Bulking

BcPoor

Awards
Hi, I'm new to the forum. My name is Brian, I'm 23, I'm 6ft. 1 and I weigh approx. 165 pounds. I eat more than anyone I've ever met, and that will not change.

I have been an avid gym member for years now, and I have always had serious problems gaining continuous, noticeable results, and especially keeping them. I am gearing towards bulking up as I have always been naturally cut. I am interested in both a pre-workout supp and a good whey.

Friends of mine have directed me to check out this website, and see if I would be willing to start a PH cycle.

Personally I am willing to, as my continuous efforts have only brought me noob-ish gains, and I am sick of hours upon hours of working-out to not maximize my results.

Upon searching the forums for the last three or four hours, I have seen that there are only a few PH's that are recommended for someone in my position, and I would like to go over these in greater deal.

A PM, or post on this thread would be greatly appreciated.

~Thank you

gus.medrano

Awards
Dude...you eat a lot...but how many calories are you taking in?

What does your workout routine look like?

bf?

you have to give a little more so that the fellas here at AM can help you out better...but at 6'1 and only 165? something tells me your diet isnt right...

simply because you eat a lot...doesnt mean you are eating the right things...

So before you hear more of the "eat more"

post up in detail what your diet/workout routine looks like..

After I see that I will be more than willing to assist you with any bulk/ph questions you may have.

BcPoor

Awards
Good point, during this last summer I was at a total of 5500 calories / day..Now I'm hovering around 4500-5000..That is nearly 1000 over maintenance for me (4150).

Meals consist of steak/chicken, eggs (up to 6 large a day)...Tons of milk, probably 2-4 glasses a day on average (16 ouncers). I aim for 250 g of protein a day, carbs vary, but I get more than enough.

BF % - No more than 8%

Workout routine is every other day (3 heavy lifting days per 7 in a week, end up doing 7 heavy lifts every two weeks, sometimes 8 if body is up to it). Cardio work is interspersed throughout.

I should also add that my water intake is substantial, probably 120-160 o'a a day.

BcPoor

Awards
I understand I am brand new to these forums, and my questions will take longer to be taken seriously than most, but my concerns are very real and any help (even just being pointed in the right direction) would be great. (70 views 1 post atm)

I have been doing a great, great deal of research in the last 48 hours, and my understanding is (based on most preferred) that a 6 week on, 8 week off cycle is common and produces big gains that are able to be kept.

I am interested in both:

1. Appropriate PH product/cycle for a beginner.
2. Appropriate pre-workout supp.

ward5742

ward5742

Awards
  • Established
No PH is reccommended to one unless he is at his platue. To me it just seems your problem is your diet. 165lbs at 6"1!! If you got a a great Weight Gainer/Creatine/Diet etc.. Workout routine.. You shouldn't have a problem with gaining weight and seeing noticable results. You should be eating 4-6 small meals consisting of around 600-800 calories and all you daily nutrients needed for muscle growth such as carbs/protein/etc... With your weight gainer 2-3 times daily. With this diet for 1 month I guarentee you to see results. Everyone comes on the forums nowdays thinking a PH/Ds/AA's are the answer to acheive their goals, or just beating that little weight gain platue, But they don't realize steroids/PH's aren't a miracle drug. If you can't gain weight right now without a ph/aa, what makes you think you can gain weight with one ? Remember steroids/DS are just supplements, without the proper diet/dedication they deserve they won't give you the results you expect. Bodybuilding/Looking good takes time bro, don't be in any rush, Remember EAT BIG/LIFT BIG/ GET BIG! All I can say man. Goodluck and I hope you make the right decision.

BcPoor

Awards
No PH is reccommended to one unless he is at his platue. To me it just seems your problem is your diet. 165lbs at 6"1!! If you got a a great Weight Gainer/Creatine/Diet etc.. Workout routine.. You shouldn't have a problem with gaining weight and seeing noticable results. You should be eating 4-6 small meals consisting of around 600-800 calories and all you daily nutrients needed for muscle growth such as carbs/protein/etc... With your weight gainer 2-3 times daily. With this diet for 1 month I guarentee you to see results. Everyone comes on the forums nowdays thinking a PH/Ds/AA's are the answer to acheive their goals, or just beating that little weight gain platue, But they don't realize steroids/PH's aren't a miracle drug. If you can't gain weight right now without a ph/aa, what makes you think you can gain weight with one ? Remember steroids/DS are just supplements, without the proper diet/dedication they deserve they won't give you the results you expect. Bodybuilding/Looking good takes time bro, don't be in any rush, Remember EAT BIG/LIFT BIG/ GET BIG! All I can say man. Goodluck and I hope you make the right decision.
I do understand this, my understanding is that the right PH cycle/choice will make me insanely hungry and allow me to even eat more, as well as give me the ability to push myself more in the gym, that is why my interest is peaked.

ward5742

ward5742

Awards
  • Established
I do understand this, my understanding is that the right PH cycle/choice will make me insanely hungry and allow me to even eat more, as well as give me the ability to push myself more in the gym, that is why my interest is peaked.
That is all a mind game, No ph will make you hungry. Just Dedication will.

