Workout Routine

Lukedavis

Awards
Please give some advice on my workout routine. I am very limited by equipment as I only have dumbbells, pull-up bar, and treadmill. I have lost 60 lbs using this equipment but now I want to start adding muscle mass. I have no gym near me and don't have hardly any money for equipment. I will workout M/W/F alternating workout A and workout B.

Workout A
Chest - hip pushups 3xFailure
Shoulders - DB Overhead Press 3x8
Triceps - Lying Triceps Extension 3x8
Back Width - Wide Grip Pull-ups 3xFailure
Back Thickness - Bent Over DB Rows 3x8

Workout B
Hams - Stiff Leg DB Deadlift 3x8
Quads - DB Lunges 3x8
Calves - Weighted Calf Raises 2x35
Biceps - DB Curls 3x8
Forearms - Hammer Curls 3x8

Days off (T/Th/Sat) I do sprinting intervals on treadmill.
Sunday - Complete day off.

My diet is pretty clean. Try to get 2800-3000 calories which is at or just above my maintenance (sedentary job).
Strive for Macro breakdown of
Protein - 200g
Fats - 100g
Carbs - rest to reach calorie intake.

Stats - age 32, height 5'11", weight 185
Picture of me current for BF estimation

image-142994744.jpg

Can I add mass with this plan. Not looking for a lot but a little more than I have now. Or am I wasting time due to lack of equipment.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You might want to get Toddgannit (sp?) involved in this thread. He does a lot of work with limited equipment and bodyweight + weight type workouts.

I think as long as your dumbbells are heavy enough such that they provide adequate resistance and you do not outgrow them in the next year you should be able to make steady gains with a good program. Also, keep in mind stagnation occurs following 3-4 weeks of doing the exact same thing, so you should think about ways to progress in intensity, volume, or exercise.

Jason Cholewa, Ph.D., CSCS

Lukedavis

Awards
Thanks. Currently I have adjustable dumbbells that go from 5lbs to 30lbs so I will probably out progress those pretty quickly if I haven't already. Maybe I'll try and get some money together for heavier set of adjustable DBs so I can progressively move up.

I don't know. Sucks to be so limited. Oh well, I'll make the best of what I got for now.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Maybe I'll try and get some money together for heavier set of adjustable DBs so I can progressively move up.
Can I ask why you are just interested in DB's?
I mean you can probably get a regular weight set with a bar and a few hundred #'s of weight, (maybe even used) for less than you'd pay for adjustable DB's I would think!?!?

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Can I ask why you are just interested in DB's?
I mean you can probably get a regular weight set with a bar and a few hundred #'s of weight, (maybe even used) for less than you'd pay for adjustable DB's I would think!?!?
This is a good point. Check Craig's list or garage sales - workout equipment is probably the most popular stuff that people buy, never use, and then sell cheap, especially since it takes up a lot of space.

Jason Cholewa, Ph.D. CSCS

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
Another good idea, if you live near a military base, sometimes (but not too often) they will give away old stuff if they are expecting new stuff in. Call the base and ask to speak to whoever is in charge of MWR (morale, wellness, and recreation). You may just luck out if you explain your situation! Good luck man, keep it up!

Lukedavis

Awards
Thanks all. Everything I have now was given to me but I guess if I was gonna buy something I could buy bar and weights but have no one to spot me if something goes wrong.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not broke just finished building my house and am up against it right now but won't be like that forever. Thanks.

Moose45

Moose45

Awards
If U live near a YMCA and have limited funds(not sure this is the case so please don't be offended) they will let U join and pay when U are able. I know our local Y has done this because my kids swim there. It was in a news letter they put out about giving back to the community.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
but have no one to spot me if something goes wrong.
Of course safety is always the first factor in training alone. That said 3-5 huge main lifts, that pretty much never need a spotter is...
Deadlifts or maybe hack lifts
Standing OHP's or clean & presses
Bent Rows and or weighted chins/pull ups
High Pulls or say shrugs
Power curls

Guys a long time ago"before chrome and shakes", built huge strong physiques using stuff like this or less.

NYiron

NYiron

Awards
  • Established
The Crow and the Pitcher

A CROW perishing with thirst saw a pitcher, and hoping to find
water, flew to it with delight. When he reached it, he
discovered to his grief that it contained so little water that he
could not possibly get at it. He tried everything he could think
of to reach the water, but all his efforts were in vain. At last
he collected as many stones as he could carry and dropped them
one by one with his beak into the pitcher, until he brought the
water within his reach and thus saved his life.

Necessity is the mother of invention.
-Aesop

Think outside the box there are so many options where picnic tables become a box for box jumps, monkey bars a pull up station, chain rings a place for horizontal rows the list is endless.

Lukedavis

Awards
Thanks again. Yesterday I did pull-ups / chin-ups on my kids A frame swing set which was a lot better than door frame. I just wanted something as close to the big exercises like squats, deads, bench press as safely as possible since I live in the middle of nowhere and workout alone.
Just have to get creative until I can upgrade my equipment.