Contest Prep begins!!!

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
The Sunday after Thanksgiving, I begin my contest prepartation. I plan on competing in the NPC NY Metropolitan Bodybuilding Competition in March.

Here are some calculations I came up with to start me off.

I'm 5'6.5", 215 pounds and I'm going to estimate I'm 16% bodyfat. I might be much lower, but if I notice great conditioning earlier than anticipated I can always adjust my diet to accomodate.

According to RMR calculations, I burn 2474 calories per day sans exercise (1903 RMR * 1.3 for sedentary state). Each day will be doing 30 minutes of moderate cardio on a recumbant bike first thing in the morning: 343 calories. I'll be doing About an hour and 15 minutes of virgorous weight training 6 days a week (735 calories). On the 7th day, I will do an extra hour+ cardio to fill in the missing calories.

Total daily caloric expenditure: 3552

Because I'm a simple guy I like to keep diet as much of a no-brainer as possible. For this reason each day will consist of 4 meals and 1 snack. Each meal will be IDENTICAL. The snack will consist of 2 scoops of AllTheWhey 20/30 with water. Here is the breakdown of each meal:

1 grilled chicken breast
2 cups chopped raw broccoli
1 cup cooked wild rice
3 caps of Fish Oil

If I did my calculations correctly, the daily macronutrient intake is:

300g/202g/47g
protein/carbs/fat

Hefty amount of fiber in there too.

Total caloric intake: 2431

Caloric deficit: 1121

That's about 2 pounds of fat per week.

I'll modify the diet and cardio as time progresses to take into account the weight I've lost.

At some point I'll probably be adding some "fat burning substances" to the mix, but probably not until at least 4 weeks.

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
ohh hurray :) this will be fun .. well for me watching .. dieting sucks major ass

i would STRONGLY suggest hiring someone for the last 4 weeks or at LEAST the last week because it can be pretty complicated ... it is expensive however

you can always feel free to PM me .. if i can help in anyway i'd be more than happy to try to

JonesersRX7

JonesersRX7

Awards
  • Established
Good luck man... update as often as possible for some motivation.

Going to do any progress pics?

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
As far as various additional compounds in my arsenal at my disposal.

Hypothetically, in some alternate universe, there is a guy with my name who will be doing the following in addition to this diet plan:

For the last 11 weeks leading up to the contest -

Week 1-10: 100mg Test Prop EOD
Week 4-11: 75mg Tren Ace EOD

Plus, this hypothetical guy might be alternating between clenbuterol + ketotifen and ECA for the last 12 weeks.

Don't have a diurrhetic strategy yet.

If I can remember to, I'll do progress pics.

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Contest is mid-March. Usually around the 20th or so.

The NPC hasn't released a contest schedule for next year yet.

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
i would run the prop a week past the tren as opposed to vice versa as you have it set up

well personally i would run gear starting now all the way until the show :)

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i would run the prop a week past the tren as opposed to vice versa as you have it set up

well personally i would run gear starting now all the way until the show :)
I would never want to run any aromatizing compound the week of a show.

I've already submitted myself to the idea that I will feel like **** the week of the show. Might as well make the most of it by making sure I'm as dry as can be.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Hey Null, I know nothing about contest prep, but it might be a good idea to megadose BCAAs (40g) during your prep. I've found that it is very muscle sparing.

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
Null i cut prop out the last week of my show but there's other things that don't aromatize :)

IMHO masteron is a must the last 5-6 weeks (haha i know i'm infamous for telling most people not to use it lol)

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
No access to Masteron. Just Test Prop and Tren Ace.

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Ok, First day done.

I gotta say it is TOUGH to choke down 2 cups of chopped broccoli in one sitting. I think I'm going to rework my meals to halve the broccoli content. 8 cups a day is too much. Otherwise I'm going to drop weight too quickly.

Apowerz6

Apowerz6

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Null i feel you on the choking down 2 cups of Broccoli. I am doing the Beverly show, and today was my first day !!! 2 cups of green beans, and 2 cups of salad. One thing i can say is taht i am full, and feeling energized. The guys at Beverly sent me a meal plan as well as said they would coach me so i can say i have the coach part in check. I don't think ill be using any gear, but it is not a tested nor natural show anymore, but i am thinking about the orals to harden me up, so if you have any ideas.

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Woke up this morning with a headache. I'm thinking it is dehydration. I'm used to eating food with high water content. So I'm going to have to be religious with drinking water.

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
drink lots of water .. try to get at least 1.5 gals a day in

punta

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Good luck bro, I havent competed but I plan to in the future. Ill keep an eye on this thread.

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
some pics

Here are some pics.

Front Lat Spread, Rear Lat Spread, Front Double Bicep, and a pic of my imbalanced quads.

