How do you guys feel about a routine like this one for bulking

* Overhead Dumbbell or Barbell Press: 2 sets of 8 to 10 reps
* Squats: 3 sets of 8 to 12 reps
* Barbell or Dumbbell Flat Bench Press : 3 sets of 8 reps
* Chins or Bent Over Barbell Rows: 3 sets of 8 to 12 reps
* Dips or Close Grip Bench Press : 1 to 2 sets of 8 reps
* Barbell or Dumbbell Curls: 1 to 2 sets of 8 reps
* Standing or Donkey Calf Raises: 2 to 3 sets of 12 to 20 reps

Do this Mon/Wed/Fri. I know this is a typical nooby routine but I hear it can do wonders for even experienced lifters.

I have never tried a full body routine before. I have always stuck with a 4 day split, changing it up every few months. I hear some ppl say a routine such as this one is proven to be one of the best routines for putting on mass. I am starting a basic bulking cycle in 2 weeks: 750mg test e, kickstart with 5 weeks of dbol @ 30-40mgED. Would doing this routine on gear be under acheiving possible gains in your guys opinions?

cheers

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
Persoanlly i wouldn't do this routine except one day a week. Or a day before 2 or 3 of rest. I just don't think the right lifts are there for a full body day. Also i don't like them becasue it's hard to go heavy the whole time and you may face injury to to being tired/loss of focus. I would try
full upper/off/off/legs/off/upper/off. Even that i would be hesitant. The diet has to be on point and make sure you don't push through a weak day. It is nice bacue it takes away a day at the gym but it sucks becasue it's hader to go strong the whoel time IMO.

EDIT: I just noticed the gear. WEll you'll be able to go stronger i guess but then overtraining is more chancy IMO becasue there are other forces pushing you. If you focus more on spreading it out you'll be able to gain more in theory becasue your body will better focus on recovery with the supplied "stuff" as any situation. Especially on a bulk. Food and recovery is key.

SteelEntity

SteelEntity

Awards
  • Established
yeah I hear you. There are so many mixed opinions though I may just have to try it because I need to know. Mick Hart swears by this program along with other top trainers. I know it is all based on the individual though. This is the other routine I was looking at.. not very different from the current one I am on.

Day 1 : Chest and Back
Chest
Flat Barbell Bench Press : 2 x 6-8 reps
Low Incline Dumbbell Press : 2 x 6-8 reps
Dips : 2 x 6-8 reps

Back
Chin ups : 2 x 6-8 reps
Deadlifts : 2 x 6-8 reps
Barbell Rows : 2 x 6-8 reps
Shrugs : 1 x 10 reps

Day 2 : OFF

Day 3 : Legs
Squats : 2 x 6-8 reps
Hack Squats : 2 x 6-8 reps
Leg Curls : 2 x 6-8 reps
Straight Legged Deadlifts : 2 x 6-8 reps
Standing Calve Raises : 4 x 10 reps

Day 4 : OFF
Day 5 : Shoulders, Triceps and Biceps
Shoulders
Military Press in Rack : 2 x 6-8 reps
Seated Dumbbell Press : 2 x 6-8 reps
Standing Lateral Raises : 2 x 10 reps

Triceps :
Narrow Grip bench Press : 2 x 6-8 reps
French Press : 2 x 6-8 reps

Biceps :
Barbell Curls : 2 x 6-8 reps
Hammer Curls : 1 x 6-8 reps

Day 6 : OFF
Day 7 : OFF

SteelEntity

SteelEntity

Awards
  • Established
that was my exact routine that I have been using for 3 months now... time for a change is all.

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
It's tough to say but i'd def keep a 3-4 day split going. I think almost full body will be a regretful decision. Especially if half way through you can't keep goin strong and have to cut it short or break for to many days. what about a 5x5 routine.?

SteelEntity

SteelEntity

Awards
  • Established
yeah I have decided to do a 5x5 routine 4 day split. I will be using the 5x5 technique only with compound movements - squats, presses etc. Keeping iso movements at 2-3 sets @ 8-10 reps.

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
yeah I have decided to do a 5x5 routine 4 day split. I will be using the 5x5 technique only with compound movements - squats, presses etc. Keeping iso movements at 2-3 sets @ 8-10 reps.
Keep us updated.

Fatal Wisdom

Fatal Wisdom

Awards
  • Established
You guys believe in more compound excercises than isolation?

I usually do chest/tris

day 2 off

day 3 back/bis

day 4 shoulders/traps

day 5 off

day 6 legs

day 7 off

I've been reading alot about HIT programs lately though

Is what im doing stupid for bulking?

