Bulking Formula for a 40/40/20 split??

Leigh123

Awards
Hey guys,

I was just curious if there is an actual formula/equation for a protein/fat/carb intake when bulking? I read some where to take your BW x 18= calories then take the calories x .40 for carbs and protein then divide by 4. And then calories x .20 divide that by 9 and that is your fat. I have no idea if this is a true way to calculate or where those numbers come from

Currently I am 275 trying to get up to 300-305 range

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Hey guys,

I was just curious if there is an actual formula/equation for a protein/fat/carb intake when bulking? I read some where to take your BW x 18= calories then take the calories x .40 for carbs and protein then divide by 4. And then calories x .20 divide that by 9 and that is your fat. I have no idea if this is a true way to calculate or where those numbers come from

Currently I am 275 trying to get up to 300-305 range
Yes, ballpark calories for bulking is 18 to 20 times bodyweight (in pounds). However if you are physically active outside of the gym (ie your job involves physical labor, you play sports, etc) then you may need more.

The 40% protein, 40% carb, 20% fat split is just one approach. To some extent the body can interchange macros for energy so those percentages are not set in stone. I prefer 30p/50c/20f, some say split them evenly at 33/33/33. Really it is probably splitting hairs as long as your overall calories are in check.

You are correct about the rest of you calculations. divide protein and carb calories by 4 to get number of grams and fat calories by 9.

Playwithfire

Playwithfire

Awards
good method for estimating daily caloric expenditure

Attached is a worksheet for a good method of estimating daily caloric expenditure. To bulk or cut - find your baseline and then either add or subtract 300-500 calories/day. 40-40-20 is a perfect ratio for bulking.

BTW I'm 6'5" and about 235 @ 14% b/f, I couldn't imagine being 300lbs. You must be a beast man.

Attachments

Leigh123

Awards
Hey man I appreciate it. Yeah I guess I'm a decent size guy haha. I play ball so I have to be a big SOB ya know? Anywho thanks man... By the way i'm up to 285 now

jiberish

jiberish

Awards
Get a ballpark number then play with it. Ie give it two weeks, not gaining add 5% etc.

Lots of baby steps and find your golden number. Same with cutting really.