whey isolate vs concentrate question

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
so i've always been into whey isolate because it doesn't give you gas, is more pure, has more protein per serving, better tasting, etc.

however, my parents are getting into whey protein and they've been doing a lot of research on it.

they came to the conclusion whey concentrate would be better because isolate has had more filtration done to it and the fat, lactase/o has been removed. lactase is an enzyme that helps absorbtion.

i won't get back into concentrate just because i hate the gas that comes with it, but i'm still a little unsure what i should tell them. i thought maybe mixing milk with the isolate should provide the lactase needed, but i don't know.

thoughts?

2k2ser

Awards
  • Established
I buy the ATW isolate, due to the lower fat and cholesterol content. That's my only reason for not going to concentrate. Never really thought about researching it any further.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
The only reasons that I can see for definitely going with isolate over concentrate is if you have problems with lactose (which sounds like you do) or if you are trying to minimize carb intake.

Yes, isolate has a higher protein density but you just have to use a little more concentrate, which is significantly less expensive.

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
The only reasons that I can see for definitely going with isolate over concentrate is if you have problems with lactose (which sounds like you do) or if you are trying to minimize carb intake.

Yes, isolate has a higher protein density but you just have to use a little more concentrate, which is significantly less expensive.
I agree.

I have to be very specific about which whey's I consume. Brands like Optium Nutrition bloat and gas me something fierce. I find that with brands like ATW and ISS Research whey concentrate, don't bother me.

If your worried about absorption, then pick up a bottle of Acidophilus.

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established

personally i use ATW's isolate. its my favorite thus far. and to not have clumps and gas, i dont mind paying the 10$ premium spread across 80 servings. the main reason for my post was to find out if anyone has heard that concentrate is a more preferred choice for different people , and why. i guess i figured since my parents are in their 60s, the same thing that applies to me wouldnt necessarily apply to them, but i guess not.

ill tell them to pick up an isolate from ATW or a casein/whey blend.

thanks for the opinions!