Who here has quit smoking?

Caferacer

Caferacer

Awards
  • Established
I'm prepared to get a tons of **** for this, but I smoke, especially when drinking.

With the cig tax being raised in a month, and with the new smoking ban in bar and restaurants in about a year I feel like it is time to kick the habit. One of my good friends is quitting as well, so it seems like a good time to give each other support and quit.

I've stopped for extended periods before so I'm aware of what I am setting myself up for. However I'm still up for any and all advice you all have to help me get rid of my habit forever. I have my last pack, and a nicotine replacement plan setup using an electronic cigarette (it helped before, it mainly just breaks my habit of going outside and smelling like cigs all the time)

Any advice?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
don't be a pussy, throw the stuff away and just stop. Go talk to your local cancer center and see if there is someone there who has had lung cancer to see in their hospital bed, or watch them walking around dragging an oxygen canister.

Thats what it took for me to stop :D but trying to taper off, or use the gum etc to slowly rid yourself somehow never worked for me.

maurice02

maurice02

Awards
  • Established
I can't say I quit. Piss poor thing is I work at a pharmaceutical company too and have a pretty extensive medical background and should know better...........
But I did quit for two years back and what did it for me was Welbutrin. Mild antidepressant with the side effect of assisting in quitting smoking LoL.
You might consider it. I was on it one month and quit for over two years. I did start back up when my ex and I broke up.....that was my stupidity.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
i won my ongoing battle with the tobacie beast :) took me 4 tries, but i got him.

what worked for me was a crazy supply of breath mints and ice breaker sours. it feeds the take something out of a package and the hand to mouth of the cigarette. when the urges got real bad and the breath mints weren't enough, i would take a deep breath. hold that breath in, and take another breath - like superexpanding your lungs - it gives you that "good god, my lungs hurt feeling". going to the hot tub/showering/swimming also helps, since even when you were smoking, you couldn't do these activities :)

good luck brotha.

Caferacer

Caferacer

Awards
  • Established
I was on it one month and quit for over two years. I did start back up when my ex and I broke up.....that was my stupidity.
Yea that got me started after I stopped the first time. I mostly quit for her, and had it for about 3 months. She and I broke up, and right after (I mean literally, the restaurant was across the street from a 7-11) I bought a pack of menthols.

It's gonna be a long month.... oi.

Lacradocious

Lacradocious

Awards
  • Established
You just have to go cold turkey and bear with the unpleasantness of quitting. The gum and the patches just prolong the experience.

Graglor

Graglor

Awards
  • Established
I have mint and cinnamon tooth pics in my truck, tool box, kitchen, etc. Helps me when I reach for the pack through habit to have them in my pocket or readily available. I also carry a bag of baby carrots with me so I don't eat crap in between meals. Try switching your daily routine up a bit too. Taking a longer scenic drive home from work to relax and switching from coffee to green tea helps me too. Good luck brother!!

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
One day at a time, bro. Cold turkey, go for a run each time you want a cig, that's what I did. The hyperventilation from cardio has "alleviating" effects and the endorphins also help to relieve "tha urge." I must have had 40 "last packs" before I finally quit, just stay at it. Keep trying and trying until it happens.

tattoopierced1

I smoked from 1996 to until about 2003 and stopped cold turkey.. IMHO, that is the only way to go.

Dadof2

Dadof2

Awards
  • Established
I quit smoking by switching to skoal, which I did not enjoy, and I would just take a dip only when I needed one to stave off a nicotene fit. Eventually I had completely weaned myself off of nicotene for good. This only worked for me though because I did not enjoy dipping. I imagine that some folks would just wind up with a new habit doing it this way.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Quiting smoking weed and cigarettes are different. Similar though. I've quit weed but I never picked up the cigg habit luckily.
Waaaaay different. Quitting weed was much easier, its much more psychological then physical, not that weed isn't addicting per se, anything habitual can be addictive in a sense. However, finding ways to get over bordom was the hardest part about quitting the ganj.

I found that I was much less depressed when I stopped smoking cigs. All that alone time starring off into space and contemplating life by yourself or parked in your car at some desolate spot to "relax" to a cig was so damned depressing!

