why is everything a sickness nowadays?

JComp

Awards
Pretty much just a rant here. I was arguing with someone about bulimia, and I say its just weak minded people. They say its a disease. Cancer is disease, bulimia is someone putting themselves in that situation because they don't have enough self control to stop, or lose weight the right way. If bulimia is a disease, why don't people in country's where they hardly get enough food to live have it? I feel I am skinny, so I work my ass of trying to change it, people think they're fat, and throw up food, and its a disease? Sorry for the rant but people who make excuses for **** like that piss me off. Just wondering other peoples opinion on the matter.

RoadBlocK

RoadBlocK

Awards
  • Established
Actually, your way off. It has absolutely nothing to do with being fat, being overweight or trying to lose weight. Bulimia nervosa, is a psychological eating disorder, that has to do with self image and perception and more often than not, the people who actually have this disorder are already skinny or in shape to begin with.

Jeremy+Gillitzer+%u00252311.jpg

Hes probably the most famous to die from the disorder: http://www.eatingdisordersonline.com/blogs/anorexia-nervosa-blogs/jeremys-journey-a-males-fatal-battle-with-bulimia-and-anorexia

You might want to familiarize yourself with other mental disorders that are quite prevalent within the sport:

anorexia athletica may include:

* Repeatedly exercise beyond the requirements for good health.
* Be fanatical about weight and diet.
* Steal time from work, school, and relationships to exercise.
* Strive to achieve and master ever more difficult challenges
* Forget that physical activity can be fun.
* Define self-worth in terms of performance.
* Rarely be satisfied with athletic achievements. Small satisfactions are fleeting and they do not savor victory; they push on to the next challenge immediately.
* Justify excessive behavior by defining themselves as a "special" or "elite" athlete.

Body Dis-morphia or body dysmorphic disorder (BDD) (or Muscle Dysmorphia) is a condition in which the affected person is excessively concerned about and preoccupied by a perceived defect in his or her physical features/body image, weight, etc, they may complain about specific features or a single feature, calves, abs, biceps, etc and it afflicts at least 10% of male bodybuilders who are chronically worried that they look puny and obsess about being too small, underdeveloped or underweight. It is estimated that 1 out of every 50 bodybuilders feels small no matter how much they work out or how muscular they are.

Conagher

Conagher

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
JComp,I understand your point but disagree with your stance that bulimia is not a sickness.However,when it comes to alcoholism,drug addiction,gambling,etc,I agree wholeheartedly.These things are not diseases,they are weaknesses.
I am a former alcoholic,and I never made excuses for it such as I was sick.I knew in my mind that it was a character flaw,and that with enough willpower and perseverance,I could overcome it.Have not had a drink in over 13 years now.