BcPoor

Awards
Please post your actual diet.
More on my diet to allow more critiquing and understanding:

Current diet consists of:

Morning:
2 large eggs
Chicken bacon (I know)
Glass milk (16 oz)
Oatmeal - to cover carbs
..Whey - 20 g

Mid-day meal 1 and 2:

1:
Chicken
Rice/Sweet potatoes
Milk 16 oz, sometimes 16x2 = 32 oz
Whey- 20g

2: (Normally my pre-workout)
Protein shake with 40g whey

Post-workout (when it applies):
2500 calorie shake with 50 g protein

Dinner:
12-20 oz steak/Chicken
Potatoes
Corn
Milk (same as above)
20g whey

Post-Dinner:
Chicken/Steak in smaller portions, around 8-10 oz
The rest for post-dinner varies
20g whey

Creatine is of course taken upon waking, and post-workout (@ 5 g a day)

Last edited:

BcPoor

Awards
More on my diet to allow more critiquing and understanding:

Current diet consists of:

Morning:
2 large eggs
Chicken bacon (I know)
Glass milk (16 oz)
Oatmeal - to cover carbs
..Whey - 20 g

Mid-day meal 1 and 2:

1:
Chicken
Rice/Sweet potatoes
Milk 16 oz, sometimes 16x2 = 32 oz
Whey- 20g

2: (Normally my pre-workout)
Protein shake with 40g whey

Post-workout (when it applies):
2500 calorie shake with 50 g protein

Dinner:
12-20 oz steak/Chicken
Potatoes
Corn
Milk (same as above)
20g whey

Post-Dinner:
Chicken/Steak in smaller portions, around 8-10 oz
The rest for post-dinner varies
20g whey

Creatine is of course taken upon waking, and post-workout (@ 5 g a day)
Any thoughts? Any things that just scream out: "Change me"? I've been eating like this or similarly like it for about 2 years, and I only was seeing astounding results @ the beginning, after about 1-2 months results kind of tapered off and started to see kind of plateau.

bashman

bashman

Awards
  • Established
What's your training routine like? Did you change it up often?

Regarding diet, have you tried different macros? E.g. I would focus on increasing cals with more carbs and fats - 2 tablespoons of olive oil added to a few meals.

If you seriously having that much trouble gaining weight, even after increasing cals, then it might be a good idea to get blood work done to see if there are any underlying issues...

BcPoor

Awards
What's your training routine like? Did you change it up often?

Regarding diet, have you tried different macros? E.g. I would focus on increasing cals with more carbs and fats - 2 tablespoons of olive oil added to a few meals.

If you seriously having that much trouble gaining weight, even after increasing cals, then it might be a good idea to get blood work done to see if there are any underlying issues...
I try to do all compound training, I go 3 times a week on average, and every 2 weeks combined it basically turns out to be 7-8 days lifting, a little bit of cardio interspersed.

To be fair, I've never followed a strict workout program. I have always just switched my workout strategy from day-to-day. So, any program recommendations will be listened to and appreciated as trying a new one out can't hurt.

Ex.
Day 1: Chest work (Biceps after compound chest lifts are finished)
Day 2: Rest
Day 3: Chest work, Dips/Tricep targeting
Day 4: Rest
Day 5: Chest work, Biceps
Day 6: Rest
Day 7: Legs/Rest

I am in need of mixing in lower body work to my schedule, but my hardest gainer is my chest, which is why I focus on it more than anything else.

bashman

bashman

Awards
  • Established
I try to do all compound training, I go 3 times a week on average, and every 2 weeks combined it basically turns out to be 7-8 days lifting, a little bit of cardio interspersed.

To be fair, I've never followed a strict workout program. I have always just switched my workout strategy from day-to-day. So, any program recommendations will be listened to and appreciated as trying a new one out can't hurt.

Ex.
Day 1: Chest work (Biceps after compound chest lifts are finished)
Day 2: Rest
Day 3: Chest work, Dips/Tricep targeting
Day 4: Rest
Day 5: Chest work, Biceps
Day 6: Rest
Day 7: Legs/Rest

I am in need of mixing in lower body work to my schedule, but my hardest gainer is my chest, which is why I focus on it more than anything else.
You need to dedicate a day to shoulders and back bro, you're training chest way too much. You're going to be out of proportion and may even lead to injury.

Have you ever considered you may be overtraining, hence your reason for plateau?

BcPoor

Awards
You make a very good point, I've never really thought that I was over-training, but that may very well be the problem. I will incorporate shoulders and back more, and see what my results look like!

Aside from that, some assistance tweaking my meal plan and lift regimen would be greatly appreciated (workout plan), as well as which products of whey/casein and pre-workouts work best for you.

bashman

bashman

Awards
  • Established
You make a very good point, I've never really thought that I was over-training, but that may very well be the problem. I will incorporate shoulders and back more, and see what my results look like!

Aside from that, some assistance tweaking my meal plan and lift regimen would be greatly appreciated (workout plan), as well as which products of whey/casein and pre-workouts work best for you.
Your diet looks fine, decent amount of carbs + fats, enough protein, no junk food.