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i miss weed, its been a Looooooong time. I miss it far more than cigarettes, as it actually carried some "positive" effects at least relaxation wise, and were always a casual once in a while for fun rather than every day like cigarettes. Well other than in college I should say, cause then it was every day :D

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
i miss weed, its been a Looooooong time. I miss it far more than cigarettes, as it actually carried some "positive" effects at least relaxation wise, and were always a casual once in a while for fun rather than every day like cigarettes. Well other than in college I should say, cause then it was every day :D
I have insomnia, so toward the end of my 420 days, I used it strictly for sleep aid purposes and man did I look forward to sleeping. Now, I either have to take sleeping pills or the occasional natural combination of 1000mg L-Tryptophan and 9mg Melatonin, and both methods, RX sleep aid or herbal sleep aid make me feel groggy as $ht in the morning.

FincaChick

FincaChick

Awards
I smoked for 10 years. I quit cold turkey last August and I haven't had serious cravings or urges since. I also turned 30 and didn't want to drag my bad habits with me so I also put a huge damper on drinking which benefitted me in the long run. Just try to take "triggers" out. If you gotta stop drinking for 3 weeks it's a good thing. Well, at least it was for me :). I also upped my training and just really, really held on to the thought that I didn't want any side effects from it like cancer, or emphesyma or the bad skin and what really got me was the thought of mouth cancer. The thought of having a part of my face cut out really sucks. ugh.

buuzer0

buuzer0

Awards
  • Established
Ok, maybe someone can explain this to me.

Only tobacco I've ever smoked has been the stuff at a hookah bar, flavored tobacco (called shisha, right?). I've done it on several random occasions when invited by friends or for a date but afterwards, say the next day or whatever, I've never felt the urge to go back and smoke more. Is it that it's got a smaller amount of nicotine than what's in cigarettes and other tobacco products, and that's why it's not as addicting?

Just curious.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

Only tobacco I've ever smoked has been the stuff at a hookah bar, flavored tobacco (called shisha, right?). I've done it on several random occasions when invited by friends or for a date but afterwards, say the next day or whatever, I've never felt the urge to go back and smoke more. Is it that it's got a smaller amount of nicotine than what's in cigarettes and other tobacco products, and that's why it's not as addicting?

Just curious.
Cigarettes are made with A LOT of crap with the intention of making it addicting, but I can't break anything scientific down for you.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
maybe, moreso tho its like most other habits. a few weeks of doing it consistently every day 10-20 times a day and it will be more ingrained into you than eating is

FincaChick

FincaChick

Awards

Just curious.
Oh gee. Honestly, a minty fresh cigarette doesn't taste good. For me it was a more of a habit thing. That and an oral issue. I never smoked a lot, mainly 5 cigs a day, unless I was going Hollywood then that was another story. The bar smoke prob wasn't as addicting because you weren't having one as soon as you got into your car or, after you ate, or after work... Humans are creatures of habit...

Liftergym33

Liftergym33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Just when I thought I was good someone makes a thread about cigs!, Next week will be 2 months for me, quit cold turkey! after smoking for about 14 years, I feel 150% better. Do I miss it? Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh yes, But the benifits out weight the cons , So im good with that!

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just when I thought I was good someone makes a thread about cigs!, Next week will be 2 months for me, quit cold turkey! after smoking for about 14 years, I feel 150% better. Do I miss it? Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh yes, But the benifits out weight the cons , So im good with that!
I'm smoke free for about 6 years and I still miss it, bro.

Dadof2

Dadof2

Awards
  • Established
It has been a little over six years for me too, and even now I still get cravings from time to time. I assume this is just a part of being addicted to a substance.

That being said, I am currently watching my Father die from COPD right now. He isn't on oxygen yet, but any time he gets sick, or goes out in bad weather he gets an acute COPD attack that is absolutely terrible: fever, spitting up blood, violent coughing. It is a terrible thing to watch, I certainly wouldn't want to experience it.

So even though smoking is a pain in the ass to quit, it is totally worth it in the long run.

Liftergym33

Liftergym33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I think its one of those things , for example, On Sundays I would have my coffee and smoke while I read the paper on the back patio, no I do it inside. I mean I had to change my whole day to day routine, which IMO was the hardest thing to do. 6 years is awesome man!

It has been a little over six years for me too, and even now I still get cravings from time to time. I assume this is just a part of being addicted to a substance.

That being said, I am currently watching my Father die from COPD right now. He isn't on oxygen yet, but any time he gets sick, or goes out in bad weather he gets an acute COPD attack that is absolutely terrible: fever, spitting up blood, violent coughing. It is a terrible thing to watch, I certainly wouldn't want to experience it.

