Whats working for older guys?

Page 3 of 5 First 12345 Last

1. Thanks for all the good responses. How about whats workin in terms of sets, reps, and variations essentially what techniques are getting results for older guys, that arent using TRT or HRT. Im looking for techniques that older weightlifters use to maintain.

2. bigest attemtion to me is doms and metabolism lis way slower even,with bcaa and ect.
    •   

3. WHY NOT GET HRT

screw OTC hormones- not a fan here, i find my gains from Injectable AAS are
    easier to maintain
    less harsh on my body and organs
    less harsh in side effects
    Test e/dbol/epi/winnie
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/cycle-info/164764-schwellington-has-been.html

4. Quote Originally Posted by schwellington View Post
    WHY NOT GET HRT

screw OTC hormones- not a fan here, i find my gains from Injectable AAS are
    easier to maintain
    less harsh on my body and organs
    less harsh in side effects
    I hear you, but Im only 57, tried the test patch years ago and got gyno symptoms.

5. 40y/o, high reps been working great for me, 15 and up on everything!!!
    Think training's hard,. try losing!
    •   

6. Yeah, high reps have been shown to work well, its all about hypertrophy.

7. your 57? your a prime choice for HRT sir, and there is things you can take to combat gyno
    Test e/dbol/epi/winnie
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/cycle-info/164764-schwellington-has-been.html

8. im in my young 40's and love love love me some dc training. unlike the younger guys though i keep total reps/set a bit higher. chest for example is 20-25 rp/set

9. Quote Originally Posted by woody48 View Post
    i know what daa and nettle roots is but what is AI? thanks
    AI == Aromatase Inhibitor, to suppress Estrogen. Most people seem to be using PES's Erase with DAA these days. Some say the AI is not necessary. Other people even say you need PCT after DAA, yet others use DAA as a PCT. Patrick Arnold says you need no AI, no PCT, and you can run DAA as long as you want. Really, I don't know what to think. I've run a cycle with DAA, nettles and Erase, and a cycle of just DAA, and one with DAA and nettles. I think I got some mild effect from DAA. Not sure that the Erase or nettles added anything to that. FYI, there are some people who think that DAA may have brain toxic effects.

10. No Bull, KnowBull,
    You need to take another look at TRT. I still use my All-Natural, Bio-Identical Progesterone which I get from Vitacost to take care of any gyno. In past years I also used the Epi/Form combo sucessfully and before and during both of these I have always used my old standby of Creatine(Mono)/Beta-Alanine and AAKG. One of the best things I have done for myself is to recognise that I need time to recover and in the Gym I allow as much time as I need till I feel ready to ATTACK the next set, not just do it but to do so aggressively. Overall, I have settled in to an 8 day week and do 4 different splits every other day with a major power exercise at the center of each. That gives me a solid week of recovery between heavy workouts for each bodypart. I haven't felt weak in over a decade since I started treating my body with "timely" respect.

11. Thanks Dutch, and everyone else. I see guys my age that have probably never touched a weight or probably even exercised showing signs of sarcopenia. Creatine does work well. High levels of fitness can be maintained at age, but exercise and its application in a manner that befits an aging metabolism have to be used. I cant imagine working a part once a week and getting or maintaining musculature. I have read that a break of more than 48 hrs, diminishes returns. 3x weekly has been my mainstay for decades. Tried a split routine, but really didnt see much of a difference. Dutchman, if youre reading this I was wondering if you could post your routine, a split eod as you mentioned sounds feasible.

12. Quote Originally Posted by Knowbull View Post
    Thanks Dutch, and everyone else. I see guys my age that have probably never touched a weight or probably even exercised showing signs of sarcopenia. Creatine does work well. High levels of fitness can be maintained at age, but exercise and its application in a manner that befits an aging metabolism have to be used. I cant imagine working a part once a week and getting or maintaining musculature. I have read that a break of more than 48 hrs, diminishes returns. 3x weekly has been my mainstay for decades. Tried a split routine, but really didnt see much of a difference. Dutchman, if youre reading this I was wondering if you could post your routine, a split eod as you mentioned sounds feasible.
    These are my workouts the last (workout) week including today:
    Back/Shoulders
    Warmup with a little 15lber doing several sets of 12 for each RC. (Done before every workout)
    Pullups: 2 sets of parallel grip and 2 wide grip 20 reps E (each)
    Seated Machine Pulldowns: 1X6 E @ 200/220/240
    Seated Machine Shoulder Presses 1X8 E @ 100/110/120
    Smith Machine Rack Deadlifts: 1X5@ 150/190/240/280/320/370/420, 1 X2 @ 460 (I allow 10lbs for the bar)
    Smith Machine Front Shrugs: 2X10 @ 210
    " " Rear " 2X10 @ 150