I don't know how much intensity you train with, but maybe look to include burnout sets, drop sets, supersets etc.... Have you tried 5 x 5 routine? DC is another renowned training program - very intensive, a lot of the experienced members on here use it.

What has always worked good for me is a simple 5 day split

Chest
Back
Shoulders
Legs
Arms
Rest/Cardio (I suggest you lay off the cardio if you have difficulty gaining)
Rest/Cardio

Take a 2 weeks break, research some more training routines and then hit the gym hard.

Regarding protein, I just use a standard bulk whey, nothing fancy. I always look to get in as much real food as possible.

BcPoor

Awards
Your diet looks fine, decent amount of carbs + fats, enough protein, no junk food.

I don't know how much intensity you train with, but maybe look to include burnout sets, drop sets, supersets etc.... Have you tried 5 x 5 routine? DC is another renowned training program - very intensive, a lot of the experienced members on here use it.

Chest
Back
Shoulders
Legs
Arms
Rest/Cardio

Take a 2 weeks break, research some more training routines and then hit the gym hard.

Regarding protein, I just use a standard bulk whey, nothing fancy. I always look to get in as much real food as possible.
Very informative, thank you! R+

ward5742

ward5742

Awards
  • Established

Chest
Back
Shoulders
Legs
Arms
Rest/Cardio

Great info! Reps Reps to you bro.

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
My added .02:
Most PH's dont help with appetite due to the beating they give your liver. Most everyone here should agree with me that they shouldnt be considered in your case until you are weighing 180-190 at your height and hopefully 25 years of age by then. Also, you are tall and you are really going to have to eat ALOT to gain weight, this is how it is unfortunately. It doesnt look like you are truly getting 5000 calories to me. For me personally, carbs in large quantities are neccesary for weight gain and 30-40 grams of protein every 2.5 hours too. I recently also discovered Ive been training too hard, too often. Maybe just stick with your compound movements 3-4 days a week TOPS... REST is when you grow and let all those calories put some size on you..

BigBlackGuy

BigBlackGuy

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
This... 6'1" and 165, eating 5000 kcal a day and not growing? I call bull**** or tapeworm.

BcPoor

Awards
My added .02:
Most PH's dont help with appetite due to the beating they give your liver. Most everyone here should agree with me that they shouldnt be considered in your case until you are weighing 180-190 at your height and hopefully 25 years of age by then. Also, you are tall and you are really going to have to eat ALOT to gain weight, this is how it is unfortunately. It doesnt look like you are truly getting 5000 calories to me. For me personally, carbs in large quantities are neccesary for weight gain and 30-40 grams of protein every 2.5 hours too. I recently also discovered Ive been training too hard, too often. Maybe just stick with your compound movements 3-4 days a week TOPS... REST is when you grow and let all those calories put some size on you..
Thanks for your 2 cents so to speak, I have decided to not run a PH for the time being, as it has been brought to my attention by both bashman and you that there are flaws in both my workout, and diet. I am going to tweak these continuously and see if it helps.

After that, if I really can't seem to get the results I'm aiming for, then I will look back down the road of PH's and such, but until then, wish me luck!

BcPoor

Awards
This... 6'1" and 165, eating 5000 kcal a day and not growing? I call bull**** or tapeworm.
Haha noted.

It is what it is, my metabolism has always been lightning fast, but I agree it seems ludicrous to see someone eating 5k cals and not packing on weight.

Hope it ain't a damn tapeworm!

:hmmm:

BigBlackGuy

BigBlackGuy

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Haha noted.

It is what it is, my metabolism has always been lightning fast, but I agree it seems ludicrous to see someone eating 5k cals and not packing on weight.

Hope it ain't a damn tapeworm!

:hmmm:
What do you use in the shake?

BcPoor

Awards
I'll admit the 2500 is a round estimate as I don't generally weigh everything perfectly, but it has about:

1 full banana
2 tbsp peanutbutter
2 scoops whey
Mixed berries
2 scoop of Muscletech Mass "Milkshake" powder (Been meaning to find a better product)
Ice
Milk

Last edited:
Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Hey, best of luck. Keep at it. I would be thrilled at my progress if I had stuck with bodybuilding throughout my twenties, I just started back up at 30 and feel my agressive efforts have paid off for me. I have to admit that I thought I knew alot about diet/exercise/anabolics but the last 6 months in the forums of AM, I have learned so much more from all the amazing atheletes here and their experiences in this sport.

BcPoor

Awards
Hey, best of luck. Keep at it. I would be thrilled at my progress if I had stuck with bodybuilding throughout my twenties, I just started back up at 30 and feel my agressive efforts have paid off for me. I have to admit that I thought I knew alot about diet/exercise/anabolics but the last 6 months in the forums of AM, I have learned so much more from all the amazing atheletes here and their experiences in this sport.
Thanks!

Haha I agree though, I felt I was on top of it, but it looks like my diet and workout have actually been put together sloppily.

I have learned a lot just looking through all of the old threads and what not, it's astounding.