225+lb guys get in here

injectedn2me

Awards
meat is the best thing for size and lots of it you should eat 6 to 8 oz of meat every meal chicken is good because its got fat but not to much. I mean how do you think jay cutler puts on so much muscle i mean sure he is most likely on roids but he eats 5 to 7 pounds of meat a day.

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
meat is the best thing for size and lots of it you should eat 6 to 8 oz of meat every meal chicken is good because its got fat but not to much. I mean how do you think jay cutler puts on so much muscle i mean sure he is most likely on roids but he eats 5 to 7 pounds of meat a day.
werd. Minimise your protein shakes. Eat meat, stuff like meatballs are great, you can cook up a large batch and feed off them for days. Same deal with chicken thighs.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I just cut down from 230 down to 188, moved back up to 220 and now I'm back to 211. I did exactly what you're doing when I cut, 6 moderate meals a day, every 2.5-3 hours (I'm up at 5:30am). The only thing that determines whether I'm cutting or bulking, is the type of carbs I intake. I think I'm a natural fat ass, so I probably get an insulin spike from smelling breads & pastas. When my simple carb intake is simply replaced by wheat, oats and brown (rice/pasta), my weight goes down. If I maintain the exact macros, but change from complex to simple carbs, it's bulking time. My body loves to store glycogen, so for me, it's largely an endocrinlogical issue, as oppose to macros. However, when I bulk, it's uncontrollably quick and I do add a fist full of pudge, it sucks.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
If I drank as much milk as I'm reading that some of you do, I'd might as well be on the supplement, Alli. Nestle Quick mishaps all day.

roids1

roids1

Banned
Awards
  • Established
werd. Minimise your protein shakes. Eat meat, stuff like meatballs are great, you can cook up a large batch and feed off them for days. Same deal with chicken thighs.
Zackly! Personally, I love thighs and breasts meself.

The Judas

The Judas

Awards
And yes I drink 3 shakes a day. Current meal plan @ 2 hours is this

2 eggs/protein shake @ 6:30
1 cup oatmeal & non fat yogurt @ 8:30
1/2 cup non fat cottage cheese w/1 banana @ 10:30
lean meat wrap & sweet potatoes @ 12:30
protein shake @ 2:30
1 can tuna w/whole wheat crackers @ 4:30
lean meat w/brown rice & veggies and or salad @6:30
Protein shake @ 8:30
That's a long fast between your last protein shake and breakfast. Maybe you could invest in a Casein Protein shake if that's not what you're taking and drink that right before bed. Or cottage cheese. Or set an alarm clock to wake you in the middle of the night to drink a regular shake. It's just something I noticed.

Rommel65

Awards
265 to 315

When bulking how often do you eat? Every 2 hours? Every 3 hours?

I'm currently 215 trying to get up to 220-225 and I eat rather clean but I've been eating every 3 hours and with my time during the day to eat I only eat 6 meals a day for a total of around 3000 calories with a total of around 70g fat/200g carbs and 280g protein. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to get a little more in and still give my body time to digest it. Is eating every 2 hours too much?
Did a 4 month bulk. I'm 6'5 and 315. I ate constantly, and did like 5 shakes a day. Shot for 500g of protein ed. Strength went through the roof. At like 17% bf right now, gonna do a slow cut to like 280 or less than 10% whichever happens first. But, I was always full! Stuffed 24/7

Rommel65

Awards
I feel you

easier said than done is all I have to say. I'm up at 5 AM every day, out the door for work my 6:30, back home by 6PM, and then I have to eat twice, help take care of a 6month old and also go to the gym and shower all before trying to go to bed within a reasonable time so I can get some decent rest before I do it all over again the next day

I'll have to start preparing them on the weekends too. Plus I'll have to find some cheap red meat because everything here is expensive as ****
Out the door by 5, work is 90 min away. Home by 7p, two kids 4 and 9.......I feel you.