So even though smoking is a pain in the ass to quit, it is totally worth it in the long run.
So sorry to hear about your father, my prayers go out to you and him! I see this in folks around town, malls, shopping centers, ect.ect. Now that I father 2 children It drives me more to stay smoke free, this is something I do want my children to see or watch me suffer from.

Caferacer

Caferacer

Awards
  • Established
Fack going cold turkey sucks. my appetite is through the roof and I am puttering around doing stuff to keep myself busy. Fixed my xbox 360, cleaned my computer, and now I'm doing homework, then gym. No downtime to think about smoking.

FincaChick

FincaChick

Awards
May not help you too much but, I kept water with me and everytime I got a hunger pang or a cig urge I took two gulps of water. My skin cleared right up and it kept me from eating. Good luck.

SamuraiSid

Awards
i quit right around the same time I started getting serious with my weight lifting. I found that having everything regimented, when to take vitams, supps, goto gym, eating every 2-3 hours. That is what helped me out the most.

And of course, whenever the cravings got bad, the gf would get on her knees to keep me pre-occupied*cough*

Worked like a charm, although I still enjoy the occasional cigar, one or two per month.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

My dad has had (at this point) half of each lung removed due to cancer. I quit smoking after the first surgery. That day. at the hospital.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have been completely clean and weight-lifting for six years, and had a five year period prior to that where my attitude was, "If you have it, bet your ass I will try it" K, E, coke, crack, Horse, RXs and so on.

One night, I was particularly high after consuming ~1g of what I thought was pure MDMA, but later turned out to be a mix of lysergic acid [acid], PCP and MDMA. I believe the concentration was later revealed to be primarily MDMA, with lysergic acid and about .1% PCP cut into. Anyway, I digress: after a very odd and eventful night, a Meth dealer named Mark, who did not particularly like me, and who lived in horribly dilapidated apartments ~three miles from my house, made me walk home at 5:30 A.M in the middle of January. This doesn't sound that arduous from the outset, but let me lay a few things out:

a) This was in Southeastern Alberta, where the average low without wind-chill in the month of January is -16.0 C [3 F]. The only reason the average is so high is because Chinooks comprised of warm coastal uplift air from the Rockies descend incredibly quickly and can produce + temperatures in a few hours. I would say a more fair estimate for "cold days" in January is -30 C [-22 F] w/ the windchill.

b) I was high as balls. This is the most important condition, because three miles in -30 C weather may as well be the Boston Marathon carrying Rosie O'Donnell. I was having severe auditory and visual hallucinations, and to this day I am incredibly surprised I made it home.

Literally the first thing I did upon waking was call my friend and say, "I'm done". The harshness of the experience itself wasn't necessarily the motivating factor for the decision, but rather, the revelation of, "A smelly Meth dealer named Mark just kicked me out of his dilapidated apartment at 5:30 AM; what the **** am I doing with my life?" So, immediately that day I gave my friend my last few g of marijuana, my last smoke pack and have not done anything since. No nicotine patches or self-help groups, just a pair of testicles and a real desire to quit.

In my completely honest assessment, the physical-mnemonic devices and preoccupation techniques you frequently hear about are utterly useless with a real and lasting desire to no longer share a relationship with tobacco. I also don't mean to devalue Suncloud's, Easy's and the others' suggestions, but merely to suggest they are functions to facilitate the realizing of your desire to quit, as opposed to techniques to produce the desire to quit itself. Unfortunately, the production of that desire is often most arbitrary and highly personal, stemming from a motivation only known to you!

A helpful to tip to search for that desire, though, may be to conceptualize 'smoking' not as a habit, but as a deep-seeded destructive relationship: the bonds of a relationship are much more ossified [rigid] than the symptoms of a habit, and therefore breaking each one takes progressively more personal techniques. Quitting tobacco use is like trying to break up with a girl who wrecks all your **** but is the best sex you have ever had: you say you want to b/c she is a freak, but the sex feels so good it is hard to sever that relationship until you realize how it is affecting your life!

Dadof2

Dadof2

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the kind words of encouragement re my Fathers illness. It serves as a constant reminder to me to take care of myself.

Caferacer

Caferacer

Awards
  • Established
I have been completely clean and weight-lifting for six years, and had a five year period prior to that where my attitude was, "If you have it, bet your ass I will try it" K, E, coke, crack, Horse, RXs and so on.

