Your expierences with PHAT?

ChefJoey

ChefJoey

Awards
Don't really have any specific questions but was more looking to hear some feedback. How your specific routine looked? Things you liked? Things you didn't like? Things you'd do different? Just some stuff along those lines.

Have been running 5/3/1 with high volume hypertrophy work for assistance and enjoying it but wanted a change for summer. I like the approach Layne takes with this focusing on strength and hypertrophy.

3clipseGT

3clipseGT

On my grind
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I enjoyed PHAT a lot and believe it hits every aspect of training very well. The only issue i have with it is that it can get boring pretty quick if you dont add in variations of exercises. Other than that i think its great.

ChefJoey

ChefJoey

Awards
I enjoyed PHAT a lot and believe it hits every aspect of training very well. The only issue i have with it is that it can get boring pretty quick if you dont add in variations of exercises. Other than that i think its great.
What exercises did you do? Did you use the exact ones in his template?

3clipseGT

3clipseGT

On my grind
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
What exercises did you do? Did you use the exact ones in his template?
Almost, i think i changed out a couple like front squat. I have never been able to get that form down very well. Other than that i pretty much did it to a T.

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
i did phat for several months last year. got bored with it though, not enough strength training for my taste. i switched out frnt squats too. and rack chins cuz they look funky. mostly everything else i kept the same

i stopped cuz i got a rotator injury btw. nothing serious, but i couldnt press right for about a month

rockme

rockme

Awards
Loved phat. More of a bodybuilding concept but it worked well for months. Coupled it with a shredding diet and got great results. Reverted back to power training and slow paced workouts with bulking nutrition, as size seems to be the focus for me lately. But do phat, it's awesome

ChefJoey

ChefJoey

Awards
Thanks guys, definetly gonna roll with it for awhile.

My next question, how is the progression system in PHAT? Looked around and can't find much and was wondering if Layne had a specific progression system

rockme

rockme

Awards
Thanks guys, definetly gonna roll with it for awhile.

My next question, how is the progression system in PHAT? Looked around and can't find much and was wondering if Layne had a specific progression system
For the power movements, I would add 5 lbs/week to the weight. When I could no longer get 3 sets of 5, I ditched the movement and selected another to replace it. All the "assistance work" you simply wing.

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
whats funny about P.H.A.T. is that there arnt any actual "power" movements in the routine at all. his "power" days should technically be considered strength days since they are strength based movements (bench press, squats/deadlifts). but i dnt think S.H.A.T. would have gotten such buzz

power = maximum velocity movements like ball slams, plyo pushups, box jumps, chest pass

just somethin to chew on

tito1217

tito1217

Awards
i followed the program for several months my self last year and it was awesome. as far at the accessories on the later of the week, the best option is to adjust them towards your needs. Also, don't go balls to the wall on the hypertrophy days, intense yes, crazy insane, nah

As to judge the increments in weights, i gave my self a goal and hit it with-in 3 months. sort of like following 5-3-1 routine the first time around, you don't want a low goal weight but don't try to add 100lbs to your deads in 3 months. (know someone who tried this)

Good luck mate