Workout idea for son...

Firstcycle

Banned
Awards
Son is 13 and playing football. For the next year coming up I want to help him get stronger (he plays baseball also year round ) would the 5x5 be good or the traditional 4x8 be best .. Plant to keep it witht eh big compound exercises

Bunshichi

Awards
  • Established
Has he experience in the gym and has the lifting teqniques down yet?

Firstcycle

Banned
Awards
They have been working out at school... So a little. I am wanting to Do the 5x5 tjats ehatbi do and love it

Bunshichi

Awards
  • Established
If he is not that safe in the techniques now you should keep the rep range at 8 or higher. If he got good teqnique then he could start with 5 reps and even go lower over time on certain exercises to really build power without too much mass.

dds

dds

Awards
  • Established
Jim Wendlers 5/3/1 for Football would be a great start

Anabolikz

Anabolikz

Awards
Starting strength. Best beginner program out there. Will move lifts up faster than any other program and learn how to do basic lifts.

Although, Any program based on doing compound movements frequently and with linear periodization will work though.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
He's old enough to start a strength program. 5/3/1 or 5x5. If his training max is set properly for a beginner you can work on technique with him as he's progressing.

Having him do 8+ crappy reps isn't going to train him better than doing 3-5. While learning technique he needs to treat each strength training set as a group of singles to get technique down. Telling him to TnG or do max reps at a super minimum weight isn't going to tach him anything IMO.

When you have time listen to these two podcasts:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/westside-barbell/id1055347185?mt=2&i=358944460

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/westside-barbell/id1055347185?mt=2&i=356256710

It's on athlete training and developing speed/force for sports. His other podcasts discuss other things for injury prevention, etc.

flexdaddyraf

flexdaddyraf

Awards
Deadlifts power cleans and squats your son would be very strong and explosive