Best Chest Workout Routine Ever? Bench Press or Pushups?

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
Hi Everyone,

To preface, I am doing Rusty Moore's Visual Impact Kettlebell Workouts.

So, I am not in the gym regularly, doing barbell and dumbbells.

So far, I have been impressed with the subtle improvements.

In the past, I have over-trained with regular gym exercises, running, etc. But, it looks like Kettlebells seem to allow for much more use, even 1000 kb swings a day, with barely showing any signs of over-training.

The only problem is that kettelbells don't target the chest.

So, if I do this for years, eventually my Chest will not be developed.
In my case, my bench press was always the strongest of my major lifts, so I am not concerned of an under-developed chest.

1. Yet, I would like to know is there a single exercise routine of "one chest workout that gets best results"?

2. I know, anything that causes an adaptation is good. But, surely, in all the magazine mania, Shawn Philips and Bill Philips over-promotion, etc. then there must be some things that work better than others.

3. Just curious, does one favor bench press or pushups more?

Personally, I like that bench press is more intense. But, others favor pushups.

4. Any other commentary?

I know, I over-think it. But, I just would love on dedicated chest workout, that I can do 1-3 times a week. Every other muscle in my body is getting blasted with this Visual Impact KB workout. But, not the chest.

Thanks

match

match

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
I actually do flies, neutral grip til I get to the top, where I go supinated (bringing the elbows closer together and squeezing my pecs for a 1 sec pause each rep).

Instead of trying to find the "best workout ever", why not just pick a different exercise (or set of exercises) to rotate into your routine that works the chest? Rotate to a different exercise every 4 weeks or so.

There's a lot of guys on here with probably way better advice than mine, so take what you like, just don't get stuck in analysis-paralysis by spending all of your time trying to figure out what is the most-absolutest-bestest-of-all chest exercise... and go lift! :D

allbrawn

allbrawn

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Interesting thread and made me think of what I was doing when my chest was visually at its best.

100 push-ups several times a day on that perfect push-up thing and my chest was more impressive then vs now, can bench 315 12 reps incline, and 405lbsx1 flat 225x33 flat.

Currently don’t do any pushups, so I’m gonna start adding them in again hahah.

My conclusion that I just made, bench press doesn’t develop chest muscles as good as a few hundred reps of pushups everyday

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
Very good.

I like that we are getting into debate.

1. As for chest development, I know Starting Strength was good.

I will just do 5 x 5 of bench, and 3 sets of unweighted dips to failure.

I will do that twice a week, and keep going until progress stops.

2. Again, this chest development is secondary to my normal Visual Impact Kettlebell Routine.

3. If anyone has a spectacular chest workout, let me know. We all know progressive overload is the real answer, but how to get there is another question.