225+lb guys get in here

BostonFan

BostonFan

Awards
When bulking how often do you eat? Every 2 hours? Every 3 hours?

I'm currently 215 trying to get up to 220-225 and I eat rather clean but I've been eating every 3 hours and with my time during the day to eat I only eat 6 meals a day for a total of around 3000 calories with a total of around 70g fat/200g carbs and 280g protein. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to get a little more in and still give my body time to digest it. Is eating every 2 hours too much?

tribaltek

tribaltek

All Traps - No Tris
Awards
  • Established
Drink more milk. I drink almost a gallon a day, which is why I have a hard time cutting :(

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
if you want to gain weight... eat more.
Gaining too much fat? Increase your cardio or cut back your calories by a smidge
Still not gaining? eat more.

BostonFan

BostonFan

Awards
I've been gaining. Went from 208-215 in 4 weeks. That's not my problem. My problem is I'm STARVING when hour 2 rolls around and still have to wait another hour to eat. So I said screw it and I started eating every 2 hours today. So far I've felt more full. Maybe my body just processes food fast.

BostonFan

BostonFan

Awards
And yes I drink 3 shakes a day. Current meal plan @ 2 hours is this

2 eggs/protein shake @ 6:30
1 cup oatmeal & non fat yogurt @ 8:30
1/2 cup non fat cottage cheese w/1 banana @ 10:30
lean meat wrap & sweet potatoes @ 12:30
protein shake @ 2:30
1 can tuna w/whole wheat crackers @ 4:30
lean meat w/brown rice & veggies and or salad @6:30
Protein shake @ 8:30

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
my strategy is... if Im hungry I eat.

b9cist

b9cist

Awards
I am eating every 2-2.5 hours. I eat on a schedule to make sure I don't miss a meal.

Link24

Awards
  • Established
I eat very 2.5-3.5hours depending on my work and class schedule. I do 6-7 Total meals depending on the circumstances. Meal 1-5 protein/ carb meals 6-7 are Protein/ Fat/ Veggie. My daily Macros are 400Pro/500carb/60fat. I found just increasing the total amount of calories per meal make everything way easier, this way you dont have to eat to frequent.

kmk25

kmk25

Awards
Your diet looks good boston fan I would worry less on whether to go from 2 hours or three hours vice versa... increase your meal size might help

Bigblondekid

Awards
I would suggest going with more meat in your diet, bumping up the red meats will really help with your gains and they will hold you over a little longer. Another thing that you can do which has really helped me is to get up in the middle of the night and get a shake in, maybe more than one if you can. I agree with tribaltek too, milk is great for gains, I also drink about a gallon a day sometimes more if I can. Good luck with your bulk bro.

BostonFan

BostonFan

Awards
I'll start drinking more milk for sure.

I love red meat but there's not really many opportunities for me to eat it throughout the day. I'd have to prepare it before hand and I don't really have the time for that. I'll start eating it at least 2 times a week though

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
I'll start drinking more milk for sure.

I love red meat but there's not really many opportunities for me to eat it throughout the day. I'd have to prepare it before hand and I don't really have the time for that. I'll start eating it at least 2 times a week though
takes 10 minutes to cook a burger. put it between 2 slices of whole wheat bread. a little lettuce... bacon... tomato... whatever you want.

you have to make time if you are serious about this.

BostonFan

BostonFan

Awards
takes 10 minutes to cook a burger. put it between 2 slices of whole wheat bread. a little lettuce... bacon... tomato... whatever you want.

you have to make time if you are serious about this.
easier said than done is all I have to say. I'm up at 5 AM every day, out the door for work my 6:30, back home by 6PM, and then I have to eat twice, help take care of a 6month old and also go to the gym and shower all before trying to go to bed within a reasonable time so I can get some decent rest before I do it all over again the next day

I'll have to start preparing them on the weekends too. Plus I'll have to find some cheap red meat because everything here is expensive as ****

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
easier said than done is all I have to say. I'm up at 5 AM every day, out the door for work my 6:30, back home by 6PM, and then I have to eat twice, help take care of a 6month old and also go to the gym and shower all before trying to go to bed within a reasonable time so I can get some decent rest before I do it all over again the next day

I'll have to start preparing them on the weekends too. Plus I'll have to find some cheap red meat because everything here is expensive as ****
where is here? Cook stuff on the weekends and freeze it. Thats the best advice I can give you.

BostonFan

BostonFan

Awards
where is here? Cook stuff on the weekends and freeze it. Thats the best advice I can give you.
Central Cali. Our current groceries for both my wife and I including my 3500 calorie daily diet is about $100 a week or less. If I add red meat into the mix it will add another $20-30 a week

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
Central Cali. Our current groceries for both my wife and I including my 3500 calorie daily diet is about $100 a week or less. If I add red meat into the mix it will add another $20-30 a week
I spend 50 bucks a week on groceries for myself at walmart.