BigRedSwoll89

Awards
for your diet throw in more eggs or egg whites and try grilled chicken breasts or orange ruffy. Even eat a spoon full of peanut butter once a day

Playwithfire

Playwithfire

Awards
Your protein intake should not be changing whether you are 'bulking' or 'cutting'.Your intake should be set to 1.5-2 grams per pound of lean body mass per day. Why would you ever go below this threshold? Similarly adding additional protein above and over this amount is just a waste of money as you are going to piss it all out. What would should be changing is the overall caloritic intake (+/- 300 to 500 kcal per day) and ratio of protein to carbohydrates to fat. Therefore if your protein intake is static the only thing really changing is your intake of carbohydrates and fat.

I recommend adding half a cup of oats or a serve of waxy maize with each of your protein shakes along with a tablespoon of natural peanut butter.

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
I would have to eat an entire cow and have my GI tract replaced once a year I think!!

sonofsteven

Awards
  • Established
I may not be a Big just yet but I am on a King Richard crusade to be not-notbig so got to say that all the diet talk is great and helpful but nobody who is on the same road I am should forget the golden rule ; If you wanna Get F**kn Huge , you gotta Smash F**kn Weight !

SemiBulimic

SemiBulimic

Awards
  • Established
My weight went up big style when i switched to powerlifting training and just ate more than usual.

I don't see any good fats in your diet. Peanut butter, oily fish, etc. will help.

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Your protein intake should not be changing whether you are 'bulking' or 'cutting'.Your intake should be set to 1.5-2 grams per pound of lean body mass per day. Why would you ever go below this threshold? Similarly adding additional protein above and over this amount is just a waste of money as you are going to piss it all out. What would should be changing is the overall caloritic intake (+/- 300 to 500 kcal per day) and ratio of protein to carbohydrates to fat. Therefore if your protein intake is static the only thing really changing is your intake of carbohydrates and fat..
agreed.

I recommend adding half a cup of oats or a serve of waxy maize with each of your protein shakes along with a tablespoon of natural peanut butter.
Go the oats. Fibre-rich, nutritious, ultra-low GI, oats is the king of carbs.

WAXY MAIZE is bunk. Empty calories. Grind oats into a fine powder if you need some CHO to add to your shake.

bLacKjAck.

bLacKjAck.

Lift Heavy
Awards
  • Established
These guys telling you to eat like sh!t to gain weight are idiots. There is no need to eat dirty to gain weight. You need to be in a caloric surplus to gain weight, thats it. You can do that eating relatively clean. I would recommend having a day or two a week where you relax a bit on the strangle hold of clean, but for the most part dude keep it clean. Lots of whole grains and meat. Red meat is great for bulking for so many reasons, but don't rely solely on it.

You want to gain muscle, not put on a ton of fat. Will you add a little fat during a bulk? Sure, but it can be kept at a minimum.

Playwithfire

Playwithfire

Awards
agreed.

Go the oats. Fibre-rich, nutritious, ultra-low GI, oats is the king of carbs.

WAXY MAIZE is bunk. Empty calories. Grind oats into a fine powder if you need some CHO to add to your shake.
Yeah, I use the oats too (cheap), but I have some lifting buddies that swear by waxy maize.

tattoopierced1

i eat when i'm hungry.. whether that is every hour, or every 2 hours, I feed it when my body says it is hungry. IMO, I wouldnt go more than 2-2.5 hours without at least getting a shake in there.

BostonFan

BostonFan

Awards
I added in a lot more red meat, 2-4 scoops of PB a day, 2 glasses of milk a day.

But I'm also not taking any protein shakes and I'm only at about 250grams of protein a day. I've got to pick up some more protein and I'll be close to 400 grams per day and about 4k calories. Slowly gaining size and my BF has stayed the same.