Tris/Bis
    Weighted DIPs: Bodyweight 1X25, 45 lbs 1X15, 75 lbs 1X12, 90 lbs, 2X12
    Smith Machine Close Grip Triceps Extensions 1X5 @ 150/190/240/260, 1X4 @ 280
    EasyBar Skull Crushers 1X8 @ 70/80/90/100, 1X7 @110
    DB Pullovers (Elbows in) 5X10 @ 90
    Easy Bar Curls 1X8 60/70/80/90
    Seated Curls 3X10 @ 35

Legs
    Warmup: 3X15 deep knee bends
    *****Poppers In: 1X10 @ 170/180/190
    *****Poppers Out 1X10 @ 180/190/200
    Machine Leg Raises 1X10 @ 110/120/130, 1X7 @140
    Machine Leg Curls 1X10 @ 100/110/120
    Smith Machine Squats (ATG ie. well below parallel) 1X5 @ 150/190/240/260, 1X4 @280
    Machine Toe Raises 3X15 @ 255

Chest
    Weighted DIPs: Bodyweight 1X25, 45 lbs 1X15, 75 lbs 1X12, 90 lbs, 2X12 (Lean Forward more)
    Bench Press: 1X8 @ 135/185/205, 8X8 @215
    Flys: 1X8 @ 50/60/70
    DB BP: 1X10 @70/80
    Decline BP: 1X8 @ 135/185/225, 1X10 @225 (DIPs and BP simply exhaust me, just like on Arm day!)

Knowbull I know it's not much weight compared to the big young studs around here but it is a solid attempt to build and maintain strength as I enter my 70s in less than 3 months. With my great tan and wearing a string workout shirt I get a ton of questions and admirers so that really cranks up my ego and motivates the heck out of me to do my best. Again though, this takes 1hr 15 to 1hr 30 because of the recovery time I allow myself. Hopes this helps a bit, I think it is the first time I have ever posted my complete workout schedule. Tear it up guys LOL!

13. Thanks Dutchman! Please , those poundages are great! It proves the myth of aging. A guy just has to stay with the weights, thats all there is to it.

14. Quote Originally Posted by Dutchman View Post
    These are my workouts the last (workout) week including today:
    ... Tear it up guys LOL!
    This is great Dutch, thanks for sharing. You keep inspiring us younger old ****s to stay motivated and be in it for the long haul.

15. [QUOTE=Dutchman;2931301]These are my workouts the last (workout) week including today:
    Tris/Bis
    Weighted DIPs: Bodyweight 1X25, 45 lbs 1X15, 75 lbs 1X12, 90 lbs, 2X12

A 69 yr old doing weighted dips?!?!?! I have a new hero.

16. Yeah, its a testament to what we can do at any age its a marvel. I think the main point is to keep exercising as much as tolerable. Even with out supps, Experimenting with diet helps too, steamed veggies, raw fruits, meat seem to make a difference, all that processed stuff and heavy carbs really drain energy.

17. A slim hot 22 yo with big boobs works for me

18. Quote Originally Posted by dirtwarrior View Post
    A slim hot 22 yo with big boobs works for me
    Yes, that will drain energy, but also increase Testoserone. An integral part of regimen.

19. For you guys with experience, what would be a good first time product/stack? I am almost 40, was getting in pretty good shape, but marriage issues and work stress killed my body. I have the horrible addition of about 17-20lbs of fat in the midsection. Basically, the stress had my body producing cortisol chronically for almost two years. I have changed up my routine for now to less intense, higher rep to reduce the cortisol production. I know that hormones have not come back into balance, but I would like to start off with something to help increase mass, once I'm good to go. Basically, I want to burn the fat off, and build as much lean mass as I can while getting rid of the fat. Greatly appreciate your experience and knowledge!

