Counterfeit Supplements

  1. Diamond Member
    T-Bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    16,341
    Rep Power
    5841033
    Level
    98
    Lv. Percent
    74.94%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

    Counterfeit Supplements


    Recently I have seen a few posts about this. People thinking that the supplement they purchased isn't actually what it claims to be. Not in the sense that the company that produced it didn't put the ingredients they say they did in it. In the sense that they purchased a specific brand supplement that they normally use and some unscrupulous person or company "faked" it by purchasing a bottle, labels and caps similar to the one of the original company. Does this actually happen and how often if so?. Also how would you know your product is fake?

  2. Featured Author
    Patrick Arnold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    4,119
    Rep Power
    554326
    Level
    50
    Lv. Percent
    40.47%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
    Recently I have seen a few posts about this. People thinking that the supplement they purchased isn't actually what it claims to be. Not in the sense that the company that produced it didn't put the ingredients they say they did in it. In the sense that they purchased a specific brand supplement that they normally use and some unscrupulous person or company "faked" it by purchasing a bottle, labels and caps similar to the one of the original company. Does this actually happen and how often if so?. Also how would you know your product is fake?

    u are saying that someone other than the company makes a fake label and fake product and gets it out on the market?


    i sure hope that doesnt happen but its something that could. especially if the product is expensive.


    i would look for label quality, lot numbers (are the printed in the same manner) and the bottle itself and seals etc.
    Anabolicminds.com Featured Author
  3. New Member
    phoenixx's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  176 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    28
    Level
    2
    Lv. Percent
    14.83%

    Yup...


    It happens and can hurt manufacturers pretty bad when it does.

    I work in the business and I've seen a lot of fakes and some are too good to tell. I saw your post and wanted to jump in on the discussion. The best way to know is does it work like it has before and can you trace the supply chain? Bear in mind this is not an end customer's point of view.

    Label- good point. The label needs to be spot-on and lot number can be checked by calling the company. However with the quality of scanners and printers expect a good label. Most will print overseas and have them because none of the big US printers would let that fly. Not everyone uses lot numbers either.

    Bottles and seals- If there's something wrong just run. You would have to be ****ing retarded to mess up the same bottles and seals that every manufacturer uses and are super cheap and easy to use. All that happens when a bottle is sealed is that the cap is dropped on, induction sealed (5 sec), and then a plastic sleeve dropped on and hit for a sec with a heat gun. Capsules are very easy to duplicate as well but someone has to have a machine to get the powder in and then polish the capsule.

    So I guess from an end consumer's point of view you definitely need to pay attention to the label- so it's holographic... great. They misspelled something. Even if it's legit you don't want to potentially trust them with your life. If there's not the usual effect on you from the product call the company and start figuring it out. Everything is up in the air right now and the last thing they want to do is lose a customer.

    If it's a product that's a little more offbeat... get to know the people first. Trust your gut on that. Sorry about the novel this gets me fired up.
    •   
       

  4. ThunderHumper's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Age
    24
    Posts
    1,058
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    26
    Lv. Percent
    18.92%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    this happens a lot to the idiots that buy their ph's on ebay and amazon. amazons fine if you buy from the manufacturer, but dum kids find it cheaper to go into the used section to save a buck
  5. Featured Author
    Patrick Arnold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    4,119
    Rep Power
    554326
    Level
    50
    Lv. Percent
    40.47%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by phoenixx View Post
    It happens and can hurt manufacturers pretty bad when it does.

    I work in the business and I've seen a lot of fakes and some are too good to tell. I saw your post and wanted to jump in on the discussion. The best way to know is does it work like it has before and can you trace the supply chain? Bear in mind this is not an end customer's point of view.

    Label- good point. The label needs to be spot-on and lot number can be checked by calling the company. However with the quality of scanners and printers expect a good label. Most will print overseas and have them because none of the big US printers would let that fly. Not everyone uses lot numbers either. .

    Lot numbers are supposed to be stamped on, they are not part of the label. If the lot number is part of the label print then its probably a fake.

    Also, it is required by law that a lot number and expiration date be put on supplement products. If they are not then they may still be what is in the bottle, however i would be wary to trust a company that cant follow the most basic standards of manufacturing
    Anabolicminds.com Featured Author
  6. ThunderHumper's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Age
    24
    Posts
    1,058
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    26
    Lv. Percent
    18.92%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Arnold

    Lot numbers are supposed to be stamped on, they are not part of the label. If the lot number is part of the label print then its probably a fake.

