What's everyone's EDC?

Fasted

Awards
  • Established
I prefer 9mms. 500mag takes too long to reset, plus thats gunna be goin through all type of walls. I got a sig saur p226 and an s&w sigma, both 9s. Ammo is cheap, and fits both guns so no chance of loading the wrong cal.

mmorso

mmorso

Awards
  • Established
I prefer 9mms. 500mag takes too long to reset, plus thats gunna be goin through all type of walls. I got a sig saur p226 and an s&w sigma, both 9s. Ammo is cheap, and fits both guns so no chance of loading the wrong cal.
Idk 9mm is just kinda a bullsh1t caliber IMO.. I'd go .45ACP or .357mag

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Idk 9mm is just kinda a bullsh1t caliber IMO.. I'd go .45ACP or .357mag
A bs caliber based on what criteria/data/evidence? I get that everyone has their preference, but I don't think it's a bs caliber at all, especially with modern ammunition/hollowpoints/etc.

mmorso

mmorso

Awards
  • Established
A bs caliber based on what criteria/data/evidence? I get that everyone has their preference, but I don't think it's a bs caliber at all, especially with modern ammunition/hollowpoints/etc.
Lol... based on the fact it has one application; i.e. midget defense..

I'm joking.. I just like larger caliber pistols for bear protection and putting down animals on the ranch. I figure a .44mag will also take care of business with a human as well so it's got a dual purpose

So no evidence data or ballistics to back the statement that 9s are bullsh1t

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Lol... based on the fact it has one application; i.e. midget defense..

I'm joking.. I just like larger caliber pistols for bear protection and putting down animals on the ranch. I figure a .44mag will also take care of business with a human as well so it's got a dual purpose

So no evidence data or ballistics to back the statement that 9s are bullsh1t
Haha, that's fair enough, it just depends on the application. In fact, I've seen more and more experts recommending 9 over 45 for many normal EDC situations (i.e. no large animals considered) due to larger magazine capacities, less recoil, cheaper ammunition to practice with, and actually similar performance to larger calibers with modern hollow points.

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
Something to consider, if you have to legally and justifiably defend yourself, there's still a possibility that your gun will get confiscated. Even for a short while. Do you want a high dollar gun confiscated? You said you have many ranges. You might go rent a few different guns to see which ones you shoot well, before dropping hundreds of dollars and find out you don't like something.

S&W is running rebates, I think they are still running. $75 rebate on a Shield. Pick your flavor. Online I've seen them sell for $300-$75 rebate. You can't go wrong with a Glock, if it fits your hand. I carry a G19 or a Springfield Xdm 9mm.

Don't get the mst expensive one you can afford. Use the extra money on more ammo and training. This past year I've taken 2 classes that were quite humbling as far as learning techniques that I didn't know I needed. Being able to stand and kill paper is only a beginning. I was decent at that. But my first class taught more mindset. It taught me how to draw and fire from concealment, without ventilating my leg. How to do magazine changes under stress. Plus much more. Training like that is usually a few hundred bucks to start with. Look for a place you can get some hands on practical training. It will be worth more to get a Glock and a good class vs a Kimber.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Do you really need one? If this is to have self defense means while out and about at night considered a high lumen tactical flashlight with strobe. Easier to carry and ok for clubs, bars, etc.

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
Do you really need one? If this is to have self defense means while out and about at night considered a high lumen tactical flashlight with strobe. Easier to carry and ok for clubs, bars, etc.
Many states don't allow carrying in bars or restaurants that seve alcohol. Or if they do, you can carry if you aren't consuming the alcohol. But drinking and guns never ends well anyway, so if you want to carry and protect yourself, you should be/need to be adult enough to make smart decisions like don't drink.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I recommend this
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NBKWBU8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use this and gave one to my GF. It is very powerful. No need for the 1000 lumen one, 550 is impressive.

If you get one do not test the strobe by looking at it yourself. Do not test it on another person unless they are 50' away. It will temporarily blind anyone at close range. The shorter the distance the more pronounced the disorientation. Impressive.

ChocolateClen

ChocolateClen

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Yeah I mean I carry a knife but the issue is that there are more robberies around campus now with guns than knives, guess they realized people don't typically fight back if a gun is shown. Knife is a bit too close for comfort for me in a situation like that. I'm not looking for something crazy expensive either I just want something reliable and durable that won't go through a human, 3walls, and a fridge before stopping. Preferably just the human if need be.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Bullet choice will help lessen those risks.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/smith-wesson-m-p-shield-9mm-w-o-thumb-safety-10035.html

Find a dealer close to you to have it shipped to, check out what they charge for a transfer first. Then send in the rebate.

That's provided a local dealer doesn't have one for $300. Rebate counts no matter where you buy, as long as it's new.
I came here to get suggestions on a cheaper handgun and this is perfect. Lol

It was between a handgun and an AR, a handgun is cheaper and more practical so that's the logical one to go with for now.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
the French Connection .38 police special, 2" barrel. 5 shot I believe.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Australia is awesome. Been stumbling around large cities on my own for over 20 years and only ever got in one fight....with a drunk Scot who thought I was William, some fellow who apparently had slept with his wife.

chemjr

chemjr

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Got 3. 22lr .223 and 5.56 lol
I kinda view that as two, as 5.56 and .223 are really so close you ought to just get a 5.56 and can run Cheaper .223 all day.
Just finished my 300 blackout 7.5 for my "zombie gun" and 12.5 5.56 w scope for hunting. Yes, 5.56 IS a great hunting round.

