Weight belt is REQUIRED for squats at my gym

SteaminDman

Awards
The head trainer at my gym told me that I MUST wear a weight belt for squats, and if I don't, NONE of the gym trainers will be permitted to spot me on that exercise. He stipulated that (1) that's their policy (2) it's for my own protection (3) I'm the ONLY one with this problem.

This is a big problem for me especially in this gym because they don't have a power rack; just an unreliable squat rack that's not capable of self spotting.

Many of the gym trainers are professional bodybuilders, and they're pretty friendly and knowledgable too. Plus I've already paid for 2years membership.

I've researched and decided that I don't want to wear a belt for squats.

Thoughts anyone?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
ask for a refund, join another gym. belts do more harm than good if you aren't squatting over 250lbs or so

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
you can wear the belt really loose, so it doesn't support anything.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I agree with Easy, but would merely state that the weight level should be relative and not absolute - i.e., if 225LB is your 1RM [one rep max], then you should be utilizing a belt. A safe range, for me at least, is using a belt on anything above 80% / 1RM [eighty-percent of my one rep max].

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
I agree with Easy, but would merely state that the weight level should be relative and not absolute - i.e., if 225LB is your 1RM [one rep max], then you should be utilizing a belt. A safe range, for me at least, is using a belt on anything above 80% / 1RM [eighty-percent of my one rep max].
i can see that from a buisness standpoint, why there making u wear a belt.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
but i dont see how a gym who has professional bodybuilders as trainers wouldnt have a power rack?

IRON4LIFE

IRON4LIFE

Awards
  • Established
I say don't wear a belt and ask someone who looks like they know what there doing to spot you....unless its written in there rules or was typed in your contract...they cant force you to wear it...i know'd id bitch a fit and get my money back...then id find another gym that didnt have gay rules like that

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established

I agree.

I don't see why any modern gym wouldn't have a self supporting rack, I know there are step out racks that gym have, but a power rack should be standard at this point.

joelast

joelast

Awards
I would ask that guy what his fuc*in problem is, he specifically singled you out? Usually you have to sign a waiver that says you won't sew the gym if you get injured to join so they shouldn't be worried about that.

I agree with everyone else though, get your money back and find a new gym.

rabican

rabican

Awards
  • Established
Find a friend to spot don't use the trainers...I never ask trainers to spot me

IRON4LIFE

IRON4LIFE

Awards
  • Established
^^^ agree...half the time...at least at the gym i go to...the trainers don't know ****..there usually these 6'5" 140 dbags who just passed the PT test....lord knows they prob have never done an ATG squat or pulled a huge dead from the floor...find the most dedicated, driven guy in the gym...most likely he will know how to properly spot ya

jasonschaffin

Awards
  • Established
The head trainer at my gym told me that I MUST wear a weight belt for squats, and if I don't, NONE of the gym trainers will be permitted to spot me on that exercise. He stipulated that (1) that's their policy (2) it's for my own protection (3) I'm the ONLY one with this problem.

This is a big problem for me especially in this gym because they don't have a power rack; just an unreliable squat rack that's not capable of self spotting.

Many of the gym trainers are professional bodybuilders, and they're pretty friendly and knowledgable too. Plus I've already paid for 2years membership.

Thoughts anyone?
Why do you feel they singled you out? Is it youre the only person who doesn't wear one? Or you're the only person who MUST wear one?
I would say that if you're the only one in the gym they MAKE wear a belt then it is probably for poor form and you may be better off. If it's policy and you're the only one not doing it, get another gym.

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
Why do you feel they singled you out? Is it youre the only person who doesn't wear one? Or you're the only person who MUST wear one?
I would say that if you're the only one in the gym they MAKE wear a belt then it is probably for poor form and you may be better off. If it's policy and you're the only one not doing it, get another gym.
I dont think a belt is going to fix poor form.

jasonschaffin

Awards
  • Established
Obviously a belt won't fix his form. But I'm not there to fix it for him. If you squat with poor form I'd say you're safer with a belt then w/o. Obviously if your form sucks fix it first, guess I thought that went without saying.

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
Obviously a belt won't fix his form. But I'm not there to fix it for him. If you squat with poor form I'd say you're safer with a belt then w/o. Obviously if your form sucks fix it first, guess I thought that went without saying.
sorry man not calling you out just wanted to clarify. Maybe ask a trainer to teach you how to squat if your form sucks? or buy a crappy belt and wear it extremely loose.

acoz

acoz

Awards
Why is a belt an issue if your hittin heavy weights its the smart thing. Yeah I guess if your not doing a full squat or your not going heavy but why squat then. :smokin:

raginfcktard

raginfcktard

Awards
  • Established
you shouldn't need safety equipment to lift safely!

