Bulking but belly of getting bigger

Firstcycle

Banned
Awards
Have been bulking for the past 4 weeks and strength gains are looking good and getting decent size to me ...but the scale is scaring me before bed I looked and it hit 186. I know my stomach has got a little bigger from all I have been eating ...worried I am getting Too far tho... Plan to put 5 miles a week in to keep the fat at bay.

Audioph1x

Audioph1x

Awards
  • Established
That's just how it goes when you're bulking brother. Don't get scared half way through and f*ck it all up. You're on a bulk, so do it right. Worry about getting lean when you start your cut.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
How much weight have you put on in the 4 weeks?

Also, how does the mirror look in terms of fat?

Firstcycle

Banned
Awards
I started at about 175-177 and lastnight before bed I hit 186 on the scale. ... Mirror my belly and muffin looks a little heavier. Chest and shoulders look better tho

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Naturally, that is a lot of weight in 4 weeks. Even accounting for glycogen and water. I would cut back the cals some. Personally, if one is trying to put lean mass on, I would not try to gain more than 1 pound a month. Yes, a month, not a week. It will be a slower process, but one would not need to spend a long time cutting. Think about it this way, 2 pounds a month is 24 pounds in a year. How much of that, for a natural, do you actually think is muscle?

Firstcycle

Banned
Awards
To be honest I don't know. Have been using legend don't know if that matters I am going to cut cals back and up carsio

Firstcycle

Banned
Awards
I can say I have put on some muscle I know not all that is muscle no doubt lol. Just kills me the ole muffin top is bugging me just keep reminding my self time will get it. It won't go away over night ... I am reping 195 5x5 and still going haven't stopped yet. Goal is to rep 250 for 2 reps before I change anything ..

Zoomie33240

Zoomie33240

Awards
  • Established
Not sure why people didn't mention this but it is a really bad to weigh yourself at night. It's not at all an accurate measure of how much you weigh due to all the food you ate and water retention throughout the day. Weigh yourself in the morning after you have used the bathroom and before you drink anything. Keep doing right after you wake up and it will be much more accurate.

Also, I agree with everyone else; if you are gaining too fast just do cardio.

Firstcycle

Banned
Awards
Yep I did read that after ibwrote this lol thank you tho .and I cut a little food out and started to cardio a small amount

Zoomie33240

Zoomie33240

Awards
  • Established
Yep I did read that after ibwrote this lol thank you tho .and I cut a little food out and started to cardio a small amount
Nice! Good to hear! I do cardio year round to stay lean and I get better gains with cardio than without so don't let cardio scare you on a bulk. It's much better to stay a little bit leaner so you can bulk longer IMO. =) Goodluck!

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
IMHO, do not use the scale as a measure, use the tape measure around your waist. Also, be aware that certain foods will bloat your stomach.

Firstcycle

Banned
Awards
Yeah going to cut my sugars out and go from there.... I lost a lot of belly fat back when I cut and lost a lot of weight so the fat that is lingering around is flabby in a sense. Hard to tighten up takes time

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah going to cut my sugars out and go from there.... I lost a lot of belly fat back when I cut and lost a lot of weight so the fat that is lingering around is flabby in a sense. Hard to tighten up takes time
For me it was dairy and processed sugar. Any ice cream, milk or yogurt would add 2 inches to my waist overnight. Keep fighting!

Firstcycle

Banned
Awards
Yeah it's tough. Yogurt is my protein snack lol. And I mix milk with protein shake. Damnit

Firstcycle

Banned
Awards
It's tough. But going to get it or be a strong fat guy

Zoomie33240

Zoomie33240

Awards
  • Established
Good point on the bloat from food! If I eat any kind of ice cream it kills me with water retention (dairy dangit) but greek yogurt is good to go! Keep it up man! It does take time but it's always worth it.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Not sure why people didn't mention this but it is a really bad to weigh yourself at night. It's not at all an accurate measure of how much you weigh due to all the food you ate and water retention throughout the day. Weigh yourself in the morning after you have used the bathroom and before you drink anything. Keep doing right after you wake up and it will be much more accurate.

Also, I agree with everyone else; if you are gaining too fast just do cardio.
This. Also, I wouldn't weigh yourself daily, if you already do. I would only do it on a weekly basis.

I would start with one or the other. Either cut back cals or cut back food and then go from there. Cardio is not needed from a body comp point of view. It is largely going to come down to cals in vs cals out. I would do cardio for other reasons however.

You do not have to cut sugars. You just need to cut back on cals. You can consume something sugary and still gain lean weight or lose fat. Think of your diet as the 80/20 or 90/10 rule. Read the link below.

http://wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/the-dirt-on-clean-eating/

tristar138

Awards
I have a question for you experienced weight lifters.
I am a 68 year old male turning 69 at the end of the month and I am injecting 200 mgs of testosterone twice a week.
I want to lose weight and put more muscle mass on.
My question is should I increase the amount of testosterone ?
I work out everyday. Nothing super heavy but good for my age.
Health is excellent.
Any suggestions ?

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am a 68 year old male turning 69 at the end of the month and I am injecting 200 mgs of testosterone twice a week.
Health is excellent.
Any suggestions ?
Might want to post this in the Over 35 forum section for more views and help.

oyvind

oyvind

Awards
  • Established
Health is excellent.
Any suggestions ?
Post this in anabolics or over 35, and we'll talk :)

tysons93

Awards
I would do sprints instead of endurance jogging, takes less time and more fun

unreal89

unreal89

Awards
I bulked and now at about 36" waist time to cut back

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
psychologically speaking I could never do a dirty bulk myself. I'd be more inclined to find out what your basis for maintenance is, then just add a clean 500-1k calories over that and experiment from there. But again, I'd be taking in like an extra serving of milk, or eggs, or something along those lines. not cupcakes and fried chicken. I just used to watch a lot of guys dirty bulk like 60lbs then cut down to the exact same stage weight every year and it didn't make any sense to me. so preference for me is to find the body% I like, then clean bulk.

but hey, that's just my 2cents. I also totally get the caloric surplus for performance and strength gains so its just different approaches to the barbell game.