Training for size help

BlackPlague

Awards
Iv always done a bro split
Monday chest, Tuesday back , Wednesday arms , Thursday shoulders , Friday legs
Most of the time heavy and I got strong 8-10 reps.
Ex I'm 165 and can bench 265 for 3x10
But the problem lies with joints hurting and I don't really just want to be strong Iv always wanted to gain size and it's just not happening recently iv decided to try a high rep low weight is thus wrong say something like , 40% max for 14 to 20 rep range,
strength is not the goal I want size
Any advice will be taken seeing how I can not figure out how to add mass only strength thanks in advance

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
But the problem lies with joints hurting and I don't really just want to be strong Iv always wanted to gain size and it's just not happening recently iv decided to try a high rep low weight is thus wrong say something like , 40% max for 14 to 20 rep range,
Any advice will be taken seeing how I can not figure out how to add mass only strength thanks in advance
One click only

BlackPlague

Awards
What's your diet like? The stimulus for size comes from training but the actual mass comes from a steady calorie surplus. But if you can bench that much you probably already know that
I'm on a 3600 calories a day my metabolism is really fast most days I feel sick from eatting but I have tricks I can eat more , the problem lies on muscle size that has been my main goal but it's just not happening I'm kind of skinny for 5'9 atleast that's what people tell me and that hurts becouse I put in the work and I eat a lot I track my meals b3fore bed last night I ate 1600 calories in penutbutter right before bed

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Couple questions, natty or not, Height and bf% or ruff idea.

Reason being. If your average height of 5'8-5'10 and your a lean 165 then you don't have a ton of room to grow without putting on a bunch of fluff in the process. Strength can progress for a long time natty but size comes the first few years and then your fighting for a pound or 2 a year "muscle" gaining weight is just a matter of eating more food, but building muscle without significant fat as a natty is tough.

Also, hypertrophy training is much different then Strength training, you can nench 265×10, I can as well, but I'd be telling lies if I said my chest is doing all the work, bench working chest, shoulders triceps and even the lats and traps are part of it. You gotta learn how to use the target muscle for the job. Keep training your bench, but after bench you need a crossover or fly movement, a machine press of some sort, basically 2 or 3 more exercises that you can specifically target the chest, slow controlled negatives and explode back up. Building muscle is about stimulating that specific muscle and as you get stronger on strict controlled reps you get bigger. Progressive overload of some sort combined with a surplus of calories and just enough rest to recover then repeat.

BlackPlague

Awards
Nice. I'd add 1 more whey shake with pb and banana per day and then use higher reps and lower weight at the gym like you've said. 3600 calories isn't enough for me to gain much mass either. If you're not getting 15-20 tough sets per muscle group per week on your bro split you might want to change that up too.
Probably time to go push pull legs then 15 to 20 sets is a killer but I'm willing to check it out I'll add another 200 calories or so and hold that ground for a month and see how it works , any rep range suggestions?

BlackPlague

Awards
Couple questions, natty or not, Height and bf% or ruff idea.

Reason being. If your average height of 5'8-5'10 and your a lean 165 then you don't have a ton of room to grow without putting on a bunch of fluff in the process. Strength can progress for a long time natty but size comes the first few years and then your fighting for a pound or 2 a year "muscle" gaining weight is just a matter of eating more food, but building muscle without significant fat as a natty is tough.

Also, hypertrophy training is much different then Strength training, you can nench 265×10, I can as well, but I'd be telling lies if I said my chest is doing all the work, bench working chest, shoulders triceps and even the lats and traps are part of it. You gotta learn how to use the target muscle for the job. Keep training your bench, but after bench you need a crossover or fly movement, a machine press of some sort, basically 2 or 3 more exercises that you can specifically target the chest, slow controlled negatives and explode back up. Building muscle is about stimulating that specific muscle and as you get stronger on strict controlled reps you get bigger. Progressive overload of some sort combined with a surplus of calories and just enough rest to recover then repeat.
Probably about 10% bf if I had to guess I have abs that are easy to see on a daily basis , it's been about 5 years since a sycle but that's not about to be much longer I have all my stuff comming in already pct and hcg comming my way , I want mass not strength that's always been easy for me , plus my time to shine is going down hill I'm almost 40

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Probably about 10% bf if I had to guess I have abs that are easy to see on a daily basis , it's been about 5 years since a sycle but that's not about to be much longer I have all my stuff comming in already pct and hcg comming my way , I want mass not strength that's always been easy for me , plus my time to shine is going down hill I'm almost 40
Same, I'm 38, if you ran cycles before and you been off for 5 years and your 10% at 165 your probably maxed out on natty gains, but still on cycle you want to train for hypertrophy like I explained above. The difference between me on cycle vs trt for size is about 10-15lbs without trying but anything past 210/215 I gotta work really hard for

BlackPlague

Awards
Same, I'm 38, if you ran cycles before and you been off for 5 years and your 10% at 165 your probably maxed out on natty gains, but still on cycle you want to train for hypertrophy like I explained above. The difference between me on cycle vs trt for size is about 10-15lbs without trying but anything past 210/215 I gotta work really hard for
I keep thinking about going and seeing about trt , hypertrophy is the key to size ?

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
If you've only ever done a bro split you should definitely change it up. Different people will respond best to different frequencies, volumes, and training intensities.

Can always expand more, but starting at splitting into 2 sessions per body part per week at 6-8 sets per session is a good jumping on point. Increasing volume a bit over time then eventually splitting that into 6-8 sets per session over 3 sessions per week or going back to more of a bro split based on preferences and tolerances.

Varying rep scheme as well, but the change in frequency can be a solid driver of progress if you've only ever stuck to one type of frequency.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I keep thinking about going and seeing about trt , hypertrophy is the key to size ?
Just make sure you need trt. It would be really foolish to have a natural testosterone level of 900 throw it away for trt to have a level of 900. That's exactly the same.