20. I see the posts about higher rep sets! Is that better for us older guys? What is an effective product to block and/or reduce estrogen?

21. Yeah, Ive looked around online and reps should be 8-12, sets 2-3, 2-3 times a week. So a guy has to stay with it, its invigorating, if nothing else. Getting huge and staying that way takes a lot of food.

22. idk if you guys are talking about training, diet, or supps cause i just read the title, but my uncle and my old college roomate's dad, and a friend of mine at my church love IGF 2.

23. Doesnt have to be supplements, training, diet, everything that makes aging muscle respond. Exercise is the real key here, as it aids in the secretion of growth hormone and testosterone, burns fat, increases circulation, delays aging. Any pointers are good here. I know theres veteran weight lifters that post here. I know that weight lifting is beneficial, but there are changes in recovery and muscle density as we combat the aging process.

24. An older lifter should focus on stretching too, as tendons age they become stiffer and less pliable.
    Lift heavy and eat lots of dead animals! Yes, that's me in my avatar.

25. Quote Originally Posted by avsfreak24 View Post
    I see the posts about higher rep sets! Is that better for us older guys? What is an effective product to block and/or reduce estrogen?
    Reduce body fat to lower aromastase enzyme which converts precious testosterone to estrogen. If your hormones are already out of balance, why do you want to introduce a 'stack' to further complicate things?

Lowering intensity to reduce cortisol is not a solution. Exercise induced stress is what causes the body to grow and adapt. Try to reduce your other stresses in life and don't worry about what happens in the gym.

I have found that increased volume and intensity helps me as I get older. If I start slowing down, so will my body in adaption to exercise load.

26. Quote Originally Posted by MacTech View Post
    Reduce body fat to lower aromastase enzyme which converts precious testosterone to estrogen. If your hormones are already out of balance, why do you want to introduce a 'stack' to further complicate things?

Lowering intensity to reduce cortisol is not a solution. Exercise induced stress is what causes the body to grow and adapt. Try to reduce your other stresses in life and don't worry about what happens in the gym.

I have found that increased volume and intensity helps me as I get older. If I start slowing down, so will my body in adaption to exercise load.
    Ive noticed that too, I think maintaining a varied level of intensity utilizing step load periodized training. I simply cant lift heavy all the time. Periodization aids in recovery, overtraining is not a myth.

27. You want to know whats really working well for me? Giving up on anything except BCAAs and a simple mostly stim preworkout, and just concentrating on consistency in diet + workouts. Amazingly without thinking that "i'll lose extra fat with taking x" or "i'll gain more lean mass taking y" and only paying attention to diet + workout i'm doing better. maybe just me. I'm going to reintroduce stuff soon though

28. Yeh, thats it, exercise and decent dieting for the sake of it. I take less supplements than before. Concentrating on exercise itself, changing workouts, sets, reps, is valuable. Sure supplements help but the primary focus is on lifting weights in a beneficial and healthy manner.

29. Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    You want to know whats really working well for me? Giving up on anything except BCAAs and a simple mostly stim preworkout, and just concentrating on consistency in diet + workouts. Amazingly without thinking that "i'll lose extra fat with taking x" or "i'll gain more lean mass taking y" and only paying attention to diet + workout i'm doing better. maybe just me. I'm going to reintroduce stuff soon though
    I learned the hard way that my money is better spent on food or protein powder, most supplements aren't worth the money.
    Lift heavy and eat lots of dead animals! Yes, that's me in my avatar.

30. Quote Originally Posted by bad rad View Post
    I learned the hard way that my money is better spent on food or protein powder, most supplements aren't worth the money.
    I'm not sure i'd quite say that, but without diet + routine + sleep being consistent, nothing does a whole lot And expecting supplements to be the crutch to make up for poor diet or training surely doesn't work.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Diet for the older guys
    By jmoney02 in forum 35 and Older
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-10-2009, 10:59 AM
  2. Younger girls older guys
    By lozgod in forum General Chat
    Replies: 79
    Last Post: 06-30-2009, 10:52 AM
  3. The Whats actually working log
    By ryan6f7 in forum Supplement Logs