Also switched to a 3x3 routine and I'm gaining better size than I did on a 3x8. It used to be all pump and would be gone within 40 min of working out. Now it stays and I grow much faster :)

Movin_weight

Movin_weight

Awards
  • Established
250g is plenty of protein to grow. Up your low gi carbs and healthy fats. Get your pre an post nutrient timing down, and you will gain. 400g of protein shouldn't be a concern, your body will just convert half of it to glucose an fat

roids1

roids1

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I almost puked on my keyboard when I saw that. I haven't had a McD's in a coupla months, so I was jonesing really bad for a cheeseburger. So, I hailed a cab this evening and went to McD's and had me 3 dbl cheeseburgers and a large fry. I almost popped some wood eating that first one , it was so damn good. But, I was hatin' life about an hour later.

BostonFan

BostonFan

Awards
I almost puked on my keyboard when I saw that. I haven't had a McD's in a coupla months, so I was jonesing really bad for a cheeseburger. So, I hailed a cab this evening and went to McD's and had me 3 dbl cheeseburgers and a large fry. I almost popped some wood eating that first one , it was so damn good. But, I was hatin' life about an hour later.
I did that a while back. Had a Carls Jr burger. Tasted great for about 45 seconds while I ate it. Then I felt like absolute **** the rest of the day

BostonFan

BostonFan

Awards
On the first page of this thread, that dude listed his 6 meals he eats in a day.. He also said he gets about 280 grams of protein everyday... But he doesn't eat shtt... oatmeal? Bananas? I know thats good for you, but theres no protein there lol
protein isn't everything for size gains. Even clean ones. I'm at about 320 grams now. 250 or so of that coming from whole foods, not shakes

TNASTYII

TNASTYII

Awards
  • Established
great thread man. im only on page 1 but good **** haha. i didnt know the stuff i did was so common either. i drink a TON of milk. its the most rediculously easy ways to get more cals/protein in. always have natty pb and milk b4 bed. i eat alot of red meat too like someone said. having a bottomless pit for a stomach helps out alot also hahaha. i for real cant get full sometimes. anyways good luck with your eating!

dude those cheesy gorditas dont give u the runs....or maybe your stomach cant handle that light weight baby

wedlund6

Awards
  • Established
eat clean , eat often , eat alot.... if you start putting on fat do not eat less. eat cleaner and add more cardio if you start losing weight eat more and do less cardio its not hard

pu12en12g

pu12en12g

CONTROLLED LABS CONSULTANT
Awards
  • Established
Every 2 hours if hardcore bulking... most meals force fed... lots of shakes.

snyper2k2

Awards
dont forget your water in between. I notice if I drink a glass of water before I eat I stay fuller longer.

TheDarkHalf

TheDarkHalf

Awards
  • Established
I'm an endo so I try to keep my cals high and clean during the week and throw in about 4 30 min cardio sessions as well to help get fat gain as minimal as possible. I'll eat 6 times a day and every two to three hours. On the weekends i'll eat every two hours, mainly because I like to sleep in (I work as a bouncer on the weekends) and i'll eat whatever I want. Train during the week and take the weekends off.

Illilian

Illilian

Awards
If you happen to know a cattle rancher you can buy a side, half-side, or quarter side of beef to have in your deep freeze. I bought a half side recently at $1.90/ lb. It has a mixture of steaks, stew beef, roasts, and tons of ground beef. You really can't beat something like that and depending on how many people you have in your household it can last you half the year.

BostonFan

BostonFan

Awards
I'm going to have to eat more. I lost a few lbs somehow.

Vinny B

Awards
500-1000 cals above maint.
2 g/lb LEAN bw of protein - Meats, slow powders, whey only PWO
2 g/lb MINIMUM of carbs - Yams, duram wheat pasta are my favorites
Fats will fall into place no need to calculate them
Chasing carbs with a few glasses of water really bloats them in your stomach and will keep you full

I buy my 93 lean beef and top round on sale for $1.99 freeze what I dont need for the week and cook what I do need for the next 7 days. I cook Sundays only, once cooked everything will last for at least a week

