Is 200g protein enough?

Page 5 of 5 First ... 345
  1. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  238 lbs.
    Answers

Protein spread, change and net anabolism:

http://www.**********************/art...-muscle-growth

Edit: also amino acids as signaling molecules, more pertinent to the debate.

2. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  208 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by fueledpassion View Post
    A carb that has a nutrient partitioning that goes to muscle cells and liver glycogen is a good one. Granted, the portion and its ratio between the other macros within the meal has more to do with nutrient partitioning than the actual type of carb itself. In general, a carb loaded with fiber and micro-nutrients is a good one. Sweet potatoes and oatmeal would be my best examples.

Or in the case that you are cycling Tren - any carb, lol. Positive Nutrient partitioning is ridiculous on that stuff.
    I like baked beans with the sauce washed off, rice and oatmeal.

Post workout i like dextrose and berries and protien all mixed together.

Ive seen you refer to a ratio for nutrient partitioning. Would you mind explaining this a little more, I am quite interested.

I try to have the majority of my carbs pre- intra and post workout.
    3 hours before I try to eat a carbs protien packed meal. Then one houre pre workout i have a whey shake.

I have 30g dextrose intra-workout-perhaps 60g on back or legs day.

Post workout i have a shake with 30g dextrose and 40g protein, 1.5 cups of berries, 2 teaspoons of barley grass and 10g creatine.

Then an hour later i have wholemeal carbs with protien

What do you think of this?

Cheers.
    ~Get shredded or die trying! The alphamine chapter~
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/213632-get-shredded-die.html
  3. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Docmattic View Post
    I like baked beans with the sauce washed off, rice and oatmeal.

Post workout i like dextrose and berries and protien all mixed together.

Ive seen you refer to a ratio for nutrient partitioning. Would you mind explaining this a little more, I am quite interested.

I try to have the majority of my carbs pre- intra and post workout.
    3 hours before I try to eat a carbs protien packed meal. Then one houre pre workout i have a whey shake.

I have 30g dextrose intra-workout-perhaps 60g on back or legs day.

Post workout i have a shake with 30g dextrose and 40g protein, 1.5 cups of berries, 2 teaspoons of barley grass and 10g creatine.

Then an hour later i have wholemeal carbs with protien

What do you think of this?

Cheers.
    I think ur right on the money to have fair portions of each (protein/carbs) at each meal.

The only reason I suggest a good blend of protein,carbs & fiber is to slow the digestion of the food. Fat does this too but fat isnt as benefitial as carbs for energy and certainly doesnt have the same effects as protein.

This slowing of digestion also reduces the amount of insulin released by the pancreas. That means less fat storage and more muscle/liver glycogen. Furthermore, eating every 2-3 hours allows for a steady string of nutrients and energy to be supplied to the muscle, making u anabolic all day long, rather than just in the evening - much like the Keto, Paleo and Keifer diets. Carbs will always be preferred over protein and fats for basic energy consumption. If u eat enough carbs, you can rest assured that protein is used strictly for muscle building purposes rather than being used for immediate energy. At least, this is my understanding of it.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

It has long been known that proteins act as signalling molecules, not more recently as that article claims. And Isotope tracer methods are now commonly used to determine optimal protein intakes as opposed to NBAL.

In general, it is considered that each gene in the body ultimately directs the synthesis of ONE protein, although alternative splicing can generate homologous proteins with polymorphic differences in structure and function. Gene expression begins when a signal is sensed and transduced to the nucleus of the cell through a transcription factor, that in turn, binds to regulatory proteins on DNA that are in close proximity to the gene (promotor sequencers)

There has been an explosion of data pertaining to the control of translation in the muscle and how it is regulated by nutrition and muscle contraction. In general, AMPK is considered a signalling molecule that senses cellular energy charge and increases in activity (phosphorylation) when cellualr charge is low. Activated AMPK leads to an increase in lipid oxidation and glucose transport and can increase mitochondrial biogenesis. Activated AMPK also leads to a REDUCTION in lipid and protein synthesis. The opposite effect is mediated by the mammalian target of rapamycin (known as mTOR). Activation of AMPK can inhibit mTOR signalling. When mTOR is activated by amino acids (Leucine primarily) or insulin (hence insulins importance, people often try limit insulin) there is an activation of downstream kinases. Resistance exercise can activate the Akt-mTOR-p70S6K1 pathway in ther hours following exercise which effect is enhanced in the presense of proteins (hence prtoeins important role in the post-workout meal).

At whole body level, there is an attentuation of the acute exercise-induced increase in FSR
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
    X-gels: Arachidonic Acid made affordable
  5. Registered User
    Answers

200 is plenty for 170 lbs...focus on carbs and fats for gaining size, they are better for manipulating weight than protien
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Am I getting enough calories? And is my protein shake OK?
    By iDShaDoW in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-13-2008, 03:13 PM
  2. Is one bottle enough?
    By goyard in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-09-2005, 08:50 AM
  3. is 4 weeks enough?
    By julius kelp in forum Cycle Info
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-11-2003, 09:36 AM
  4. When else besides PW is whey protein okay to consume?
    By JohnGafnea in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-03-2003, 11:42 PM
  5. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-19-2002, 05:27 PM