Advice for an old man!

Archer89

Archer89

Awards
my father is 65 yrs old. he is having kidney problems i.e protein leaking into his blood stream also low test levels (not due to kidneys) which is to be expected as we get older. i want to try an help him out as much as i can but i cant do much except give him information while im in afghanistan.

now at 65 my pops is in pretty good shape. he runs the lake behind his house every other day, thats 3 miles! his joints have been hurting more but he got some fish oil and that should help him there for the most part. as for testestrone and raising his levels what would be a good way for him to go about doing that? i am aware that simply working out will raise them but over a longer period of time.

is there a test booster or anything else that he can take that will have minimal side effects if at all any? any advice on dieting and exercise could help out my old man? thanks for any info

SkyWeasal

SkyWeasal

Awards
I just turned 60 and have been on testosterone patches for almost a year now. I tried all the test rising supplements and exercise and whatnot and they didn't really do squat. Went to several doctors and one finally diagnosed me with primary testicular failure and prescribed Androderm. Life is a whole lot better now. My advise is to first have blood tests conducted to see where he currently stands. Problem is many of us are "in range" and if so many docs will not prescribe supplemental or replacement testosterone. If your dad is low but in range and the doc won't do anything you either have to find another doc or go off the grid.

Stay safe over there and come back soon.

Archer89

Archer89

Awards
thank you for the advice i will pass it along to him. 2 more months and im back home with the wife and kids! thanks again

DragonRider

Awards
  • Established
I just turned 60 and have been on testosterone patches for almost a year now. I tried all the test rising supplements and exercise and whatnot and they didn't really do squat. Went to several doctors and one finally diagnosed me with primary testicular failure and prescribed Androderm. Life is a whole lot better now. My advise is to first have blood tests conducted to see where he currently stands. Problem is many of us are "in range" and if so many docs will not prescribe supplemental or replacement testosterone. If your dad is low but in range and the doc won't do anything you either have to find another doc or go off the grid.

Stay safe over there and come back soon.
Great post SkyWeasal. If men understood the function of the (HPTA) hypothalamic-pituitary-testicular axis better, we could immediately shoot holes in the possibility of any substance raising testosterone naturally (for long enough to make a difference). The HPTA acts just like a governor on a carburetor. Once a certain speed is reached, the goveror prevents it from going any higher. The HPTA does the same thing for testosterone. When it senses a certain level of androgen or estrogen the HPTA downregulates the signals to the testes that produce testosterone thereby maintaining homeostasis. Some of the test boosters actually work. BUT, only long enough for the HPTA to sense the abundance and shut down natural production. In other words too short term to make any difference.

Archer89, the best thing your dad can do is get a workup from his doctor to see where his testosterone levels are. And if there is a kidney problem, it may make a difference in how they might treat him. I have been spilling protein since my first physical when I was a teenager (going into the Air Force). However it's just barely over range and a lot of doctors way overreact to this and make a bigger deal out of it than needed.