As for edc, I like the ruger lc9. Slim, can't tell it's there and sub 300 if yu shop around. Also love the m&p shield 9. And anyone who says 9mm is not a good edc obv hasn't read any of the leo or FBI reports. There's a reason the 40s are going away and 9 to replace them- same reason 556 took the place of the possibility of 308 ar- cheaper ammo that is as effective for what it Needs to do. Flame on.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
As I cannot use guns here, I have a police torch for self defense. It is retractable with metal plates so I can easily carry it.

The light is bright enough to disorientate any one from a decent range, and the back end is solid enough to whack someone with enough force to incapacitate them.

Had one homeless drugged up guy try to take my bus card from me on the one day I had to take the bus. His female companion and him tried to coerce me into giving up the card, I refused amd they got agitated. Had the guy walk up to my face to intimidate me, I just stared right back at him until he moved back to try fight me. Pulled out the torch, flashed his face, he turned around and I kicked him hard enough that he ran off haha.

Torch 1 homeless 0

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
That's the exact model I was considering to replace my lcp2 as edc. Just concerned about the bulk and the weight. I have a thin build. Is it comfortable? Does it print? What position do you carry it?
Holster choice will have the most impact on how much it prints.

KingAnt

KingAnt

Awards
  • Established
Holster choice will have the most impact on how much it prints.
I'd say choice of clothing and thickness of firearm (single stack, double stack) and carry position . More so then holster choice in regards to printing.

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
I'd say choice of clothing and thickness of firearm (single stack, double stack) and carry position . More so then holster choice in regards to printing.
Sure, skinny jeans and spandex don't help concealment. But a single stack in a crappy owb holster will still print more than a doubles tack in a quality holster designed to hold close to the body. Even a quality duty type holster is a bad choice for concealment.10069.jpeg

This conceals better than when I carried the same gun in a single iwb holster at 3 oclock. This holster has a wedge on the back and a claw on the side that intentionally tilt the gun into your body at the top and the end of the grip more than a regular holster.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Ruger LCP with crimson trace. Sometimes a S&W Shield .40. Almost always have a kabar nearby too.

KingAnt

KingAnt

Awards
  • Established
Sure, skinny jeans and spandex don't help concealment. But a single stack in a crappy owb holster will still print more than a doubles tack in a quality holster designed to hold close to the body. Even a quality duty type holster is a bad choice for concealment.View attachment 169860

This conceals better than when I carried the same gun in a single iwb holster at 3 oclock. This holster has a wedge on the back and a claw on the side that intentionally tilt the gun into your body at the top and the end of the grip more than a regular holster.
Is that kryptek white camo on that holster?
If so, that's pretty sweet.
I dig on holsters that have a mag carrier built in like that. I been wanting one but I'm so picky that I havnt been able to find one I like.
That one you have actually looks pretty legit. The only thing that concerns me is the single clip contact point to the waste band.
Does it come loose when drawing?
I got an iwb alien gear holster that I like a lot. I use to use it at 4 o clock position but it was printing to much so now I carry appendix with a different holster set up.

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
Is that kryptek white camo on that holster?
If so, that's pretty sweet.
I dig on holsters that have a mag carrier built in like that. I been wanting one but I'm so picky that I havnt been able to find one I like.
That one you have actually looks pretty legit. The only thing that concerns me is the single clip contact point to the waste band.
Does it come loose when drawing?
I got an iwb alien gear holster that I like a lot. I use to use it at 4 o clock position but it was printing to much so now I carry appendix with a different holster set up.
http://store.hbcconcealment.com/plus-one/

I've got several holsters from here, and know quite a few gus that use this as well. The single clip is fine with this metal clip. My belt is 1.5" leather, but HBC only uses 1.75" clips, so then it did move around some, but never come out. This metal clip is a 1.5" clip, and is from Vedder Holsters. I have a Vedder Light Tuck also and the clip is rock solid on my belt. So I swapped the clip out. It's never come out or off my belt iduring numerous all day training classes. The first time I used one of these holsters was for a vehicle low light class. I borrowed one from my instructor since I just started appendix carrying. We were in and out of a Dodge Neon, on the ground beside it, practically under it. The holster was awesome, so I ordered one.

Another trick I use is I thread my belt skipping the first belt loop. So my buckle is actually over my left hip. That gives me nothing but flat leather across the middle, and not having a bulky buckle on top of the holster.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
That's the exact model I was considering to replace my lcp2 as edc. Just concerned about the bulk and the weight. I have a thin build. Is it comfortable? Does it print? What position do you carry it?
Sorry, I didn’t respond to this! I have no problem carrying it. I have a IWB Kydex “aggressive” holster with minimal printing (and I use the extended mag with my .45). I carry appendix... I don’t have the mobility to carry anywhere else lol

I moved my laser to my grey/black xds 9 (this is my night stand/home defense)

IMG_0910.JPG

chemjr

chemjr

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Sorry, I didn’t respond to this! I have no problem carrying it. I have a IWB Kydex “aggressive” holster with minimal printing (and I use the extended mag with my .45). I carry appendix... I don’t have the mobility to carry anywhere else lol

I moved my laser to my grey/black xds 9 (this is my night stand/home defense)

View attachment 171620
I wonder if anyone realizes that the xd series is made in Croatia...? Most think all springfeilds are made in America but noooo. Oh the things you learn working in a gun store.
P.s.- Walter pps! Or Mossberg shockwave im feeling saucy