light wrist flexion with 6kg X 30rep
    extension with 3kg x 30 rep
    horisontal wrist flexion 3kg X 30 rep
    twisting 3kg x 50 rep OR with a broom stick x 2mins

I also stretch my wrists flexed and extended almost every day. They improved a bit the first few weeks but its been about 6 weeks now and if they dont improve more I think I might have to give up weight lifting all together bro! . Im only 27! help!

Ive applied to join the British Army aswell bro so I need all the help I can get, but dont mention it on fb please.

P.S Thanks to you and Bezoe my spine is in the best shape ever these days, nice and straight (Im almost an inch taller sometimes) and that pain on the left side in the rhomboid region hasnt troubled me since, which is a mirracle!

23. Quote Originally Posted by JohnBrinks View Post
    Alright Scott bud? "the GREAT-BRIT here" long time, just popped in to see if you have any advice for my elbows, they crick and crack in every direction, occasionally I have to wiggle them just to straighten. It seems to me I have tennis elbow AND golf elbow, they not painful but just very sticky and a little crunchy, when I try to lock the elbow sometimes I cant because they jam up a little.

I've stopped lifting weights for 2 months now, I already do:

light wrist flexion with 6kg X 30rep
    extension with 3kg x 30 rep
    horisontal wrist flexion 3kg X 30 rep
    twisting 3kg x 50 rep OR with a broom stick x 2mins

I also stretch my wrists flexed and extended almost every day. They improved a bit the first few weeks but its been about 6 weeks now and if they dont improve more I think I might have to give up weight lifting all together bro! . Im only 27! help!
    We night need to get Bezoe's help on this one, kind of sounds like joint crepitus..."Definition: Crepitus is a symptom characterized by a crackling or grating feeling or sound under the skin, around the lungs or in the joints. In soft tissues, crepitus is often due to gas, most often air, that has abnormally penetrated and infiltrated an area (for example, in the soft tissues beneath the skin)." I'm not really sure if there is much more you can do about it than you already are doing. I mean it is very common amongst heavy lifters and people in contact sports or people that have been involved in car accidents and severe traumas, etc. All I can really say is if it is not painful, I wouldn't worry so much about it, although I will agree it is kind of young for that to have started already, more common amongst my older patients, mid-thirties and up, not that I consider that old, I'm turning 37 this May 22nd (FYI) and I have it in both shoulders and both elbows, more so in my left shoulder and left elbow, but it only truly concerns me if pain is associated with it, which means inflammation! I would really like to hear Bezoe's opinion on this one, I'll send him a PM with a link.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBrinks View Post
    I've applied to join the British Army as well bro so I need all the help I can get, but dont mention it on fb please.
    Mums the word... As a matter of fact...I have no idea what you are talking about???

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBrinks View Post
    P.S Thanks to you and Bezoe my spine is in the best shape ever these days, nice and straight (Im almost an inch taller sometimes) and that pain on the left side in the rhomboid region has'nt troubled me since, which is a miracle!
    Glad to be of Help Brotha, hopefully we can get you through this one too!!!
    www.finaflex.com

24. Well first of all, I totally agree with Doc- if its not reproducing pain, its a little less worrisome. BUT.. you are a young gun and this shouldnt be happening.

Questions:
    - Is it both elbows?
    - Any particular time of day it happens the most?
    - Have you traumatized your elbows at all? (car wreck, sports injury, fall etc.)
    - Do you have trouble with any other joints?
    - When did it start?

Tennis and golf elbow, known as lateral and medial epicondylitis, repectively, dont seem to be whats going on. You would have achy, maybe even sharp muscular pain with activity.

Without being able to physically examine your elbows, I cant come to a specific diagnosis.. (its not technically within my scope, but I have the knowledge to do it). I need to know the answers to these questions and also how much water do you take in every day and are you on any medications?
    Suffer now.. and live like a champion later.

25. Quote Originally Posted by bezoe View Post
    how much water do you take in every day and are you on any medications?
    That is actually a good point, as in are you adequately hydrated and the medications is a biggy too! There are a lot of medications out there that are known to cause symptoms/side effects of joint pain, sore, swollen, or just crepitus (grinding noise in the joint, usually due to scar tissue).

On a side note, are you taking any Glucosamine, Chondroitin, MSM, and your EFA's (Omega 3,6,& 9's)? If not you should be, extremely good for overall joint health.
    www.finaflex.com

26. Wonder what the job is? Repetitive motion, maybe repetitive gripping???

27. Quote Originally Posted by celc5 View Post
    Wonder what the job is? Repetitive motion, maybe repetitive gripping???
    Yo... JB... more good questions here???
    www.finaflex.com
  28. Never enough

I'm just putting this post in as a placeholder, so I remember to come back later and ask a question when I see it in my subscription list
    Animis Rep
    facebook.com/xAnimis
    animis.org/forum

29. Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    I'm just putting this post in as a placeholder, so I remember to come back later and ask a question when I see it in my subscription list
    Ask away Bro , that is why we are here, we really seem to have a good team of guys here on this thread... all doing our best to help our fellow meat-heads stay in the gym and reach their potential health goals!
    www.finaflex.com
  30. Never enough

well, I have a pain in my right shoulder joint that is bothersome unless I get my arms at very specific angles, and they are different for each press type. it seems like it may be rotator cuff or related as if I stick my arms straight out then bend at the elbows so my hands point straight down and then rotate my forearm upwards I get hideously horrible momentary pain at maybe 15-20 degrees up from straight down. The pain is stabbing and extend from the underarm side of the joint to midway up the bicep (straight along the bone). And when I say horrible pain, I mean it, I have high pain tolerance, used to get my fillings done at the dentist without novacain. This is almost as bad as the moment you sprain an ankle. What is a little odd though is that for press movements, the pain is more on the front delt side, and a bit higher. Before I started doing rotation specific movements (db power cleans) that pain on the front delt portion coincided with a spot that was pretty tender to the touch as well. Now that i've been doing those db cleans on both chest + shoulder days although the presses seem to hurt just as much as ever, that spot isn't very painful to touch anymore.

Now for some fill in, i'm 43, was diagnosed with knee and lower back arthritis at 25, thumb arthritis about at 40-41, and none of my joints or tendons are very good.
    Animis Rep
    facebook.com/xAnimis
    animis.org/forum
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. b12 and joint pain
    By Mad_Scientist in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-08-2010, 05:29 PM
  2. Joint Pain
    By wesb2387 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 17