SteelEntity

SteelEntity

Awards
  • Established

I usually do chest/tris

day 2 off

day 3 back/bis

day 4 shoulders/traps

day 5 off

day 6 legs

day 7 off

Is what im doing stupid for bulking?[/Qu

I keep my iso excerises to a bare minimum, especially while bulking. Their are 2 types of ppl who have a routine consisting of mainly isolation movements: Big guys trying to shape up, chicks, and skinny little boys who roll up their T-shirt sleeves while doing curls. I swear to god when I see these teenage skinny little guys doing arms EVERYDAY and looking at them selves in the mirror I wan't to seriously kick some ass. Hell, I ain't even on gear too, HA.

Fatal Wisdom

Fatal Wisdom

Awards
  • Established

I usually do chest/tris

day 2 off

day 3 back/bis

day 4 shoulders/traps

day 5 off

day 6 legs

day 7 off

Is what im doing stupid for bulking?[/Qu

I keep my iso excerises to a bare minimum, especially while bulking. Their are 2 types of ppl who have a routine consisting of mainly isolation movements: Big guys trying to shape up, chicks, and skinny little boys who roll up their T-shirt sleeves while doing curls. I swear to god when I see these teenage skinny little guys doing arms EVERYDAY and looking at them selves in the mirror I wan't to seriously kick some ass. Hell, I ain't even on gear too, HA.

HAHAH, Yeah see i'm just getting into the whole science and what not..damn so you think I should switch it up to something maybe like

Chest shoulders tricepts.

Back/quads calves/

low rep sets of 2 for each? and 3 days of rest inbetween each?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Chest shoulders tricepts.

Back/quads calves/

low rep sets of 2 for each? and 3 days of rest inbetween each?
I tend to think you do better with 5 sets relatively fast with sub 1 min breaks between - something like 12/10/8/6/12 reps with weights increasing up to the 6, and back down for the last 12. I feel it does more hypertrophy with less chance of overtraining/tendon/joint damage as you are using lighter weights just to make it through that, but still end up at 100% intensity at the end.

But thats just my 2 cents. I agree with the split 100% tho.

votum

votum

Awards
  • Established
How do you guys feel about a routine like this one for bulking

* Overhead Dumbbell or Barbell Press: 2 sets of 8 to 10 reps
* Squats: 3 sets of 8 to 12 reps
* Barbell or Dumbbell Flat Bench Press : 3 sets of 8 reps
* Chins or Bent Over Barbell Rows: 3 sets of 8 to 12 reps
* Dips or Close Grip Bench Press : 1 to 2 sets of 8 reps
* Barbell or Dumbbell Curls: 1 to 2 sets of 8 reps
* Standing or Donkey Calf Raises: 2 to 3 sets of 12 to 20 reps

Do this Mon/Wed/Fri. I know this is a typical nooby routine but I hear it can do wonders for even experienced lifters.

I have never tried a full body routine before. I have always stuck with a 4 day split, changing it up every few months. I hear some ppl say a routine such as this one is proven to be one of the best routines for putting on mass. I am starting a basic bulking cycle in 2 weeks: 750mg test e, kickstart with 5 weeks of dbol @ 30-40mgED. Would doing this routine on gear be under acheiving possible gains in your guys opinions?

cheers
I think on gear you will be fine for 10-12 weeks, however honestly on test I would recommend a split routine with more volume.

Off gear that is a ton of volume for full body, on gear you should be good for awhile.

I will be doing my first run of test-prop, dmz, and deca here shortly and I am looking at a modified GVT, 10x10 in two body parts per day and random accessory lifts for 3x10 or maybe 4x10. I am aiming for 2 hours lifting 3 on 1 off, possibly 4 on 1 off to maximize the effects of the gear.

I think your setup is good though, although I would do squats first as they are the best full body exercise there is. Add deadlifts in somewhere also because deadlifts will work wonders for your back. Maybe only one set since you are already hitting your back with the chins and bo rows. I like DL better than any row though to be honest, its just a little easier on your back, rows hurt like hell once you get to a certain weight, for me its 135, but I can DL 300 comfortably. DL takes the place of rows nicely imo as well.

I'm guessing your doing CL bench/dips for tris, I like the CL bench better becasue its kind of a bitch to get dip grip right for tris, you want it as close as you can get it and I know the dip bars I have available to me are wider, I guess you could take two benches and do seated dips with a plate on your legs or something.

I'm drunk but your routine looks solid with a few minor changes to it :)