What kind of pets do you have?

robdog

robdog

Awards
  • Established
I apologize for knocking the poor ill bred stubby "pits." It's not their fault they've been selectively bred to be something they aren't.
Ya some of them just look so unnatural. An APBT should be muscular, but also athletic and agile. Some of the poor little things Ive seen look like musclebound stumps with heads as big as their bodies.

DreamOfWeight

DreamOfWeight

Awards
  • Established
Goddamn you are dumb. So tell me what "two breeds" are mixed to make a pitbull. So long legs = pitbull and short and stubby legs = American Bully? Just shut up because you clearly have no idea what you are talking about.
omg i can tell im waisting time... the legs are an example of what dog is breed. ONCE AGAIN>. quit with the name calling! ur on a forum, u cant talk sh*t in person... good job ur a hardass :clap2:

robdog

robdog

Awards
  • Established
Exactly! APBT is a Pitbull.

And by calling them a 'mixed breed' (the guy in question) I think he is under the impression that Breeders are still forced to cross-breed every time to produce the Pitty.
How long til u get your OEB?

DreamOfWeight

DreamOfWeight

Awards
  • Established
who is forced?? some ppl like the taller athletic dog... yet some like the short thick "meaner looking" breed... by calling them all pits is not right... thats why theis dogs have such a bad rap... everyone thinks they are all the same.by seperating the breeds we can at least break the steriotype of all pits being the same..you would really have to be an owner to know what i mean. im trying to post some pics right now, it is not working

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
who is forced?? some ppl like the taller athletic dog... yet some like the short thick "meaner looking" breed... by calling them all pits is not right... thats why theis dogs have such a bad rap... everyone thinks they are all the same.by seperating the breeds we can at least break the steriotype of all pits being the same..you would really have to be an owner to know what i mean. im trying to post some pics right now, it is not working
He had a pit.

DreamOfWeight

DreamOfWeight

Awards
  • Established
i have another puppy but, i cant get the pic up....THE black apbt is mine

and if u have owned a pit, then u should know about the ignorant comments ppl say... yesterday a father told his kid my dog was a human killer....WTF.. and when ppl aske what kinda of dog it is, they respond better when u tell them the full breed name rather than just saying PITBULL

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
i have another puppy but, i cant get the pic up....THE black apbt is mine

and if u have owned a pit, then u should know about the ignorant comments ppl say... yesterday a father told his kid my dog was a human killer....WTF.. and when ppl aske what kinda of dog it is, they respond better when u tell them the full breed name rather than just saying PITBULL
Not being confrontational, but I am confused as to your position. Do you think that the nomenclature 'Pitbull' and 'American Pitbull Terrier' denote differing breeds?

People often mistakingly class AmStaffs and Staffs as Pitbulls, but correctly, a Pitbull and APBT are synonymous.

DreamOfWeight

DreamOfWeight

Awards
  • Established
ya but thats like saying all americans are mexican american. its just too broad.. alot of ppl have staffs other mixes yet still call them pitbull AND apbt... the title pitbull is so tarnished, i just dont see that as proper.. if the breed has a name it deserves to be called an APBT

EDIT: no... i know a pitbull is an american PITBULL terrier... but thats what it is... AN AMERICAN PITBULL TERRIER>> not a PITBULL ... i dono if u get my drift.. mabey im not explaining it right?

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
ya but thats like saying all americans are mexican american. its just too broad.. alot of ppl have staffs other mixes yet still call them pitbull AND apbt... the title pitbull is so tarnished, i just dont see that as proper.. if the breed has a name it deserves to be called an APBT
I think that is the stem of your confusion - allowing others to muddy your opinion.

The name, 'Pitbull' does refer, when used properly, to APBT. There is no need to further distinguish it. If it is a mix, say, "It is an AmStaff/Pit mix", as the name Pitbull is properly referencing APBT. No need to broaden that name.