BostonFan

BostonFan

Awards
I spend 50 bucks a week on groceries for myself at walmart.
our walmart just started stocking food but no meats yet. That's what I'm waiting for because usually we shop at Safeway and their meat is expensive as hell. Or I can get some at costco in bulk but it would be a waste of money because the wife doesn't eat it

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
our walmart just started stocking food but no meats yet. That's what I'm waiting for because usually we shop at Safeway and their meat is expensive as hell. Or I can get some at costco in bulk but it would be a waste of money because the wife doesn't eat it
you could always freeze it.

BostonFan

BostonFan

Awards
yeah that too. I'll do a costco run this weekend

wedlund6

Awards
  • Established
i work 10. hour days i eat every 1.5 hours. lots of tuna on wheat bread.
i hate tuna

BostonFan

BostonFan

Awards
i work 10. hour days i eat every 1.5 hours. lots of tuna on wheat bread.
I get tired of tuna that's why I only eat it once a day. I could start eating sandwhiches though for the extra carbs and calories. 12:30 meal is like 4 huge slices of pastrami in a whole wheat wrap and sweet potatoes. I should probably start eating it on wheat bread again or even potato bread

BostonFan

BostonFan

Awards
BTW I'm on day 2 of that diet I posted above and I'm loving it so far. I feel full yet energized after every meal. Not lethargic because I tried cramming 1000 calories down my throat just to hit 3k cals for the day

17amethyl

Awards
  • Established
to be honest with you, when i have my mind set to put on my winter coat and bulk up, i strive for those 5-6 full meals, full meaning they have an adequate charge of protein/cals/carbs

but of course this plateaus at some point, which is why i have a handful of small "select snacks" that are big enough to contribute something to the macros and hold me off until the next meal but also small enough so that it doesnt suppress my appetite for my next meal

for me, ill have a jar of peanut butter and literally just have spoonfuls every once in a while between meals, i also have some almonds as well and protein bars (my favorite is the met-rx big 100 protein brownie)...and man, try dipping that thing in peanut butter...throwing a small shake in too here and there

its really unstructured for me, but by the end of the day it ensures that i hit my caloric/protein target

hope this helps

17amethyl

Awards
  • Established
another thing i guess i could add is to think dynamically with each meal you take...for instance, if I am making a grilled chicken sandwich (which in itself does not hold enough to satisfy bulking purposes) I'll also throw in small things like 2 slices of swiss, olives, turkey/regular bacon

or if your making a bowl of oatmeal, put a scoop of whey in there and mix it in well, assuming your oatmeal/shake flavors are compatible...these small things can bump something like a medium-sized chicken sandwhich which might be 240 calories (breast:120+bread:120) with bread up to almost 500 calories

mooch2321

mooch2321

Awards
  • Established
And yes I drink 3 shakes a day. Current meal plan @ 2 hours is this

2 eggs/protein shake @ 6:30
1 cup oatmeal & non fat yogurt @ 8:30
1/2 cup non fat cottage cheese w/1 banana @ 10:30
lean meat wrap & sweet potatoes @ 12:30
protein shake @ 2:30
1 can tuna w/whole wheat crackers @ 4:30
lean meat w/brown rice & veggies and or salad @6:30
Protein shake @ 8:30

figure chicks eat more than this when they are dieting...this NOT a bulking diet! this is probably around 2200 cals a day

roids1

roids1

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Finally, a Bigs only thread!!! Yes, just try to increase the size of each meal w/o worrying too much about whether it's 2 or 3 hours. Also, a good high calorie shake beofre bedtime should help.

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Sorry to dissapoint man, it's a wannabe Bigs thread :dunno:

OP, diet looks too clean. Dirty it up some. More fatty red meat, add cream to your shakes, cheese etc.

Goody

Awards
I agree, diet looks to "clean"...
Dont be afraid to house a cheesesteak or two...a pizza etc..chicken thighs are super cheap and the extra fat in the darker meat helps get those cals up.
throw some EVVO in with your shakes too...
Eat a whole food meal before bed or an MRP with a good amount of casein and some carbs ( I use Myoplex)
I try to hit 6,000 cals/day when I bulk.

Jmaths

Jmaths

Awards
When bulking how often do you eat? Every 2 hours? Every 3 hours?

I'm currently 215 trying to get up to 220-225 and I eat rather clean but I've been eating every 3 hours and with my time during the day to eat I only eat 6 meals a day for a total of around 3000 calories with a total of around 70g fat/200g carbs and 280g protein. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to get a little more in and still give my body time to digest it. Is eating every 2 hours too much?
I don't "bulk" I just eat something (more like drink milk) whenever I have a chance. I drink as much milk as I feel comfortable drinking in the morning, then I have some more after classes, then I might eat something, then I'll drink more milk before going to the gym, then more milk after, then I'll eat something like cheese before bed. (serious)

drink milk

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I don't "bulk" I just eat something (more like drink milk) whenever I have a chance. I drink as much milk as I feel comfortable drinking in the morning, then I have some more after classes, then I might eat something, then I'll drink more milk before going to the gym, then more milk after, then I'll eat something like cheese before bed. (serious)

drink milk
what about neovar? I hear it gets you jacked!

and GICH! :cheers:

AnabolikMind

Awards
personally cutting or bulking i am always hungry so...I just add a ton of steamed brocolli (or vegetable of your choice) to my meals and snack on some almonds if im bulking snack on celery if im cutting.

justreading

justreading

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I agree, diet looks to "clean"...
Dont be afraid to house a cheesesteak or two...a pizza etc..chicken thighs are super cheap and the extra fat in the darker meat helps get those cals up.
throw some EVVO in with your shakes too...
Eat a whole food meal before bed or an MRP with a good amount of casein and some carbs ( I use Myoplex)
I try to hit 6,000 cals/day when I bulk.
at your stats thats fine if you are reasonably lean. I am shorter and smaller bause of that and can barely handle 4000 cals without getting fat so the poster might be the same...