I eat 2-3 lbs whole proteins a day, no eggs no milk (preference)
Whey digests way too fast to keep your muscles fed for 2-3 hours and costs just as much whole protein

When i up calories i change to fattier meats and just add to portion size (6 meals ed). Add cardio before decreasing calories if you feel like you are adding too much fat

IMO cardio is a must, keeps your heart healthy and makes it suck less when you jump back into it to cut. 2-3 days ew, 20-30 mins at 60-70% first thing, empty stomach w/ 10g BCAA

Everyone is different, just wanted to give my 2c
5'8" ~200 10 bf

bezoe

bezoe

Awards
  • Established
2 cups of oats, 50g whey, 2 tablespoons of natty PB into a blender 3x a day... thats in addition to 3 whole food meals that consist of 6-8oz of some type of lean meat... then almonds or something to throw in if i get bored in between

thegiant24

Awards
def need to increase meal sizes, which means more calories. if you are saying your metabolism is that fast i doubt 3500 calories is gonna get you where you want to be anytime soon. i saw that your last shake/ meal was at 8:30pm or something like that? eat again before you go to bed. throw in some more fat free cottage cheese before u hit the sack. you could benefit from the slow digesting casein protein in the cottage cheese while u sleep.

justreading

justreading

Banned
Awards
  • Established
2 cups of oats, 50g whey, 2 tablespoons of natty PB into a blender 3x a day... thats in addition to 3 whole food meals that consist of 6-8oz of some type of lean meat... then almonds or something to throw in if i get bored in between
Thats very clean ha, wish I could get my cals like that.

I need to snack to get my cals.

Olestra fat free chips
Fiber select wheat thins
Wheat Saltines
Healthy choice cookies

I get a good amount of my carbs from that junk or my appetite just won't let me eat enough. Funny thing is during a diet your body learns as well and craves more food...

BostonFan

BostonFan

Awards
def need to increase meal sizes, which means more calories. if you are saying your metabolism is that fast i doubt 3500 calories is gonna get you where you want to be anytime soon. i saw that your last shake/ meal was at 8:30pm or something like that? eat again before you go to bed. throw in some more fat free cottage cheese before u hit the sack. you could benefit from the slow digesting casein protein in the cottage cheese while u sleep.
I go to bed at 9 so that's my last meal of the day.

I've been gaining weight slowly. I'm up to 220 right now and my BF% hasn't changed, still at 15% so I'm doing okay I guess. Clean bulks take ****ing forever.

TheDarkHalf

TheDarkHalf

Awards
  • Established
let me ask all you bigger guys a question about your training.

I've been on a 5 days on, two days off protocol for awhile. I'm starting to feel like the bigger I get the more rest I need. I've been thinking about switching my split to a 2 days on, 1 day off rotation as well all know that we grow when we aren't in the gym.

My thought is the bigger we get, the more muscle we have and are working, and therefore have more muscle that needs recovery. What do you guys think? I am on the right track here or am I just crazy?

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
let me ask all you bigger guys a question about your training.

I've been on a 5 days on, two days off protocol for awhile. I'm starting to feel like the bigger I get the more rest I need. I've been thinking about switching my split to a 2 days on, 1 day off rotation as well all know that we grow when we aren't in the gym.

My thought is the bigger we get, the more muscle we have and are working, and therefore have more muscle that needs recovery. What do you guys think? I am on the right track here or am I just crazy?
give it a shot. It is your body man. Everyone's works differently. If it works for you great but it may not work for anyone else. You should be tuned into the feedback it is giving you and adjust accordingly.

mkiitmr2

I know the feeling, when I am bulking, I feel like I get hungry every couple hours too, but I usually eat every 3 hours regardless. I also drink 1-1.5gallons of water a day.

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Ha didn't read through every thread but seen someone already suggested milk wich is great and I do the same in the winter. Another thing you can do is snack on nuts when your hungry or add 2 scoops of peanut butter everytime you have a shake. Those three suggestions together will make it easy to bump it up another 1000 cals no problem.