Tips to Fitting in Enough Calories at work

  1. Tips to Fitting in Enough Calories at work


    I work a typical desk job. I wake up at 5:30, take the bus to work.
    I drink a 2 scoop Combat protein shake when I get in at 7:15, and a bowl of oatmeal.
    I go to the gym at 11, and eat lunch immediately when I get back. 1 can of white chicken chili (Campbell's Home Style) and a serving of instant rice.
    I also have about 20 gummy bears before and after the workout to keep my blood sugar up.
    Then I get home at about 4:30 and eat a snack. A 3 egg omelet with some meat usually.
    Then I have dinner. Last night was shrimp scampi, other nights we may have a mexican casserol or something. between 500-1000 calories depending on the meal.
    Then I have a snack in the evening, trail mix and cottage cheese or something.

    The problem is, at the end of the day, i'm barely at 200g of protein, and I've only eaten about 2400 calories. Where do I get my extra 1000 calories and 100g of protein? Do i need mass gainer shakes or something for snacks after breakfast and lunch? I have lots of meetings so eating can be tough, but I am not even sure where to start at this point.

    My goals are 300-400g protein at about 3900 calories. I balance the carbs and fats among the remaining calories after protein.
    Last edited by modmustang97g; 03-06-2015 at 11:23 AM. Reason: more detail


  2. Honestly man, you have it made!! When I have a desk job, I can't stop eating. I now work physical labor, and literally am not able to get off my scaffold to go eat every 2 hours.

    It just sounds like you need to get used to eating more. I can only assume you're bulking at 3400 cal. In which case, go buy a gainer shake such as ON Pro Complex Gainer. 650 cal, 60g protein, 85g complex carbs. 2 of those and you are at 1300 cal right there.

    The more you push your body, the more it gets used to it, the more you will be able to eat. Push through it man

    Also, your protein is low because you aren't eating protein. I eat 5 oz chicken breast 4x a day. Other 2 are eggs in the am or 8oz fish pre workout
    •   
       


  3. Snacks might help. Or just mix up your shake with whole milk and peanut butter, than drink a extra cup or two of whole milk throughout the day and you'll be close to 1000 cals.

  4. Just eat larger meals. Add some fats to that shake and oatmeal (nut butters taste great and will go well with it). Double the rice post workout. Add an avocado to your egg and meat meal. Have larger portions for dinner. Etc.

    Also no need for that much protein (aim around 1g/lbs of bodyweight).
    PEScience Representative
    Don't miss out on the next deal:
    http://pescience.com/insider
    Protein Backed by Science: http://selectprotein.com

  5. Quote Originally Posted by bolt10 View Post
    Also no need for that much protein (aim around 1g/lbs of bodyweight).
    Ya I forgot to mention that. When you're bulking, you should only eat your body weight. When you cut, bring it up to 1.5g/lbs.
    •   
       


  6. I work a desk job and basically do kind of an IF type diet with carb back-loading, in a sense. Morning is protein, fats, coffee and lots of water, then a big big lunch, then 2nd lunch, 2 more meals in evening after my workout with carbs. It's super easy to stuff your face when you're working a desk job.

  7. I spend most of my days in meetings, and going to the gym on my lunch break. It is not easy for me to eat that much. Also, my serving sizes are not very large, so having larger meals is a stretch. I picked up stuff for PBJ sandwiches, some trail mix and some ensure. I'll make my protein shakes with the ensure, and snack on a PBJ before my workout and the trailmix the rest of the day. I think that will get my to my goal. Unfortunately, it will just take some effort to cram it all down at first.

    Thanks for all the tips.

  8. Quote Originally Posted by modmustang97g View Post
    Also, my serving sizes are not very large, so having larger meals is a stretch.
    Doesn't make sense. If you can't eat frequent enough, make the quantity larger. It's really not hard man, you just have to get your body used to it.

  9. With your schedule, look into IF. Break your fast after your workout at 11. I've been following IF since I began student teaching and it has made life so much easier.
    Performax Labs Product Specialist
    Follow My Journey: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/269588-antms-lean-bulk.html

  10. You can't have it both ways and there's gonna be sacrifices. If you need more cals you'll have to either fit more meals in or increase the size of your meals, not really any ways around it.
    PEScience Representative
    Don't miss out on the next deal:
    http://pescience.com/insider
    Protein Backed by Science: http://selectprotein.com

  11. Quote Originally Posted by bolt10 View Post
    You can't have it both ways and there's gonna be sacrifices. If you need more cals you'll have to either fit more meals in or increase the size of your meals, not really any ways around it.
    ^^^This

    I require a lot of calories to gain weight (5000-6000+ daily) and am usually working 8-12+ hours. Every morning I have a shake, then leave the house with 4-6 tupperware containers filled with meats, veggies, rice, potatoes, healthy fats, etc. I usually get home late after training, eat 1-2 times before bed, and am up early getting everything ready in the morning.

