Is 200g protein enough?

stegt

stegt

Awards
Hi Nearly all my protein comes from 90+ Protein powder. I know I should get my protein from lean meats But it's more convenient to drink a shake when at work. Is this a bad approach to my nutrition? I'm currently a beginner/ Intermediate bodybuilder 193lbs, 6'1.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

TexasGuy

Awards
Hi Nearly all my protein comes from 90+ Protein powder. I know I should get my protein from lean meats But it's more convenient to drink a shake when at work. Is this a bad approach to my nutrition? I'm currently a beginner/ Intermediate bodybuilder 193lbs, 6'1.
It would be better if you could be more specific.

There was a time I couldn't eat as much as I wanted during the day either and relied on shakes and bars for a large portion of my protein.

The only real drawback I found to building muscle was difficulty reaching a caloric level for growth with this method. I couldn't exactly set up an office blender and go to town multiple times through out the day.

I would suggest keeping a can of mixed nuts or, if you aren't scared or wheat, a bag of wheaties or something to munch on with your shakes.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
1) Blend prior to work and bring in screw top/leak proof cups

2) Mix in car or at work with a fork or wisk or protein shaker

3) Do what I do and use MUCH LESS water and mix it into a "pudding like consistency" (yummy) and bring in tupperware

It would be better if you could be more specific.

There was a time I couldn't eat as much as I wanted during the day either and relied on shakes and bars for a large portion of my protein.

The only real drawback I found to building muscle was difficulty reaching a caloric level for growth with this method. I couldn't exactly set up an office blender and go to town multiple times through out the day.

I would suggest keeping a can of mixed nuts or, if you aren't scared or wheat, a bag of wheaties or something to munch on with your shakes.

stegt

stegt

Awards
Thanks for the advice.

This is my weekday diet

7am Breakfast, Shredded wheat with 30g 90+ Protein (made with water) apple and pint water.

10am Protein shake and an apple

1pm Tinned vegetable soup and Tinned mixed fruit. Protein shake.

4:30pm 80 g chicken breast And 100 g mixed veg.

7pm 80 g chicken breast and 100grams mixed veg.

10pm Protein shake.

Total Calories 1600 to 1800.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What are your goals?

At a glance (w/o knowing much), I am not I am crazy about your diet. you don't need 6 meals and you dont need to eat from 7am to 10pm

Looks like you may have too much protein and more importantly, your diet is a bit OFF from an optimal health/nutritional perspective.

Need to add healthy fats too.

stegt

stegt

Awards
My goal is to gain 10 to 15 lbs muscle this year and lose body fat.
I train 5-6 days a week. 20-30 mins cardio and 30-40 mins weight lifting.

I do eat almonds salmon and tuna for fatty acids.

I'm 29 years old 6'1 and 196lbs (14 stone)
16% body fat I think...

I am new to bodybuilding. Have been messing with weights for about two years but never consistently. I found my gains stopped and quickly gave up. Really want to focus this year but nutrition is a constant struggle.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

TexasGuy

Awards
My goal is to gain 10 to 15 lbs muscle this year and lose body fat.
I train 5-6 days a week. 20-30 mins cardio and 30-40 mins weight lifting.

I do eat almonds salmon and tuna for fatty acids.

I'm 29 years old 6'1 and 196lbs (14 stone)
16% body fat I think...

I am new to bodybuilding. Have been messing with weights for about two years but never consistently. I found my gains stopped and quickly gave up. Really want to focus this year but nutrition is a constant struggle.
your caloric intake is way too low. post your routine, in detail.

In general, it's a good idea to use a pre-existing routine written by a reputable coach and aimed at your experience level (beginner).

It's always smart to build strength first, you need a foundation. I'm a fan of Bill Starr's 5x5, with added isolation work. 5-3-1 by Jim Wendler is popular right now, Starting Strength by Mark (Mike?) Ripptoe...

Docmattic

Docmattic

Awards
  • Established
A carb that has a nutrient partitioning that goes to muscle cells and liver glycogen is a good one. Granted, the portion and its ratio between the other macros within the meal has more to do with nutrient partitioning than the actual type of carb itself. In general, a carb loaded with fiber and micro-nutrients is a good one. Sweet potatoes and oatmeal would be my best examples.