I've got a long way to go.....

P.S. Sorry about the ass sweat. I just did cardio in that pic

Attachments

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
looking THICK!!!

can you take some without your shirt on though? its difficult to assess this way

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I'm hesitant to take my shirt of for the time being because the acne on my back has always been really terrible. It's especially noticeable when I don't have a tan.

JonesersRX7

JonesersRX7

Awards
  • Established
I'm hesitant to take my shirt of for the time being because the acne on my back has always been really terrible. It's especially noticeable when I don't have a tan.
I don't think alot of us care man.. we either have or have had so it's not like we are judging your complexion.

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Here's some new pictures.

Please ignore the lizard-skin on my upper back.

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
very thick man .. you're gonna do really well .. seriously

gotta work on posing :)

chasec

Pityin' fools since '81
Awards
  • Established
fun, i'll be watching while i munch taco-bell!

Cuffs

Cuffs

Awards
  • Established
Looking thick dude. You should come out very good. We have somewhat similar body types, except my legs are still learning to grow...lol.

Like Glen suggested, work on posing. Your diet looks boring as hell, don't know if I'd have what it takes to do it.
:yawn:
Best of luck to you. I'll be watching this progress with anticipation.:thumbsup:

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Thanks. Yeah, my diet is definitely boring and I realise, unnecessarily so.

It's just easy to cook. Now that I've been on it for a week, I've been looking at ways to incorporate some variety.

For example, oatmeal for breakfast.

Plus I'm looking into some spices that don't have any calories. At dinner I've been adding garlic powder to my chicken to make it tolerable. LOL, the other day I put cinamon and splenda on it. Sounds gross, but when you're eating the same friggin thing every day four times a day ANY variety is good.

Apowerz6

Apowerz6

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
peppers are invaluable too, splenda is a life saver. Fresh onions, green and red peppers work for chicken for grilling. Try also marinades, like lemon juice, barbeque sauce, or italian as a marinade are tasty too. Please take those multi's and extra c because with all the veggies,and chicken you can be sure to get sick with an weaked immune system, from the stress of dieting, and everyday life stressors. Btw you are looking good so kick ass, and good luck !!!

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I just made some curry this weekend. Tumeric, ground cayan pepper, garlic powder, and a pinch of onion powder.

I grilled 4 chicken brests last night coated in the stuff. Today I'll find out how it tastes.

Oh, and I changed breakfast. My breakfast is now oatmeal (1 instant packet) with 2 scoops of ATW low carb MRP.

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
be wary of instant oatmeal usually has a lot of sugar

you can get 1 minute quaker oats that are 100% oats

Apowerz6

Apowerz6

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I second that, also also you might want to consider Grits, as they are filling, low glycemic and need a little butter a little salt, and no sugar.

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I didn't buy flavored oatmeal. I bought regular oatmeal. The regular flavor has 0 sugar.

I have insant grits too (once again, unflavored), but grits have much less fiber than oatmeal.

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
UPDATE!!

I just found out the contest date for the NPC NY Metropolitan Bodybuilding competition is on April 15th rather than March 18th as originally estimated.

Which means I started 20 weeks out instead of 16. joy :frustrate

I am still more than 18 week out currently. I have already lost about 6 pounds. Since I will be dieting for an extra 4 weeks than anticipated, I will add 1 cheat meat per week for the next 4 weeks. I won't go crazy on this meal, it isn't a total cheat. I will count the calories of this meal and only go slightly over my daily intake for that day. However I will not count macronutrients on that day.

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
UPDATE!!

I just found out the contest date for the NPC NY Metropolitan Bodybuilding competition is on April 15th rather than March 18th as originally estimated.

Which means I started 20 weeks out instead of 16. joy :frustrate

I am still more than 18 week out currently. I have already lost about 6 pounds. Since I will be dieting for an extra 4 weeks than anticipated, I will add 1 cheat meat per week for the next 4 weeks. I won't go crazy on this meal, it isn't a total cheat. I will count the calories of this meal and only go slightly over my daily intake for that day. However I will not count macronutrients on that day.
Don't cheat.

I say try and hit your mark for the 16 weeks out and then you can experiment with a loading phase over the next 2-3 weeks to see what methods fills you out the best.

Never sacrifice on conditioning. This is a contest. Your ass are in trunks in front of people, center stage. You don't want to look back and think "what if I didn't have that cheat meal?".

I know its just a meal but if you don't NEED it... don't take it. Don't plan for it and you won't be tempted to take it unless you absolutely need to.

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Don't cheat.

I say try and hit your mark for the 16 weeks out and then you can experiment with a loading phase over the next 2-3 weeks to see what methods fills you out the best.