One night, I was particularly high after consuming ~1g of what I thought was pure MDMA, but later turned out to be a mix of lysergic acid [acid], PCP and MDMA. I believe the concentration was later revealed to be primarily MDMA, with lysergic acid and about .1% PCP cut into. Anyway, I digress: after a very odd and eventful night, a Meth dealer named Mark, who did not particularly like me, and who lived in horribly dilapidated apartments ~three miles from my house, made me walk home at 5:30 A.M in the middle of January. This doesn't sound that arduous from the outset, but let me lay a few things out:

a) This was in Southeastern Alberta, where the average low without wind-chill in the month of January is -16.0 C [3 F]. The only reason the average is so high is because Chinooks comprised of warm coastal uplift air from the Rockies descend incredibly quickly and can produce + temperatures in a few hours. I would say a more fair estimate for "cold days" in January is -30 C [-22 F] w/ the windchill.

b) I was high as balls. This is the most important condition, because three miles in -30 C weather may as well be the Boston Marathon carrying Rosie O'Donnell. I was having severe auditory and visual hallucinations, and to this day I am incredibly surprised I made it home.

Literally the first thing I did upon waking was call my friend and say, "I'm done". The harshness of the experience itself wasn't necessarily the motivating factor for the decision, but rather, the revelation of, "A smelly Meth dealer named Mark just kicked me out of his dilapidated apartment at 5:30 AM; what the **** am I doing with my life?" So, immediately that day I gave my friend my last few g of marijuana, my last smoke pack and have not done anything since. No nicotine patches or self-help groups, just a pair of testicles and a real desire to quit.

In my completely honest assessment, the physical-mnemonic devices and preoccupation techniques you frequently hear about are utterly useless with a real and lasting desire to no longer share a relationship with tobacco. I also don't mean to devalue Suncloud's, Easy's and the others' suggestions, but merely to suggest they are functions to facilitate the realizing of your desire to quit, as opposed to techniques to produce the desire to quit itself. Unfortunately, the production of that desire is often most arbitrary and highly personal, stemming from a motivation only known to you!

A helpful to tip to search for that desire, though, may be to conceptualize 'smoking' not as a habit, but as a deep-seeded destructive relationship: the bonds of a relationship are much more ossified [rigid] than the symptoms of a habit, and therefore breaking each one takes progressively more personal techniques. Quitting tobacco use is like trying to break up with a girl who wrecks all your **** but is the best sex you have ever had: you say you want to b/c she is a freak, but the sex feels so good it is hard to sever that relationship until you realize how it is affecting your life!
It won't let me rep you again.

First day is almost done. I'm making a batch of cinnamon toothpick to keep myself occupied over the next few weeks. Should be tasty :D At least I won't smell like **** anymore.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established

First day is almost done. I'm making a batch of cinnamon toothpick to keep myself occupied over the next few weeks. Should be tasty :D At least I won't smell like **** anymore.
i never realized how much cigarettes stunk until i had quit.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

Oddly enough, I love the smell of cigarette smoke on clothes, and cars, but despise "fresh" smoke stench.

Graglor

Graglor

Awards
  • Established

If that doesn't hit home, nothing will.

Huge Reps for you friend!!!!:cheers:

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
If that doesn't hit home, nothing will.

Huge Reps for you friend!!!!:cheers:
Thanks brother. Addicts often talk about "rock bottom", and that was near to or it for myself. I had been estranged from my parents as early as fourteen, and had "harsher" moments in-and-of-themselves, but my own pathetic state at that moment literally reverberated through me. Obviously, I started this entire ordeal very early, but I continued to be a provincial-level athlete up to the 'final descent', so to speak, into being a decrepit asshole. I think it was the fact I actually let somebody do that to me that bothered me the most; he said, "leave" and I didn't respond "**** you" like I should have, I left. Despite my young age [just about 18] I knew that I was tired of wasting my potential.

The most beneficial part was that as I was quitting narcotics cold turkey, my old athletic friends were beginning around me. I had missed two years of high school, and they were beginning to miss important years of education, while I was beginning to flourish; you can do the eleventh and twelfth grades on the internet in a few months - not necessarily the same for University!

