What size bands

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
@MrKleen73 I'm gonna toss this here instead of cluttering your thread any further bro.

I want to get bands since I can keep them in my gym bag.
I want them for all three lifts, squat/press/pull.

But I have never had to buy bands before so I don't know what sizes to get.
recommendations?

I have pins for banded squats and deads just not for bench so i'll have to figure that out later. thinking of just running the band under my back.

ANABOLICWRWLF

ANABOLICWRWLF

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
I use my mini, monster mini, and light bands pretty regularly FWIW. Mini bands for warm ups and sometimes doubled over on lifts. Monster minis on lifts and lately tied around the uprights on my rack for chest flyes (killer pump!). Light bands on lifts for dynamic days. Haven't used the average or strong at home yet but used them reversed on bench when I was training with a coach.

I bench in my rack so I use band pins for bench as well. I think under the bench would probably work fine? Other folks probably have better input there.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
awesome thanks man. I'm thinking then maybe I'll get 2 of the monster minis, and 2 of the lights to start out that should give me good variance in how much tension I'm adding and then I can figure out if I need to add more.

I bench in my rack so I use band pins for bench as well. I think under the bench would probably work fine? Other folks probably have better input there.
that's what I was thinking too, probably get myself stuck the first time lol

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I have used a lot of EFS bands over the years training equipped in the past with several EFS athletes.

This advice is assuming you are only planning to really use them to add resistance to the bench, squat, and deadlift. No assistance like lifts and no reverse band training.

Unless you are squatting and pulling 700+ or benching 400-500+ I see no reason to invest in the short or long version of light bands or anything higher.

I would stick to micros, minis, and monster minis. Also a mini plus a monster mini feels very similar to a light band anyways, so it kinda covers this.

I would get a pair of long micros, minis and monster minis for bench and squat. I would then get a pair of short minis and monster minis for pulls.

For bench without pins. I would not run the band behind your back. I would either set them up with heavy dbs and plates (a pain) or just run the long bands under the bench itself. Just know that know that the later option can make the tension from even a mini pretty high, so the micros will be great here.

Make sure to rotate your bands a lot and check for length differences in your pairs. They will stretch out, but if you keep up with it, they can be maintained to at least be similar in length so you wont have worry about having a squat with minis and one side is heavier due to that band being shorter lol.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I have used a lot of EFS bands over the years training equipped in the past with several EFS athletes.

This advice is assuming you are only planning to really use them to add resistance to the bench, squat, and deadlift. No assistance like lifts and no reverse band training.

Unless you are squatting and pulling 700+ or benching 400-500+ I see no reason to invest in the short or long version of light bands or anything higher.

I would stick to micros, minis, and monster minis. Also a mini plus a monster mini feels very similar to a light band anyways, so it kinda covers this.

I would get a pair of long micros, minis and monster minis for bench and squat. I would then get a pair of short minis and monster minis for pulls.

For bench without pins. I would not run the band behind your back. I would either set them up with heavy dbs and plates (a pain) or just run the long bands under the bench itself. Just know that know that the later option can make the tension from even a mini pretty high, so the micros will be great here.

Make sure to rotate your bands a lot and check for length differences in your pairs. They will stretch out, but if you keep up with it, they can be maintained to at least be similar in length so you wont have worry about having a squat with minis and one side is heavier due to that band being shorter lol.
appreciate that! i had similar thoughts about doubling up but didn't think about them stretching at different rates over time...

I did order the below a week or so ago, although I haven't seen shipment confirmation from elite yet.

for fun, I would like to do some squats banded from the top so that I can gain the value of the very heavy weight on my back like a walk out but the assistance I obviously need at the bottom. I might not do it often but would like to play with the concept some. generally speaking though yeah, like you had suggested all the banded work I'm most immediately interested in was from bottom...