Or in the case that you are cycling Tren - any carb, lol. Positive Nutrient partitioning is ridiculous on that stuff.
I like baked beans with the sauce washed off, rice and oatmeal.

Post workout i like dextrose and berries and protien all mixed together.

Ive seen you refer to a ratio for nutrient partitioning. Would you mind explaining this a little more, I am quite interested.

I try to have the majority of my carbs pre- intra and post workout.
3 hours before I try to eat a carbs protien packed meal. Then one houre pre workout i have a whey shake.

I have 30g dextrose intra-workout-perhaps 60g on back or legs day.

Post workout i have a shake with 30g dextrose and 40g protein, 1.5 cups of berries, 2 teaspoons of barley grass and 10g creatine.

Then an hour later i have wholemeal carbs with protien

What do you think of this?

Cheers.

fueledpassion

fueledpassion

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I like baked beans with the sauce washed off, rice and oatmeal.

Post workout i like dextrose and berries and protien all mixed together.

Ive seen you refer to a ratio for nutrient partitioning. Would you mind explaining this a little more, I am quite interested.

I try to have the majority of my carbs pre- intra and post workout.
3 hours before I try to eat a carbs protien packed meal. Then one houre pre workout i have a whey shake.

I have 30g dextrose intra-workout-perhaps 60g on back or legs day.

Post workout i have a shake with 30g dextrose and 40g protein, 1.5 cups of berries, 2 teaspoons of barley grass and 10g creatine.

Then an hour later i have wholemeal carbs with protien

What do you think of this?

Cheers.
I think ur right on the money to have fair portions of each (protein/carbs) at each meal.

The only reason I suggest a good blend of protein,carbs & fiber is to slow the digestion of the food. Fat does this too but fat isnt as benefitial as carbs for energy and certainly doesnt have the same effects as protein.

This slowing of digestion also reduces the amount of insulin released by the pancreas. That means less fat storage and more muscle/liver glycogen. Furthermore, eating every 2-3 hours allows for a steady string of nutrients and energy to be supplied to the muscle, making u anabolic all day long, rather than just in the evening - much like the Keto, Paleo and Keifer diets. Carbs will always be preferred over protein and fats for basic energy consumption. If u eat enough carbs, you can rest assured that protein is used strictly for muscle building purposes rather than being used for immediate energy. At least, this is my understanding of it.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
It has long been known that proteins act as signalling molecules, not more recently as that article claims. And Isotope tracer methods are now commonly used to determine optimal protein intakes as opposed to NBAL.

In general, it is considered that each gene in the body ultimately directs the synthesis of ONE protein, although alternative splicing can generate homologous proteins with polymorphic differences in structure and function. Gene expression begins when a signal is sensed and transduced to the nucleus of the cell through a transcription factor, that in turn, binds to regulatory proteins on DNA that are in close proximity to the gene (promotor sequencers)

There has been an explosion of data pertaining to the control of translation in the muscle and how it is regulated by nutrition and muscle contraction. In general, AMPK is considered a signalling molecule that senses cellular energy charge and increases in activity (phosphorylation) when cellualr charge is low. Activated AMPK leads to an increase in lipid oxidation and glucose transport and can increase mitochondrial biogenesis. Activated AMPK also leads to a REDUCTION in lipid and protein synthesis. The opposite effect is mediated by the mammalian target of rapamycin (known as mTOR). Activation of AMPK can inhibit mTOR signalling. When mTOR is activated by amino acids (Leucine primarily) or insulin (hence insulins importance, people often try limit insulin) there is an activation of downstream kinases. Resistance exercise can activate the Akt-mTOR-p70S6K1 pathway in ther hours following exercise which effect is enhanced in the presense of proteins (hence prtoeins important role in the post-workout meal).

At whole body level, there is an attentuation of the acute exercise-induced increase in FSR

GeraldNY181

GeraldNY181

Awards
200 is plenty for 170 lbs...focus on carbs and fats for gaining size, they are better for manipulating weight than protien