    Also, it is required by law that a lot number and expiration date be put on supplement products. If they are not then they may still be what is in the bottle, however i would be wary to trust a company that cant follow the most basic standards of manufacturing
    manufacture date is allowed to replace exp date
  7. Sponsor
    mw1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    5,887
    Rep Power
    3745099
    Level
    79
    Lv. Percent
    46.65%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Arnold View Post
    Lot numbers are supposed to be stamped on, they are not part of the label. If the lot number is part of the label print then its probably a fake.

    Also, it is required by law that a lot number and expiration date be put on supplement products. If they are not then they may still be what is in the bottle, however i would be wary to trust a company that cant follow the most basic standards of manufacturing
    I have seen quite a few counterfeits on Amazon with a stamped exp date.
    If they are going to go thru the trouble a making labels , etc, then buying a $10 stamp should be much of a problem

    Serious Nutrition Solution ~~

    mw at seriousnutritionsolutions dot com
    snsgamers.com
  8. New Member
    phoenixx's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  176 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    28
    Level
    2
    Lv. Percent
    14.83%

    Quote Originally Posted by mw1 View Post
    I have seen quite a few counterfeits on Amazon with a stamped exp date.
    If they are going to go thru the trouble a making labels , etc, then buying a $10 stamp should be much of a problem
    Ha true it's the little things that count. I guess stay away from Amazon unless you can locate a real website from the seller. If not buyer beware!
  9. Professional Member
    PalmFist's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    4,265
    Rep Power
    1896189
    Level
    64
    Lv. Percent
    98.94%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    A simple fake is one that is purchased, used, then had other caps placed within; its not that hard to place a seal or wrap on a bottle. I find that even when I purchase from a known and reliable source such as BB.com, many of my protein tubs seem like they have been opened prior to my receiving them. The seal is often detached already or comes off with the lid, leading me to suspect tampering. And the wrap itself is usually not that secure to begin with either. Fortunately its only protein and it either is or is not protein. But the above mentioned method could be used to sell someone something other than the actual product.
    And I hope none of the products I purchase are ever tampered with! We spend way too much money on bodybuilding supplements to have something detrimental like that happen!
  10. Featured Author
    Patrick Arnold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    4,119
    Rep Power
    554326
    Level
    50
    Lv. Percent
    40.47%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by PalmFist View Post
    A simple fake is one that is purchased, used, then had other caps placed within; its not that hard to place a seal or wrap on a bottle. I find that even when I purchase from a known and reliable source such as BB.com, many of my protein tubs seem like they have been opened prior to my receiving them. The seal is often detached already or comes off with the lid, leading me to suspect tampering.
    this happens when you use those foamy pressure seals with powdered products sometimes. The powder gets between the bottle and the seal and it does not stick well when the lid is tightened down. Thats why we use foil seal that is attached using heat with our powdered products
    Anabolicminds.com Featured Author
  11. Professional Member
    PalmFist's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    4,265
    Rep Power
    1896189
    Level
    64
    Lv. Percent
    98.94%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Arnold View Post
    this happens when you use those foamy pressure seals with powdered products sometimes. The powder gets between the bottle and the seal and it does not stick well when the lid is tightened down. Thats why we use foil seal that is attached using heat with our powdered products
    Ah... Very well then. Good to know the difference and that some manufacturers have addressed this problem.
  12. Diamond Member
    T-Bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    16,341
    Rep Power
    5841033
    Level
    98
    Lv. Percent
    74.94%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

    I see a lot of posts about suspected facts at Usp Labs forum. It's mostly guys from places outside the United States.
  13. Elite Member
    Young Gotti's Avatar
    Stats
    5'5"  100 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    5,444
    Rep Power
    1292453
    Level
    61
    Lv. Percent
    69.17%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    i've seen it happen a few times now with a few different companies

    i've also had a friend take oxyelite pro and we always just referred to it as oep, so when he went to order more, he went to amazon and found a white bottle with purple letters just called "oep" and got ripped off
  14. Diamond Member
    T-Bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    16,341
    Rep Power
    5841033
    Level
    98
    Lv. Percent
    74.94%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

    I always research the company I'm buying from. Some people are a little too paranoid though and think they have a "counterfeit" supplement because they aren't getting the results the expect from it. I doubt it worth the money and the hassle to actually produce fake supplements anyway.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. CLA Supplementation
    By YellowJacket in forum Supplements
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 08-04-2012, 09:46 PM
  2. Waste of $$/Scam Supplements
    By YellowJacket in forum Supplements
    Replies: 87
    Last Post: 07-23-2007, 10:23 PM
  3. Protein supplement
    By xcreed in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-25-2002, 11:27 PM
  4. Strangest supplement ad
    By Sanosuke in forum General Chat
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-28-2002, 03:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in