SteaminDman

Awards
thanks everyone for replying.

jasonschaffin - I'm just starting out on squats with very light weights and concentrating primarily on good form. According to the head trainer, ALL people who use their squat rack WEAR a belt, and I am the ONLY oddball who doesn't and that is unacceptable.

It's a real letdown because for the most part the trainers at that gym are pretty helpful. Joining another gym would be difficult because there are VERY few gyms where I live at.

SteaminDman

Awards
haha...that's an interesting solution. I guess I would have to wear it loose enough to not support anything, but yet tight enough to appear that I'm following their rules so they'll be willing to spot me.

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
ok.... you shouldn't need a spot if you are going light.....

SteaminDman

Awards
Why is a belt an issue if your hittin heavy weights its the smart thing. Yeah I guess if your not doing a full squat or your not going heavy but why squat then. :smokin:
i'm just starting out on squats. I want to get my form solid before I go all out. I've read from many sources that it's not a good idea to use a belt when starting out.

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
i'm just starting out on squats. I want to get my form solid before I go all out. I've read from many sources that it's not a good idea to use a belt when starting out.
thats true. you need to build your stabalizers

SteaminDman

Awards
i must say that I'm bewildered. The head trainer and most of the trainers are HUGE professional bodybuilders and know all the exercises inside-out [well it really sounds like it anyway]

...and yet the insistence on the belt for squats.....it's ironic

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
does your gym have belts for everyone to use? chances are they are cheap crappy belts stuffed in some dark corner. Pull one of them out ask your trainers to teach you how to squat while wearing a loose belt.

SteaminDman

Awards
does your gym have belts for everyone to use? chances are they are cheap crappy belts stuffed in some dark corner. Pull one of them out ask your trainers to teach you how to squat while wearing a loose belt.

nah...i'd have to go out and buy one. any ideas on what kind of belt would be best? thx in advance

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
you doing ass to ground? you probably wont hit anything crazy heavy for a while, a plain cheap leather belt is a decent start

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
if you are serious about getting into heavy squats inzer is the way to go but if you just want something to appease the meatheads at your gym google valeo

alwaysgaining

alwaysgaining

Awards
  • Established

Thoughts anyone?
i dont use a belt untill the weight gets heavy
like 5 to 3 reps weight then i ware a belt

BiggerGeek

Awards
I never wear a belt. If someone told me I need to wear a belt i would tell them they need to shut up.

p00ndawg

p00ndawg

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Im accustomed to wearing a belt. I wear one all the time. I lift fairly heavy tho.

Lacradocious

Lacradocious

Awards
  • Established
If your gym is full of professionals and they are so big on safety, then they should have proper equipment. If it's your form that is freaking them out, then they should have a squat rack that will allow you to safely drop the weight without causing further injury if need be.

alwaysgaining

alwaysgaining

Awards
  • Established
well I never squat for more than 5 reps does that mean I should always use a belt?:31:
if those 5 reps are very hard and could cauz u to strian and lose fourm
5 rep im talkin bout is like 85% to 90% of mi max

alwaysgaining

alwaysgaining

Awards
  • Established
I never wear a belt. If someone told me I need to wear a belt i would tell them they need to shut up.
lol wow just wow... evan when u max im talkin like 500lbs + u dont ware a belt, i cant wait till mi lower back and core r that strong to hit mi old maxs without a belt
this is wat i strive for!!!

mclovin30

mclovin30

Awards
As far as I know wearing a weight belt while doing squats and deads will not allow you to use your lower back and stomach muscles as much. For example if a football player did squats always wearing a weight belt then went out in the game and hit someone off the line they would be more likely to injure themselves because they always trained with a weight belt while lifting.

I have a leather weight belt in my gym bag but I do not use it.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Just dump the weight off your back a couple times until you bend a bar, then they will either spot you or cancel your membership lol :)

If you buy a cheap belt and wear it about three notches to loose it is not going to give you a lot of support but it is going to teach your to push your abs out throughout the movement which is important when you get to heavier weights.

BiggerGeek

Awards
lol wow just wow... evan when u max im talkin like 500lbs + u dont ware a belt, i cant wait till mi lower back and core r that strong to hit mi old maxs without a belt
this is wat i strive for!!!
I don't ever really MAX out. Closest I go is three rep. No need IMO, unless you are a power lifter.