DreamOfWeight

DreamOfWeight

Awards
  • Established
but how is that different then just stating AMERICN PITBULL TERRIER. ... thats kinda like saying u have a poodle/lab mix..... of course u use the name lab, but thats not its real breed name... just like pit/pitbull, is not the full APBT breed name...im just saying when ppl ask for the type of dog i have i say APBT, cuz thats what it is....i dono if i explained this right... i have to go pick up a present for fathers day...

pitbulls is too general..... thats all....in my opinion thats like saying if u have a boston terrier, its a terrier, considering there is so many terrier breeds out there, i dono, mabey im worng... idono, i gotto go

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
DoW, i think you're confusing yourself on their argument.

robdog

robdog

Awards
  • Established
Look dude, I'm not going to argue with you anymore. I used to own an APBT and I am definitely an advocate of the breed. I just think you are a bit confused. I understand that the name "pitbull" has been given a negative connotation by the media, which is why sometimes I would tell people my dog was an Amstaff (even though she was an APBT). But the fact remains that the proper name of the breed is American Pitbull Terrier. If it is a pitbull, it's an American Pitbull Terrier. If it's a mix, then it's a mix.

DreamOfWeight

DreamOfWeight

Awards
  • Established
so when i say pitbull... that is only in reference to a apbt?

FreakyStyley

FreakyStyley

Awards
No pets at the moment; probably getting a Bengal cat when I get my new place.

Dadof2

Dadof2

Awards
  • Established
I will attest to the bum rap that pits get. My buddy and his family have several pits, and they are great dogs (they are very sensitive).

As far as what pets I have:

2 ferrets

and

10 chickens (although they are utilized for their eggs, and insect control, and not so much kept as pets. Even though baby chicks are really cute)

My kids have allergies so we can't have dogs or cats.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
how do they behave and how big did yours get? I am actually considering one of these for my next pet, although that won't be for a year or 2
they are kind of cat-ish, dislike water, perch in high places, etc. very protective of family, very high prey drive. you have to be cautious about opening doors to the outside world around them, and can expect to never take them for a walk without a leash. mine range from 15-23lbs which 19 or so is normal. nice dogs tho, very smart. the male easily can open the crates from the inside or outside, but doesn't when its bedtime or he is being put away (the only time i've watched him do it was before the females were fixed and one was in heat). He'll actually open it from the outside himself if its time to go to bed and its closed :D

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well fellas, I decided to not spend 2k on the cane corso when I visited my local shelter and found this little guy! His name is Niko and he's 8months and a spaniel mix. Great damn dog!

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Makes me want to get another dog. I loved watching my 2 dogs play for hours on end.

ThunderHumper

Banned
Awards
mini dachsun, no idea how to show a pic.

if zombie apocalypse happens this month, she'll be my trusty companion watch dog

blueice

Awards
551721_10151241044663083_1231698781_n.jpg

Mine is a labrador retriever who really loves to swim and play ball, huge ball like basketball

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
what.....nobody owns cats here??? hahaha

Great seeing such a mix of nice dogs

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
what.....nobody owns cats here??? hahaha

Great seeing such a mix of nice dogs
Now, being a male, it's only natural for me to immediately dislike a cat when I see one. Oddly, when I met my wife in Michigan (girlfriend then), she had just recently found a tiny black cat in a wood pile somewhere in Detroit. He's the coolest cat I've ever been in contact with, and he acts much more like a puppy in some regard. He's very playful, likes to get thrown around and pushed on the floor, and even plays tug-o-war with me.

He's pretty awesome...he's also fat even though I watch how often and what he's fed. Endomorph-kitty

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
A customer of mine lost their dog xmas morning

usealittle

usealittle

Awards
  • Established
Wow bro, that's really sucks! I don't know what I'm gonnna do when my buddy goes. He's only 4 but he is at the moment my only kid, well I don't have any children so he's what I got.

Sent from my iPhone using Am.com

mik14

mik14

Awards
My dogsy died this morning.

Only 5.5 years old.

This was him

https://sites.google.com/site/bassethoundviatorbenedeky/

I`m devastated and can`t shake the sadness off at all.
I lost my boy 3 years ago now, he was only 10months old it was tragic. I still think about him every single day... It was eating me up and messing with me cause for a long time I would think what I could have find to change wat happened and he would still be hear. Then I came to grips with it all and realize what I's happened can't change no matter what and I have to keep moving forward! Something good comes from something bad and I believe because of him and what happened made me who I am today. Made me aware that life is not a joke and to make everyday count.. I became a better person because of what happen.

Just keep your head up and keep moving forwards and try find what good has come from this, there will be something that he had changed about you!

I got my boy tattooed on my arm so I still see him every morning and he still comes for a walk with me and my other dogs! Lol all the best