BostonFan

BostonFan

Awards
Alright yesterday I bought a few lbs of meat and cooked it up for my lunches for this week. So I'm now eating steak and sweet potatoes for lunch. Also picked up a few gallons of milk. I won't drink as much as some of you guys though.

I know I need SOME fats but jesus, it's pointless to eat **** just to gain weight. I've already felt myself gain a little bit of fat and I've been on this diet for a week. That's not what I want so I'm not upping the fats just to have to burn it all off again later.

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
Alright yesterday I bought a few lbs of meat and cooked it up for my lunches for this week. So I'm now eating steak and sweet potatoes for lunch. Also picked up a few gallons of milk. I won't drink as much as some of you guys though.

I know I need SOME fats but jesus, it's pointless to eat **** just to gain weight. I've already felt myself gain a little bit of fat and I've been on this diet for a week. That's not what I want so I'm not upping the fats just to have to burn it all off again later.
you do realize that eating fat doesn't make you fat right? excess calories makes you fat not dietary fat.

BostonFan

BostonFan

Awards
you do realize that eating fat doesn't make you fat right? excess calories makes you fat not dietary fat.
yes I know. I'm just not going to burn the fats fast enough. I'll be lucky if I burn the carbs fast enough and most of them throughout the day are all complex.

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
yes I know. I'm just not going to burn the fats fast enough. I'll be lucky if I burn the carbs fast enough and most of them throughout the day are all complex.
where does burning carbs and fats come into this? I thought you wanted to gain weight...

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
F*ck carbs. Go keto if you want to burn fat. Tastes better anyway.

If you're wanting to gain weight, quit being a wuss and f*cking eat everything in site if it's 'hard to gain.'

"it's pointless to eat **** just to gain weight." It's pointless to do anything, we all are going to die at some point.

Eat to gain weight, if you're gaining too much fat, LHJO & run more...if you're not gaining weight, eat more/run & LHJO less.

BostonFan

BostonFan

Awards
where does burning carbs and fats come into this? I thought you wanted to gain weight...
Because I can gain weight without eating dirty. Why eat dirty just because? It doesn't make any sense to me. Anyone can chow down and gain 10lbs. I want 10 "clean" pounds, not 10lbs of fat

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
how do you intend to gain any kind of weight if you are burning all of the carbs and fats you eat?

BostonFan

BostonFan

Awards
how do you intend to gain any kind of weight if you are burning all of the carbs and fats you eat?
I know I'm not burning all of them. But to gain you don't need to eat 1000+ calories over maintenance. You only need 3-500. I'm right in that range right now. If I take in more fats then I add more calories and I won't burn enough of them and it will all turn into fat. I expect to gain some fat but if I can keep it as clean as possible then it HAS to benefit me. There IS such thing as a clean bulk. My maintenance is 2800 so if I'm eating 3200 a day I'm right where I need to be.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Anyone can chow down and gain 10lbs. I want 10 "clean" pounds, not 10lbs of fat
Clearly you cannot. If you try to burn all those fats and carbs you're eating, you're increase your maintenance level and NOT gaining weight.
+1 Gallon of milk a day, lighten up Francis.

GICH

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
I know I'm not burning all of them. But to gain you don't need to eat 1000+ calories over maintenance. You only need 3-500. I'm right in that range right now. If I take in more fats then I add more calories and I won't burn enough of them and it will all turn into fat. I expect to gain some fat but if I can keep it as clean as possible then it HAS to benefit me. There IS such thing as a clean bulk. My maintenance is 2800 so if I'm eating 3200 a day I'm right where I need to be.
lol ok man. enjoy your bulk. let us know when you hit 225.

BostonFan

BostonFan

Awards
lol ok man. enjoy your bulk. let us know when you hit 225.
Okay. I was 218 yesterday. I've been on a bulk since the beginning of October @ 208lbs and I'm up 10lbs and keeping it pretty clean.

Thanks for the help

Movin_weight

Movin_weight

Awards
  • Established
It's a waiting game holmes. The faster u gain the wait the sloppier it will be whether your diet is clean or trash. If u want ten ponds in a month then most of it is going to be fat,water, an glycogen. If u want ten pounds of muscle it's gonna take years or gears broski

bkoguy07

bkoguy07

Awards
  • Established
When I weighed 220, I ate all the time anytime i wanted... drank 2 gallons of milk a week, and 2-3 weightgainer shakes a day only cardio on saturday (guys got together to play ball lol)