Never sacrifice on conditioning. This is a contest. Your ass are in trunks in front of people, center stage. You don't want to look back and think "what if I didn't have that cheat meal?".

I know its just a meal but if you don't NEED it... don't take it. Don't plan for it and you won't be tempted to take it unless you absolutely need to.
I planned for 16 weeks. I started at 20. If I continue at my planned rate I will hit my goal weight a month too early.

With 1 cheat meal a week I will slow my progress very very slightly. So instead of 2 pounds of fat per week it will be 1.75 pounds of fat per week. For 4 of those weeks. So really it's only going to be a difference of 1 pound. Which means I'll STILL be 7 pounds lower than anticipated.

I don't see a problem in it.

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I planned for 16 weeks. I started at 20. If I continue at my planned rate I will hit my goal weight a month too early.

With 1 cheat meal a week I will slow my progress very very slightly. So instead of 2 pounds of fat per week it will be 1.75 pounds of fat per week. For 4 of those weeks. So really it's only going to be a difference of 1 pound. Which means I'll STILL be 7 pounds lower than anticipated.

I don't see a problem in it.
Of course you don't see a problem in it.

Obviously everything always goes 100% as planned in your life.

Whatever man. Good luck. Hope it does goo 100% as you planned it. Hope you don't stall out for a few weeks. Hope you don't get a slight injury making it so you have to work around it. Hope you don't get a cold or the flu. Hope you don't.. ahh the list goes on.

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Of course you don't see a problem in it.

Obviously everything always goes 100% as planned in your life.

Whatever man. Good luck. Hope it does goo 100% as you planned it. Hope you don't stall out for a few weeks. Hope you don't get a slight injury making it so you have to work around it. Hope you don't get a cold or the flu. Hope you don't.. ahh the list goes on.

I know what your saying. The thing is, I already planned for a lot of problems to happen by starting 16 weeks out. My plan is based on 12 weeks of dieting, but I'm doing it for 16. Now that I'm doing it for 20, it gives me room to breathe a little. For example I planned on hernia surgery in the beginning of january. It's only a couple days out of the gym and reduced weights for a few weeks after that. I'll just up the volume considerably. Nonetheless, now, it will be 12 weeks or more form competition when I'll have the surgery so I'll have EVEN MORE leeway whereas before I was counting on far less.

Besides, seriously to not eat anything at Christmas dinner would ruin the entire holiday. The contest is well and good but Christmas day would seriously suck ass if I was hungry and annoyed all day and had to watch everyone chow down on delivious ham, mashed potatoes with grazy, string beans, etc. while I'm stuck with dry chicken, dry rice, and fuckin dry ass broccoli.

On top of that, I'd alienate my entire family. They'd ostracize me.

Seriously, the contest is on April 15th. My plan was for 16 weeks of dieting in order to account for things that could go wrong. 16 weeks starts the day after Christmas. Cheating 1 meal a week for a few weeks I'm not even supposed to be on a diet at all isn't going to sabotage a 16 week diet that hasn't started yet.

I mean, hell I was eating like a pig leading up to my diet; basically a see-food diet. Did that hinder my ability to stop everything and eat very strictly? No.

It's not a question of willpower it is a question of common sense. Why should I be punishing myself during weeks I'm not even supposed to be on a diet? Thus I'm giving myself 1 meal a week where I don't have to eat friggin chicken rice and broccoli. 1 meal where I can maybe have a small hamburger. Or maybe some potatoes. Or god forbid some pork.

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I didn't say anything about Christmas and neither did you initially.

Enjoy your Christmas, sure, but I would think it more prudent to say I'll take a cheat meal if and when I realyl need it as opposed to automatically scheduling it in.

Just don't to see you potentially playing the "what if" game at the end.

No flame of offence intended bud :)

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Enjoy your Christmas, sure, but I would think it more prudent to say I'll take a cheat meal if and when I realyl need it as opposed to automatically scheduling it in.
Ah, ok I see. I think that's where we differ. I prefer to be scheduled, it is easier to track how I'm doing and to STAY on track. If I took cheat meals based on desire I would cheat all the time. I prefer to keep my desire in check. Thus I think I'd be far more successful at keeping cheat meals down to a minimum by scheduling 1 per week and planning ahead to what degree I am going to cheat.

I do not view cheating as a lapse in my dietary control. I view it as a diversion from the standard. Everything still must be planned, but a cheat meal allows me to eat something enjoyable. Planned, and within limits, but enjoyable instead of purely healthy.