BabyHulk

BabyHulk

Awards
  • Established
I quit with the help of a medicine called Chantix. We had this discussion before, and I decided to give it a try. I am NOT recommending this method, I am only telling my experience. The stuff works. But it can also come with some serious side effects. I had no signs of these effects until I was into my 3rd week. Extreme mood swings, irritability, lucid dreams. Luckily I had quit smoking on week 2, and dropped Chantix as well. Now I've been smoke free since "Black Friday". I went from 1 pack a day, to no cigarettes in 2 weeks. The only other unwanted side effect I had was my own fault. I put on some more pounds. And not the ones I wanted to. I never knew that metabolism would slow once quitting, until I read it. I also know that eating when I couldn't have a smoke wasn't good for me either. But enough about me, good luck man. You can do it. If I can, anybody can. When you are truly ready to quit, you will.

DmitryWI

DmitryWI

I know nothing...
Awards
  • Established
No s h i t ! I smoked for about 7 years, quit 6 years ago, and till this day I have the urge when I drink. It's easier when there is no one smokes around me but if someone does, I have to have one...
I haven't had a drink for about two years after I quit smoking, just for that reason.

P.S. I was using nicotine gum to help me quit. Helped a lot and I had no problem quitting it too. Just replaced with regular gum.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
No s h i t ! I smoked for about 7 years, quit 6 years ago, and till this day I have the urge when I drink. It's easier when there is no one smokes around me but if someone does, I have to have one...
I haven't had a drink for about two years after I quit smoking, just for that reason.

P.S. I was using nicotine gum to help me quit. Helped a lot and I had no problem quitting it too. Just replaced with regular gum.
I have a good friend who still smokes... so after we eat, I salivate at his post meal grit. When we're driving, stuck in traffic with nothing better to do, I wished I could kill the next 10 min with a grit like he's doing, when its raining outside, shiiiiiiiiit. That said, I'm thrilled I quite and wouldn't trade it for the world.

Liftergym33

Liftergym33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I quit with the help of a medicine called Chantix. We had this discussion before, and I decided to give it a try. I am NOT recommending this method, I am only telling my experience. The stuff works. But it can also come with some serious side effects. I had no signs of these effects until I was into my 3rd week. Extreme mood swings, irritability, lucid dreams. Luckily I had quit smoking on week 2, and dropped Chantix as well. Now I've been smoke free since "Black Friday". I went from 1 pack a day, to no cigarettes in 2 weeks. The only other unwanted side effect I had was my own fault. I put on some more pounds. And not the ones I wanted to. I never knew that metabolism would slow once quitting, until I read it. I also know that eating when I couldn't have a smoke wasn't good for me either. But enough about me, good luck man. You can do it. If I can, anybody can. When you are truly ready to quit, you will.
I had seen the Chantix was recalled or something do to this fact, very dangerous drug this is, some people were even committing suicide. Glad you were able to kick both though:)

Liftergym33

Liftergym33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have a good friend who still smokes... so after we eat, I salivate at his post meal grit. When we're driving, stuck in traffic with nothing better to do, I wished I could kill the next 10 min with a grit like he's doing, when its raining outside, shiiiiiiiiit. That said, I'm thrilled I quite and wouldn't trade it for the world.

Thats the truth, at work I'll still go out side with the guys who smoke just to BS, but when its sub zero like last month, I would sit inside and watch them come back in frozen! Id say hope you enjoyed that smoke! hahaha

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Nothing like hitting rock bottom to make you shape up.

Been there a couple times... the experiences that are just like "holy **** what am I doing to myself... how did I get to this point in my life." those are the true epiphanies that make you quit cold turkey.

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
I'm prepared to get a tons of **** for this, but I smoke, especially when drinking.

With the cig tax being raised in a month, and with the new smoking ban in bar and restaurants in about a year I feel like it is time to kick the habit. One of my good friends is quitting as well, so it seems like a good time to give each other support and quit.

I've stopped for extended periods before so I'm aware of what I am setting myself up for. However I'm still up for any and all advice you all have to help me get rid of my habit forever. I have my last pack, and a nicotine replacement plan setup using an electronic cigarette (it helped before, it mainly just breaks my habit of going outside and smelling like cigs all the time)

Any advice?
Short and sweet.

I wanted to quit.............First and foremost this has to be true.

Welbutrin SR for 2 weeks.................. Tapered down my smoking the first week, by mid second week NO cancer sticks..................

It has been a good 5 years since i quit smoking.

Now I am one of the infamous "ex-smokers"......lol

mindgame

mindgame

Awards
  • Established
i have been a smoker for about 3 years then quit finally this year. and hopefully clean for the rest of my life

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
or you can buy cigarettes from canada, with their demented labels....