    Considering that you struggle to fit calories in as is, I wouldn't suggest IF.
    PEScience Representative
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com

  12. Quote Originally Posted by modmustang97g View Post
    I spend most of my days in meetings, and going to the gym on my lunch break. It is not easy for me to eat that much. Also, my serving sizes are not very large, so having larger meals is a stretch. I picked up stuff for PBJ sandwiches, some trail mix and some ensure. I'll make my protein shakes with the ensure, and snack on a PBJ before my workout and the trailmix the rest of the day. I think that will get my to my goal. Unfortunately, it will just take some effort to cram it all down at first.

    Thanks for all the tips.
    I think adding in a lot of hard boiled eggs into your diet will help. Keep them in the fridge at work and snack on a couple every time you go to the washroom or something like this. Very quick, dense snack. Everything else you mentioned seems very high carb mixed with high fat content. It's best to go either high carb or high fat with each protein meal, for optimal nutrient partitioning. Mixing carbs and fats together at every meal is not the best for body composition.

  13. Alright. Ive been cramming in about 3500 calories a day, and my water retention is really high. My weight is up 8 lbs. Way more than could even be fat yet. I just wanted to check that this is normal. Im using DMZ so im not worried about burning the food. When does the water go away? At the end of the cycle or in a couple weeks when my body gets used to eating that much? DMZ is supposed to be pretty lean so I didnt expect it to cause much bloat.

  14. Quote Originally Posted by modmustang97g View Post
    Alright. Ive been cramming in about 3500 calories a day, and my water retention is really high. My weight is up 8 lbs. Way more than could even be fat yet. I just wanted to check that this is normal. Im using DMZ so im not worried about burning the food. When does the water go away? At the end of the cycle or in a couple weeks when my body gets used to eating that much? DMZ is supposed to be pretty lean so I didnt expect it to cause much bloat.
    Not really dude DMZ is pretty wet. Not super wet, but it's not dry per se like epi or halo. In other words, that's pretty normal. Your water weight will drop when you stop eating and drinking so much. Or you start intentionally shedding water weight by sitting in the sauna or excessively sweating by other means such as cardio.

  15. Figured id make an update. The bulk has been going well. Ive put on almost 15 lbs so far. I just bridged to Tr1umph from DMZ and my appetite went up alot. Unfortunately its still hard to eat enough and im starting to understand why people eat such bland foods while bulking. When it is just sheer willpower to pack it in, seasonings and strong flavors can be your enemy. Well cooked plain chicken, fish and eggs are on all the dieat plans for a reason.

  16. Quote Originally Posted by dbrock504 View Post
    Not really dude DMZ is pretty wet. Not super wet, but it's not dry per se like epi or halo. In other words, that's pretty normal. Your water weight will drop when you stop eating and drinking so much. Or you start intentionally shedding water weight by sitting in the sauna or excessively sweating by other means such as cardio.
    Hi, just noticed this post. Isn't DMZ a double bonded Superdrol molecule? I thought it was very dry, just like SD? As far as I know, it doesn't aromatize or cause edema.

  17. Since starting the DMZ I picked up a solid 1 percent of measured body fat. My measuring method is based on water, so it would make sense it is a little wet. When I ran tr1umph solo at 40mg, I didn't pick up any water, or any other noticeable change either.

  18. I 2nd the hb eggs, and throw in pb and oats to your shakes. have 2 shakes a day instead of just the one in am
    IronAddiction

    www.anabolicminds.com
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Anyone Working Out At LA Fitness in Springfield, MA????
    By Zach Strom in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-11-2013, 04:51 PM
  2. How-To Guide to Pooping at work.
    By Jayhawkk in forum General Chat
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-21-2006, 10:52 PM
  3. What is the best way to approach a girl at work?
    By ArnoldIsMyIdol in forum General Chat
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 07-20-2006, 09:42 PM
  4. How to Poop at Work
    By ArnoldIsMyIdol in forum General Chat
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-06-2006, 09:13 PM
  5. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-12-2003, 01:17 PM
Log in
Log in