Likely my cheat meals will be on Sunday. We go over my girlfriend's parents house every Sunday. The past 2 Sundays I've had to bring my food. When not on a diet I don't really ever cook anything. I just nuke stuff or eat out. At work I would always get lunch at the cafeteria and load up on pasta. Mind you I was bulking, but the point is, I didn't have great tasting food at home. Thus, scheduling my cheat meal for Sunday will allow me to make the msot of it; I'll be able to eat the best tasting food AND it will likely be a lot healthier than anything I'd have at home outside my dietfood.

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
coming from someone who has ACTUALLY competed

it is REALLY hard to hold 4-5% bf for an additional month .. you are better off adding in the cheat meals and slowing things down

scheduling cheats is a DEFINITE YES .. otherwise you may lose will power .. its easier to skip if not needed

i agree 100% with your plan null

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
An update on my weight. When I started I was 216-215.

As of this morning, Thursday, I am 208. That's 7-8 pounds in less than 2 weeks so far. Definitely mostly water. At this rate, however, I'm looking at about around 3 pounds of water for every 2 pounds of fat. If I lighten up the estimates slightly, and say it's 1 for 1, then I could theoretically actually compete as a lightweight at my current muscle mass.

That's pushing it though. Hopefully when I start the tren and test I'll put a little muscle on, seeing as how I'm not on an extreme diet and I'm not using any fat burners currently.

IRserge

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Lookin good their null, I'm just gonna go and throw in my 2 cents in here. It seems to me your getting ready for this show with a calculator, which is a huge red X. Since ur starting at 20 weeks out it might seem sensible to throw in a cheat once a week but I wouldn't condone it, the difference between 6 and 4 percent is noticable on stage under bright lights standing next to other National caliber competitors. To me thats worth every minute of missing Christmas dinner and Sunday dinner. I had to diet through my Birthday and a bunch of other holidays the get in shape and yes my family tried to force me into eating some of the food and got upset when I didn't, but in the end they arent the ones standing on stage in front of a judging panel and hundreds of people in posing trunks. Then again I've never used gear for a prep and dont know how that would change things. Just my thoughts.

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Yeah, gear does change a heck of a lot. For one thing, if my diet is lagging, I can throw in some clen to speed things up a lot and not worry about losing any muscle.

As for my target bodyfat percentage, my estimates put my goal bodyfat at under 3%. So it hopefully won't be the difference of 4% and 6% but a difference of holding 3% for 1 or 2 weeks versus holding 3% for 5 or 6 weeks.

Grunt76

Grunt76

Awards
  • Established
UNDER 3%?

ROFL
Now THAT is what I call unconstructive. He says his calculations put his TARGET bf% below 3%. He's not saying he'll come in at 2%... Grrrrrrrrrr.........

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I should have elaborated. Sorry.

Your organs alone hold about 3% bodyfat.

I find people GROSSLY understate bodyfat measurements. So many variables and really, it doesn't matter what you are as long as you are the leanest you can be when you hit that stage.

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Now THAT is what I call unconstructive. He says his calculations put his TARGET bf% below 3%. He's not saying he'll come in at 2%... Grrrrrrrrrr.........
Give me 5 seconds to fix my error before you slam me.

Posted at around the same time so obviously I was clarrifying it before you even made your post.

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
well i respectfully disagree with serge

it depends on the person .. i cheated every week up until my show .. i truly found my metabolism skyrocketed the days after my cheat meals .. not necessary until you are under 10% but with 20 weeks to go you have PLENTY of time and this will help keep you sane

just my 2 cents

Atlas

Awards
Hey Null, for whatever reason I couldn't post here in the past (very weird) but hit me up man. [email protected] I am from the NY/NJ area and have some questions for you bro. I hope to do the Atlantic States in June!

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
When I speak of 3% I am only referring to subcutaneous.

Calipur measurements to not measure any other kind of fat anyway.

Btw, 3% is NOT what pads your inner organs. 3% is an arbitrary percentage that varies based on total weight. A certain conrete amount of fat is required in order to maintain life, and it only amounts to about 3-4 pounds of fat total. For a 150 pounds person it would be about 2.0-2.66% bodyfat. For a 200 pound person though it's only 1.5-2%. For a 300 pound monster it's only 1-1.33%.

Anyway, total bodyfat content requirement doesn't increase as you increase in total size. Which is why a lot of pros can stay at like 8% most of the year; 8% isn't as low as you think when you weigh 280 pounds.

Funny Monkey

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Keep it up man. I know when I diet the cheat meal helps the metabolism and helps my head stay on strait. It's so easy to stay on your diet for the week when you know that cheat meal is coming up. I eat about 4 cups of brocoli a day and I just pop some in my mouth with the chicken it helps it wet down some and hides the earthy flavor. I like mine with some season all on it. However the sodium wouldnt be good for you. I dont have any plans of competing any time soon. Military life puts some serious stress on me however my diet is good and I haven't missed a workout yet. Keep it up